Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So...should I come back?????????

BoombadiLBoombadiL Member Posts: 50

I'm a big Star Trek fan, bought the game at launch played fer 2 months.  I became pretty bored with the ..  I don't know if monotany is the best description,  the same thing over and over again.   Anyway's after looking thru these wonderfully negative threads an looking thru some of the official forums and things don't look to great.  Besides that I'm bored an wondering if anyone can gimme a good reason to resub .  thanks in advance fer any input good er bad....

Comments

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

its only 15$, imho totally not worth it. but it will cost you 15 to find out.

edit: the complaints on the sto forums havent changed, there just more censored, so if you were dissappointed before, i would think things wont have changed. id at least wait till feedback starts coming out about the season 2 patch.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Not really much new stuff to come back to.  There is a difficulty slider that makes the mobs harder but the amount of improved loot is not really worth the extra effort.  I fought a battleship on elite last night and the fight took me 15 minutes to finish and all I got was an engine battery.  Most of the time I dont use the slider and just finish the missions faster.

Season two has walkable ship hallways but you cant do anything but walk around in them.  A trophy room to look at in your ship and a whopping 8 new klingon missions.  The Klingon missions are spaced at different levels so you get 2 between 10 and 20, 2 between levels 20 and 30 and another 4 missions between 30 and 40.  Not much to make you play Klingon just yet.

I have heard that the new diplomatic missions for the fed are nice but I could not tell you how many there are.  Mini games are coming like dabo in DS9 but it is just a money sink since there is nothing to spend your credits on once you hit RA5.  They are raising the level cap up a few levels, from 45 to 51 I think and adding another task force or something like that.

I would recommend waiting until season 3 comes out in the fall to come back.  That way there should be two patches worth of missions for you to work through and enough new content to fill up an entire month.  Right now if you resub, you will be out of new content in a week or two and probably not play the game during the last few weeks of the sub.

Good news, Zinc got the boot.  Fanbois and Corporate people are denying it but he is gone and Dstalh is now calling the shots.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

Originally posted by BoombadiL

I'm a big Star Trek fan, bought the game at launch played fer 2 months.  I became pretty bored with the ..  I don't know if monotany is the best description,  the same thing over and over again.   Anyway's after looking thru these wonderfully negative threads an looking thru some of the official forums and things don't look to great.  Besides that I'm bored an wondering if anyone can gimme a good reason to resub .  thanks in advance fer any input good er bad....

Leonard Nimoy sais no.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If you quit any MMO you should stay away for at least a year, the games changes slowly and most of your issues will still be there.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

stay away from this game.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• BoombadiLBoombadiL Member Posts: 50

yea i agree with the waiting part , at least the rational part of me (which is very small compared to the other) says that.  I was watching some Voyager's episodes yesterday an just had a hanckering to blow some shit up with phasers.  It's really just too bad Cryptic droped the ball on this one and I don't know if they can fix some of the major underlying issues the game has.  It was designed poorly from the start I think but with the IP they will have diehard fans that dont care an just wanna play an online star trek game... anyways thx fer the input i still haven't made my mind up yet.. as i said before im jus bored and its to fuckin hot to do anything outside...

• GaldereGaldere Member Posts: 27

Don't come back this month. Season two will be on the server proper at the start of the next. Small but positive changes if you are eager to try it again already, but as a previous poster is right to point out, it makes sense to wait til more major changes are implemented in season three.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Naw.. don't come back yet.  As someone else said in this thread.. wait around a year, then try it out again.  Season 2 dosen't really offer much except diplomatic missions... which are just choosing your response to npc's in a text tree.  Nothing significant has really been done with the game since launch.  Klingon fans are still getting the shaft, c store items aplenty are still getting added.... nothings really changed. 

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

I would wait about two months after season two hits, and then see what people are saying about it. You can make a more informed decision then.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Put simply....NO!!!!  At the moment the STO team have been doing nothing more than holding constant money grabs.  Although the Executive Producer has just (cough) "decided to spend time with his family".  So let the new guy in charge prove himself. 

Season 2 is (currently) being staggered onto their test server, but what's there so far isn't great.

I would suggest waiting until at least season 3, as I'm sure we'll see a change in direction (in some way) now they have a new structure.  At least the new guy has canned the next fraction.  Saying it was basically an insult to the player base to work on it, while the Klingon fraction was a mess.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Dinendae

I would wait about two months after season two hits, and then see what people are saying about it. You can make a more informed decision then.

I have a bunch of notarized affidavits and a spreadsheet listing all the kids who said "Season 2 is do or die time for me" or something along those lines. It shall be fun watching the lingusitic gyrations and mental contortions said kids go through when season 2 doesn't cut the mustard.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

Originally posted by saxifr

I have a bunch of notarized affidavits and a spreadsheet listing all the kids who said "Season 2 is do or die time for me" or something along those lines. It shall be fun watching the lingusitic gyrations and mental contortions said kids go through when season 2 doesn't cut the mustard.

after 6 months of the exact same complaints coming up over and over again on the sto forums and them not being addressed by cryptic, does anyone seriously beleive any of the diehards left will quit rather than beleive cryptic about the "miracle patch" that season 3 is going to be?

this ones dead jim, cryptics moved on to there next mmo. cant wait to start hearing the hype about that, hope cryptic at least has the common sense to re-name there company before trying to release another game. 

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

You'll get the same responses as you did when the 45 day 'miracle' patch hit, and the 90 day, and the rest. Some will mean what they say, but most on the STO forums will start talking about the next big update.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Originally posted by raistalin69

after 6 months of the exact same complaints coming up over and over again on the sto forums and them not being addressed by cryptic, does anyone seriously beleive any of the diehards left will quit rather than beleive cryptic about the "miracle patch" that season 3 is going to be?

this ones dead jim, cryptics moved on to there next mmo. cant wait to start hearing the hype about that, hope cryptic at least has the common sense to re-name there company before trying to release another game. 

Man, if I could buy a car from Cryptic, I would. I wish they were responsible for the quality of drinking water in my town. If I had a baby, I would trust them with it!

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

I would agree if you are not active now then wait a month or so to get Season 2 in full swing. I would however find any other forum for opinions on this game since the haters hear drown out people with reasonable conclusions.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Loke666

If you quit any MMO you should stay away for at least a year, the games changes slowly and most of your issues will still be there.

This.  Particularly with this game, as pretty much every aspect of the game is lacking and they're having to improve every system at once, while other games generally have to add a little more high end content and squash bugs before they start adding content for all...

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

I'd say that it's not worth giving them any more money. What is new will only give you a day of game play, if that.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

You'll get the same responses as you did when the 45 day 'miracle' patch hit, and the 90 day, and the rest. Some will mean what they say, but most on the STO forums will start talking about the next big update.

"Cryptic never claimed season 2 would be a massive update."  "Season two was never supposed to add more than a few missions for klingons."

I think that pretty much covers the reponses in the next couple of weeks. Oh and the devs will go back and edit/delete the dev post that did claim the above.

heh ya, and they'll ban more people for not following the scripted crappola. I wonder if it's possible that STO could be the first game in history to ban itself out of existence? :P

Originally posted by bstiff

Oh and the devs will go back and edit/delete the dev post that did claim the above.

All I can say to that is that it too them long enough to start doing that in the first place. I lost track of how many times over the post-launch months they would make a claim, only to have someone link to a statement earlier that was the opposite of the new, oficial line.

Originally posted by bstiff

Oh and the devs will go back and edit/delete the dev post that did claim the above.

All I can say to that is that it too them long enough to start doing that in the first place. I lost track of how many times over the post-launch months they would make a claim, only to have someone link to a statement earlier that was the opposite of the new, oficial line.

Do you know if the people who got that 90 day deal that Cryptic initially tried to reneg on have expired yet? Personally, I haven't done any looking for it, been to busy playing and having fun in STO to write about it.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• imp0imp0 Member Posts: 54

Don't come back. At least not anytime soon.

Originally posted by saxifrPersonally, I haven't done any looking for it, been to busy playing and having fun in STO to write about it.

Not sure if that is sarcastic or not. If it isn't, it's hilarious that some would still try and spin things like that. Even most of the hard core CDF that have shouted down people voicing their many many disappointments with STO on their forums for months aren't trying to pretend there's any long term fun in STO, or enough to keep them busy, anymore. They talk about occasionaly  logging in for a few minutes to do dailies and waiting for "the big update" (which invariably is a big let down, and so they talk about the next next big update).

• zazzzazz Member UncommonPosts: 408

Originally posted by Talonsin

Not really much new stuff to come back to.  There is a difficulty slider that makes the mobs harder but the amount of improved loot is not really worth the extra effort.  I fought a battleship on elite last night and the fight took me 15 minutes to finish and all I got was an engine battery.  Most of the time I dont use the slider and just finish the missions faster.

What!?!? theres a MMO with a difficulty slider ? lmfao

Thats the funniest thing ive ever heard haha..

Originally posted by zazz

Originally posted by Talonsin

What!?!? theres a MMO with a difficulty slider ? lmfao

Thats the funniest thing ive ever heard haha..

ddo actually had a dif slider too, it was actually pretty good in that game, it made some of the end game quests a lot more challenging and rewarding. but of course the game has to be instanced, which in and of itself is not a good thing for any mmo imho.