Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ten Whatifs and One Poll About RealID

saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

So we all have heard about this RealID thing hitting the Blizzard forums, the Blizzard friend list, and possibly even the in-game addons API.

I've got some what if questions.

• What if you're a judge, prosecutor, cop, etc? I know of a phone company that has actually had to *buy a house* for someone like this when they put their name on caller ID by accident

• What if you're a 14-year old?

• What if you're a teacher?

• What if you don't want to discuss your online hobby with your coworkers or in a job interview?

• What if you've already been harrassed or stalked by someone who doesn't have access to your personal info yet?

• What if you're separated from an abusive significant other?

• What if you don't want to be hassled by debt collectors in game or embarrased by them in-game or on the forums?

• What if you have someone harrassing you in real life and they use this to follow you in-game?

• What if you don't want telemarketing troglodytes and spammers data mining the information available on the forums and in-game to blitz you for sales with their products?

• What if you don't want a record of bits and pieces of your in-game and forum conduct published on the internet, permanently, under your REAL NAME, for any reason? Because that is what can and will happen.

There will be no more getting out of a bad or crappy guild,. renaming or re-rolling to avoid someone for any reason.

I'm sure these are things the lawyers at Blizz have thought about. I'm sure there are some customers thinking about these things as well.

Here's my poll

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

Comments

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

What if people just don't post on the WoW forum? No problems with revealing their name then.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Dreathor

What if people just don't post on the WoW forum? No problems with revealing their name then.

Have you read about it being part of the in-game API?

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

This discussion has been closed.