Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Battle.Net RealID Poll & Discussion.

Comments

• FlaimeFlaime Member Posts: 21

Regarding parental controls...on another forum where we are discussing this, a poster who has kids that play WoW has not been able to get these parental controls to work at all to opt out. 

Regarding the linked article....agreed, VERY interesting read, and I'm glad you picked up on that 'plans haven't been announced' bit, too. That is not a no, it is a resounding heads up that more is on it's way.

What ELSE does Blizz have up it's corporate sleeve?

• witchboywitchboy Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Kraoss

Originally posted by witchboy

Originally posted by Flaime

Blizzard response:

"[We] will be carefully monitoring how people are using the service ... Real ID is a new and different concept for Blizzard gamers -- and for us as well -- and our goal is to create a social gaming service that players want to use."

There you have it, folks, their TRUE goal, and it has NOTHING to do with forum trolls. 

This is so far the only response I've found posted, anyone see any other Blizzard statements yet?

What's really going to piss me off is if the players have to have their names exposed and not the employees. I am not cool with a catch 22.

I agree and also disagree with this.

People in positions of authority, or rule enforcers with draw much more heat then some random Jane that posts "I think Gnomes are cute.".

You won't find FBI agents going around posting how they are FBI agents. Cause people in roles like these will draw more attention then someone who isn't trying to enforce any rules on them.

So, while I don't agree with the double standard, i can see why it might have to be this way especially after people tried to prove a point with that CM. 

Finding someone, by their name is not hard. At all. The internet has a long memory.

Is there someone you want to find?

Not currently. 

I've been asked to find others, you'd be surprised how much information I can dig up with a name and a generalized area of where someone lives.

to prove my point, one of the moderators posted their REAL NAME on the forums, within minutes someone posted his physical address. The post was quickly deleted. 

it takes almost no effort at all. 

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

Not currently. 

I've been asked to find others, you'd be surprised how much information I can dig up with a name and a generalized area of where someone lives.

to prove my point, one of the moderators posted their REAL NAME on the forums, within minutes someone posted his physical address. The post was quickly deleted. 

Too bad it wasn't Bashiok they found.

You know what takes even less effort? Me getting people's CC info, and I don't even need to meet them in person to get that.

Eleanor Rigby.

• hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457

Originally posted by khorvik
    Join the campaign -- www.stopblizzrealid.org

I'll be adding that to my sig I suggest we all do it and spread that link around. Blizz will continue with their plans unless extreme pressure is put on them.
  • KraossKraoss Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by Treekodar

Not currently. 

You know what takes even less effort? Me getting people's CC info, and I don't even need to meet them in person to get that.

So true.

I know two people who have had Credit Cards opened in their name illegally, in both cases they didn't even use the internet at all, and in both cases the people who did it were caught.

Jail isn't so bad I hear.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

I voted '(Nay) World of Warcraft's popularity and the state of information security make this incredibly dangerous'.

Why? Well, self preservation tbh.

I am 100% sure I am the only person on this planet with my specific name. So that makes me too easy to be found and wow is full of twisted people (I should know, I'm one of them) :P

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

So true.

I know two people who have had Credit Cards opened in their name illegally, in both cases they didn't even use the internet at all, and in both cases the people who did it were caught.

I hear they do unspeakable things to your behind, in jail that is.

And guys, don't ask me how you steal people's CC info, for I will not tell you because not only is it illegal it is also highly unethical and generally mean to the person/family.

Originally posted by Bunnyking

I voted '(Nay) World of Warcraft's popularity and the state of information security make this incredibly dangerous'.

Why? Well, self preservation tbh.

I am 100% sure I am the only person on this planet with my specific name. So that makes me too easy to be found and wow is full of twisted people (I should know, I'm one of them) :P

I must admit, the combination of your avatar and what you said right there made me smile quite a bit.

Eleanor Rigby.

• witchboywitchboy Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Treekodar

Not currently. 

So true.

I used to hunt people down on contract. my main job was to track down people who were DDOS'ing websites. Opening credit cards is nothing. The damage that could be done to someones life is insane. 

Back when I did this you could  create a secondary identity by Mail. I have second a Real name, Birth Certificate and Social Security number. I set it up for this reason alone, in case things became too public. I'm sad I'm considering using it, I never thought I'd see the day.

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by The_Grump

Blizzard response:

"[We] will be carefully monitoring how people are using the service ... Real ID is a new and different concept for Blizzard gamers -- and for us as well -- and our goal is to create a social gaming service that players want to use."

There you have it, folks, their TRUE goal, and it has NOTHING to do with forum trolls. 

This is so far the only response I've found posted, anyone see any other Blizzard statements yet?

Please post the URL so we can all see where you found it. Not that we doubt you, of course, it simply makes things easier for all of us.

No problem....except I cannot find the original link where I saw it, but here is another one that has an article about it as well, on softpedia...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Blizzard-Ready-to-Hear-Feedback-on-Real-ID-System-146720.shtml

I'm googling the google news to see what I can find on it or any other responses. 

addendum... just found this article from the Orange County register...

http://www.ocregister.com/news/real-256809-blizzard-forums.html

interesting read...

Thank you for the links. The last article was especially interesting, as Blizzard's responses didn't seem to give a full answer to the question. Simply put, they played politics and people cannot afford for Blizzard to play politics with this issue.

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I must admit, some people saying 'the sky will fall' (ie 'no one is safe anymore with real names on WoW forum') are taking it too far - you don't have to post - but the people that keep on saying 'nothing to worry about' I find it even more an attitude to frown upon.

It's like going on vacation and having a generally carefree attitude with your bags and wallet in a country where you should pay extra heed. Sure, you could be the tourist from whom nothing gets stolen, but having an absentminded, carefree attitude towards your personal goods and not keepin an eye on your bags and wallet definitely increases the chance of you being one of the tourists becoming the victim of theft.

Being aware of the dangers and taking measures is always better than being indifferent and thinking/expecting nothing will happen. And that's even when you don't belong to one of the higher-risk groups.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

I going to post (hopefully!) just one more thing here as food for thought.

In the past, Blizzard has demonstrated that it has an absolute wealth of really fantastic ideas. I could go on to post them but it will either be too many examples or not enough, so I'll leave it at those who are familiar with Blizzard know this to be true and those who aren't familiar with Blizzard simply don't have the experience. That said, while Blizzard does have a wealth of fantastic ideas they have the surprising tendency to implement and support them very poorly. This last bit requires a few examples and we can see this from certain Battlegrounds in WoW being ghost towns to the DF tool giving players no real reason to play World of Warcraft over Instance of Warcraft to Starcraft 2 coming out in 'episodes' to this fiasco with Battle.Net and RealID.

Yes, Blizzard is rather brilliant but there seems to be not much in the way of follow through and genuine forethought behind at least the aforementioned examples. I'm quite sure that many of the respondents can list many more examples, too. The point, though, isn't to bash Blizzard but to give credit where credit is due. For years they've reaped the benefits of bringing MMORPGs out of uber-nerdom and into something that is more mainstream, giving more people the chance to play these games and more developers the chance to make these games. To be fair, they should continue to reap the benefits of their actions: that's why it's called 'desert'.

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.

• KraossKraoss Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by cyphers

I must admit, some people saying 'the sky will fall' (ie 'no one is safe anymore with real names on WoW forum') are taking it too far - you don't have to post - but the people that keep on saying 'nothing to worry about' I find it even more an attitude to frown upon.

It's like going on vacation and having a generally carefree attitude with your bags and wallet in a country where you should pay extra heed. Sure, you could be the tourist from whom nothing gets stolen, but having an absentminded, carefree attitude towards your personal goods and not keepin an eye on your bags and wallet definitely increases the chance of you being one of the tourists becoming the victim of theft.

Being aware of the dangers and taking measures is always better than being indifferent and thinking/expecting nothing will happen. And that's even when you don't belong to one of the higher-risk groups.

I understand these points, and risk will have to be weighed by the indivisual before taking part.

Weighing risks, and mitigating damage.

• LrgShadowLrgShadow Member UncommonPosts: 61

Originally posted by bastionix

Indeed.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• nexus1gnexus1g Member Posts: 172

My vote: (Yea) People need to see that their are consequences for their actions, it's the only way. - 11.7%

Blizzard pwns internet anonymouty. Good job, Blizzard. It's about time we have a static identifier on the Internet.

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I'd like to know why your boss cares about your RealID...

Trolls got some pictures. Is there a problem in there?

Scammers have your name. So........what are they going to do with it? Will you be more likely to click on the wor1d-of-w4rcraft-battle-net-password-auth.com link if the email has your name?

Pervs I can see. But block the number. Call the police.

A killer doesn't come to your house to kill you. They stay in the area that they know and feel safe and secure (and good places to dump the bodies).

Stalkers... I just can't see this being a reality. Having a stalker from the people you know or have estranged yourself from is rare enough as it is. Of course, your stalker's real name will be known too, so it's a double-edged sword for them.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by nexus1g

My vote: (Yea) People need to see that their are consequences for their actions, it's the only way. - 11.7%

The problem I have with the reasoning in the above option is...

There's a much more fitting consequence to a troll's actions: Ban him.

He flames the forums, ban him from the forums. Flames someone in game, ban him from the game.

Easy, right? Logical. Hell, I'd even say poetic. 

Who would have thought?! :)

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Scammers have your name. So........what are they going to do with it? Will you be more likely to click on the wor1d-of-w4rcraft-battle-net-password-auth.com link if the email has your name?

A killer doesn't come to your house to kill you. They stay in the area that they know and feel safe and secure (and good places to dump the bodies).

Stalkers... I just can't see this being a reality. Having a stalker from the people you know or have estranged yourself from is rare enough as it is. Of course, your stalker's real name will be known too, so it's a double-edged sword for them.

I'll answer that

A) Someone hiring you might not be so keen about hiring a WoW player , you do know what kind of image WoW has for anyone who doesn't play it? Basically it's not something to brag about. And yes bosses use the internet a LOT to inform themselves about new "recruits" (we must thank Failbook for that)

B) Troll will remain and most likely cheat the easily cheated system , so basically the bad guys wont be punished like you claimed, this is the real world , where bad people always find a way around it . But on the other hand they will now be able to use your name and any information they can find about you with your name to troll you. So ye basically it's like giving a murderer a gun , it's simpling arming trolls .

C) Well , i don't think scammers would be more dangerous due to Real ID myself .

D) Nothing to add. Apart from , some countries don't have efficient police forces . In my country it took the police 45 minutes to get to my grandma's appartment after a neighbour reporter burglars entered the building. And i'd add to that they have so much shit to deal with this is the kind of cases they won't even BOTHER solving. If the perve threatens to rape you than ye they might move their arse.  So my point would be: WHY FEED THE SICK PEOPLE? No but really how hard is it to understand Real ID is simply feeding the bad guys. This for what? a reduction of casual trolls, wouldnt a decent moderation do the same? Oh yes but that wouldnt earn them money.

E) Ok , seriously? What world do you live . In the past years :" Rapists kidnaps girls and murder them afterwards, some where burried alive. "  " Teenager disguised himself as the Joker and stabbed 12 babies in a daycare center, he claimed in front of the court voices in his head told him to do it" " Teenager takes his father's rifle and shoots at any black person in sight, even women and children" , and i could go on. There are sick people out there , optimism will get you nowhere , prevention will. And Real ID is a slap in the face of "prevention" . 

F) While rare it just needs to happen to you. Actually i have noticed that most Real ID fans are in some kind of "it only happens to others" state of mind. Just wait until something similar happens to you or anyone close to you. Than you'll say: We didn't listen! we didn't listen!

All in all: Rather safe than sorry. Real ID is not going to help anything , just create more problems.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457

The easiest way to deal with trolls is close the forum for good. Do we really think at this point our feedback is considered in anything blizz does so why have a farce of it? Its easy to tell now that they just to use our private data to line their pockets with shinnies.

• utopiumutopium Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by generals3

So i guess everyone (me included) suspecting they would implement it in the game someday aren't wearing tin foil hats. Obviously if they wouldn't even think about doing it they would have said "NO" as Real ID is hurting their PR . The fact they're using a vague answer implies they're thinking about it but prefer not to say it like that, the WoW forums are like a forest-fire as it is, this kind of news would turn it into a living flamethrower (if you catch the lame metaphores :p)

Sometimes, looking at the past can give you an idea of the future...

So, what's old Blizzard been up to lately?

+ Introduced paid services - including a bunch of stuff (name change, faction change) they said they'd never do

+ Introduced forum advertisements

+ Introduced armory, with list of recent in-game activities - sure it's neat for some people, but why oh why can't I opt out of it? Feels like I should be able to...

+ Introduced paid Blizzcon streamcast - oh well, why not?

+ Introduced RMT and the famous Sparkly Horse - what's going on? Blizzard is caught mid-jump with a shark beneath it?

+ Introduced RealID - sure, it's nice to continue friendship in other games, but why does it have to be my Real Name? In the virtual world I'm KillaDude2000, my alter ego John Doe-Smith doesn't really have anything to do with it.

+Introduced Facebook integration and Real Name requirement for the forums - Say what? This was guaranteed to be controversial, but they're just going to ride out the storm, aren't they?

Looking at the above - why would it stop there? Any reason at all?

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I just got perma-banned from the wow forum for posting this link  (which i found right here on MMORPG.COM):

http://asnowstormbyanyothername.blogspot.com/

I guess for Blizzard as long as it's YOUR info that available it's allright, if it's theirs however, it's a whole other thing.

• TsukieUTsukieU Member Posts: 559

Welp, if there was ever any reason not to go back to WoW, this would be it in spades.

I feel bad for the women or people with particularly unique names that are going to be harraunged by this new system.  Have a question in the tech forums?  Nope, better not post if you are female or foreign!

Way to go Blizzard!

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by Aguitha

I just got perma-banned from the wow forum for posting this link  (which i found right here on MMORPG.COM):

http://asnowstormbyanyothername.blogspot.com/

I guess for Blizzard as long as it's YOUR info that available it's allright, if it's theirs however, it's a whole other thing.

Blizzard / activision are/became hypocrits first class. "Post your comments, we will take them into consideration" they said... Hah , than they say even if there was a lot of angre and angry feedbacks they will proceed with it as planned. Hypocrisy at its best !

And i have been doing some research and looked around on gaming sites and everywhere it seems a majority is against . And the only people in favor say the same: people will become more responsible ... Not in the 21st century they won't. If you want people to become more responsible about the content of their posts make of trolling a Federal Offense and worth Jail time . Than trolling will stop , but allowing any weirdo to see the Honest Player's Name is just ridiculous.

EDIT: good news people , apparently you can already check people's Real ID in-game with Gearscore .

"www.whataboutpp.com/users/vhell/upload/gearscore32.jpg"

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

Originally posted by generals3

I'll answer that

A) Someone hiring you might not be so keen about hiring a WoW player , you do know what kind of image WoW has for anyone who doesn't play it? Basically it's not something to brag about. And yes bosses use the internet a LOT to inform themselves about new "recruits" (we must thank Failbook for that)

B) Troll will remain and most likely cheat the easily cheated system , so basically the bad guys wont be punished like you claimed, this is the real world , where bad people always find a way around it . But on the other hand they will now be able to use your name and any information they can find about you with your name to troll you. So ye basically it's like giving a murderer a gun , it's simpling arming trolls .

C) Well , i don't think scammers would be more dangerous due to Real ID myself .

D) Nothing to add. Apart from , some countries don't have efficient police forces . In my country it took the police 45 minutes to get to my grandma's appartment after a neighbour reporter burglars entered the building. And i'd add to that they have so much shit to deal with this is the kind of cases they won't even BOTHER solving. If the perve threatens to rape you than ye they might move their arse.  So my point would be: WHY FEED THE SICK PEOPLE? No but really how hard is it to understand Real ID is simply feeding the bad guys. This for what? a reduction of casual trolls, wouldnt a decent moderation do the same? Oh yes but that wouldnt earn them money.

E) Ok , seriously? What world do you live . In the past years :" Rapists kidnaps girls and murder them afterwards, some where burried alive. "  " Teenager disguised himself as the Joker and stabbed 12 babies in a daycare center, he claimed in front of the court voices in his head told him to do it" " Teenager takes his father's rifle and shoots at any black person in sight, even women and children" , and i could go on. There are sick people out there , optimism will get you nowhere , prevention will. And Real ID is a slap in the face of "prevention" . 

F) While rare it just needs to happen to you. Actually i have noticed that most Real ID fans are in some kind of "it only happens to others" state of mind. Just wait until something similar happens to you or anyone close to you. Than you'll say: We didn't listen! we didn't listen!

All in all: Rather safe than sorry. Real ID is not going to help anything , just create more problems.

A) If you're worried about WoW ruining your career, you shouldn't be playing it.

B) I didn't say anything about handling the trolls at all. What I did say is, "So what?" So they have some pics and info that you put out there. What does it matter?

C)

D) I know about the police. But you just call the office to have a report made. But the best is just blocking the number.

E) I'm thinking less of people in your area vs. people in the next state over or something of that nature. The reason I discount people in your area is because you'd be likely to meet them anyway. Also, you're much more likely to have something happen to you sparked in real life than over the Internet. Unless you're wanting to meet up with someone online, I've only heard one report of an actual internet stalking.

F) I don't feel that way at all. I'm a very secure person. However, I feel that anonymouty online lowers the security of our experience.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

OH SHIT

IN GAME TOOOO!!!!

Philosophy of MMO Game Design