Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Battle.Net RealID Poll & Discussion.

Comments

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

Originally posted by Kyleran

I frequently tell people in game and even on these forums where I live. I do not wish to have to hide it.

My name is so unique there would be no way for you to not find me almost instantly.

And while its true, you can't tie my name in unless I post on the forums, I consider it part of the service to post on the forums of a game that I subscribe to, and I don't want the hassle that this could potentially bring me.

I'm so protective of my privacy that I never use my forum ID here as an in game avatar name, don't need anyone stalking me somewhere over something I posted here.

Perhaps it's just me not understanding you correctly, but if you post on the forum your first and last name will be displayed and it is optional if you want your main characters name to be displayed too. If you don't display your main characters name too, then they won't be able to tie your name to your character.

Originally posted by scuubeedoo

My boss would fire me if he learned i am still playing WoW... You see there was another guy in my job that was a very bad employee and he also went that far into playing WoW at work... My boss doesn't really know what WoW is but knows that this ex-employee had to do with it, so when he hears of WoW his mind immediately reminds him that ex-employee and gets nuts. It's like when my mother back in the 90's would turn nuts when i would tell her i was going to a rave party... Cause she had a lot of misinformation from TV.

So am i ashamed of anything? No.

Do i have anything to hide? A lot... Cause i want my job.

Tell your boss how it is - unlike in the movies - ones boss does not necessarily work for the devil.

Eleanor Rigby.

• AoCrulesAoCrules Member Posts: 104

This is so bad thing. I got lots of girlfriends. I've fucked probably over 5k chicks. They KNOW my name, I'm not kidding. I dont really want to see ANYO of them when I'm playing WoW. Thanks Blizzard!

Hater of hater of World of Tank. Latest wargame from wargaming.net.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Their forums.. their rules.

I'l just stop posting.

This have been a good conversation

• AoCrulesAoCrules Member Posts: 104

Its not going to change anything, people just use fake names, I wonder how many celebrities we're going to see like Jenna Jamesson, Bush etc. What they're going to do sue us.  .

Hater of hater of World of Tank. Latest wargame from wargaming.net.

• KilltaskKilltask Member UncommonPosts: 37

Would Ozzy, Mr. T and William Shatner have to use their stage names or their real names?

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Rule #1 of the internets; NEVER give your personal details to strangers.

Apart from the privacy concern; that people SHOULD be able to play their online games anonymously for their own peace of mind and whatever their reasons, this has the potential to get people hurt or killed. Plain and simple.

As I wrote before, within a population of millions, you can count the nutcases by the thousands. This only facilitates and/or tempts them to do crazy stuff in real life if they were so inclined.

Especially kids and female gamers are vulnerable to this. But also police employees can get in trouble because of stalking by ex-cons for instance. There are a load of freaks out there and being able to play online games anonymously is the only safeguard you have against being singled out.

If anything, our privacy should be protected by companies that need our personal details for a subscription model. Now all subs to Blizzard/Activision games pay them to kill your privacy and potentially your safety. i hope a lot of people will end their subs over this if this goes through.

INCREDIBLY bad move.

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Treekodar

My boss would fire me if he learned i am still playing WoW... You see there was another guy in my job that was a very bad employee and he also went that far into playing WoW at work... My boss doesn't really know what WoW is but knows that this ex-employee had to do with it, so when he hears of WoW his mind immediately reminds him that ex-employee and gets nuts. It's like when my mother back in the 90's would turn nuts when i would tell her i was going to a rave party... Cause she had a lot of misinformation from TV.

Tell your boss how it is - unlike in the movies - ones boss does not necessarily work for the devil.

Maybe that's what Blizzard wants me to do... make people that don't know about WoW more familiar with it by exposing my interest on this specific game to my social circle... But why would i risk my job for doing another's company promotion and for free? It isn't very smart. And my boss no he doesn't work for the devil but that doesn't mean he has the free time to listen for things irrelevant to the company.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Trolls aren't going to stop because of this. Trolls are mostly underage, so their RL name won't show but their mom or dad's.

Another issue is that trolling is just attention seeking, people will still want attention, it's not going to stop, you won't change how their brain is wired overnight. They will still troll, because that's why they post.

• wilbergwilberg Member Posts: 182

You went to raves. Thats enough to be ashamed of.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Just letting you all know. This thread is now stickied as the RealID poll & discussion thread. Please do not create new threads to discuss this topic as they (and other existing ones) will be locked and redirected here.

Thanks!

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

in that case I'd like to iterate this post made to garret on his Blog:

Garret you clearly see that the reason given for implementing RealID is not valid enough a reason, and that its logic is infantile at best.

The kind of logic you use when you prefer a discussion to ride around in circles.

However if you discard the thing as merely a crowd pleaser and look for a valid reason why such a change is made, you should look to the profile of the CEO (kotick) and CFO (Chief Financial Officer) Thomas Tippl , and what governs their decissions in general.

A good place to start is here : http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252

As it shows, the man is hired to make money, and his salary is dependant on the profit he makes for the buisness. It also shows that the general aim has been to integrate the Blizzard user with facebook. This has nothing to do with forum trolls, and everything to do with buisness.

I dont understand how you could have missed that compilation I link to in preparation for your blog entry. Atleast I think it would be a major deal if someone with your platform would just get some of this information across to the gamers, because frankly what i find the most annoying with this whole realID issue is how blatantly they manipulate and misinform the subscribers, of the reasons behind this feature.

But do you think it would have caused more of an uproar and given people better ammunition if Blizzards blue post had started with:

Due to the overwhelming possibilities for gadget and addon profits, just waiting around the corner for Blizzard entertainment, we have decided to integrate our millions of subscriber info with facebook - wether you like it or not.

Now dont come tell us that we are forcing this on you, afterall, you can allways disable your facebook, or stop posting on our forums. Should you need tech help, wait in the 6 hour phone Q for some direct guidance.

The irony is that Kotick isnt shy about the real reason when doing interviews for serious media. I guess he knows gamers dont really go the extra mile to get the information:

What this will ultimately result in is a surge of new titles designed for use on Facebook and other networking sites, with Kotick mentioning both Call of Duty and Guitar Hero franchises as a possible way to cash in on some of that social gaming dough.

the above is actually from an interview he did in 2009 - but lets all remember, together, that the RealID is implemented to STOP THE EVUL TROLLS!!!!!

No?

Well how odd then, that they went with:

We want to protect all you people from the terrible trolls and flamers which have clearly terrorised our forums for the past 5 years. I know it took some time, but hey, here we are with the solution. It has nothing to do with money, we swearz preciousss!

Finally I want to say that I dont have any really serious issues with them taking the facebook route, and that from a marketing perspective I sure understand the amazing possibilities of pushing casual games on casual gamers, millions of whom will now be brought to facebook through battlenet - what I dont like is how they lie about what they are doing and why. I dont want to read blue posts so thoroughly drowning in BS that its hard to keep your nose above level... it just really pisses me off. Im not a commodity for them to sell or pawn to whatever market group they bunched us into when they made the deal with facebook. fook them. - no really!

• -exo-exo Member Posts: 564

I actually am starting to think now half of you don't even research this stuff.  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO POST ON THE FORUMS WITH REAL ID. makes sense? k good.

Real names are ONLY ON YOUR REAL ID,

NOT on your characters.  People are exaggerating the living crap out of this. It's like the 2012 bs of WoW ,

GET OVER IT.

www.roxstudiodesigns.com

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Originally posted by -exo

I actually am starting to think now half of you don't even research this stuff.  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO POST ON THE FORUMS WITH REAL ID. makes sense? k good.

NOT on your characters.  People are exaggerating the living crap out of this. It's like the 2012 bs of WoW ,

GET OVER IT.

If that is true, then that is a positive. Right now, we jsut have Blizzard's official statement to go by:

"The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name -- with the option to also display the name of their primary in-game character alongside it." (http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25626109041)

Can you link where it says you don't have to use RealID in order to participate in the Blizzard forums as I think that would be of great interest to many of us trying to follow all this.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

GET OVER IT.

Depends on what you mean. If you mean you don't have to post on the forums , sure, but a lot of people liked posting on the forums so those are all screwed?

And if you mean you dont have to use real ID to post on the forum: Fail

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

Originally posted by generals3

GET OVER IT.

Depends on what you mean. If you mean you don't have to post on the forums , sure, but a lot of people liked posting on the forums so those are all screwed?

no, you still can post on the forums!! JUST NOT WITH REAL ID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!! SWEET LORD. I don't see why this is such a huge flippin deal man!!! Do people really not read??? God it spreads like a plague. Talk about people following media.

www.roxstudiodesigns.com

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by generals3

GET OVER IT.

no, you still can post on the forums!! JUST NOT WITH REAL ID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!! SWEET LORD. I don't see why this is such a huge flippin deal man!!! Do people really not read??? God it spreads like a plague. Talk about people following media.

Why don't you go to post #264 ( that's 3 post above this one ) and answer the mans question, since obviously Blizzard is calling you a liar. Perhaps YOU should try those reading abilities you proclaim yourself to be so apt at.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

You seem more worked up than almost anyone else... I think you killed a duck back there with them !!!! youre throwing around.

And you cant post on the forums unless realID is enabled in your account. You have to agree to posting before hand and will be prompted with an accept button before posting.

The only way to post on your toon name and avoid the real ID is by using Parental control. - which arguably is possible for anyone to use atm. But may not remain that way for long.

You have misunderstod how this is going to work, and no amount of capslock and !!!!! on your end changes that fact.

Sorry.

ya know what now that i think of it. it probably will be better with out half of you in the game.

www.roxstudiodesigns.com

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

Originally posted by Nilenya

You seem more worked up than almost anyone else... I think you killed a duck back there with them !!!! youre throwing around.

And you cant post on the forums unless realID is enabled in your account. You have to agree to posting before hand and will be prompted with an accept button before posting.

The only way to post on your toon name and avoid the real ID is by using Parental control. - which arguably is possible for anyone to use atm. But may not remain that way for long.

You have misunderstod how this is going to work, and no amount of capslock and !!!!! on your end changes that fact.

Sorry.

If you avoid the real-ID using Parental Control, you won't be able to post on the forums at all.

Eleanor Rigby.

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

Finally I want to say that I dont have any really serious issues with them taking the facebook route, and that from a marketing perspective I sure understand the amazing possibilities of pushing casual games on casual gamers, millions of whom will now be brought to facebook through battlenet - what I dont like is how they lie about what they are doing and why. I dont want to read blue posts so thoroughly drowning in BS that its hard to keep your nose above level... it just really pisses me off. Im not a commodity for them to sell or pawn to whatever market group they bunched us into when they made the deal with facebook. fook them. - no really!

I tried facebook a while back, quit as soon as my friends started spamming my home page with their games. Every company in the world is trying to jump on that bandwagon right now and that is the core of the problem. Facebook is overrated.

Although I sympathize and feel the same way you do, fact is business is business. Companies "sell" you every day without your knowledge. Ever got a call from a telemarketer? They bought your name and number from someone. Got junk mail? Spam? Someone sold your name. What troubles me is by Blizzard's own admission they are doing this to "stop trolling". If you can't moderate your own forum, shut it down. If hearing people's negative opinions bothers you that much, shut the forum down and put a feedback box on your site. Instead they went the mob rule way where you post at your own risk. It's part of a bigger scheme though, they just aren't telling you. Read the RealID announcement on battle.net very carefully. It talks about how you will be able to see your friends and talk with them by their real name in every battle.net game. It's not just about the forums people.

Best way to send a message is with your wallet because in the cold harsh reality of the business world, your ranting and rage means nothing. It's a game, a luxury, not required and you can stop using it anytime.

Originally posted by Treekodar

Sorry.

If you avoid the real-ID using Parental Control, you won't be able to post on the forums at all.

Oh ok my bad. well then, there really arent any redeeming features about this at all then.

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Well not sure baout the parental controll .

But isn't that cheating anyway?

And isn't cheating what trolls like to do the most? So isn't real ID just punishing the HONEST player.

Real ID: 0  - Common sense: well, i forgot how much , let's say its over 9000

Oh well nvm , just read up the above post. And so ye , still need Real ID now dont we :p

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• utopiumutopium Member Posts: 103

ya know what now that i think of it. it probably will be better with out half of you in the game.

sure, but aren't you relieved right now that you wasn't posting under your real name?

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Does this mean you don't have a link that contradicts the previous Blizzard statement? Again, if they stated you did not have to display your real name, then great, I think a lot of people would be very interested in seeing such a statement. Please, enlighten the masses.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

Originally posted by Logos1326

I tried facebook a while back, quit as soon as my friends started spamming my home page with their games. Every company in the world is trying to jump on that bandwagon right now and that is the core of the problem. Facebook is overrated.

Although I sympathize and feel the same way you do, fact is business is business. Companies "sell" you every day without your knowledge. Ever got a call from a telemarketer? They bought your name and number from someone. Got junk mail? Spam? Someone sold your name. What troubles me is by Blizzard's own admission they are doing this to "stop trolling". If you can't moderate your own forum, shut it down. If hearing people's negative opinions bothers you that much, shut the forum down and put a feedback box on your site. Instead they went the mob rule way where you post at your own risk. It's part of a bigger scheme though, they just aren't telling you. Read the RealID announcement on battle.net very carefully. It talks about how you will be able to see your friends and talk with them by their real name in every battle.net game. It's not just about the forums people.

Best way to send a message is with your wallet because in the cold harsh reality of the business world, your ranting and rage means nothing. It's a game, a luxury, not required and you can stop using it anytime.

I completely agree with what you are saying. The irony is that ultimately we can chose with our wallets, but I feel the urge to protest because while we have several options to turn to game wise at present, there is no stopping this from spreading to other companies, if noone expresses their discontent. Atm, we have swtor, rift, gw2, tera etc etc comming out soon. the last thing I wanna see is something akin to Blizzards realID getting implemented by those companies.