Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need to know what wattage power supply this graphics card needs

ClanOfDClanOfD Member Posts: 10

This is a link to

GeForce GTX 275 896MB

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e16814130475

My Power Supply says "Total Power 330w" and "Max Output 480w". If it can run it please say so.

I'm trying to get my PC ready for Final Fantasy XIV but i need to upgrade my graphics card.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

You need 550 watts minimum. Though for a few bucks more, you could just get 600. So I say grab a 600 watt psu.

• benzjiebenzjie Member Posts: 81

agreed. 600w minimum. Btw , i dont think your current PS has the connections for the card.

Don't shoot the messenger.....it will ruin you monitor

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Are you sure your computer has a PCI-E slot ?

That PSU is way too low.

650w is a safe bet to run everything on your computer, like this one:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ClanOfDClanOfD Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by stayontarget

Are you sure your computer has a PCI-E slot ?

That PSU is way too low.

650w is a safe bet to run everything on your computer, like this one:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

It says PSI Express in big letters on the motherboard.

I'll link my motherboard.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5015674

So 650w is 90$, thats not too bad, though that means i will have to get a cheaper graphics card to fit my budget.

Thanks for the link to the Power Supply. Is there anything i will need to check to see if a Power Supply is compatible with my computer?

Can anyone recomend a nice Graphics card around the 150$ price range. My current card is GeForce 9400 GT.

I'm hoping to play Final Fantasy XIV when it comes out and the recomended video cards listed were "NVIDIA GeForce 9600 512MB or ATI Radeon HD 2900 512M". 

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

I can just about guarantee that your PSU won't have the pair of PCI-E 6-pin connectors that the card needs. And it's power specs (i.e. different power and max power ratings) are a BIG red warning flag.

If that 650W power supply is a little too pricy, you'll likely be fine with the 550W version here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

For video cards, your 9400 is honestly a little on the low powered side. Something like a GTS250 would be a good upgrade option, while still remaining within your budget.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4497969&CatId=3670

Or, if you can afford a few bucks more, the 5770 would also be a nice option. I'm just having trouble finding confirmation that the card is 100% backwards compatible with first-gen PCI-E boards.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5660536&CatId=3669

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

Do not go by just the watts when picking a psu.... make sure you check the amps on the 12v rail, otherwise you could end up with a psu that even thou it says it can do the watts it could end up being unstable or burnout trying to power your videocard.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Neverlift is correct, although that 550W Corsair PSU linked a couple posts up (with 41 amps ont he 12v rail) would suit any single card (at least any not in the Geforce GTX 400 series) just fine.

Really, most or all big PSUs are designed to pump power to the 12v rail; the biggest thing is just making sure the wattage figure is accurate (and not some inflated peak power figure). That said, I would trust a Corsair PSU even without looking too closely at it; they're a fine brand.

Originally posted by Catamount

Neverlift is correct, although that 550W Corsair PSU linked a couple posts up (with 41 amps ont he 12v rail) would suit any single card (at least any not in the Geforce GTX 400 series) just fine.

Really, most or all big PSUs are designed to pump power to the 12v rail; the biggest thing is just making sure the wattage figure is accurate (and not some inflated peak power figure). That said, I would trust a Corsair PSU even without looking too closely at it; they're a fine brand.

That's all a bit over my head, i tried googling it but what i found was confusing.

Could you explain what the 12v rail is?

Just to double check, would these work together?

Corsair PSU 550v

Radeon HD 5770 Video Card

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5660536&CatId=3669

Any chance my current PSU would run that card?

I'm looking inside my case at the PSU and i don't see a 6-pin cord free so I'm guessing it does not have one for a card.

But i looked at the picture and description and did not see a 6-pin slot on the Radeon 5770 card (unless i missed it).

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by ClanOfD

That's all a bit over my head, i tried googling it but what i found was confusing.

Corsair PSU 550v

I'm looking inside my case at the PSU and i don't see a 6-pin cord free so I'm guessing it does not have one for a card.

But i looked at the picture and description and did not see a 6-pin slot on the Radeon 5770 card (unless i missed it).

Alright, let's just start from the beginning (I don't know how much you do and don't know about energy/electricity).

Energy is measured in joules. A joule is just a fancy word for a piece of energy of a certain size. A watt is just one joule per second, so a 550W power supply delivers 550 joules of energy every second. Now, some power supplies (the good ones), can deliver this amount of energy forever, without overheating or overloading (until it eventually grows old and breaks). That's continuous output. Others can only deliver the wattage on the side label for a short time (usually a few minutes at best), and that's peak output. A good 550W PSU has 550W of continuous output, while a bad/cheap one only has 550W of peak output (and maybe something like 400W of continuous), but both might claim to be a 550W PSU.

Now, amps and volts are just another way to measure energy. Watts are amps*volts, so the more volts you have, the fewer amps you need to output a given amount of energy every second. The computer basically has 3 rails of importance, or three sets of power output, a 3.3v rail, a 12v rail, and a 5v rail (there are others, but they're small so let's not complicate things). The video card runs on the 12v rail. So you need a 12v rail that supplies enough amps so that the card gets enough watts of energy to run. That PSU has 41amps on the 12v rail, so it can deliver 492W (41*12) to your video card and other devices that get power from that rail (which is pretty much anything not attached to the motherboard plus your GPU).

Video cards do a pretty crappy job of telling you exactly how much power they'll likely suck down under load (they just give vague PSU requirements), but you usually just learn through experience what PSU will run what cards. There are also video card reviews that can tell you fairly precisely what a card requires to run.

Guru3d's review of the 5770 shows that the card requires something in the range of 100W of power, though keep in mind, other things use the 12v rail. Their total system consumption was 321W, and they admitted that they were loosing 50W-100W just to frivolous things (a cathode ray tube, some extra motherboard power features, etc). So as for whether your old PSU can run a 5770, the answer is almost certainly yes, though it will stretch things a hair. 5770s are very nice cards because like all the Radeon HD 5000 series cards, they sip very, very lightly on power.

EDIT: If you do need a new powersupply, or just want one for futureproofing and stability, AmazingAvery linked a few good ones, and the OCZ Modstream 600W in the middle is very cheap (and OCZ makes high quality stuff).

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Corsair PSU 550v

Yeah, Tigerdirect's picture doesn't show it at the right angle (and they deserve a shot to the delicates for not listing the requirements in their specs), but the card will need a 6-pin power plug. The heatsink design seems a little different, but you can see the plug in the photo here. And as I said earlier, I really don't expect your power supply to have the proper plug. But those two items you listed will work fine together. If you're going to order from two different stores, make sure the seperate hipping costs don't outweigh the savings.

Without getting into too much electrical jargon, computer power supplies actually provide multiple output voltages, 3.3 volts (V), 5 volts and 12 volts being the primary ones, each voltage having at least one "rail" that the electricity is provided on. From there, the power can go through multiple connectors to the different devices on your system. The voltage, multiplied by the amount of electricity flowing (Amps), gives you the total power (in Watts) being used. For example, 12V (Volts) x 20A (Amps) = 240W (Watts) being used.

Older computer power supplies were notorious for only being able to provide a certain percentage of their full power on any given rail. Even though a power supply could be rated for 500 Watts, it might only be able to supply 250 of those Watts at 12V, the rest were only available through the lower voltages. In more recent years, computer components (processor and GPU's especially) have needed more and more of their power at 12V (instead of the other voltages), causing problems when you try to power them with a power supply that's too limited on its 12V rail. Newer power supplies (such as the Corsair units suggested) are built to accommodate these needs, making it a non-issue.

Edit: Catamount beat me to the reply

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

Get a 1000w.  Works fine for me image

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

Well.. I have a gtx280 and use a 700W for it.. My wife has the 260 and her's is a 600W.. Both have dual rail 12v feeds (think of that as essentially 2x12v feeds to handle the current draw of newer equipment).

If I'm not mistaken I can run two of the 280's off my 700, so a 600 should be fine for 1 275.

I would look into some newer cards though, I'm not familiar with the 275 specifically but my 280 is a couple years old, and i only got into the mid 2k's on the benchmark.  I'm actually looking into some of the radeon HD series or perhaps jumping up to a nvidia 400 series.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

As most others said.  About any decently powered gaming vid card requires at least a quality 500 watt PSU, and that's if you're running at standard voltage for your cpu and 1 hard drive/dvd writer.  These days I won't buy anything under 600 watts.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I got a GTS 250 512 MB GPU with 6 GB ram and 1 TB hard disk and the score on low was near 3k....

Don't judge 100% the benchmark because it's going to be their loss if they really leave it that way, I'm sure they will try to optimize more the game.

Atm (It's hot here since summer) during global agenda my gpu was on 95 degrees O.o good thing I checked and on idle is around 65 degrees.

The gts 250 is a great card and not that expensive but has heating problems since it's a big gpu so if your going to get one be sure to have enough cooling for it.

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

This is a good buy on sales at the moment:

GPU's:

Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB $204 !

SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB with promo code EMCYTNX62 $149.00

HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 $149

Half decent PSU's to go with: 

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W $83 or $63 after rebate

OCZ ModXStream Pro  600W $69.99 or $49.99 after rebate free ship

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W $79.99 or $69.99 after rebate

Wow! The 500w PSU and the Saphire Radeon 5770 1GB fit my budget perfectly, Thanks so much for the links!

Corsair PSU 550v

Alright, let's just start from the beginning (I don't know how much you do and don't know about energy/electricity).

Energy is measured in joules. A joule is just a fancy word for a piece of energy of a certain size. A watt is just one joule per second, so a 550W power supply delivers 550 joules of energy every second. Now, some power supplies (the good ones), can deliver this amount of energy forever, without overheating or overloading (until it eventually grows old and breaks). That's continuous output. Others can only deliver the wattage on the side label for a short time (usually a few minutes at best), and that's peak output. A good 550W PSU has 550W of continuous output, while a bad/cheap one only has 550W of peak output (and maybe something like 400W of continuous), but both might claim to be a 550W PSU.

Now, amps and volts are just another way to measure energy. Watts are amps*volts, so the more volts you have, the fewer amps you need to output a given amount of energy every second. The computer basically has 3 rails of importance, or three sets of power output, a 3.3v rail, a 12v rail, and a 5v rail (there are others, but they're small so let's not complicate things). The video card runs on the 12v rail. So you need a 12v rail that supplies enough amps so that the card gets enough watts of energy to run. That PSU has 41amps on the 12v rail, so it can deliver 492W (41*12) to your video card and other devices that get power from that rail (which is pretty much anything not attached to the motherboard plus your GPU).

Video cards do a pretty crappy job of telling you exactly how much power they'll likely suck down under load (they just give vague PSU requirements), but you usually just learn through experience what PSU will run what cards. There are also video card reviews that can tell you fairly precisely what a card requires to run.

Guru3d's review of the 5770 shows that the card requires something in the range of 100W of power, though keep in mind, other things use the 12v rail. Their total system consumption was 321W, and they admitted that they were loosing 50W-100W just to frivolous things (a cathode ray tube, some extra motherboard power features, etc). So as for whether your old PSU can run a 5770, the answer is almost certainly yes, though it will stretch things a hair. 5770s are very nice cards because like all the Radeon HD 5000 series cards, they sip very, very lightly on power.

EDIT: If you do need a new powersupply, or just want one for futureproofing and stability, AmazingAvery linked a few good ones, and the OCZ Modstream 600W in the middle is very cheap (and OCZ makes high quality stuff).

Lots of info, thanks a bunch!

Reminds me of that saying.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

Originally posted by Mehve

Corsair PSU 550v

Yeah, Tigerdirect's picture doesn't show it at the right angle (and they deserve a shot to the delicates for not listing the requirements in their specs), but the card will need a 6-pin power plug. The heatsink design seems a little different, but you can see the plug in the photo here. And as I said earlier, I really don't expect your power supply to have the proper plug. But those two items you listed will work fine together. If you're going to order from two different stores, make sure the seperate hipping costs don't outweigh the savings.

Without getting into too much electrical jargon, computer power supplies actually provide multiple output voltages, 3.3 volts (V), 5 volts and 12 volts being the primary ones, each voltage having at least one "rail" that the electricity is provided on. From there, the power can go through multiple connectors to the different devices on your system. The voltage, multiplied by the amount of electricity flowing (Amps), gives you the total power (in Watts) being used. For example, 12V (Volts) x 20A (Amps) = 240W (Watts) being used.

Older computer power supplies were notorious for only being able to provide a certain percentage of their full power on any given rail. Even though a power supply could be rated for 500 Watts, it might only be able to supply 250 of those Watts at 12V, the rest were only available through the lower voltages. In more recent years, computer components (processor and GPU's especially) have needed more and more of their power at 12V (instead of the other voltages), causing problems when you try to power them with a power supply that's too limited on its 12V rail. Newer power supplies (such as the Corsair units suggested) are built to accommodate these needs, making it a non-issue.

Edit: Catamount beat me to the reply

Thank you, yours and Catamount's info helps a lot. Gonna save it to my Bookmarks for refrance when i one day build my own PC in the far far very far future. For now this solves my current problem.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

I have a GTX 275

My PSU is a 550w with 32amp on the 12volt

You want 32 amps or more, dont worry about how many watts the PSU is