Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamepad Support to Perpetuum

braveheartmbraveheartm Member Posts: 15

Hi guys,

Playing MMO's is a time consuming activity and sitting in front of my PC is quite exhausting for me , especially since I spend 8-9 hours at work (IT activities) and arrive at home with more than half of my energy drained. Therefore I would prefer playing a MMO by lying in my couch with a wireless gamepad in my hands, a cold beer next to me and using my Plasma TV as the display (output from my PC) .

So, are there any others of you that want this kind of comfort when playing a MMO? I hope we could convince the Perpetuum dev team to bring gamepad support to their game. If I get enough votes in this thread, I may start a petition to get even more votes which would be useful for the dev team to justify the costs of the efforts required to implement gamepad support.

Please take in consideration that implementing this feature will probably delay the release of the game. 

P.S. : From what I know till now, the following games will offer gamepad support: Final Fantasy XIV, Black Prophecy & Jumpgate Evolution.

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Not possible. The game controls are too complex, it is not a shooter.

Get yourself wireless mouse and keyboard instead.

• braveheartmbraveheartm Member Posts: 15

Actually it is possible, the game just have to be designed to fit a gamepad play style  too (if interaction with objects , player move and actions are done properly , this can be achieved)

Wireless keyboard and mouse are not a solution if you want to play comfortable from your couch and keep a good controll over movement, action and interaction with objects.  

• BoyCBoyC Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by braveheartm

Actually it is possible, the game just have to be designed to fit a gamepad play style  too (if interaction with objects , player move and actions are done properly , this can be achieved)

Wireless keyboard and mouse are not a solution if you want to play comfortable from your couch and keep a good controll over movement, action and interaction with objects.  

How would you map the terminal interface and chat?

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I've been using a game pad on Perpetuum. Just some cheap logitech double stick one, works fine. Just grab the wireless keyboard to chat.

Do you really need the software to be in the Perpetuum code? In my opinion, that would be more trouble than it is worth. I think most people change all the settings on they keyboard and mouse or gamepad in an MMO anyway.

Right now for my laptop on the couch, just using stock logitech software I've got the dpad for movement, targeting, spacebar, primary target, armor repairer, left and right mouse, and the joysticks control the mouse XY and camera.

Also had no trouble setting up the g13 for PO for the desktop. Tested the cyborg command center too. Joysticks are controlling the camera.

I've had some games that don't seem to work with the exterior controller software for some reason, but had no problems with PO.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

Virtual keyboard , aka those on touch-screen mobile phones?

Originally posted by BoyC

How would you map the terminal interface and chat?

I'm not refering to G13-like devices, but too gamepads similar to xbox controller. G13 , won't offer me the same level of control and comport like a console-like gamepad would if i'm playing from a very comfortable position on the couch. 

Originally posted by astoria

I've been using a game pad on Perpetuum. Just some cheap logitech double stick one, works fine. Just grab the wireless keyboard to chat.

Do you really need the software to be in the Perpetuum code? In my opinion, that would be more trouble than it is worth. I think most people change all the settings on they keyboard and mouse or gamepad in an MMO anyway.

Right now for my laptop on the couch, just using stock logitech software I've got the dpad for movement, targeting, spacebar, primary target, armor repairer, left and right mouse, and the joysticks control the mouse XY and camera.

Also had no trouble setting up the g13 for PO for the desktop. Tested the cyborg command center too. Joysticks are controlling the camera.

I've had some games that don't seem to work with the exterior controller software for some reason, but had no problems with PO.

Sorry I didn't mean to make my post confusing. I meant to note that I'd used a g13 AND a controller. Not at the same time, used the g13 on my desktop (mostly for testing dont really need it) and this

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Dual-Action-Game-Pad/dp/B0000ALFCI

on my laptop for comfort and all.

And the dual action works fine with Perpetuum with the included logitech software.

There may be a reason that PO should have other included code to make them work better, but I just can't think of why. It works fine for me. I wasn't being rhetorical.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

Are you able to perform any actions in the game with the logitech gamepad as you would with a mouse and keyboard? Are you able to chat-text using the gamepad?

Sorry I didn't mean to make my post confusing. I meant to note that I'd used a g13 AND a controller. Not at the same time, used the g13 on my desktop (mostly for testing dont really need it) and this

And the dual action works fine with Perpetuum with the included logitech software.

There may be a reason that PO should have other included code to make them work better, but I just can't think of why. It works fine for me. I wasn't being rhetorical.

Are you able to perform any actions in the game with the logitech gamepad as you would with a mouse and keyboard? Are you able to chat-text using the gamepad?

Can do everything but chat outside a station. I guess I have used a xbox controller to type text, but it is so painfully slow. Granted I type really fast so maybe for a hunterpecker it would matter.

How did you typed with xbox 360 controller? Is there a on-screen keyboard similar to those found in touch-screen phones , like Iphone? 

where you able to browse inventory items(organize inventory), equip/remove items on your character , view stats of items.   trade with other players, buy/sell from/to npc, sell/buy to/from marketplace? 

How did you typed with xbox 360 controller? Is there a on-screen keyboard similar to those found in touch-screen phones , like Iphone? 

where you able to browse inventory items(organize inventory), equip/remove items on your character , view stats of items.   trade with other players, buy/sell from/to npc, sell/buy to/from marketplace? 

Not in this game, but in some games, (i forget which now) on xbox you could pull up a onscreen kb.

I can sell stuff and recycle with the gamepad, and equip. Just a matter of making the joysticks act as mouse XY, and two buttons work as mouse left and mouse right.

I can't buy though cause i need to enter a number amount.

making the joystick act as mouse x/y axis can be done indeed, but it's not ideal since your control won't be so accurate and fast.