Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzom is simply the best land based sandbox currently

Comments

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Z3R01

By offering the players a choice. nothing is forced in ryzom, it offers true freedom. wanna pvp? do it. wanna pve? do it. wanna rp? do it. 

Here's the kicker. you can do all of this without some asshat imposing his will on you taking from your gameplay experience.

I'm curious how this is different from any other game on the market.   Last I checked, I didn't need permission from some asshat to do any of those things in another mmo.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Treekodar

I played for a full ten seconds. Doesn't seem so special to me.

Rolling on the Floor Laughing.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Demon souls is a very good game. 

I still dont understand how someone could say ryzom was like a single player game. THe uni chat is always flowing and players are always willing to invite new players to guilds.

I wish more players would try to socialize in these games. Ryzom doesn't have a lfg system you have to try to get a team together you have to try to get a guild. 

it requires effort, I guess this is its downfall. Maybe if it had a lfg and guild recruit function people wouldnt wrongfully call it an empty game.

Its not that its empty but the playerbase is very small. I would venture to say that DF has a bigger base.  Ryzom also shows its age horribly and it has had such a rocky past that its flaws are glaring to the point of blinding.  The community is very good and helpful but as pointed out small. A lot of the same names are the ones in chat night after night.  Its is better than some but if I had a choice I would play DF because they seem to be trying to fill it with sand where Ryzom you always wonder if the servers will be open the next day.

Sadly I can't link sub number info since none have been released.

All i can tell you is that multiple content patches have been implemented since WG took over ryzom.

This thread is getting too hung up on population size and not on the actual features of Ryzom. the game it self is very good. compared to others its superior features wise and gives players choice in gameplay style.

Anyway these sandbox games are always targetted toward a small niche games like DF, MO, FE all have a small playerbases. 

I think to dispute my claims of ryzom being the best simply on playerbase size is wrong since it seems to fall in line with the rest of the sub genre excluding the greatest mmo ever created Eve.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Originally posted by Daffid011

By offering the players a choice. nothing is forced in ryzom, it offers true freedom. wanna pvp? do it. wanna pve? do it. wanna rp? do it. 

Here's the kicker. you can do all of this without some asshat imposing his will on you taking from your gameplay experience.

I'm curious how this is different from any other game on the market.   Last I checked, I didn't need permission from some asshat to do any of those things in another mmo.

Really? try playing a non-aggressive player in Darkfall or MO and let me know how far you get before someone grieves you.

the only game that offers freedom of ones gameplay style without another gameplay style being forced on you in the sandbox genre besides Ryzom is Eve and before that it was SWG (rip).

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

This thread is getting too hung up on population size and not on the actual features of Ryzom.

Well yeah, why do you think WoW is so popular?

it's really not just the gameplay, it's because everyone else is at that party. People don't know how to react to a game world with any less of a player presence.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• XianthosXianthos Member Posts: 723

I still dont understand how someone could say ryzom was like a single player game. THe uni chat is always flowing and players are always willing to invite new players to guilds.

I wish more players would try to socialize in these games. Ryzom doesn't have a lfg system you have to try to get a team together you have to try to get a guild. 

it requires effort, I guess this is its downfall. Maybe if it had a lfg and guild recruit function people wouldnt wrongfully call it an empty game.

Its not that its empty but the playerbase is very small. I would venture to say that DF has a bigger base.  Ryzom also shows its age horribly and it has had such a rocky past that its flaws are glaring to the point of blinding.  The community is very good and helpful but as pointed out small. A lot of the same names are the ones in chat night after night.  Its is better than some but if I had a choice I would play DF because they seem to be trying to fill it with sand where Ryzom you always wonder if the servers will be open the next day.

All i can tell you is that multiple content patches have been implemented since WG took over ryzom.

This thread is getting too hung up on population size and not on the actual features of Ryzom. the game it self is very good. compared to others its superior features wise and gives players choice in gameplay style.

Anyway these sandbox games are always targetted toward a small niche games like DF, MO, FE all have a small playerbases. 

I think to dispute my claims of ryzom being the best simply on playerbase size is wrong since it seems to fall in line with the rest of the sub genre excluding the greatest mmo ever created Eve.

I guess you get the point. It doesnt matter if the game got "The awesome features" if there arent people with who you can share them and share the experience. As i told if i see someone running by only once in 1h then this game aint for me.

EvE doors

See the best doors on EvE-on!

Originally posted by Xianthos

I guess you get the point. It doesnt matter if the game got "The awesome features" if there arent people with who you can share them and share the experience. As i told if i see someone running by only once in 1h then this game aint for me.

Atys is so freaking big for something like that to happen out in the wild you would need around 30k people on a server lol.

In WoW the maximum amount of players on one server is around 5k.

If there were 5k player on atys you wouldnt see a difference. it would only be felt in the one global chat.

Atys is so freaking big for something like that to happen out in the wild you would need around 30k people on a server lol.

If there were 5k player on atys you wouldnt see a difference. it would only be felt in the one global chat.

Then i would dare to say then it is too big :(

Similar problem ive experienced in DF, the population wasnt big enough compared to the seize of the world. I had to ride several hours to find some random PvP or i had to go to specific hot spots where i was farmed by a group :)

EvE doors

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Originally posted by GTwander

Originally posted by Treekodar

I played for a full ten seconds. Doesn't seem so special to me.

Either you are lying about it being ten seconds, or about having played it at all.

If it's true, then I'm just going to have a good laugh at your expense.

I think I also tried Ryzom when it was in transition between companies. i recall playing the game and it certainly had an interesting appeal to it. Although I didnt play more than a few days, I think the game has/had potential. I think another issue is that a lot people always tend to compare features & benefits above all else. I started MMOs with UO, and thats the type of game I like. Basic, yet lots to do, and always something interesting going on. The UO server I played on wasn't heavily populated, as even at peak times in the town i lived in.. there were maybe 20 people on the screen at the same time. Most fun i've ever had in an MMO game hands down, and it did not require a huge playerbase. But it does require something to do.

These hybrid skill systems and such that every publisher seems to be coming out with.. either seem to be hacks off of previous ideas, or a variation/mix of skill/level system. This turns me off continually as I try games. Why not keep it simplistic? UO had a potential skill gain of 100.0 (so 1000 technical gains) and once you reach 100.0 that was it. You could do that for 7 skills. now what you seem to get very commonly are a level & skill based system lumped together to try and impress everyone. I know MO and DF are trying to imitate a similar to UO system.. but chances are it just wont be the same. Case end point - I really wish a company would just develop a basic mmo that truly lets the player do whatever they want. Because at this point.. I have yet to find a game where I can go out on a boat and fish, cook the fish, possibly fish up treasure.. navigate my boat to get the treasure.. while making maps of my own. Or how about taming a dragon and making it your own pet? Possibly even blacksmith your own weapons/armor and sell them from your own shop that you placed in a key area with lots of traffic. I haven't even gotten to thievery, and other things that kept my interest for so long in an mmo.. yet all of it was so very simplistic. Yet noone can replicate it. Sorry for the long rant.. got to daydreaming..

Then i would dare to say then it is too big :(

Similar problem ive experienced in DF, the population wasnt big enough compared to the seize of the world. I had to ride several hours to find some random PvP or i had to go to specific hot spots where i was farmed by a group :)

Yeah the world is too big lol.

Imagine if WG went ahead with the original developers plans of creating multiple worlds?

Holy crap it would be like twenty dudes on a planet ten times the size of WoW.

LOL!!!!

Really? try playing a non-aggressive player in Darkfall or MO and let me know how far you get before someone grieves you.

the only game that offers freedom of ones gameplay style without another gameplay style being forced on you in the sandbox genre besides Ryzom is Eve and before that it was SWG (rip).

Well those are both PvP centric games that have little to no rules to what players can and cannot do.  Their gameplay centeres around player vs player conflict and they don't try to be something other than that.

Technically speaking it sounds like Ryzom offers your "true freedom" by putting limits on what can and can't happen.

Well those are both PvP centric games that have little to no rules to what players can and cannot do.  Their gameplay centeres around player vs player conflict and they don't try to be something other than that.

Technically speaking it sounds like Ryzom offers your "true freedom" by putting limits on what can and can't happen.

YOu need rules, a game with no rules limits people more than one with them. Ask someone stuck farming under tower protection in darkfall how much freedom they have in game?

Set rules, give everyone a choice thats the future of sandbox mmos. SWG had it, Eve has it and so does ryzom. 

YOu need rules, a game with no rules limits people more than one with them. Ask someone stuck farming under tower protection in darkfall how much freedom they have in game?

Set rules, give everyone a choice thats the future of sandbox mmos. SWG had it, Eve has it and so does ryzom. 

The player farming under tower protection is making a choice to do so.  There is no game mechanic rule that is preventing that player from venturing forth and doing whatever they want to.

I do understand what you are suggesting, but you are presenting a restrictive game mechanic as a choice.  Sure it makes certain activites safe, but that isn't due to player choice or freedom of actions.  It is the result of a rule or system removing player options. 

Some people like playing in an environment with danger where anyone can do anything anytime and some prefer the safety that restrictive gameplay mechanics offer so they can safely farm things in the open world.  Nothing wrong with prefering either one.

Also, how does eve have rules like this?  You can be attacked and killed anywhere in the game.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

UO had it

SWG had it

EvE for me just feels like they escaped most potential fun things to do in the game. I personally love the thought of cruising through outerspace.. but EvE has always felt to me like there was something missing. I just cannot compare it to the other 2 as far as sanxbox mechanics.

Ryzom - I'll try it again tonight!

The player farming under tower protection is making a choice to do so.  There is no game mechanic rule that is preventing that player from venturing forth and doing whatever they want to.

I do understand what you are suggesting, but you are presenting a restrictive game mechanic as a choice.  Sure it makes certain activites safe, but that isn't due to player choice or freedom of actions.  It is the result of a rule or system removing player options. 

Some people like playing in an environment with danger where anyone can do anything anytime and some prefer the safety that restrictive gameplay mechanics offer so they can safely farm things in the open world.  Nothing wrong with prefering either one.

Also, how does eve have rules like this?  You can be attacked and killed anywhere in the game.

And yet there are consequences for doing it in EvE.

In DF there aint any consequences as the alligment system is broken and abused a lot.

EvE doors

• DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

I am a sandbox fans (LOVE Asheron's Call and SWG)

However, recently I just found out I'm not the guy can spent a lot of time on a game anymore.  So I'm actually looking for a casual sandbox MMO (not like MO or DF which you have to grind A LOT to get to a point, but you still get the sandbox which to build your house/craftings/communicate/trade like in SWG)

So is Ryzom casual enough to fit my category ?? if YES I definitely will try it.

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443

There is no denying it.

Ryzom destroys games like Darkfall & mortal online.

It offers a true community (even though its small), true choice and an immersive world with lore that can be changed by the player officially through events.

Ryzom is the last of the true sandbox games, ripped from the loins of games like SWG, AC and AO we have ryzom the only game that offers true spell customization, player scenario creation, a living breathing world and a community that cares for one another.

No instances, a true challenging game world.

Saga of Ryzom... I give my full endorsement of the greatest sandbox game since Swg.

I hat to lol about "Ryzom destroys games like Darkfall and mortal online" :) How it is destroying them? By having bigger playerbase?

I didnt have the Freedom to Jump...... >.>

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Terikan3

so much delusion, so little time.  Ryzom was released in a time when there were a lot of players looking for good new mmos.  When the concept of sandbox wasn't so unknown to the demographic, as it is today.  And ryzom was utter trash.  I mean it was the worst garbage pile of an mmo imaginable.  And that's why it failed.  It had it's chance.

Why come to my thread and lie? 

You never gave Ryzom a chance. The game was sold off due to the devs inability to advertise the game. the mechanics were in place, there was nothing wrong with the game.

Because the game was mishandled that means its terrible?

Why come here to troll?

Well...

To be fair, Nevraxx did implement a patch shortly after launch where, it seems, they lost their minds and decided "Hey, let's make all the mobs incredibly difficult to defeat... including the level 1-3 Yubos in the starting zones". They did just that, among other changes that severely hurt the game, pissed-off and drove away a large portion of its playerbase... many of whom never came back. I was one of the people who left when that happened.

MMO players being the unforgiving bunch that we can tend to be - generally speaking - will think "Ryzom" and then immediately recall what made them leave, say "ahh.. no way" and never consider giving it another try.

That it's such a niche game and is very much a sandbox MMO also keeps people away. There are many people who - though they act indignant when it's mentioned - need a lot of hand-holding in a game; where to go, what to do, who to talk to. Ryzom doesn't cater to that crowd, nor should it. However, it would be dishonest to pretend that that aspect alone keeps many players away.

I've given it a try several times over the years, including relatively recently. I still find it to be a gorgeous, well-conceived world with a lot of lore, some amazing flora and fauna - all original creatures and plantlife.

The stanza system is freaking brilliant. The crafting system is awesome. The change of seasons and how they affect different wildlife is awesome. The harvesting system is the best I've experienced in any MMO. The passive predator/prey system playing out all around you is awesome... Individually, each of those systems are brilliant. Atys as a world is the most well conceived and most "alive" I've ever experienced in any MMO, ever. Combined, you would think, the game should have "Win" written all over it.

Ryzom offers so much of what many players claim to want and feel is lacking in other MMOs. Yet, it continues to fall short on bringing many people in, or keeping them once they're there.

Why is that?

Well, personally... For all its lore and background and depth... Ryzom just always feels like a "shell" to me. And, no I don't mean in the "it's a sandbox and the players are supposed to fill in the blanks" sort of way... I mean, that the lore seems to imply some sense of tension and ever-looming danger. Between the Kami and Karavan... Between the Homins and the Kitins. There just seems to be a dynamic that should be more present in the game, but isn't. I should feel way more attached to and affected by all that... but I don't.

The Kitin threat - the creatures that all but wiped out all homin-kind - seems like some distant danger that I'm only reminded of if I go out and see the random one roaming the countryside, in which case, it may as well be any other mob.  It's like living in a city knowing that there are some "bad people" living in it, but knowing you'll be okay as long as you avoid the bad areas where they tend to hang out. Only time there's any sense of urgency is if I go well out of the way and down into their lair. The Kami and Karavan thing... again... no tension there. No sense of urgency. No sense of "stuff's going down between these two factions and I'm caught in the middle of it". It's like some inconsequential background noise that I'm only occasionally reminded of.

It's like being told by someone "See those two people over there? They absolutely *hate* each other and want to wipe each other off the face of the planet...". I look over and they're just two people blankly, unemotionally, looking at each other... kinda. No tension. No sense of "something's about to erupt here..."

For all that background and all that conflict and all that danger that you learn about on Atys, day to day life is primarily a very mundane and unspectacular combination of "go kill some mobs and level your skills, go do some harvesting either alone or as a team... do an outpost battle from time to time... do a trek from Tryker-land to Matis-land... maybe craft some gear..."

Ryzom is a wonderful setting for  a MMO that is, to me, still a "shell" of something much, much better... It's just missing "something" to really make it "pop".

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Ryzom is a fine sandbox game but it still has many areas in which it could improve.

1) PVE Content: For a supposed RP centric game ryzom is rather on the light side when it comes to Meaningful pve. Currently there are only a handful of non-instanced lairs in the game and all are for the high skill level type. It would be nice to have more pve content as you skill up beyond missions and spawn camping.

Why not throw a couple of those lairs in the early zones? 

Missions are a big complaint for me in ryzom, Why am I doing them? Once I get the fame I need to select a faction for pvp whats the reason to continue on the hundreds of random mission npcs in the game? I would like to see more focus on actual mission rewards, like gaining fame with a tribe yeilding more than their protection, maybe the ability to buy crafting patterns off them? or rare materials? maybe even TPs...

The encyclopedia? This is supposed to be a primitive lore book (similar to lotro) no? Well its incredibly under developed and could use some serious love. link more missions to it, give more titles, make it easier to understand.

Live Events... We need more of these, having two or three of these in a twelve month span isnt enough. Ryzoms live events are the games hook. This is the one feature that truly lets the player change the lore (officially). When I tell someone about ryzom the live events are one of the first things i speak about. it doesnt help the game retain players when they go the full 21 day trial and see no event at all.

World bosses, currently Ryzom has four or five major raid bosses in game. yet on starting the game the pve content puts no focus on them what so ever. Honestly I played the game six months and didn't know they existed. that is simply bad pve design. would lotro hide the sauron storyline from the player? would WoW hide the lich king story from the player?

These big bad mother fuckers need to be at the for front of the story. players should want to kill those bastards if they choose to commit to pve content in ryzom.

I fully understand that pve content needs to be optional but optional does not mean you can't try to bait people into it with a little lore and story in missions.

Ryzom Ring, In ryzom we have one of the best player content creation features. A player can make his very own mission hub, rp event,  dungeon encounter. Its simply amazing. the issue is the way its handled. first thing when someone creates a scenario they need to be online to host it for others. this is truly a waste. my not host ring scenarios on the server for seven days so people could participate? 

Another issue, the feature offers no reward for clearing the scenario and no reward for creating one. This needs to change. people need a reason to do things. give a little dapper,fame and xp for a hosted scenario, give a title or some xp for clearing a set amount in a week as a reward. dont make it to rewarding but give something so people will participate.

The new job/profession system, yeah this was just released. I resubbed to see this feature and was absolutely disgusted with how ameturish it was integrated in game. instead of actually programing it into the game, plugging it into the skill system. they made it a repetitive mission line that lazily utilizes a web based UI.

This could be done much better that some daily quest mechanic. choosing a profession should be character defining and not something that gives a player a small buff through a repetitive misison line.

Apartments, since im covering pve i might as well cover some social aspects of the game. The apartment system being nothing more than a personal bank has to be the most useless thing ive ever encountered in a sandbox. this feature should be much, much more. if anything give players an actual bank within the city and make apartments customizable. let me invite my friends. please please!!!!!

Mounts, can someone please tell me why my mount totally vanishes when it dies? in a pve focused game why have such a harsh penalty for using a mount? the developers need to understand their playerbase more. obviously they dont want a harsh dp. so why put in a mount mechanic that one would expect in a more ffa pvp centric mmo?

I say take the DP off the mount, but advance the mount care feature. feed it more, care for it. make it an actual pet. more of a pet simulation if you will.

Guys don't get me wrong I love Ryzom but clearly this game has much room for improvement. to say its the "best sandbox game" well just because its better than darkfall and mortal online doesnt make it the best game. Swg, AC, UO, shadowbane, Swg, EvE are all or were better than Ryzom.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• RetropressRetropress Member Posts: 1

Hi there, 

Just made this account for the sole purpose of asking anyone if they'd like to add a froob coming into Ryzom. Reading this entire discussion really makes me want to play this game. I for one don't need to see people grinding mobs or running by me every couple seconds to not feel alone in an otherwise desolate atmosphere. Just a friendly guild who'll run some instances, quests, whatever it is Ryzom has to offer. xD

"Live Events... We need more of these, having two or three of these in a twelve month span isnt enough. Ryzoms live events are the games hook. This is the one feature that truly lets the player change the lore (officially). When I tell someone about ryzom the live events are one of the first things i speak about. it doesnt help the game retain players when they go the full 21 day trial and see no event at all."

The whole idea of these Live Events sounds sick. 

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

I might go back after reading this, a big wide world where you can get lost and lose the rest of the players, lands were there isn't 50+ hacking and slashing away when i get there sounds great, please don't make this a big player base game, leave it to WOW and all the other low brow," I need'a hand to hold" type games,

I think most good games find the right players, it's the players who can't make up there minds about what they want in a game,  Ryzom was always fun for me to visit between other games or personal projects of mine) kind'a like a getaway holiday shack from the bigger mmorpg's, which to me makes me feel like it's repetitive  work more than play these days, I feel ryzom is more like a back too grass roots mmorpg game play, which is most likely because the player base is made up of older players, who most likely started on games like EQ, and ulitma online, etc.. old school sand boxers, unlike most of the people the op is chatting with, who come across more like themeparkers and why would themeparkers go to a theme park that looks empty, they wouldn't, but ryzom is not a theme park style game, I think players have to recognise what style of game they actually like to play and stick with that game.

I'm glad to hear that Ryzom is going strong with a good community and still adding in new content.

Jerry springer styled last thought, - I personally don't like or eat brussel sprouts, but I'm not going to argue with the fruit and veg shop owner about them, if he /she wants to sell them and a few others want to buy them, who am i to argue about them and claim that there not very good because a lot of people just don't buy a lot them.

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

These are my reasons to love this game: http://mmovoices.ning.com/profiles/blogs/ryzom-the-game-for-me

And while some of the points posters here have made are good and valuable, I and many of the current player base will not stand idly by and watch it turned into a WoW clone, with never dying mounts and no DP and other ridiculus stuff, that has been proposed frequently "for the goog of the player base".

Sorry, but some people do seem to think they and they alone are the so called "player base" and completely forget that there are people who simply do not like the run of the mill MMORPGs out there and like Ryzom for exactly the reasons others hate it.

IT IS NOT A NORMAL MMORPG!

And turning it into one will only destroy what it has got plenty of:

Uniqueness!

Its as simple as that. *points to signature*

CU

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?

Originally posted by MaDSaM

These are my reasons to love this game: http://mmovoices.ning.com/profiles/blogs/ryzom-the-game-for-me

And while some of the points posters here have made are good and valuable, I and many of the current player base will not stand idly by and watch it turned into a WoW clone, with never dying mounts and no DP and other ridiculus stuff, that has been proposed frequently "for the goog of the player base".

Sorry, but some people do seem to think they and they alone are the so called "player base" and completely forget that there are people who simply do not like the run of the mill MMORPGs out there and like Ryzom for exactly the reasons others hate it.

IT IS NOT A NORMAL MMORPG!

And turning it into one will only destroy what it has got plenty of:

Uniqueness!

Its as simple as that. *points to signature*

CU

SaM

PLease explain how dropping the DP from mounts and making them more like pet simulations is making ryzom anything like a wow clone? Are you refering to me wanting better pve in the game? so good pve makes a game a WoW clone now?

Ryzom is lacking dude, while i enjoy the game currently you cant deny that if could be improved. The fact that very few people even use mounts is reason enough to change the way they work.

Honestly, I dont think my post was too far off what many of ryzoms vet playerbase wants.

I've read alot of suggestions on the forums and what i covered with the ring, missions and events and even apartments have been asked for quite a bit by vets.

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

Naw, sorry Rock, I wasn´t exactly reffering to you. Your post just reminded me of some others I´ve seen over time, with demands to make the game "more like WoW to make it more player friendly.". - With like, Mounts that disappear into the bag and don´t need stables and such.  -.-

Sorry for the small rant.

CU

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?