Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why all the hate on STO?

2»

Comments

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by Kuatosune

Originally posted by Gkarn

Since I came back today to MMORPG there is nothing but negative threads about STO.

I saw where they are selling certain items on the C-store, but who cares. If you bought a lifetime sub, the reasoning behind to do this is so you don’t pay every month. If you only bought lifetime for an item, well you need to rethink how you spend your money. I read where someone bought 5 accounts for a special item, which is beyond crazy.

But reading the post here there is really nothing substantial wrong with the game. I recently bought the game for $16.00 and enjoy it. Not going to cry if they shut down the game today or if it went free to play. I haven’t invested but one dollar over monthly sub.

So why all the hate?

Why all the hate?  Are you kidding me!  Shesh...

For one it's a horrible game... HORRIBLE

For second they rushed this puppy out of the womb before it was fully baked.  It's a sad incomplete game that was done in a rikshaw manner to generate a quick $.

Thirdly if you want something neat... guess what you have to PAY them more!  Perhaps I could live with an item shop if the game wasn't a subscription game.  I expect that if I subscribe to a game that I have access to all the lite knick naks that would be potentially accessable.  Instead you want me to spend more... F THAT!

Fourthly the guys who put this game out are so full of it they all have brown eyes.  Lies after lies it doesn't get any more ridiculous than these bozos.

So if the game was f2p with the item shop you would be happy and playing?

Originally posted by Vespers

Originally posted by bstiff

Originally posted by Galdere

Raistalin69 the rating doesn’t mean shit, Vanguard is one of the best games out on this site, come on man. If you were crying about STO, Vanguard would have made you commit suicide at launch.

Do any of you still play?

And for the other guys talking about I should have read the other threads, I did.

The most common gripes are these:

Klingon needs more content. (I agree)

Multiple C-Store complaints (don’t agree on any of it)

Being repetitive. (You know this is a MMO. Please name one MMO that is not repetitive.)

Lack of Content. (all new MMOs have this problem)

Leveling too fast (that is one of my complaints)

How can anyone take your view on the C-Store seriously, when you start a thread based on a misapprehension about the current issue with it?

So you've been playing a matter of days having bought it in the Steam sale. When you know a lot more then you can validly come back and try and argue that there is "really nothing substantial wrong with the game" if you still want to.

At the moment you have a lack of knowledge and experience, you're making mistakes and assumptions, so best not rush in to try and to tell those of us who have been playing since the start how it is.

Who said I have been playing a couple of days, I was in beta, decided not to buy the game until the price is good for me. I have played for a month now (fee out of my bank yesterday), which is a lot longer than people who get paid to review a game. You assumed than I bought the game for $16.00 off of Steam when I bought the game last month off of Ebay for $16.00.

Also as you see I have been with this site 6 years prior to you. Which might give me just a tad more credibility? And out of the years I have posted I have never whined about any game here (you can look at my older post). Each game that’s made, you either like it, don’t like it or like it for X amount of time.  If a person is stupid enough to spend tons on a new game and don’t know what they are getting into then tough shit (I am one of them, lifetime Champions)

Now did you come here to debate the issues or be a troll and attack the poster?

If you like the game and want it to succeed then fire away, debate the issues. If you don’t like STO then why are you even here?           

Maybe we all can get a good consensus and send the problems to Cryptic and maybe they will listen, if they don’t then don’t support them.

However the problems that are listed here now and in other threads are supposed to be taken care of in July (we’ll see). The only one issue I think is utterly stupid is the C-Store complaints that I have read. And those will not be addressed as the issues are resolved as they are concerned.

Debate the issues? If you'd bothered to look half way down the page, you'd have seen a thread with the exact same topic and pretty much the same title where you would have found the answers to your questions. If you enjoy STO fine, good for you. But why do you care that others dislike it so much?  Creating a new topic on the same subject reeks of trolling and wanting to start a flame war. I guess you figure you wouldn't have gotten as much attention if you posted in the old thread?

You know I can look at all your post. And not one has been positive to STO. Do you still play the game?

I purchased 2 games at Launch, one for myself and one for my wife. We stopped playing after a month because the game just wasnt the style that my wife and I enjoy playing.

However, I believe that when I paid $80 for those games, that also entitled me to any comments that I may have towards the game, past, present and future. If Cryptic would like to buy me out for the sum of $80 then I will never post any comments about the game. Until that time, whether I play the game or not, I am entitled to say what I wish about this game or any other game that I spent my hard earned money on.

I realize that your comment was not directed towards me but I find it crazy that someone would presume to tell someone else that they shouldnt be posting comments on a forum just because that particular person may have stopped playing the game.

My intent is not to silence anyone, even if I wanted to, do you think I could do that?

Originally posted by raistalin69

Originally posted by Galdere

Raistalin69 the rating doesn’t mean shit, Vanguard is one of the best games out on this site, come on man. If you were crying about STO, Vanguard would have made you commit suicide at launch.

And for the other guys talking about I should have read the other threads, I did.

Being repetitive. (You know this is a MMO. Please name one MMO that is not repetitive.)

Who said I have been playing a couple of days, I was in beta, decided not to buy the game until the price is good for me. I have played for a month now (fee out of my bank yesterday), which is a lot longer than people who get paid to review a game. You assumed than I bought the game for $16.00 off of Steam when I bought the game last month off of Ebay for $16.00.

Also as you see I have been with this site 6 years prior to you. Which might give me just a tad more credibility? And out of the years I have posted I have never whined about any game here (you can look at my older post). Each game that’s made, you either like it, don’t like it or like it for X amount of time.  If a person is stupid enough to spend tons on a new game and don’t know what they are getting into then tough shit (I am one of them, lifetime Champions)

Now did you come here to debate the issues or be a troll and attack the poster?

If you like the game and want it to succeed then fire away, debate the issues. If you don’t like STO then why are you even here?           

Maybe we all can get a good consensus and send the problems to Cryptic and maybe they will listen, if they don’t then don’t support them.

However the problems that are listed here now and in other threads are supposed to be taken care of in July (we’ll see). The only one issue I think is utterly stupid is the C-Store complaints that I have read. And those will not be addressed as the issues are resolved as they are concerned.

ummm, i played vanguard right after launch, had more content and was ten times the game sto is. i havent played in years allthough i have considered giving it a second chance. (my main reason not too is actually not wanting to support soe) it is a signifigantly better game and deserves a higher rating. its the people who play the games that rate them here, if it was awful it would be rated more along the lines of what sto is, so i really dont understand how rating means nothing when its the people who use this site that rate the games?

your correct about all mmo's being repetitive, but i will state that most games are not as repetitve and more creative in mixing it up than sto. imho sto doesnt even have a crafting system or exploration, which almost all games do to some extent (its not that they dont exist in sto, they just are so poorly made that theres no point in them). perhaps it would have been more accurate to say that sto is so much more repetitive than many mmo's on the market that its comical.

lack of content: well this kind of is combined with repetitivness. i guess you could make the argument that sto has infinite content (there exploration system or pvp), of course this would be misleading. haveing 3 or 4 maps/missions for exploration and a dozen maps for pvp is not a vast amount of content, its just the same thing over and over again. theres really no point in discussing this, as it heavily documented on every major gaming site that sto suffers from a severe lack of content even for a new game.

Also as you see I have been with this site 6 years prior to you. Which might give me just a tad more credibility?

no it does not, making a logical argument would though.

because this is open forum not censored by the company that controls the game so you can get honest uncensored opinions about a game. i use it to make informed decisions about the games i buy, and therefore encourage people to continue expressing there views both positive and negative here. 

i am not supporting cryptic and many here are not,  i thought that would be fairly clear if you read some of this forum. in fact cryptic erases a lot of the criticism they get on there forums, which is why myself and many other post here, so as to getting a majority of people to let cryptic know whats wrong with the game in there opinions it has been done. cryptic erases a lot of it.

im not sure if you heard of the "90 day patch", it was supposed to take care of many of the problems too. i hope cryptic's july patch manages to resolve the issue's that myself and many others have complained about , but personally i highly doubt it.

AS TOO A CONSENSUS ABOUT STO, THERE IS ONE, VOTED ON BY THE USERS OF THIS SITE,  ITS NOT A GOOD GAME.

Go look at WoW and it's place on the game list. Then look at the games that beat it.

But on the issue of being repetitive. At least LOTRO and STO have random mission type, but they will be repetitive in the end.

As for the cendorship, read this.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=156640

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

I don't hate the game. I just thought it was quite a strange IP to base a MMO on. Don't know why really, but it just didn't feel right. I'm not a diehard fan of startrek by any sense. I like the next generation series, and I have seen almost every season.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by raistalin69

Go look at WoW and it's place on the game list. Then look at the games that beat it.

i dont understand what your point is here? wow is rated in amongst a lot of other established games that have many people playing them. i know people that have played and loved every game (except one) that are rated above it, i also have tried and didnt really like some of them.

But on the issue of being repetitive. At least LOTRO and STO have random mission type, but they will be repetitive in the end.

putting a random number generator that goes from 1 to 4 in front of 4 different missions (sto exploration) is a positive quality? i think my sense of what a positive feature in a game is a lot different than yours. in fact id say this is a huge failing on stos part, not a positive. lotro has a similar thing, but i dont feel it really compares as it was added years into the game when it was actually a playable game(this is a feature, improving on something that is complete, if it was over one third of the game comprising pvp and explorationas it is supposed to be in sto, it actually would be a failure)

As for the cendorship, read this.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=156640

yes i am aware that cryptic has been called out so many times on there censorship that they now have to let the odd post stand rather then be ridiculed even more. i wonder if you read the post htough, the person mentions multiple posts that were deleted by cryptic. so i guess if you think letting one of twenty posts cryptic doesnt like stand (im being generous at that) as being free and open speech with minimal censorship, well then im glad i live in a free country. having said all this its there forums they can do whatever they want.

ps: i think you missed the most important part of my last post, it involved making a logical argument.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

I personally hate the game because Cryptic took an IP that had great MMO potential and turned it into a buggy, broken piece of uninspired repetitive garbage.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Every week I swear theres a new one of Why all the hate for this game and for champions online.

Theres never smoke without fire.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Wicoa

Every week I swear theres a new one of Why all the hate for this game and for champions online.

its because a lot of people (myself included) have an issue with sto  that was best expressed by one of there employee's when he said "some people just dont get it".

i have to agree with him, in fact i think the vast majority of people who play mmo's fall in to that category and in fact have moved past that to "just dont want it"

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• david13edavid13e Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by Giosync

The game isn't terrible, but what basically kills it is the fact that Cryptic cares more for the C-Store than their own game.

Holiday weekend coming up.  All C-Store ships on sale 20% off!!  First thing you see when you enter thier site.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Wicoa

I'm beginning to think that the CDF has set up a rotating roster, and they just take turns visiting various websites to defend the games.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan