Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luck system present?

EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

The people from FFXI will know what I mean when I ask, is there any sign of a complex luck system in FFXIV?  Maybe it's not called a luck system but something along these lines:

You know, on a certain day, a certain moon phase, facing a certain direction, with a certain weather, will greatly effected their character's % chances to do things, from crafting, to spells, to misses and crits, to loot drops.

For example: "If there is a full moon and its Earthsday, Then the drop rate is slightly better and skill ups are higher, but if its a New moon and Firesday, combined with facing West and the weather being Double Fire, I shouldn't get resisted with this next fire spell!" 

Does there seem to be anything like that in FFXIV?  Not that I didn't enjoy having every facet of the envirenment effect my character, it got kind of annoying after awhile.  Like I log on and feel like crafting but then I see the Quarter Moon and am like "WTF is the point of crafting right now!?"  hehe.

And yes that example was very exaggerated. 

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

Comments

• SergenSergen Member Posts: 48

For some reason I recall seeing a picture of the stats in the game and seeing luck as one of the stats.

I'll edit this post if I can find that picture again :)

However i'm not sure about moonphases or elemental days. Probably best for someone else to answer that.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by Edeus

You know, on a certain day, a certain moon phase, facing a certain direction, with a certain weather, will greatly effected their character's % chances to do things, from crafting, to spells, to misses and crits, to loot drops.

Not like that, no. They're thinking it's too demanding for the player. 

But for example with a class like Fisher the type of bait you use, the type of water you're fishing from (pond, stream, ocean),  the overall rank of your class, and the fishing rod will affect the type of fish you can get. That kind of system is still there. So it's not only the level of the class that separates a fisher (or miner or botanist) from one another- you will also become a better fisher as you figure out more, deeper layers within the game. Sardines prefer salt waters while basses are more likely to be found in fresh waters, for example.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

Originally posted by Sergen

For some reason I recall seeing a picture of the stats in the game and seeing luck as one of the stats.

Luck is no longer a stat in the beta.

• NixishNixish Member UncommonPosts: 185

The hidden attributes of moon phases and days was an interesting concept. I dont know if they are using it again in FFXIV. I do know that the stat "Luck" has been removed.

Taken from ffxivcore.com-

Stats used in Beta

• HP, MP, and TP, which were raised by physical bonus points in the alpha, will now go up automatically.

• Strength, Vitality, Dexterity, Mind, Intelligence, and Piety will be raised by physical bonus points.

• Fire, Ice, Wind, Earth, Lightning, and Water elemental properties will be raised by elemental bonus

• Agility, Charisma, and Luck have been scrapped

• Physical and elemental bonus points will be earned when physical level raises.
  • EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Originally posted by Hyanmen

But for example with a class like Fisher the type of bait you use, the type of water you're fishing from (pond, stream, ocean),  the overall rank of your class, and the fishing rod will affect the type of fish you can get. That kind of system is still there. So it's not only the level of the class that separates a fisher (or miner or botanist) from one another- you will also become a better fisher as you figure out more, deeper layers within the game. Sardines prefer salt waters while basses are more likely to be found in fresh waters, for example.

Oh thank goodness.

But what about there always being a % chance to fail/miss/resist/not catch anything, even after stacking a huge amount of accuracy, magic accuracy, or being a master fisher?  Sure realistically there's always a chance to fail, but we're not playing an MMO for the realism now are we haha? 

I've just grown accustemed to, after a certain lvl or skill, not missing/failing at things that are 20 lvl's below me at whatever skill or craft I'm doing.  That was another aspect of FFXI that seemed very luck driven to me.  

Oh thank goodness.

But what about there always being a % chance to fail/miss/resist/not catch anything, even after stacking a huge amount of accuracy, magic accuracy, or being a master fisher?  Sure realistically there's always a chance to fail, but we're not playing an MMO for the realism now are we haha? 

I've just grown accustemed to, after a certain lvl or skill, not missing/failing at things that are 20 lvl's below me at whatever skill or craft I'm doing.  That was another aspect of FFXI that seemed very luck driven to me.  

We don't know, since no one has gotten that far yet.

From the looks of the crafting system so far, it could be likely that you can get unlucky for one part of the synthesis process, but that doesn't mean it automatically fails. A lot more is in the players' hands than before, thats' for sure.

• pesh131pesh131 Member Posts: 35

Crap, I sure hope they arent dumbing the game down to accomodate every person that wants everything to be easy. What I enjoyed about FFXI as opposed to WoW was that there were people that were revered for their crafting skills and knowledge. In wow, everyone crafted the same thing forever, including epic items. FFXI, very few people could HQ certain things because they took the time to research and learn through trial and error which direction to face, what to put in the mog house, what day, etc. The depth was one of my favorite things about the game. Damn, dont make everything so easy for everyone please.

Originally posted by pesh131

Crap, I sure hope they arent dumbing the game down to accomodate every person that wants everything to be easy. What I enjoyed about FFXI as opposed to WoW was that there were people that were revered for their crafting skills and knowledge. In wow, everyone crafted the same thing forever, including epic items. FFXI, very few people could HQ certain things because they took the time to research and learn through trial and error which direction to face, what to put in the mog house, what day, etc. The depth was one of my favorite things about the game. Damn, dont make everything so easy for everyone please.

They're simply making the system in a way that it doesn't require you to log in at X time to get most out of your craft. 

The process itself is much more interactive than XI's "pick crystal, choose ingredients, hope for best" system. That's where the depth and skill comes from, not the moon phase and firesday.

• Sad_PandaSad_Panda Member Posts: 131

Originally posted by pesh131

They're simply making the system in a way that it doesn't require you to log in at X time to get most out of your craft. 

The process itself is much more interactive than XI's "pick crystal, choose ingredients, hope for best" system. That's where the depth and skill comes from, not the moon phase and firesday.

But for people like me who could be arsed to pay attention to the day and moon phase, it was just one more factor that made XI enjoyable.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I remember in another game who's name wont be mentioned the rumor was that the loot that dropped in a certain raid dungeon was dependent both on who was the first one in the raid to zone in AND on what class the raid leader was.  lol good times

Originally posted by Sad_Panda

But for people like me who could be arsed to pay attention to the day and moon phase, it was just one more factor that made XI enjoyable.

And now it has been replaced with other factors, that are arguably better. The game is no simpler than before.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

The new system sounds fun. Something fresh and doesn't involve waking up at 3am on a tuesday just to get that full moon earthsday grrr. 

• Sad_PandaSad_Panda Member Posts: 131

And now it has been replaced with other factors, that are arguably better. The game is no simpler than before.

Then please argue away, I've yet to be convinced.

Then please argue away, I've yet to be convinced.

NDA prevents me. I don't want to be banned. 

I'll just say that it's more interactive. That alone makes it hundred times better than XI's.

• mudd4evermudd4ever Member Posts: 158

As long as it's no where near as luck/RNG-based as Aion, I'll be happy.  The prevalence of RNG in Aion totally turned me off crafting just for starters.

pie.