Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eurogamer re-review of expansion

Eurogamer re-reviews Rise of the Godslayer expansion.

For those active in Age of Conan already, however, Godslayer is a great step for the game. With well-considered new features, glorious artwork and fantastic music, it demonstrates Funcom's design and art teams firing on all cylinders, building on the work done by the technical team in bringing the game up to scratch over the past two years. Conan isn't about to threaten the biggest players in the MMO space, but it has found a niche for itself nonetheless, and Godslayer sees it settling into that role in confident and well-executed style.

For the whole of it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/age-of-conan-rise-of-the-godslayer-review-final?page=1

Comments

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

8/10 is a solid score and shows the rushed 1st version was wrong. Kudos for the correction.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

The review is pretty good. The expansion has really done a lot to flesh out the pve side of the house. PvP still needs some work thou.  

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I'm generally a fan of AoC but I think the score was a little generous, I would have gone for a 7 prior to todays patch which probably takes it to 7.5. I love the challenge of the new areas but it is so gear reliant and that gear at the moment requires a significant grind which I'm not prepared to do, as they add more quests , as they did with todays patch, it should improve. The instances are great and everything else said in that article is true, I'm just not fond of gear being so important or grind of any kind. I haven't yet unlocked many of the AA skills, but I'm liking that side of it a lot.

• GiosyncGiosync Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by Zer078

way way too nice

good luck trying to get DX10 running at 2560x1650 on core i7 980x and 480 setup ;( 

Maybe you should get a smaller moniter, I use 1280x1024 and it works nicely.

Big isn't always better you know...

I'm free on Friday.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

I get massive FPS with the rig in my sig.

Internet speed is part of the equation to and lots of people have crap internet.

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378

8/10 is about right imo, after I have played it for a month or two maybe 7.5 but I would have given it 8.5 shortly after release.  The main problems with it have been Funcom's slow reaction to expliots and addressing the grind.

WOW - I just agreed with a Eurogamer score!

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Eurogamer gets paid for scores, it's pretty obvious if you read their reviews. I don't understand why people keep linking what they review games as.

Screw them. Any number they give to any game is pretty much pointless.

More advertising money = Better review.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

That sounds somewhat strange when you consider that their 1st review of RotGS given at the daty of the launch was a 6 by a reviewer who clearly hadn't played the game for more than a few hours and who was also new to AoC itself.

It was right that they retracted that review, it also shows that in this case t'bribery' wasn't the issue.

I don't know how Eurogamer usually rates, but around 8-8.5 was a fairly objective grade for the expansion, as a lot of the other reviews show the same rating.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by cyphers

That sounds somewhat strange when you consider that their 1st review of RotGS given at the daty of the launch was a 6 by a reviewer who clearly hadn't played the game for more than a few hours and who was also new to AoC itself.

It was right that they retracted that review, it also shows that in this case t'bribery' wasn't the issue.

I don't know how Eurogamer usually rates, but around 8-8.5 was a fairly objective grade for the expansion, as a lot of the other reviews show the same rating.

Agree.

And a score from Eurogamer of 8 (espcially for an mmo) is dam good tbh.

Originally posted by TheHatter

Eurogamer gets paid for scores, it's pretty obvious if you read their reviews. I don't understand why people keep linking what they review games as.

The ylost alot of credibility even before the original review.  I don't trust Eurogamer tbh.

• KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

The review is good and the expansion is very good. Now if I could just stay logged in for more than an hour without lagging out and finding myself dead that would really be great.

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

lol, lots of them do.  Ever wonder how all those mediocre console games get such good reviews (e.g halo), especially by the xbox official mag.  Yet they get awful scores when those same games get released on PC by some of the lesser known reviewers :P

Originally posted by NasherUK

lol, lots of them do.  Ever wonder how all those mediocre console games get such good reviews (e.g halo), especially by the xbox official mag.  Yet they get awful scores when those same games get released on PC by some of the lesser known reviewers :P

Yeah if you read any console mag you can knock 2 points of it, most games get 7-8.  I guess it's in their interests.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by bluefunk

Originally posted by cyphers

Agree.

And a score from Eurogamer of 8 (espcially for an mmo) is dam good tbh.

Yeah, after Eurogamer gave Darkfall a 4 in the second review, I thought that there would be riots by the Darkfall folks. Eurogamer typically gives PC games a slightly lower rating than console games thou.