Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is it only on low levels this way?

majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

So I stopped playing WoW some years ago when raiding started to suck up too much of my time. Since I'm currently not subbed to any MMORPG (thanks to FE implementing their cash shop) I thought "why not try WoW again and see what has changed".

So I download the WoW trial, make some chars, play some. And.... the question is: does the ninja looting each dungeon happens only on lower levels or also on higher ones?

I'm in shadowfang keep, healing with my shaman. The group has two warriors and two hunters. Arugals robes drop. I'm happy "nice loot for healing" (since I was the only caster obviously). But of course, a hunter rolls need and leaves the group.

Or I finally manage with a group to finish wailing caverns (hard enough with random groups). A ring with 6 spirit, 3 int and 3 stamina drops. Warrior tank rolls need and leaves.

Or I am with some other char in the deadmines. First boss drops that 11 stamina 2handed hammer. A hunter rolls need. When I ask him why he needs a weapon that doesn't help him the slightest with his ranged damage, he leaves the group. A new hunter joins. He rolls need on a blue ring with intelligence and hit rating, and leaves the group. A new hunter joins. He rolls need on that caster staff with 8 int, 5 sta and 5 spirit. When asked "why do you roll need on a caster weapon?" he says "I trained staves, I can use it!!!".

Or I'm in SFK with my warrior as DPS (signed in as tank or dps). The healer is afk, tank pulls anyway. Tank dies. Tank leaves the group. Healer leaves the group. There are two dps left, one of which a paladin. I say "ok, you heal me paladin and I tank, and we continue until we find more". He says "I can't heal more than 60 health". I sigh deeply, and ask him to at least res the other dps dude lying dead on the floor. Pala says "I can't res".

With quests it's worse. Like, ragefirechasm. Someone asks "anyone got quests?". I say "sure, I gladly share them if we do them too". I share them, people accept. People refuse to do the quests though.

I don't get it. This is so much nonsense. I mean what's the right attitude to deal with this? Is the only way to manage a dungeon with a random group without getting annoyed is simply to be like them: roll need on everything blue and leave if asked why, and ignore any quests but asking for them anyway? Just play deaf, ignore all reason and run along with the crowd?

Or is it only on low levels this way, and the higher the level is the more people know what they are doing?

Sometimes people do that stupid stuff, that I'm not sure if they do it on purpose. Maybe I missed something, and collecting blue drops you can't use is "cool" nowadays or there is an achievement for it?

On the one hand I think "well, still better than some other MMORPGs". On the other hand I think that the way PUGs behave with the dungeon finder is unbearable.

Thanks for any insight on what's it on higher levels. :)

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Comments

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

Since cross-realm dungeons were introduced people have ninja-looted left and right. This doesn't happen later on if you play with your guild (unless you're playing with people that are 40+ years old).

Eleanor Rigby.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Originally posted by Treekodar

Since cross-realm dungeons were introduced people have ninja-looted left and right. This doesn't happen later on if you play with your guild (unless you're playing with people that are 40+ years old).

Well I assume that within normal guilds people don't ninja loot. But if I join a random PUG on 40, 60 or 80, do people ninja as much as on 20?

I mean I just don'T understand why they do it that much. Even if they are completly new to the game, you might think that cloth robes with intelligence and spell power might not be the right loot for you if you are a hunter. I just don't get it. It can't be stupidity (or lack of knowledge), it must be some kind of hater attitude.

Originally posted by maji

Well I assume that within normal guilds people don't ninja loot. But if I join a random PUG on 40, 60 or 80, do people ninja as much as on 20?

I mean I just don'T understand why they do it that much. Even if they are completly new to the game, you might think that cloth robes with intelligence and spell power might not be the right loot for you if you are a hunter. I just don't get it. It can't be stupidity (or lack of knowledge), it must be some kind of hater attitude.

I don't know this first-hand because I quit right before the dungeon finder was introduced. My brother however is still playing and as far as I can tell people still ninja-loot even at level 80. It's not that big of a deal though because the badges you get from the instances can be used to buy high-end gear, but it is obviously still annoying.

People ninja-loot to please their e-peen. It's the ''I'm probably never going to play with you again, so I can just laugh at you while I take the stuff you want'' kind of mentality that they are following.

I heard a blacklist of some sort is in the making by the players, so you know which people not to play with.

Eleanor Rigby.

• PapamacPapamac Member UncommonPosts: 162

"Grant me the serenity to accept that which I cannot change."

Ninja looting has been a problem in every MMO since grouping and loot was introduced.  Your best bet is to just move on. More loot will drop.

There's really nothing that Blizzard can do to stop it.  Any change they made that was intended to catch and punish ninjas would just end up being used as a griefing tool.

If it's any consolation, it starts to get much better once you hit your 50s.  By then, most of the classes have matured enough that the players understand what they can/can't use.

Unfortunately, it never really subsides completely.  There will always be people who need on something by accident.  I've done it myself on a few occassions.  And there will always be people who take extreme pleasure in making other people's gaming experience as unpleasant as possible.

Welcome to the internet.

• AsavarKulAsavarKul Member Posts: 7

I don't know this first-hand because I quit right before the dungeon finder was introduced. My brother however is still playing and as far as I can tell people still ninja-loot even at level 80. It's not that big of a deal though because the badges you get from the instances can be used to buy high-end gear, but it is obviously still annoying.

People ninja-loot to please their e-peen. It's the ''I'm probably never going to play with you again, so I can just laugh at you while I take the stuff you want'' kind of mentality that they are following.

I heard a blacklist of some sort is in the making by the players, so you know which people not to play with.

Well, I can't talk about lower levels, but at lvl 80 in the Spanish servers u don't see so many ninja retards. Of course u end up in a dungeon with one eventually, but it's a rare case (maybe I've been lucky). About the lower levels, there I cannot help you, since I never went on a PUG with an alt before quitting,

But nowadays in WoW, ninjas apart, the community sucks, in my server we were 4 or 5 guilds of ''mature'' people, and most of the rest are those annoying kids whose only vocabulary is 'LOOK AT MY KEWL EPIKZ, I'M GONNA PWN U BITCH''.

I miss vanilla days.

P.S: sorry if my english is bad, but I'm spanish :P

• SouzetsuAeriSouzetsuAeri Member UncommonPosts: 120

I see Ninja looting spreading like a plague. One person who has never ninja looted falls victim to a jerk Needing on a piece of gear they could use. That person again is in a dungeon and falls victim a 2nd time. After that it just spreads from there. Now they start to Ninja Loot because they think its alright. Next thing you know more and more people are doing it.

Just don't get your hopes up in a PUG and you'll be fine. Just hope that person, whoever they are falls victim just as they did to you... :) Revenge is sweet.

• sleekjagsleekjag Member Posts: 21

although i hate the fact that FE has started the new trend of a cash shop although it's not that big of a deal . You do realize wow has a cash shop as well.  I'm just stating this because it sounds like you quit a game because of that fact and yet your going back to a game that also has that.  Just thought i'd let you know.

Hm yeah, good old days without crossrealm stuff and without server transfers or name changes, where you had a reputation to take care of. A pity you can't ask on the WoW forums with a trial account on which servers are mature guilds left. Then I could have a look how many there are before deciding to resub or not.

Maybe I should create a website myself where you can register, then choose the game, enter a player name and then choose from a list what griefing they did (or if they did something helpful) and allow users to upload or link to videos and screenshots as "proofs". :)

Originally posted by sleekjag

although i hate the fact that FE has started the new trend of a cash shop although it's not that big of a deal . You do realize wow has a cash shop as well.  I'm just stating this because it sounds like you quit a game because of that fact and yet your going back to a game that also has that.  Just thought i'd let you know.

In FE the cash shop has items which are usable (ie. goggles that gives stats), but in WoW there is no such thing. A flying glass horse can hardly be compared with statgiving items.

Eleanor Rigby.

Originally posted by sleekjag

Well with WoW everyone saw it coming, and apart from the offline-auctionhouse the stuff you can buy doesn't give you any advantages.

In FE, they first stressed that they'd never implement a cash shop and everything would be available to all subscribers. Well, they lied. They also normally announce all kids of stuff weeks ahead. Not the cash shop. Pop: it was there all of a sudden. And the first thing it does is selling extra bag space and buffs for lower level players. And then they have the nerves to call it something great and meant to make the game better for the players, since they sell RP-equipment via the cash shop. Yeah thanks.

Well, I guess I play a few more days trial WoW and then decide if I can bear the ninja looting or not.

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

FEs cash shop only has 2 items, not to mention the goggles are only level 3 and really not that great, the general community of asswipes that dominate WoW is far worse then a pair of worthless goggles in a cash shop.

Godz of War I call Thee

Originally posted by waveslayer

FEs cash shop only has 2 items, not to mention the goggles are only level 3 and really not that great, the general community of asswipes that dominate WoW is far worse then a pair of worthless goggles in a cash shop.

I agree that the FE community is one of the best I encountered in MMORPGs, and leagues ahead of the WoW one in matters of maturity and helpfulness. Still, that doesn't make agree with the decision to implement a cash shop in FE all of a sudden when they said such a thing would never happen, call it a great thing for the RP players, and selling items that help players. More bag space = more loot = more money / more crafting and you can stay around killing stuff longer before you have to return to town = also more XP or whatever you were looking for. And if the stats are only good on a low level I don't really care. The point is that I am very disappointed in the FE developers. FE was for me some kind of freedom in an MMORPG. No invisible or visible walls and barries, no children screaming for PvP, no dozens of servers that constantly get merged, split or newly pop up. And the cash shop feels like a stab  in my back. And I can't pay my subscription fee without having the feeling of telling them that way "yes please, may I have another?".

Maybe I exaggerate, but it's not my job to be logical. :P Depending on how FE and the cash shop developes, I return to FE.

Still, this thread wasn't intended to be about FE.

• echo117499echo117499 Member Posts: 52

I recently tried wow for the first time, leveled a warlock to 80 mainly by using the dungeon finder and quests inbetween and i can honesly say i only remeber one dps take a tank item and that was a lvl 80 instance, so i guess its just look really.

Im on Kilrogg, Misery battlegroup.

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

I've never experienced a ninja-loot in any PUG on any of my four 80's , guess I'm lucky.

Originally posted by Dreamion

I've never experienced a ninja-loot in any PUG on any of my four 80's , guess I'm lucky.

Or my brother was unlucky. I really can't tell if ninja-looting is the norm or not since I haven't tried the dungeon finder.

Eleanor Rigby.

Originally posted by Dreamion

Hm yeah, maybe on 80s it's different. In ~lvl 20 dungeons, I had people ninja-looting blue drops in 3 out of 4 dungeons.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

It's going to be like that all the way to and during level 80. Not everyone is an asshat that way, I've been in plenty of groups where people passed if you asked for the item, but then again I've been in groups where not only do people ninja but they will also leave if a certain boss doesn't drop an item they need and it's usually a needed class like a tank or healer that do it.

The LFG tool made raiding 5 mans much easier, but it also made it easier to exploit other peoples time as well. I quit playing about 15 months ago and started again about 3 months ago. I lasted all of three months before I got tired of WoW this time. I don't hold out much hope for Cat keeping my attention for long if at all this time around. I've been playing since the month after launch and during that time I've watched the game go from awesome to mediocre and the community from fun to just intollerable. Sorry to group everyone in a blanket comment about the community but the nice people are far outnumbered by the idiots. There are plenty of nice people who play too but it takes too damn long to find them.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I use DF almost every day and I haven't been in a group with ninja looters yet. Maybe people are needing because they need something. I have even had people trade me a won item when my resto shammy couldn't need on a healing leather piece (which is dumb to begin with by the way)

/shrug

• AngryvilleAngryville Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by bigsmiff

I use DF almost every day and I haven't been in a group with ninja looters yet. Maybe people are needing because they need something. I have even had people trade me a won item when my resto shammy couldn't need on a healing leather piece (which is dumb to begin with by the way)

/shrug

I wonder what these people are talking about. You can only need on your own specs items with the DF. Meaning a pala can only need on plate healing gear. He can't need on healing leather or cloth. So much for Ninja.

In the OP's example ...: a Hunter rolling "need" for a cloth?: impossible these days.

The example is wrong.

Originally posted by Angryville

I wonder what these people are talking about. You can only need on your own specs items with the DF. Meaning a pala can only need on plate healing gear. He can't need on healing leather or cloth. So much for Ninja.

I ready something like that in some news a while ago. So I was kinda shocked to see paladin roll need on a blue dagger or lvl 15 hunters roll need on mail armor. Maybe that works only on 80, with the "you can only roll on it if you can wear it", and from 1 to 79 it's disabled?

• AngryvilleAngryville Member Posts: 27

I ready something like that in some news a while ago. So I was kinda shocked to see paladin roll need on a blue dagger or lvl 15 hunters roll need on mail armor. Maybe that works only on 80, with the "you can only roll on it if you can wear it", and from 1 to 79 it's disabled?

Nope it simply can't. A hunter can't roll on cloth, a paladin can only roll on Plate etc...

Of course you can always be diplomatic and ask the others to "pass" so you can greed.

• echo117499echo117499 Member Posts: 52

Pretty sure i couldnt roll on melee gear all the way through as warlock, memery is a bit fuzzy though lol.

Nope it simply can't. A hunter can't roll on cloth, a paladin can only roll on Plate etc...

Of course you can always be diplomatic and ask the others to "pass" so you can greed.

Create a paladin, go around lvl 20 in some dungeons like shadowfang keep or ragefire chasm or wherever daggers drop and roll need on them. I saw that happening. Heck, as said, I saw a hunter roll on an arugal's cloth robe earlier. Next time that happens I can take some screenshots for you guys. :P It happens often enough.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Create a paladin, go around lvl 20 in some dungeons like shadowfang keep or ragefire chasm or wherever daggers drop and roll need on them. I saw that happening. Heck, as said, I saw a hunter roll on an arugal's cloth robe earlier. Next time that happens I can take some screenshots for you guys. :P It happens often enough.

There are no resttictions on who can roll need on weapons, trinkets and rings.  Not sure whether armor always has restrictions or whether it kicks in at higher levels only.

• Lizard_SFLizard_SF Member Posts: 348

I've been very lucky that all the PUGs I've been in have been quite polite, people often asking "Anyone mind if I need on this?" Personally, if I've already need'ed and won a good item, I won't need again, unless absolutely no one else wants it. The other problem, that of the mad insane race to the final boss and quit, is due to the fact most players are on their fourth or sixth or twelth alt, and just want an achievement or a roleplay item, and don't want to do the quests, let you read the flavor text, or even appreciate the design work. With luck, Cataclysm will be making everything new again -- it's really "WoW 2" -- so we may see a lot more interest in the older dungeons.