Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting player (casual/solo) Suggest me a career

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Hi everyone.

I just couldnt pass steam offer on EVE.

So i got a new account.

I have tried EVE several times. Playing trials, or even extended trial. But i never managed to catch on on fun.

My goal was to create blockade runner. High risk transport player. But when i came close to it , i realised few things:

Trading is expensive ( you need to invest much credits to make some profit ) , since you are hauling pretty much everything you own - its also too risky , and last but not least ... its kind of boring.

So...I am looking for new target career.

Here is what i dont want to do: Gank-Pirating(i love only fair fights) , mining (yawn) , industry (not a big on crafting)

My restrictions are: I am family man , a dad. So i have only 2 hours playtime at night, and even that might be interrupted. So I can not be reliable for organised play. And must look for more SOLO oriented job.

What I like to do: Exploring , high risk-high reward , non repetitive

So please point me in right direction And help me have EVE FUN !

Comments

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

Jump to low sec/0.0 and start shooting at random people. High risk ensured.

Find a pirate corp asap and they will surely point you in the right direction.

Eleanor Rigby.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Join a corp somewhere, go kill stuff?
    There are no fair fights in Eve, just accept that fact and you'll be fine..everyone does his best to outsmart the enemy.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Yea. But wouldnt a corp require me to be at certain spot at certain time ... like organised patrols and stuff ?

What about all those wormholes, and wreckages, research ?

Is that any fun to do ?  ( and does not require months of training before you can do it)

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by Lobotomist

But i never managed to catch on on fun.

What makes you think you will this time around? :/

its kind of boring.

QFT.

My restrictions are: I am family man , a dad. So i have only 2 hours playtime at night, and even that might be interrupted. So I can not be reliable for organised play. And must look for more SOLO oriented job.

Based on this, EVE is not for you D : Even flying solo, simple traveling takes ages... Don't even get me started on the skill training...

Exploring

All the systems pretty much have the same layout save for the wormholes and pretty trinkets littered about >_>

high risk-high reward 

The good high risk/high reward stuff, you already said you don't want to do...

non repetitive

LOL? It's EVE...Even the name is repetitive...

: / I played EVE for WAY longer than it's worth and its seriously lacking in content unless your a pvp junkie who hangs out in 0.0 all day, and that's not even that fun...

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

Yea. But wouldnt a corp require me to be at certain spot at certain time ... like organised patrols and stuff ?

What about all those wormholes, and wreckages, research ?
    Is that any fun to do ?  ( and does not require months of training before you can do it)

There are corps that basically consist of nothing but weekend warriors.
    I haven't seen too many corps that require someone to log in all the time, not even in 0.0. Usually you have a base of operations and larger corps often have some logistics people who would even ship stuff around.

Obviously you'd have a problem with a limited time budget for things like fleet operations, which tend to last a tad longer..but there's enough stuff to do without those.

My old corp consisted of 1/3 weekend warriors, 1/3 carebears and 1/3 inactives, and we did fine..

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Hi everyone.

I just couldnt pass steam offer on EVE.

So i got a new account.

I have tried EVE several times. Playing trials, or even extended trial. But i never managed to catch on on fun.

My goal was to create blockade runner. High risk transport player. But when i came close to it , i realised few things:

Trading is expensive ( you need to invest much credits to make some profit ) , since you are hauling pretty much everything you own - its also too risky , and last but not least ... its kind of boring.

So...I am looking for new target career.

Here is what i dont want to do: Gank-Pirating(i love only fair fights) , mining (yawn) , industry (not a big on crafting)

What I like to do: Exploring , high risk-high reward , non repetitive

you do realize you are contradicting yourself.

You want to find a way of living that is exciting but also high rewarding. But then it turns out too risky???

Makes it not so boring then.

Then you find a way to do hauls but it turns out boring, low profitable? Ofc it is.

The less risk, the less reward.

People that know a moneysink ingame by doing hauls etc that give good rewards will not give you their routes or goods to haul because they don't want you to ruin their good trades, that's normal...so it just turns out that if you want to earn th ebig bucks, you wil have to take more risks and risking to lose your ship+cargo.

About PVP, there's no such thing as a fair fight. EVE is a sandbox and very like the real world; why take risks if you just can take some friends with you and kill the target of anyway?  9/10 the people that want to "duel" have backup standing by anyway so the only time I have seen a fair fight was between corpmates or the occasional PVPer that looks for fair fights.

(and I can count those players on 1 hand during the past 7 years I can tell you)

So in short: noone is gonna give you any money sink secrets to the detail, they might give you a direction to look to, but in the end you have to find it out yourself. And in EVE it is just like this:  the higher the risk- the higher the reward.

If you want a exciting solocareer, I would suggest you to do solo PVP, but be prepared that most fights you will encounter will be at uneven odds. Eithe rby you ganking on some poor ship ot capable to kill you or others zerging you.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke

you do realize you are contradicting yourself.

You want to find a way of living that is exciting but also high rewarding. But then it turns out too risky???

Makes it not so boring then.

Then you find a way to do hauls but it turns out boring, low profitable? Ofc it is.

The less risk, the less reward.

People that know a moneysink ingame by doing hauls etc that give good rewards will not give you their routes or goods to haul because they don't want you to ruin their good trades, that's normal...so it just turns out that if you want to earn th ebig bucks, you wil have to take more risks and risking to lose your ship+cargo.

About PVP, there's no such thing as a fair fight. EVE is a sandbox and very like the real world; why take risks if you just can take some friends with you and kill the target of anyway?  9/10 the people that want to "duel" have backup standing by anyway so the only time I have seen a fair fight was between corpmates or the occasional PVPer that looks for fair fights.

(and I can count those players on 1 hand during the past 7 years I can tell you)

So in short: noone is gonna give you any money sink secrets to the detail, they might give you a direction to look to, but in the end you have to find it out yourself. And in EVE it is just like this:  the higher the risk- the higher the reward.

If you want a exciting solocareer, I would suggest you to do solo PVP, but be prepared that most fights you will encounter will be at uneven odds. Eithe rby you ganking on some poor ship ot capable to kill you or others zerging you.

A bit contradicting myself. Yes...

But high risk trading means take all the credits you have. Put it in a cargo of a ship and haul.

If you get blown you lose all.

On other hand , a risk where you may lose the ship and equipment - but not all the money in the bank at same moment.

That is the high risk aceptable to me.

As for solo PVP.

That might be viable for someone with 1year+ account. But for a fresh player ?!?

A fresh player can have some solo fun too, but without a good mentor it would be needlessly hard.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

As for solo PVP.

That might be viable for someone with 1year+ account. But for a fresh player ?!?

you can earn money very easy these days, although it might require you to do some carebearing, but a bit of earning ISK should support many hours of pvp fun in cheap ships.

Buy a cheap rifter or cruiser and pvp in those, if you lose those, no problem, very cheap to replace, easy as a newb it should not be hard to get a good wallet to support such combat.

Join Red vs Blue, lots of combat to be had. You can use cheap shils to do that, good fights, and you will avoid that 0.0 lagfests with big alliances which I have to endure every time. :P

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

You might not be able to do everything and probably not as efficiently like someone in a corp but all 'careers' are possible to do solo just fine.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Red vs Blue or faction warfare will suit your play style. If (and you probably will) get into combat, focus on learning to fly frigates. They are the bases of much of EVE's warfare and loads of fun. You can log on, jump in a cheap ship, and go ball's out.

Just forget about your fair fight idea's, they don't apply here and that's something you have to learn. Get on team speak, learn to fly, and have some fun.

Also you might want to think about looking into worm hole corps. A well run one can provide alot of diversity and are usually very casual friendly. The thing that I like about them, is you get to see all of EVE in a way no other play style can provide, as everyday a WH opens several doors to random systems. Add to this production, logistics, sleeper sites, it's alot to do.

Though I don't recommend it, you can go strait solo as an exploration pilot. It's very risky but also fun and rewarding. Sneak into low are null sec and scan down sites, then sneak back in and run them. Doing this from a WH is a great way to play solo.

Hope this helps, good luck and fly safe!

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Starting off with just rookie chat and a NPC corp to guide you is rough.

I tried playing like that my first two or three attempts at Eve and failed.

It wasn't until I found a corp with common goals was I able to stick it out. The social interaction helped move things along and educate me of the game mechanics.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Don't.

You're not going to learn EVE on your own.

• 0dd10dd1 Member Posts: 54

I was - and am - in a similar situation to you... I have just re-started playing eve from scratch after several years break, but have the kids and house to look after between my playing times.  I've been back on for a few days, and have managed to arrange myself and my gaming to suit my lifestyle.

-Join a Corp that respects your time schedules, and that knows you won't always be around, and when you are around, you can't always do stuff together.

-Love the skill-queue system.  Get 24hours of skills queued up where possible so if you can't get on, you're still learning.

-Do the tutorial, and then do all the agent missions.  Money, Skills, Ships, but more importantly, a taste of the basics you can do.

My original post on here, titled "Coming Back :D" is still down there somewhere - have a read through the suggestions on there :)

"Reading computer manuals without the hardware is a frustrating as reading sex manuals without the software."
    -Arthur C. Clarke

Originally posted by TheHatter

Don't.

You're not going to learn EVE on your own.

That's not true.

With the exception of Null sec life you can learn eve mechanics being in a NPC corp (or NPC FW corp). It just takes way longer and your at risk of being bored due to the repetitive nature of eve and the loneliness of not having a corp to play with.

My first corp were a bunch of mission runners and industrialists that owned a POS in empire.

I learnt how to pvp solo due to all the wardecs. unlike most that learn to pvp in a frig i learnt solo in a Vexor and after losing a few over time got more kills solo than ship deaths. I learnt everything from Baiting tactics and how to fight in low sec solo through reading the pvp section of the eve forums and watching youtube videos.

I believe it was a goons pvp "how to be a pirate" video that started me on my way.

So it is completely possible to learn more than basic pve solo.

• lykkenlykken Member UncommonPosts: 97

I have played EVE since 2003, and its the Perfect MMO for the Casual player. If you wanna start out just to test it, or wanna do it  the "Pro" way thats up to you, here is a link of how to do it at the start http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=242786

This is just one way to do it, but you have 2 remaps now so, use one of them at the start NB. Max MeM, then the rest in INT. Other stats at the lowest possible.

I have played "every" MMO out there, and EVE is the game where I meet all the MMO vets, and they stay here.

- In EVE you have to figure out what to do, the game will NOT tell you.

So. Its important that you have a Plan from day 1. BUT for the love of God do the tutorial and all of them, that will give you 2mil isk or so with ships, and skills for free.

There is NP soloing this game, but you will feel lost, and confused what to do. Join EVE university.

If I was you:

- Create a Caldari toon. Do some missions for Caldari Navy. The reason for this is that missions will give you Isk, learn how to fight, and Standing with Caldri Navy, good for trade.

- Then you Join 0.0 if you wanna go Hardocre. Dont wait xxx time before you do it, just do it.

If you wanna take it a bit easy at the start do missions while you learn the game, and MAN there is a lot to learn..

- Within 1-2 mount you can be an asset to anyone. If you have a plan with your skills etc.

The Consept of EVE:

- FIrst forget about "I dont have the skillpoints etc. The last skill V the one that takes Days to learn, will only give the vets a 5% bonus. And with the right fitting you will win no matter " In EVE with security provided by CCP you can trade, buy toons with ISK(gold) when ever you feel for it.

- Everyone in EVE wanna have you in a Corp, there is big competition, so find a corp that will provide som ships, skills etc.

- Dont be affraid to ask questions, Nobody in EVE knows everything.

- DONT go for the big ships, the noobs of EVE will go for a Battleships, but dont have the skills or the experience to handle it. Its not like any mmo that bigger is better. A small frigate can take out a battleship etc.

- Dont fly things you can afford to lose, Most haters of EVE, are the ones that Rage  quit, after losing everything they had. AND there is no safe spot. Yes, the attackers will die every time you get attacked in safe zone, but its basic math, if you have to much of value, they will take it,

The Best with EVE. 

- Very mature, average age of 28. No kids that have to eat dinner with Mum or go to bed.

- MMO vets end up in EVE.

- EVE has no Old stuff that is obsolete everything from 2003 is still valid.

- EVE is constantly upgrading graphics,, engine, hardware etc

- Expansions are free.

- You can play this game for free, buy new toons for free If you have the isk.

++++++

Man, this is just points, gee getting into a wall of text here. Just ask some questions, and I`ll try to answer em.

Thanks everyone. Real useful info.

But i must say that from my experience in EVE: you must have a goal. (or at least i see it that way)

I can just create toon and put all training points in learning skills and such. But it does not give me a goal.

I have Minmatar toon. That i planed carefuly to be blockade runner. Most of skills maped out.

Now i am torn if to go with new account (gain 51 days) or activate the old trial one with Minamatar toon.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

If your Minmiatar account is strictly a 21 day trial you won't be losing that many SP's and I'd recommend you start over with a new account to take advantage of the extra free days and the 2X SP training bonus that new accounts get these days which will boost you on your way pretty quickly.

However, if you have 3 or 4 months on that other account, activate it because the SP's you've already trained will probably come into play somewhere.

After 3 years of playing EVE I'm finally training up for Blockade running ships so you never know when you might want those skills.

As for a casual career that isn't high risk I'd start out on the mission running path first, get some combat skills and experience under your belt, and once you get solid on level 4's turn your sights on living in wormholes.

Only flaw with the plan is it takes some time, I don't recommend moving to WH's until you've got about 6 months of training under you so you can fly a well tanked Battleship (for Sleeper OPS) and an exploration ship (because everyone has to be able to scan out wormhole exits.

Meanwhile the mission running will keep money coming in, you can join corps that run both WH's and mission regularly though many won't take you while you are still on a trial account.

If you'd like to do some fighting, you can stay in the NPC corps and jump over to faction wars or red vs blue on occasion just for some quick fun, then back to the npc corps when you tire of it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

If your Minmiatar account is strictly a 21 day trial you won't be losing that many SP's and I'd recommend you start over with a new account to take advantage of the extra free days and the 2X SP training bonus that new accounts get these days which will boost you on your way pretty quickly.

However, if you have 3 or 4 months on that other account, activate it because the SP's you've already trained will probably come into play somewhere.

After 3 years of playing EVE I'm finally training up for Blockade running ships so you never know when you might want those skills.

As for a casual career that isn't high risk I'd start out on the mission running path first, get some combat skills and experience under your belt, and once you get solid on level 4's turn your sights on living in wormholes.

Only flaw with the plan is it takes some time, I don't recommend moving to WH's until you've got about 6 months of training under you so you can fly a well tanked Battleship (for Sleeper OPS) and an exploration ship (because everyone has to be able to scan out wormhole exits.

Meanwhile the mission running will keep money coming in, you can join corps that run both WH's and mission regularly though many won't take you while you are still on a trial account.

If you'd like to do some fighting, you can stay in the NPC corps and jump over to faction wars or red vs blue on occasion just for some quick fun, then back to the npc corps when you tire of it.

Thanks mate.

This really sounds reasonable. And i plan to follow this advice.

Anyway. I found that blockade runner skills are expensive. And starting from scratch as a trader is steep climb.

So running missions could be good source of income in the beggining.

By the way

I decided using combination of rifter-mission runner-pvp

http://www.rifterdrifter.com/rifter-pvp-guide/

And later developing into blockade runner.

Question is , what race , stats ..etc - would be best for this ?

A link to cool templates would help a lot :D

• lykkenlykken Member UncommonPosts: 97

Originally posted by Kyleran

Thanks mate.

This really sounds reasonable. And i plan to follow this advice.

Anyway. I found that blockade runner skills are expensive. And starting from scratch as a trader is steep climb.

So running missions could be good source of income in the beggining.

By the way

I decided using combination of rifter-mission runner-pvp

http://www.rifterdrifter.com/rifter-pvp-guide/

And later developing into blockade runner.

Question is , what race , stats ..etc - would be best for this ?

A link to cool templates would help a lot :D

Race dont matter. I did give you a good advice on training  ^^ You hav 2 remaps to set your own stats. What you have to do is:

Goal 1: Rifter, Blocked runner. : Thats a goal, good. Then you have to figure out the skills you need to fly them, and set up a plan. A Training plan: Here http://evemon.battleclinic.com/ Download EVE mon, and the Program will tell you what is the best way to do it.

NB: If you are lazy, or good forbid Stupid you can end up using 2-3 longer time to get to train,use the ships proprly.

Mission running is a ok way to get isk, and Yes, I was you Galdari Navy- In short make an Galdari toon.*

********* MY BEST --- Advice-- After seeing some post from you ********************

You main goal for Solo PVP, etc is to go for a

http://eve.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_Assault_Ship Assault ships with stealth. Then you can do some solo PVP, or have fun, like the rogue in wow, its made of paper but, hit hard.

NB, you can use the ships in stealth mode to find trade routes fro you blockade runner etc.   

And.....Write you goal at the EVE, Noob section, and many will help you out.

One final advice.......

When you lose most or if not all of your stash: Dont whine her bc you failed EVE :). Get you azz up and start again....

- Thats an Order Soldier :D 

Assault ships with stealth !

Sounds cool :)

Thanks for advice

Hacs don't use stealth..
    Either they use speed (vagabond) or they just use their superior dps. Slapping a cloak on them gimps them into oblivion for any serious pvp use apart from niches.

If you're looking for stealth, you need to look for Recon Ships like the Arazu, Pilgrim, Falcon and Rapier.

Be aware though, that stealth automatically means paper thin. They're good force multipliers, but rarely good solo ships since they lack both dps and tank. As with any specialized ship, they're only really good in a fleet with other people.

Originally posted by batolemaeus

Hacs don't use stealth..

Either they use speed (vagabond) or they just use their superior dps. Slapping a cloak on them gimps them into oblivion for any serious pvp use apart from niches.

If you're looking for stealth, you need to look for Recon Ships like the Arazu, Pilgrim, Falcon and Rapier.

Be aware though, that stealth automatically means paper thin. They're good force multipliers, but rarely good solo ships since they lack both dps and tank. As with any specialized ship, they're only really good in a fleet with other people.

"Speed or superior DPS"

Did CCP get that description when they built the ishtar?

You are correct however, adding a cloak to a HAC makes it crap for pvp but if the player wants to do some exploration/plexing?

I remember fully fitting my very first ishtar with a prototype cloak so i can probe in peace or go afk. worked out pretty well.

That's why i wrote "pvp", not "pve"

Originally posted by batolemaeus

That's why i wrote "pvp", not "pve"

I know. I just laugh everytime someone says that about Hacs "Speed or Dps".

My ishtar doesn't fall in either category.