Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alpha Protocol is actually quite good

DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

I see why it's gotten some negative reviews, but I've been enjoying it. I think it's a game that RPG fans would like and action game fans would not like, and maybe a lot of the reviewers lean more towards action. It's true that the combat is not that great, especially if you've recently been playing Mass Effect 2, but the story progression and RPG elements are great. I'm only a short way into it, but I'm really digging the whole James Bond-esque spy atmosphere and evil conspiracy story-line.

If you play action-RPGs more for the action than for the story and character interaction, you wouldn't like Alpha Protocol. But if you play action-RPGs more for the RPG stuff and not so much for the action, you'd probably like it.

Comments

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

While I dont want spoilers, I would like to know in a day or two if you havent finished it, if the story says strong, or like some "Spy" games you figure it out half way through and get borred.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by Ekibiogami
    While I dont want spoilers, I would like to know in a day or two if you havent finished it, if the story says strong, or like some "Spy" games you figure it out half way through and get borred.

Well, I'm several hours into it now and it's still very strong. There really isn't one big mystery to figure out. The story is actually pretty complicated, and I can see that I'll have to play through it more than once to really get the whole picture.

And I'm enjoying the combat more now that I have better abilities. Martial arts is a good way to go. Running up and beating up the bad guys is much more fun than the lackluster cover-shooter action. I'm also finding that there are quite a few non-combat missions mixed in, so there's plenty of RPG gameplay to give you a break from the so-so combat.

The only thing I really dislike about the game are the mini-games (i.e. hacking terminals). I didn't like it in Mass Effect and ME2, and it's even worse in Alpha Protocol.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Just finished the game yesterday and must say i was surprised at how much i enjoyed it considering there wasn't much hype surrounding it's release.

Thought there was a good mix of action and RPG elements.  The story was solid and as mentioned above complicated, there were lots of factions and people involved and not everyone were as they seem.  The choices you made also had an impact on the story which was great.

The only thing that i could fault it was the skill system, it was very uninspiring and i pretty much went through the game only activating a skill probably around 10 times max.

Replayability is there also, you can make different choices second time around and it will affect who assists you or doesn't help you, what intel you get etc.

All in all a very enjoyable game.

• Sarge994Sarge994 Member Posts: 44

I thought it was alright, I liked stealthing around. I didn't like the nondescriptive chat system(i'd prefer me/me2 style.) Only boss I didn't like was in Russia(disco guy, wtf knives.) story was..I don't know. I went around to 3 cities and I had no idea why I was going there until I finished, and at some points the future falshbacking scenes got annoying.

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

Glad to know its playable as I ahd been hearing that it wasn't very good

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS