Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Putting out the call

AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

Anyone got a good list of games that are old school, sub only? As in not sub with a disguised cash shop you can use to buy 'exclusive' items, that in the end, are all and more than you can get from a sub(AKA DDO, etc)

I am looking for a game that you pay for, that your on equal grounds with everyone else, with no chance of some turd with 500 bucks worth of 'cash shop goodness' owning you (or the map your on)

I miss old school games like ashrons call, etc, and am just plain sick of the F2P hyper grind market, the cash shop run 'cheaters paradise' games. I want a list of games that are TRULY sub only, not sub 'but' added bonuses, etc.

Anyone able to help compile a list? (The mmorpg.com list does NOT acuractly seperate them, most that are listed as 'sub' are infact cash shop run, and those listed as 'free' are sub, etc. Someone needs to rehaul each games descriotion and details)

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

That'd be too many games to list.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

Actualy, its not. Take any game you 'think' of being sub only, and its prob a 75% chance that you will discover its item shop run.

I thought exactly as you do, but got down the 'small' list of sub games, and found that only 2-3 were (as far as i could tell) pure sub games. unfourtnatly most of THOSE are wow/wow clones. (Vanguard was the only one that wasn't a straight up wow/eq clone.)

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

All I can offer is that I went back to EQ2 after a spell and am having a blast.

Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf

Actualy, its not. Take any game you 'think' of being sub only, and its prob a 75% chance that you will discover its item shop run.

I thought exactly as you do, but got down the 'small' list of sub games, and found that only 2-3 were (as far as i could tell) pure sub games. unfourtnatly most of THOSE are wow/wow clones. (Vanguard was the only one that wasn't a straight up wow/eq clone.)

Vanguard uses an item mall though.

I'll give some pure sub games from top of my head: EVE, darkfall, Ryzom, Mortal online, WAR, Lotro, Aion, AOC, FFXl, COH.

Originally posted by orlac

EQ2 also has an item mall.

• MintersMinters Member UncommonPosts: 55

Anyone got a good list of games that are old school, sub only? As in not sub with a disguised cash shop you can use to buy 'exclusive' items, that in the end, are all and more than you can get from a sub(AKA DDO, etc)

I am looking for a game that you pay for, that your on equal grounds with everyone else, with no chance of some turd with 500 bucks worth of 'cash shop goodness' owning you (or the map your on)

I miss old school games like ashrons call, etc, and am just plain sick of the F2P hyper grind market, the cash shop run 'cheaters paradise' games. I want a list of games that are TRULY sub only, not sub 'but' added bonuses, etc.

Anyone able to help compile a list? (The mmorpg.com list does NOT acuractly seperate them, most that are listed as 'sub' are infact cash shop run, and those listed as 'free' are sub, etc. Someone needs to rehaul each games descriotion and details)

Have some questions , do you see stuff like pets with no stats as "cheaters paradise" ? Or do you mean only those with cashshop that sell armor and such stuff`?

http://theultimatecombo.com/blog/
    Dual blog with 2 nerds:)

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

And thats any different then the guy with no life who plays 23/7 how?

Oh wait, i forgot mmo gamers think that playing mmos is some kind of achievment.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

A cashshop that offers cosmetic changes, is fine, since that gives no advantage one way or another. What is an offset is an item that u can buy for 5-10 bucks that gives 'guarnteed' upgrade sucess type thing. (Idk if u know exactly wha ti mean, but in many games u have a chance to fail while upgrading)

anything else, if its avalible in the game normaly, then anyone else should have a chance to get it. (And ya i kinda feel those who grind 24/7 for stuff are lame too, don't think they deserve any more, so get off that defensive train of thought, lol -- imo most games should have a 'declining rewards' system that rewards those who play 1-2 hrs at a time, but after that u get little back.

Originally posted by Gabby-air

I'll give some pure sub games from top of my head: EVE, darkfall, Ryzom, Mortal online, WAR, Lotro, Aion, AOC, FFXl, COH.

wow really? ok i mised that :(

Too bad Lotro is going to be item mall in a week or so.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

know that the other games is the same, but the things you call a cash shop in EQ2 doesnt really have an upper hand as the OP suggest he dont want in a MMO.

there is xp gain potions, but then gaining xp is already laughable easy, so couldnt imagine anyone sane would buy those....so not really an upper hand, the rest is for looks for the house mainly, gender/race or server transfers for the rest.

not to defend the shop in EQ2 and every other SOE game, cause it does sux and am 100% against the shop in MMOs that you pay a sub for....but you dont get an upper hand from it.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

wow really? ok i mised that :(

Too bad Lotro is going to be item mall in a week or so.

as my post above what you call an item shop and the guy saying vanguard got an itemshop aint really thinking of the same thing....vanguard aint got an itemshop as the one Lotro is introducing now.

again tho. personally dont think cosmetics for sale in a sub game is okay at all.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

just looked at fallen earth and sto, neither of which list in the games list that they have item malls/cash shops, your right it would be nice if this was fixed. i avoid games that have cash shops but have no issue with a p2p model. im sure you could find out with a little research (which i should do anyways) but it is  currently not accurate.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

I was ok with the buisness model that mabinogi had about .. idk a year or so ago.

Basicly it was f2p with a cash shop that sold pets(most were decent priced, 5-10 bucks max for a pet that was permanent) and a vip sub that lasted 30 days, cost around 15 bucks. Sub basicly means that you could avoid 'item drop' in death up to 3 times (and it recharged once per ingame day, which was about 24min per day)

Now its all been removed and instead u have to buy a stone tht costs 3-4 bucks each to 'raise on  the spot'.

So before u had no real advantage otehr than less 'cost' (due to repairs, item loss, etc - blessed items did not drop and took half damage from use) and now u can get up when u die, as long asu pump money into the system.

This is only ONE example but it sorta outlines what i mean. As it was before someone could try the game, at no real disadvantage, but the stuff sold in the item shop DID encourage u to pay. U got to keep most of the stuff u bought forever, and it did have somewhat of an impact on playing (IE: more storage, pets could 'help' somewhat, etc) but nothing was game breaking. Now i fu do NOT buy cash shop items, don't bother trying any of the harder dungeons without a well set up crew.(and even then im betting most would prefer to have the cash shop items)

Really though I miss old school mmos like i said, where you pay, and u are on equal grounds as everyone else. Yes I do realize that this also means those people who can play constntly for 24 hrs a day will be a foot up on everyone else, but if u also implment a 'rest system' where u get diminishing rewards the longer you grind(encouraging ppl to try diff chars or do something else while they play) limits that advantage somewhat.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Hedeon

know that the other games is the same, but the things you call a cash shop in EQ2 doesnt really have an upper hand as the OP suggest he dont want in a MMO.

there is xp gain potions, but then gaining xp is already laughable easy, so couldnt imagine anyone sane would buy those....so not really an upper hand, the rest is for looks for the house mainly, gender/race or server transfers for the rest.

not to defend the shop in EQ2 and every other SOE game, cause it does sux and am 100% against the shop in MMOs that you pay a sub for....but you dont get an upper hand from it.

The XP Potion is one of the main items that those against item malls point out as cheating or an unfair advantage.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Little short in the ram deptment bro, or is that an old sig?

On-topic:  Tera might fit your bill but it's not out yet and it's not a clicky tab target game.  But then again if you don't like the look of asian games then nvm.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

oh..lol yea that sig is.. old.

I currently have 4 gigs of ram :D (And this is my 'junk' rig)

Too lazy to delete it, put that system together prob close to 7-8 years ago.