Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one who thinks...

2»

Comments

• x3r0hx3r0h Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by Waldoe

That TERA looks like Aions slightly prettier sister?

The world, characters, and such look very similar to Aion. Or is that just how Korean MMOs are in general?

Serious inquiry.

looks don't matter. The gameplay is everything.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Your pride, good sir, far exceeds your worth." -x3r0h

Oldest mmorpg.com member with the least amount of post counts. That counts for something, right?

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Originally posted by Ballista

I've played both. They don't look anything like each other.

TERA has better graphics, but other than that, the world is just as bland as with any other Korean MMO..

It feels forced, just like in Aion. "Aion - the tower of Eternity". "The exiled realm of Arborea".. "Let's get this lore/art style thing over with, we gotta get to making the combat flashy!"

Are you claiming that you're in beta?

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

The important thing is not just the FPS aiming, it's the whole collision checker.

Being able to dodge monster attacks like in a console game (say Demon's souls) makes combat much more dynamic than "tab 1,2,3,4,5,6 macro 1, macro 2" while drinking a coke and watching TV.

The game mixes positioning combat (like DAOC) along with the hit detection system, this is pretty new to me, at least in a "well done' manner (seriously spellborn and DDO ? Why not darkfail and Mortal crapline too they got the same way of mindlessly swinging ur sword at the speed of an old lady, there's no dynamic in that, if we go down that way even UO had hit detection).

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Check out this lvl12 Sorcerer, note the move a 0:57  http://www.youtube.com/user/rendermax#p/u/16/rP10Vi6fV2A

The mob jumped over the sorcerers attack.  Oo

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• WolfenbaneWolfenbane Member Posts: 48

the moment I go the main website and see a teddy bear in what looks like a mage oufit is the moment i switch off.

Not a fan of korean styled games - aion was ok but full of account hackers and what not...

But this the teddy bear alone and mystical magical unicorn walrus.....

Im out. Not my cuppa at all.

• OReardonOReardon Member Posts: 13

I bought Aion, WOW, Conan, Champions, Guild Wars, City of Heros, and have played many of the F2Ps. I loved the idea of Aion, but the problem with it is the almost exclusive collection quest content, and the complete linear feel of the game, which failingly told everyone you could fly then limited it to "special" areas. Note to Game Designers* Don't make a predominantly linear world game that limits flight because you don't want people to fly everywhere, then advertise that as a major component of the game.

Another problem in almost all of these games is the grind. I don't mind collection quests but the game should not be exclusively made that way. Once you have killed 60 squirrels to get 5 tails for the Butcher, Baker, or Candelstick Maker, that method of gaming looses vitality if forever repeated. Every new game I have played has that same basic element over and over. It doesn't matter what new spin (lore) you put on it, this type of gameplay gets old fast. That is what hasn't changed; that model of gameplay. The games that were open world and provided enough of an alternative route in conjuction with collection quests that the play was diverse, those games succeeded. The games that were more linear that had/have phasing and alot of goal oriented play also succeeded. If you look at games the majority always site as fun, you will see those styles of play: open world diversity of quests and gameplay styles, then linear, phased, and goal/mission oriented. Guild Wars and Wow experimented and took the time to listen to feedback about how quests were done to completely diversify the player experience. One of the main reasons the MMO player base is discontent is because of the complete lack of diverse cohesive play experience existing in most MMOs. So your only options are really good games that with 6 year old art. Where are the new games that learned six year old lessons at? If you play those games you see the success of these experiments.

I don't play WOW or Guild Wars any more but I appreciated how those games had worlds that felt cared for and alive. I never felt that way about Conan. Conan felt so unpopulated and nothing mattered. WOW and Guild Wars also gave players different experiences, like phased missions that felt like your character helped or harmed the world, jousting for your home country, or instancing with a single player party. This is just a drop in the collective bucket  of experiences that those games created for the player. I think maybe LOtrO and Warhammer could be added to the good list to a lesser degree. You just don't get the variety of quality in anything else.

*Outside of Raids or Dungeons favorite MMO experiences was Shiverpeak Quests in Guild Wars, and the simple little Missing Diplomat Questline in WoW although the phased stuff in Northrend is great

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Um yeah!! They look damn similar. Saying they look "nothing alike whatsoever" is just pure fanboism at its finest. Saying they look alike graphics wise does NOT mean it's a negative thing either.
  • RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Originally posted by haibane

The important thing is not just the FPS aiming, it's the whole collision checker.

Being able to dodge monster attacks like in a console game (say Demon's souls) makes combat much more dynamic than "tab 1,2,3,4,5,6 macro 1, macro 2" while drinking a coke and watching TV.

The game mixes positioning combat (like DAOC) along with the hit detection system, this is pretty new to me, at least in a "well done' manner (seriously spellborn and DDO ? Why not darkfail and Mortal crapline too they got the same way of mindlessly swinging ur sword at the speed of an old lady, there's no dynamic in that, if we go down that way even UO had hit detection).

Demon's souls and tera, not comparable. Demon souls art are perfect for both asian and western. Tera, for ppl who like hentai, huge sword asian stereotype, colorful type game instead of dark feeling.

When i see pvp videos of tera, they seem like shit. In Demon's souls, pvp is so great and seem more realistic.

Please, dont talk about mortal online if you dont know what it is. Its not a spamfest at all because you have to charge release to deal more damage and you have enough time to react to your opponent attack by blocking.

Age of conan combat for his part, 100 time better then what tera have to offer.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by Gortz

the moment I go the main website and see a teddy bear in what looks like a mage oufit is the moment i switch off.

Not a fan of korean styled games - aion was ok but full of account hackers and what not...

But this the teddy bear alone and mystical magical unicorn walrus.....

Im out. Not my cuppa at all.

This FTW.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Originally posted by haibane

Demon's souls and tera, not comparable. Demon souls art are perfect for both asian and western. Tera, for ppl who like hentai, huge sword asian stereotype, colorful type game instead of dark feeling.

When i see pvp videos of tera, they seem like shit. In Demon's souls, pvp is so great and seem more realistic.

Please, dont talk about mortal online if you dont know what it is. Its not a spamfest at all because you have to charge release to deal more damage and you have enough time to react to your opponent attack by blocking.

Age of conan combat for his part, 100 time better then what tera have to offer.

Defending Mortal Online and saying Age of Conan's combat is 100 times better? You, sir, must live in a delusional world.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by Otakun

Defending Mortal Online and saying Age of Conan's combat is 100 times better? You, sir, must live in a delusional world.

You sir are stating the obvious! :)

I'm not saying that TERA is the best game in the world, but I've played TERA at firsthand for several of hours of gameplay. Even comparing Mortal Online and Conan with TERA is like.....it's so ridiculous that I can't even come up with a similar comparison of something such as stupid.

Comparing TERA with Aion? That's fine and acceptable, but Conan and MO. That's a big NO.

• A1x2e3lA1x2e3l Member UncommonPosts: 131

Have you seen many MMOs that have collision detection for PCs/NPCs/creatures? Are you not tired of fighting standing in a middle of a dragon?

I have not played TERA, but players who played the game are reporting that TERA has these collision structures (e.g. you PC cannot go though a creature). This feature alone can revolutionize combat mechanics. Note, that Aion and TERA are based on different game engines:

Aion, modified CryEngine 1.

TERA, Unreal 3.

Originally posted by A1x2e3l

Have you seen many MMOs that have collision detection for PCs/NPCs/creatures? Are you not tired of fighting standing in a middle of a dragon?

I have not played TERA, but players who played the game are reporting that TERA has these collision structures (e.g. you PC cannot go though a creature). This feature alone can revolutionize combat mechanics. Note, that Aion and TERA are based on different game engines:

Aion, modified CryEngine 1.

TERA, Unreal 3.

As far as I have played in the FGT the only way you can pass through enemies is if you use abilities to do so. The warrior/slayer dodge can go through enemies which might annoy some people but you need to against bigger mobs.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by Waldoe

That TERA looks like Aions slightly prettier sister?

The world, characters, and such look very similar to Aion. Or is that just how Korean MMOs are in general?

Serious inquiry.

It's the korean style. But anyway it looks really nice.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

I don't really think it looks like Aion at all.  I really like the tank class videos.  The problem is no amount of flashy combat or colorful graphics will change the fact that almost every Korean mmo is a serious grindfest with very little focus on story, questing, lore, adventure, mystery, and all the things that stimulate the mind.  I think almost every one is just an epeen grinder with PvP being the only saving aspect of most.  Some small budget games take risks and sometimes it pays off, but usually not at the AAA level.

I hope Tera changes this, but since it is what sells in Korea I just don't see it happening.  Fun for a bit till the gimmick wears off and then you find yourself in a ridiculous grind with barely any content being applied and you will ask yourself wtf am I doing.  The devs spend the same amount of time on content for level 6-7 as they do for 66-67 only it takes 2+ weeks for the latter.  Still i'm sure it's worth at least the box price for the initial fun.

Originally posted by ProfRed

I don't really think it looks like Aion at all.  I really like the tank class videos.  The problem is no amount of flashy combat or colorful graphics will change the fact that almost every Korean mmo is a serious grindfest with very little focus on story, questing, lore, adventure, mystery, and all the things that stimulate the mind.  I think almost every one is just an epeen grinder with PvP being the only saving aspect of most.  Some small budget games take risks and sometimes it pays off, but usually not at the AAA level.

I hope Tera changes this, but since it is what sells in Korea I just don't see it happening.  Fun for a bit till the gimmick wears off and then you find yourself in a ridiculous grind with barely any content being applied and you will ask yourself wtf am I doing.  The devs spend the same amount of time on content for level 6-7 as they do for 66-67 only it takes 2+ weeks for the latter.  Still i'm sure it's worth at least the box price for the initial fun.

Bluehole is aware of the difference in player opinions in east and west which is why they created En Masse to change the game to fit us westerners. Though honestly in the FGTs for both Korea and America, we both asked for the same changes.  Apparently from the info I have read on En Masse is adding a lot more quests for our version to remove any grinding. Though its still unknown since we havent done any late game testing. If people would do a little reading you would know, yes TERA is Korean, but En Masse has rights to change the code to fit our needs unlike NCwest did. So, understand it gets really annoying to hear people say "TERA will suck cause its Korean".

• mysticquemysticque Member UncommonPosts: 36

I'm just disappointed why they have chosen NHN to market this product. NHN is the the worst publisher on earth.

Not that I care about the future of Bluehole but I strongly believe NCsoft has something under their sleeves that will take care the competition against Tera. B&S has pretty much outmatched Tera in every angle.

[email protected]
    www.youtube.com/411mysticque

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by mysticque

I'm just disappointed why they have chosen NHN to market this product. NHN is the the worst publisher on earth.

Not that I care about the future of Bluehole but I strongly believe NCsoft has something under their sleeves that will take care the competition against Tera. B&S has pretty much outmatched Tera in every angle.

NHN could market both or it can do the eastern market only.  We will know that when it gets closer to launch.

What about B&S ?  I have not seen much from them besides those old trailers many months ago,  what's up with them anyway?

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

they do have abit similar art style, but they are very diffrent game in many aspect, but alike in some parts i would guess as all MMO's are ^^

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

Originally posted by mysticque

Simply visit FAQ section on http://tera-online.com and see that publisher for western community (at least NA) is En Masse Entertainment. The only thing that is not clear is who's gonna distribute in in Europe but as it seems that En Masse is responsible for publishing TERA to the whole western community it appears that it's gonna be them too.

• J_HurryJ_Hurry Member UncommonPosts: 230

Originally posted by r3zs1ckn3ss

Honestly a majority of Asian made art as far as MMO's whether its dice rolled or net based, is very bland and uninspiring looking. Western art IMO is a very expressive art style that accents a character's personality. I agree that Aion is a bland looking game and because it is an asian marketed MMO, that is to be expected. TERA is a fruity looking game and I certainly hope it does better than Aion. Hopefully the world is more open meaning that you don't just transport from zone to zone.

Fixed.

LGM Alchemist (Legendary Grandmaster)