Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really want to see game succeed but..

Comments

• FraugnutzFraugnutz Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by CallsignVega

Originally posted by naraku209

Facts:

Asian games don't do to well in the west.

Western games don't do to well in the east.

Asian games don't do to well in the east.

Western games don't do to well in the west.

Games do well if there good.

Games don't do to well if they suck.

Just stating the obvious because people have a hard time understanding these simple facts.

These seem like opinions

Lol, I think he needs to look up what the word fact means.

Is the list incorrect then?  Are my "opinions" not in fact correct......If wrong then please point them out because I would love to read your spin on it.

For your list to be accepted as 'fact' you would have to clearly define what you mean by "do to well". As it is , the statement is fairly subjective and is therefore a reflection of your opinion. 

Also , wouldn't WoW be an example of a Western game doing quite well in the West...? And by 'quite well' I mean grotesquely profitable and hugely popular. 

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

I see nothing impressive about those screenshots posted. Granted, they aren't bad, but certainly nothing to write home about. Relatively simple textures on characters, mobs and terrain like the rocks and trees in the background. Nothing of high detail. Virtually nothing showing specular lighting, godrays, screen space ambient occlusion, parralax mapping or any advanced graphics for that matter. Remember, the game is based off of the Unreal 3 engine which has been powering tons of games since 2007. So how magicallly this over 3 year old graphics engine is making graphics so far above current and future MMROPG's is just fanboi'ism at it's best.

AoC is widely known to have among the best of current MMORPG graphics and from a technical standpoint look superior to anything that can be made with the Unreal 3 engine.

Example:

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

An Asian game is going to have to prove itself before I ever pre order another one.  Well come to think of it....I will never pre order another game ever.  We shall see how Tera pans out....

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I see nothing impressive about those screenshots posted. Granted, they aren't bad, but certainly nothing to write home about. Relatively simple textures on characters, mobs and terrain like the rocks and trees in the background. Nothing of high detail. Virtually nothing showing specular lighting, godrays, screen space ambient occlusion, parralax mapping or any advanced graphics for that matter. Remember, the game is based off of the Unreal 3 engine which has been powering tons of games since 2007. So how magicallly this over 3 year old graphics engine is making graphics so far above current and future MMROPG's is just fanboi'ism at it's best.

AoC is widely known to have among the best of current MMORPG graphics and from a technical standpoint look superior to anything that can be made with the Unreal 3 engine.

Example:

Dont know what you have been smoking but it must be some good.image

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

It's easy for a game divided in small zones, full of loading screens to have better graphics. Tera as far as I know is quite open.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

We shall see. Personally I wish the best for every game that is released because i know how much time and effort it takes to created an mmo. However, since its coming from the east I am gonna to have to wait and see before a personal opinion comes out of my mouth again.

I really don't see the weapons to be over the top design wise:  http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://tera-online.cc/gallery/renders/weapon/&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1

Let's take a look at this photo of a few Tera characters in a city:

A running player with a sword on his back that's so big it's dragging the ground and that also goes about three feet over his head. Not to mention the weapons get even larger as they are held and swung for combat.

Oh, and don't forget about that cuddly bear looking NPC that has an Axe on his back thats not one, not two, but three times the height of it's character!

Ya, no stupid overboard graphics here lol.

Age Of Conan never had great graphics to me. Small zones where you character had to walk down a single path with no freedom to go anywhere made it easy to make the game look descent at the time but it grew old fast. Very limited use of colors with nonthing on the screen moving at all which made everything look fake and killed any sense of immersion. No thanks

I really don't see the weapons to be over the top design wise:  http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://tera-online.cc/gallery/renders/weapon/&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1

A running player with a sword on his back that's so big it's dragging the ground and that also goes about three feet over his head. Not to mention the weapons get even larger as they are held and swung for combat.

Oh, and don't forget about that cuddly bear looking NPC that has an Axe on his back thats not one, not two, but three times the height of it's character!

It is an asian game that is there art style for gear. They have been doing this forever so I don't see how this is stupid

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Originally posted by Frostbite05

It is an asian game that is there art style for gear. They have been doing this forever so I don't see how this is stupid

That could be a factor as to why not many games from the east hit it big in the west? Just a thought.

You still dont get it. People have different opinons of things. You see it as over the top when we dont. As stated above, some people like this. Is it that hard to undertand? Should the axe shrink in size if the smaller characters wield it? Now to me that would look stupid.

&twu

Originally posted by Waldoe

That could be a factor as to why not many games from the east hit it big in the west? Just a thought.

Oh I completely agree that and the fact you have to spend hours just killing mobs to achieve anything.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Vega, if you really think the screenshot you posted is more impressive than the shots of Tera, you must be either very vision-impaired, insane, or lying for the sake of trolling.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

It could also be a factor why not may games from the west hit big in the east? Also just a thought.

When was the last time you played AoC? Do you know AoC has had a complete DX10 re-work that has virtually all advanced graphics techniques and things such as grass physics, godrays and blowing wind in trees etc? Also, the new expansion zones are quite massive. You can set the clip plane to 3500 meters. Yes, that's 3.5 kilometers, I've never seen an MMORPG that you could see so far in the distance.  

Now I am not hyping up AoC as I think some design elemts are stupid such as zoning, but just to prove a point that Tera's graphics are nothing special.

When was the last time you played AoC? Do you know AoC has had a complete DX10 re-work that has virtually all advanced graphics techniques and things such as grass physics, godrays and blowing wind in trees etc? Also, the new expansion zones are quite massive. You can set the clip plane to 3500 meters. Yes, that's 3.5 kilometers, I've never seen an MMORPG that you could see so far in the distance.  

Now I am not hyping up AoC as I think some design elemts are stupid such as zoning, but just to prove a point that Tera's graphics are nothing special.

Sorry but it did not. DX10 did not do anything for Age Of Conan. Lord Of The Rings looks much better and used DX10 much better.

I am no TERA hater or AoC promoter at all. I have to agree though. TERA looks great graphical, but there are things that look better for sure.

I am no TERA hater or AoC promoter at all. I have to agree though. TERA looks great graphical, but there are things that look better for sure.

Now there you go right there. An honest opinion.image

Well the sword of cloud was fairly big too but FFVII was quite a big hit in the west. There are a lot of peoples in the west who like that style. A lot of anime fans. I don't think that those weapons are the reason why some eastern mmo don't do well in the east. Is not so much the fault of the art style but more the gameplay and the typical grind.

Originally posted by Mannish

Now there you go right there. An honest opinion.image

Can't quite tell if you are serious lol

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

Vega, if you really think the screenshot you posted is more impressive than the shots of Tera, you must be either very vision-impaired, insane, or lying for the sake of trolling.

Or here's a thought; I actually know what I am talking about? I know what Unreal 3's engine is capable of and how it compares to current and future game engines. It was good back in 2007, but to say Tera has such awesome graphics is laughable.

Let's take a look at some advertised Tera screenshots and what makes them so good:

Oh, the hill in the back is green, thats good I guess? The repetative trees, always a plus. The low texture outfits, looks stellar! Atleast there is use of Bloom on the characters, thats about it. Ya, I must be blind on what makes Tera's graphics so awesome!

And:

Yawn terrain textures and sky, barren landscape. Although, i do like the shield effect that is pretty cool ;).

Dude, just give it up. You helping use prove our point. image

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

lol you are complaining about those graphics? 

look at WoW, look at SWTOR.  Look at ANY other MMO out there.  Geezus. 

Well I do like this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owUFt50UQbU

Aoc may have a better engine but imo it lacks art design. I can say that even some places in wow look better than AoC. 

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

TERA is going to be your typical Korean grinder. I hate Korean grinders. But I might still play TERA. Why? The Sorceress' animations make me want to play one. Seriously. I've seen the YouTube videos. This is not an ugly game and the Sorceress is...amazing.