Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really want to see game succeed but..

CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

I think it might have similar issues that Aion did. I don't think an MMORPG designed in Asia has ever done well in the West. Aion was just terrible. I do like that Tera will have PvP, but the graphics already seem dated and the WoW'ish cartoon style is so rediculously over-done. The largest problem for me is the silly art style. You see a melee character with a sword on his back. He equips the sword in his hands, and now the sword is 20 feet long and three times the size of the character. The Asian art style of a 70 pound tiny little warrior girl swinging around a 20-foot long 300 pound sword is completely retarded. I mean sure this is fantasy and you can exagerate some, but there has to be a limit somewhere before things become stupid. 

Comments

• EtheldredaEtheldreda Member UncommonPosts: 66

you forget that they dont just make games for the US market.

ur forgetting korea itself, china, and other asian countries.

Also that WoW-like cartoon stuff... if i see a MMO like that i avoid it like the plague. i prefer asian style character designs.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by CallsignVega

I think it might have similar issues that Aion did. I don't think an MMORPG designed in Asia has ever done well in the West. Aion was just terrible. I do like that Tera will have PvP, but the graphics already seem dated and the WoW'ish cartoon style is so rediculously over-done. The largest problem for me is the silly art style. You see a melee character with a sword on his back. He equips the sword in his hands, and now the sword is 20 feet long and three times the size of the character. The Asian art style of a 70 pound tiny little warrior girl swinging around a 20-foot long 300 pound sword is completely retarded. I mean sure this is fantasy and you can exagerate some, but there has to be a limit somewhere before things become stupid. 

It's more like a 5ft long sword.  And if you watch the video's you can see the char's struggle with them.  Very nice touch by the Dev's IMO.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Several Asian MMOs did pretty fine. Final fantasy XI and the original Lineage to mention 2.

Manga and Anime are billion dollar industry in the west so the style isn't the problem.

The problem as I see it is that usually do Asian games (not games from Japan however) force people to grind more than others (you know, do the same thing over and over). Western games are bad enough but particularly Korean games involve killing zillions of junk mobs.

Also the story of many eastern games are even more pathetic than the story of most western games.

If TERA can avoid those 2 issues it might become huge in the west. 

Besides, if we talk realism: Wow also have people swinging large swords and is far from real. I done my share of training with a real sword. Not even the most "realistic" MMO has any realism whatsoever in the combat system. Levels are dumber than too large swords, I could kill an unarmed experienced soldier and a untrained peasant as good with a sword, I don't have to stab the veteran for ages. Even the swings and other animations are way off (well, some of AoCs animations actually looks ok).

All MMOs are totally unreal. Not to mention how most armors look, like Wows chainmail bikinis or the armor from Guildwars. So realism is not a good argument.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Tera is hands down the best looking graphic wise of any mmo comming out. I dont see how you say its dated. LMAO

Also its not using a cartoonish art style like World Of Warcraft. Aion was just a shallow mmo plain and simple. I like Asian mmos and only lasted 2 weeks in Aion before I quit.

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

TERA i don't think will have the same troubles AION did, you said Asian designed MMO never did well in the west? 

if i recall, Lineage and Lineage II did pretty well for a while

Facts:

Asian games don't do to well in the west.

Western games don't do to well in the east.

Asian games don't do to well in the east.

Western games don't do to well in the west.

Games do well if there good.

Games don't do to well if they suck.

Just stating the obvious because people have a hard time understanding these simple facts.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by Mannish

Tera is hands down the best looking graphic wise of any mmo comming out. I dont see how you say its dated. LMAO

Also its not using a cartoonish art style like World Of Warcraft. Aion was just a shallow mmo plain and simple. I like Asian mmos and only lasted 2 weeks in Aion before I quit.

I've watched all of the HD movies in regard to Tera. I would put the graphical quality as mainstream at best. Everything is bright, virtually no use of shadows, no very detailed textures and no super far view distance. You do realize that Tera uses the generic Unreal 3 engine that has been out for years and has powered tons of games don't you?

Not only is it not the best looking of MMORPG's coming out, it's not even up to par graphics wise with a current game such as Age of Conan that has it's own highly detailed in house graphics.

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

Originally posted by stayontarget

Facts:

Just stating the obvious because people have a hard time understanding these simple facts.

These seem like opinions

• KruxKrux Member Posts: 274

... but the graphics already seem dated and the WoW'ish cartoon style is so rediculously over-done.

Wrong.  WoW has dated graphics, Tera does not.  When someone makes mention of Aion-quality or similarly Tera-quality graphics and tries to spin it as a reason to not consider the game, the point is clearly a falsified point to make an excuse that is just as unreasonably false.

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Guild Wars 2 and Final Fantasy 14 have clear cut better graphics, whichs leaves TERA falling into the third spot in front of Rift then TOR. In regards to some of the bigger MMOS coming out.

Just an opinion though. Lots agree lots don't.

• sa1yamansa1yaman Member Posts: 272

Facts:

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by naraku209

Facts:

These seem like opinions

Lol, I think he needs to look up what the word fact means.

Anybody saying that this game does not have the best graphics of any of the upcomming mmos are just haters that dont want to give the game the credit it deserves. I will give Guild Wars 2 the #2 spot because it does indead look good. No use of shadows?

Anybody saying that this game does not have the best graphics of any of the upcomming mmos are just haters that dont want to give the game the credit it deserves. I will give Guild Wars 2 the #2 spot because it does indead look good.

They look nice, but I still disagree with that. No worries Though.

I am no hater I have looked at high res screens and videos if applicable of every game coming out. It's just opinion anyway nothing to get bent out of shape about.

Originally posted by naraku209

Facts:

These seem like opinions

Lol, I think he needs to look up what the word fact means.

Is the list incorrect then?  Are my "opinions" not in fact correct......If wrong then please point them out because I would love to read your spin on it.

• Loreboy360Loreboy360 Member Posts: 9

You seem like a retarded player at first glance, due to the fact you observing or measuring the dimensions of the sword. The developers don't need to focus on that, and if you have seen the graphics they are in a different league from WoW end of. About turning into aion, they happened to make a company in the U.S.A called En masse entertainment where they will be making the game (by not changing it completely) suitable for the western market. Additionally the fact they keep pointing out, is that they will make it suitable for casual and hardcore players.

Originally posted by Waldoe

Anybody saying that this game does not have the best graphics of any of the upcomming mmos are just haters that dont want to give the game the credit it deserves. I will give Guild Wars 2 the #2 spot because it does indead look good.

I am no hater I have looked at high res screens and videos if applicable of every game coming out. It's just opinion anyway nothing to get bent out of shape about.

I understand that everyvbody has an opinon but I found it really funny that somebody thought the graphics were dated. LOL

I understand that everyvbody has an opinon but I found it really funny that somebody thought the graphics were dated. LOL

Oh no no don't associate me with that opinion haha. They are not dated at all they look pretty darn amazing. Just so happens I think they get edged out by 2 other games. I try and make an ubiased decision when it comes to graphics and not make it regarding if i like or would want to play that particular game.

Yeah lol, thats one of Tera's biggest features boasting the best graphics too date

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I think what you aren't understanding is that there are people who like the asian art style.

There are plenty of crowded anime festivals here in the states.

If you even look at Aion sales, they did extremely well. Aion failed to capture a huge audience because the game play wasn't as easy as other offerings.  I think a great amount of wow players thought they were going to get a wow leveling experience and were sadly dissapointed.

As far as "wow'ish" I don't see anything wow'ish in Tera's art design.

Also, the example you gave of a 70 pound girl swinging a 300 pound sword might seem out of place for you but for other's that can appreciate it, there is a sort of irony at work that some find amusing. I know I do.

There seems to be a sort of philosophy behind Asian art style (in these games) where items become far more than what they represent.

A sword becomes giant because it is the focal point of the warrior wielding it and represents far more than a piece of metal. The size of the characters doesn't matter because they are more than their physical selves and they can transcend the bounds of mundane physicality in order to achieve great heroic deeds.

There is a certain acknowledgement of concepts used in fable where the physical realm is only part of the equation and even animals can be more than what they seem.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Agreed

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

I hear they are already merging servers, thats not a good sign, and some of the really big guilds have already quit the game in protest over the art style of the game.

I dont see how the weapons are over the top either. Even in movies like Lord Of The Rings some of the warriors wielded very large weapons. A Great Sword and a Great Axe should be rather large. Thats just my opinion.

Originally posted by MMOrUS

I hear they are already merging servers, thats not a good sign, and some of the really big guilds have already quit the game in protest over the art style of the game.

Some of the stuff you all say just sound stupid. What people are going to join a game and like the game enough to form a guild and not even like how the game looks?