Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFIV Combat Question

seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

I've never really been a fan of the FF series for consoles and didn't play the first FF mmo (wanted to though just got in late) so I am curious about the combat system while grouped. 

In the console games I played you chose what you wanted to do from a list style menu.  Once you chose your ability the next person in your group chose, and so on and so on.  Then once the group attacked it was the mobs turn to do the same thing.  Rinse and repeat for combat.  It's turn based, I know. 

The question I have regarding combat in FFIV is will it be similar to the console style?  Will I choose what I want to do like in the video then have to wait for the next person in the group or will we all be choosing our abilities in the menus at the same time? 

Combat seems a bit slow to me but I think I will be able to get used to it but I'm not sure about having to wait for entire group to go.  For boss rights or raids I don't think it would be so bad but for every trash mob out there it seems like it would get old fast. 

I'm hoping I'm way off base and it is something different. 

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

Comments

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Anyone can attack whenever they feel like as long as they have enough stamina to use the skill they want. It is not turned based.

Mob or from the group.

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

Well, that doesn't seem to bad then.  I mean the combat is a bit slower than I'm accustomed to that's for sure but I can see myself getting used to it eventually when grouped. 

Thanks for the input.

FFXI and probably FFXIV are a bit more on the tactical side in regards to combat as opposed to some games being a little faster paced button/rotation spammers.

Both very enjoyable styles if the rest if the game fits imo.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    The combat system still seems to be evolving, and remember the game is just getting to the beta stage. I wouldn't expect a rotation key masher, but I think the finished system will be optimised enough for most players to get it, SE put lots of effort into their play testing. Remember while FF XIV has 2010 release suggested we are most likely talking the end of year, so I think it not necessary for players to be too critical here yet.
  • Leonidus0Leonidus0 Member Posts: 97

There are so many beta defenders in this thread that it's sickening. What you saw in the preview videos is most likely going to be present at release. There won't be a drastic change as that will just destroy the development process. If a company is going to release a game into beta for player testers, then the game's state is pretty much finalized. Yes, there will be some minor tweaks here and there. Just don't expect the battle system to be a new entity.

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

The online games are nothing like the console games and have hardly anything in common. Save for a few things (like Bahamut). You can attack whenever.

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

Originally posted by Leonidus0

There are so many beta defenders in this thread that it's sickening. What you saw in the preview videos is most likely going to be present at release. There won't be a drastic change as that will just destroy the development process. If a company is going to release a game into beta for player testers, then the game's state is pretty much finalized. Yes, there will be some minor tweaks here and there. Just don't expect the battle system to be a new entity.

I'm happy it's not going to be new. I just wanted it to be a little faster (which is what they've done). Not terribly fast but just enough so that it's not mind-numbing. I think it's part of what makes the first game what it is.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I hate the systems where global refresh is so short that any internet lag becomes a significant factor.  I want to focus on what attack to do next, not focus on hitting the next attack 86ms ahead of when the global refresh timer shows it is ready.  A good time between attacks should be long enough that a reasonably short internet latency is entirely ignorable.

I find your post rather amusing. If there are several rounds of closed and open beta, which there more than likely will be. There is plenty of time for changes and some could even be significant. Yes, beta means the game is that much closer to being ready for launch, but that does not mean they could not make a big change. No one said they will implement a new battle system or anything.

I think that they will increase how fast the stamina bar fills up even more thus speeding combat up even faster. This will please a lot of players on the fence and people already happy with the combat should not have much of an issue with the increase. SE listens to the fans/players. It might be hard to believe that now a days with recent games that flopped due to lack of pleasing the players and fixing problems.

• samoscratchsamoscratch Member Posts: 2

This post is even more hilarious now, considering a new battle system is being implemented in Beta

• Haven2035Haven2035 Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by jmsgalla
    Well, that doesn't seem to bad then.  I mean the combat is a bit slower than I'm accustomed to that's for sure but I can see myself getting used to it eventually when grouped. 
     Thanks for the input.

That's because FF games include tactics into their set up. If you're more accustomed to games like wow? then yeah it's going to be a change from going from mindlessly spamming a rotation to actually thinking about what ability you want to use next and WHY.

FFXI for instace was nearly an entirely group play sort of game so in that regard it's tactics and group mechanics *I* feel were light years beyond any other MMO I've ever seen. Most of my expereince in FFXI you had to be good, REALLY GOOD at playing your character and knowing where your job fit in to the group. If you didn't you probably weren't getting much of anywhere let alone leveling. Although this did tend to create a bit of an elitist atmosphere in the game of the like I have also never seen in any other MMO.

My opinion FFXI took tremendous skill to play and we did it without addons, without complex macros, and without 10 million buffs from a talent tree and every other member of the group. I'd expect to see the same from FFXIV.

My biggest hope is that theives are back and they again are the master pullers of the group. Never had more fun in any MMO than being a thief and feeling like my next step could be my last , looking for the next mob to drag half way across the zone to the group.

...WOW...

you really dont have a clue about how games are developed do you?

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by Haven2035

...WOW...

you really dont have a clue about how games are developed do you?

More precisely...

He has no clue about how Japanese games are developed (for the most part).

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • sephiroth112sephiroth112 Member UncommonPosts: 55

Thanks for the input.

That's because FF games include tactics into their set up. If you're more accustomed to games like wow? then yeah it's going to be a change from going from mindlessly spamming a rotation to actually thinking about what ability you want to use next and WHY.

FFXI for instace was nearly an entirely group play sort of game so in that regard it's tactics and group mechanics *I* feel were light years beyond any other MMO I've ever seen. Most of my expereince in FFXI you had to be good, REALLY GOOD at playing your character and knowing where your job fit in to the group. If you didn't you probably weren't getting much of anywhere let alone leveling. Although this did tend to create a bit of an elitist atmosphere in the game of the like I have also never seen in any other MMO.

My opinion FFXI took tremendous skill to play and we did it without addons, without complex macros, and without 10 million buffs from a talent tree and every other member of the group. I'd expect to see the same from FFXIV.

My biggest hope is that theives are back and they again are the master pullers of the group. Never had more fun in any MMO than being a thief and feeling like my next step could be my last , looking for the next mob to drag half way across the zone to the group.

so you love wait for hours for kill hnm, that only tactics is tank spank???

ffxi was unballance class system, always blm powned everything, if you are blm only cast magic without strategy, the economy sucks, kill 1000 000 times same mob each 5 minutes is not fun is ridiculous and you are better that wow, come on, i'm sure that you in WoW only have character lvl 10 and your fanatism close your eyes

or tell me when WoW release, 50% of people in ffxi leave for play wow???

why ffxi need to merge server when wow need create new server??

ffxi is fail game now

in ffxiv need correct the bad aspects of ffxi

So we're judging the game from 5 years ago now? Okay cool, let me try!

WoW was so shitty back in 2004, so many glitches and servers were so unstable I couldn't play. WoW needs to correct it's bad aspects in WoW2.

• BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141

Thanks for the input.

Hmm you do make it sound interesting thats for sure the only thing for me is slow combat but i will be checking it out for myself and will find out,

As far as elitist atmosphere thats sounds like my hardcore raiding guild you have to have a believe that we as a raid/ group can get it done there is nothing wrong with that it makes better players. :)

• BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by sephiroth112

Thanks for the input.

ffxi was unballance class system, always blm powned everything, if you are blm only cast magic without strategy, the economy sucks, kill 1000 000 times same mob each 5 minutes is not fun is ridiculous and you are better that wow, come on, i'm sure that you in WoW only have character lvl 10 and your fanatism close your eyes

ffxi is fail game now

Just how do you know it will be a fail game sir , lots of games have sever merges.

I also bet you just pulled that 50% number from the thin air.

Just because you had no fun in the game does not mean others do not some have very fond memories of it, myself i never played it and am going to check it out

Originally posted by Baleout

Just how do you know it will be a fail game sir , lots of games have sever merges.

I also bet you just pulled that 50% number from the thin air.

Just because you had no fun in the game does not mean others do not some have very fond memories of it, myself i never played it and am going to check it out

He's talking about FFXI in 2005, unsurprisingly.

At the same time we could have a discussion about early WoW in 2004-2005 and it's problems like they existed today. That will give us a fair view on the game right?

Originally posted by sephiroth112

Thanks for the input.

ffxi is fail game now

Going to ATTEMPT to respon to this even if I dont quite understand exactly what your broken english was trying to say...

Tactics in term of how you play your character yes. for instance Ninja tanks took an incredible amount of skill to play well. So that simple tank and spank was a lot more complicated that you think.

Black mages had no tactic? You just randomly cast spells and did damage huh?  Did you even ever play FFXI? Skill chains for instance?  BLM's had to know the skill chains and know what spell they could cast in time with them for that extra damage.  Some mobs reacted differently to different elements of magic as well, you wouldn't cast an ice spell on an ice based monster for instance when a fire one would do more damage.  You obviously have no clue.

"50%" of people in FFXI didn't just go to wow they also went to EQ2  and a handful off other games coming out at the time. Primarily because we were witnessing a large upgrade in MMOs at the time. The games simply offered more to players in terms of what they could do. It did in fact mean that FFXI at the time was an inferior game but simply due to options available. FFXI was at the time the outdated model, a time will soon come where WoW and other are outdated as well and their playerbases will leave in droves.

Killing 1000 000? the same mob every 5 minutes?  Is the same thing you do in every other MMO.  I will aggree FFXI had a problem, it's problem was it was ported to the PS2 and it severely limited their ability to add more models to the game.  But you're really only describing a problem apparent in ALL mmos.

I'm sure in WoW I have 3 80's geared thru ICC and 2 more that I use to farm. In my fanaticism I'm sure you're trying to imply I'm a fanboi.  I'm not, I play games based simply on their merit and how well I believe a company can make a decent game. SE is, despite it's mindless fanboi base can in fact make awesome games.  Which is why this game as well as a few others slotted to come out have peaked my interest.  WoW has outlived it's glory days it become stale and reptitive as every single MMO on the market does eventually.

WoW ALSO merges servers.

FFXI isn't a fail game it's just not a very populated one, as said before ALL MMO's have their peaks and then they decline.  Believe it or not WoW's peak happened about a year ago and is now on steady decline.

FFXIV WILL fix the shortcomings of FFXI. On the other hand if WoW were reincarnated I highly doubt Blizzard would seek to fix their own.  They currently have a hold on the market with a very SIMPLE game that they still think is too complex, so they are going to dumb the game down even more in Cataclysm, this will do nothing more than further hurt the game and drive more of their playerbase away.  Blizzard is worried about one thing, getting anyone and everyone to play so they get more subscriptions. they're not worried about your play expereince or if the game is challenging, in fact they work to make the game as easy as possible so even people who've never played a video game ever before can pickit up and win at WoW.

Maybe it's YOUR Fanaticism that blinds you sir.