Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent Ways To Make Gold?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

Please excuse the cliché thread title, I realise some people may be thinking "Oh God, not another one of these!".

I've been playing WoW for a couple of years now.  I've never particularly had a problem with making Gold, i.e. I've "survived" so to speak.  I've always had enough gold for the bare essentials such as enchants, gems, repairs, food etc but I've never been rich enough to splash out on luxuries such as special mounts (i.e. Traveller's Tundra Mammoth) and high level Epic BoEs etc.  My gold seems to stay at around the 5-6k mark constantly.  The highest amount of gold I've ever owned was 9.2k, so I've never passed the 10k mark.

Around a week ago I decided that it was time for me to start making some serious gold, having read threads where people claimed to have upwards of 100k etc.  The reason for this is so that I can start splashing out on ingame luxuries such as special mounts, BoEs etc etc.  I have just ONE character (I don't like having alts) & had Leatherworking & Engineering on him.  I decided to drop these professions and took up Mining & Herbalism instead.  My mining is now max and my Herbalism is around 3/4 the way there.

Just from levelling these 2 professions, I've surprisingly made a hell of a lot of gold (aorund 5-6k so far) which is great, althoughn I can't help but think I could be making FAR more gold if I really tried.  Now obviously having 2 gathering professions is a decent start to making gold, and I've no complaints, but I was thinknig about delving into the more professional type money making schemes, i.e. playing the Auction House etc.

The thing is, I've always been rather "intimidated" by this, as I've absolutely NO IDEA where to start and due to the sheer involvement of factors in playing the Auction House, I've strayed away from it.  Now I'm not saying that playing the AH is the ONLY way to make decent gold, but it seems to be rather popular.  Obviously if you guys know of any other way to make a hell of a lot of gold instead of playing the AH, that would be great to know aswell.  One of the reasons I've strayed away from playing the AH is that I feel no matter how hard I try, I won't be able to get the hang of it, as (from what I've read) it just seems so hard to get used to and to get it right.  I don't want to buy a hell of a load of things for cheap off the AH only to have them not sell once I relist them.  That and the fact that I really have absolutely no idea what to buy in the first place.  It also may be hard considering I only have 1 character, so I have no alts to disenchant things etc.

I'd really like to be part of the crowd of players who have upwards of 100k, but to be perfectly honest I'm unsure where to begin and which route to take... Play the AH, constantly farm Herbs/Minerals, do quests over & over, farm dungeons etc?  There's just so many ways, I'm not sure which would be best for what I'm trying to achieve.

I read the the addon "Auctioneer" is great for playing the AH, but having watched a few videos of it on Youtube, it seems so complex that I feel rather intimidated by it (not sure if that's the right word, but you know what I mean ^^).

Anyway, I won't go on for now, but hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction as I'm rather sick of constantly staying at the 5-6k mark.  Infact I'd even be happy if I managed to get around 50k, I don't HAVE to get over 100k although that would be nice.

Many many thanks in advance for any help I receive here :)

Comments

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by FuryV

I read the the addon "Auctioneer" is great for playing the AH, but having watched a few videos of it on Youtube, it seems so complex that I feel rather intimidated by it (not sure if that's the right word, but you know what I mean ^^).

[Mod Edit]

Anyway, it's quite simple.  Buy low, sell high.  Learn the average prices of the more commonly traded goods and trade around it.  Stacks of Wool, Leather, health potions, enchant materials, ores, bars, herbs, etc.  As a miner & herbalist you can focus on the materials which you gather.

I did not even use auctioneer except to help selling stacks. I also did not do Auction House trading too much as my server was low-med population.  On a high pop server, it is a goldmine.

Another cute tricks is around xpac time.  Guilds dump their stores of materials and underbid each other constantly.  This is where you stock up.  Once the xpac hits and runs for a month, you can start selling.  Endgame mats from pre-xpac are gathered much less but are still needed for professions.  Their price skyrockets.

Seriously, WoW's Auction House, while quite established, is very easy.  I play EvE Online, now THAT is a real market with real trading.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

Originally posted by Hydroblunt

You cannot be serious.

On second thought, you must be serious and that is why it is so easy to make gold in WoW by playing the Auction House.  If you find Auctioneer complicated, you lack the ability to properly use the Auction House and are one of the suckers.  The lack of IQ of current WoW players simply shocks me.

Anyway, it's quite simple.  Buy low, sell high.  Learn the average prices of the more commonly traded goods and trade around it.  Stacks of Wool, Leather, health potions, enchant materials, ores, bars, herbs, etc.  As a miner & herbalist you can focus on the materials which you gather.

I did not even use auctioneer except to help selling stacks. I also did not do Auction House trading too much as my server was low-med population.  On a high pop server, it is a goldmine.

Another cute tricks is around xpac time.  Guilds dump their stores of materials and underbid each other constantly.  This is where you stock up.  Once the xpac hits and runs for a month, you can start selling.  Endgame mats from pre-xpac are gathered much less but are still needed for professions.  Their price skyrockets.

Seriously, WoW's Auction House, while quite established, is very easy.  I play EvE Online, now THAT is a real market with real trading.

Why is it whenever I post a thread on a forum these days (infact not just me, MOST people) there's always somebody who has to put the poster down in some way or other.  Seriously, I'm curious as to why people feel the need to put others down for no reason.  It's almost as if I expected this to happen, infact I DID expect it.  Not because I made a "bad" thread, just from experience of seeing people on the receiving end of posts like yours.

I've never actually TRIED Auctioneer, I've just watched some videos on Youtube where people are using it and "IMO" it looks rather complicated to use.  For example -

In the video above (if you take the time to watch it), just look at all the features Auctioneer seems to have.  To anybody who hasn't used an Addon like that before, it's surely got to be rather frightening to use "at first".  It's not as if I could install it and straight away be like "YEAH THIS IS EASY TO USE, I UNDERSTAND IT 100%".

Making fun of my IQ when you know nothing about me is rather petty to be honest;  I didn't flame you so why you feel the need to flame me just because I'm finding it hard to understand a World of Warcraft addon, is beyond me, but then again you'll probably say "I'm not surprised it's beyond you, given the stupidity of what you've said so far".

Whilst my thread isn't reminiscent of Stephen Hawking's best work,  it's not as if I came here saying "ME NEED CASH FOR MOUNT, HALP", so how you can sit there and make fun of my IQ, I don't know.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

First off, ignore the youtube videos on how to make gold using auctioneer (for now)

second, go download auctioneer and learn to use it.  Auctioneer actually simplifies the auction house, allowing you to  set prices on stacks that you specify yourself.  So if you have a bag full of runecloth and only want to sell it 5 pieces per stack, auctioneer lets you do this in the interface without the need for seperating manually and does it very quickly.

you can also scan the auction house  (which you should do regularly with it) and it stores what it sees each time you scan.  In turn, the addon will tell you how much the average price for each item your trying to sell is selling for.

anyway, thats just a couple basics of it really.  You'll learn how to use it over time and then maybe revisit that youtube video. 

As far as making gold, do you dailies..as many as you can whenever you can.

As far as professions go, you can do two things:

1. make your toon a gatherer only,  Mining and herbalism are two good money making professions.

2. My favorite, make your toon an alchemist / jewel crafter.  Master your alchemy in transmutations to transmute gems that you can in-turn cut and sell on the AH.   You can also purchase uncut epic gems with honor and cut those  Offer your services in trade for cutting epic gems and you'll be surprised how quickly you can get gold in tips this way.

theres a million tips on making gold, get to know auctioneer first then do a little more research afer you get a better feel for it and what types of items sell good on your server

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

Thank you very much ^^

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

This is how I play, I've never asked anyone, and I'm not rich, just self sufficient.  Even if I create a new character on a new server I can easily get by :

1) Take two harvest skills only.  Mining and skinning or herbalism and skinning.  One must be skinning because you can only have one tracker going at any time,  and sell the materials on the auction.  Everyone else a crafter and need the materials.

2) Crafting seems to yield nothing, as everyone is crafting and most craftibles sell for nothing.  Add to the fact that you really have to keep up with your crafting skill to even keep pace with your own characters level.  To me time vs. effort is not worth it. I may be wrong at higher levels, but it's too much work, takes too much time because I'm first and fore most an adventurer.

3) Don't spend your money on stupid stuff....I get all my weapons and armor from playing dungeons. I could keep myself in Blue all the way to 80. To be honest, the only thing I need money for are mounts, and armor and weapons that I just cant seem to find in dungeons, like that chest piece that I just can't seem to up grade.  Anything I do buy from the auction are usually cheap because of the competition.

I often play Alliance, but for some reason when I do play horde, I make thousands by harvesting.  Sure the market is more inflated on the auction, but fixed necessities from NPC's remain the same, such as mounts. So your better off on a server that has inflated prices.

I also think most people are bull @$%&;'ers. I have a good friend that I play with. We meet at work, and he tells me that he makes a lot of money by selling pets, and he makes his wife harvest when he is away.  Yet he also tells me that he spends hundreds of real life $$ from the gold farmers. What is he buying ?.......I don't know.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

One small thing that has been missed out and that is the easy money from dailies and quests. Just running my shadow priest through all the chains in stormpeaks at L80 yielded somewhere in the region of 2.5k+ (may be a lot more as spending during that as well) and this can be incorporated into your gathering to stem the boredom. Most of the chains are pretty quick at L80 with half decent gear.

You have quest cash rewards, Quest reward items to sell, money from MOB's, and of course random rare drops with various rewards. This means that a single quest can yield anything from 15-?g for less than a few minutes work in some cases.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by Hydroblunt

You cannot be serious.

On second thought, you must be serious and that is why it is so easy to make gold in WoW by playing the Auction House.  If you find Auctioneer complicated, you lack the ability to properly use the Auction House and are one of the suckers.  The lack of IQ of current WoW players simply shocks me.

Why is it whenever I post a thread on a forum these days (infact not just me, MOST people) there's always somebody who has to put the poster down in some way or other.  Seriously, I'm curious as to why people feel the need to put others down for no reason.  It's almost as if I expected this to happen, infact I DID expect it.  Not because I made a "bad" thread, just from experience of seeing people on the receiving end of posts like yours.

I've never actually TRIED Auctioneer, I've just watched some videos on Youtube where people are using it and "IMO" it looks rather complicated to use.  For example -

In the video above (if you take the time to watch it), just look at all the features Auctioneer seems to have.  To anybody who hasn't used an Addon like that before, it's surely got to be rather frightening to use "at first".  It's not as if I could install it and straight away be like "YEAH THIS IS EASY TO USE, I UNDERSTAND IT 100%".

Making fun of my IQ when you know nothing about me is rather petty to be honest;  I didn't flame you so why you feel the need to flame me just because I'm finding it hard to understand a World of Warcraft addon, is beyond me, but then again you'll probably say "I'm not surprised it's beyond you, given the stupidity of what you've said so far".

Whilst my thread isn't reminiscent of Stephen Hawking's best work,  it's not as if I came here saying "ME NEED CASH FOR MOUNT, HALP", so how you can sit there and make fun of my IQ, I don't know.

I make fun of you because of what you said and fail to do.  Sorry if it hurts you feeling so much that you needed a hankerchief.  Either way, I gave you basic advice on which to start on, stuff that is common sense to some.  Take it or leave it.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online