Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is fine (subscriber wise)

2»

Comments

• JanetsyJanetsy Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by frostsmith

They count every gold farmer and spammer.

This....

11.5 mill subs sounds great, they just negelct to mention that 6 mill of those subs are Chinese gold farmers. Another 2 million are bots, or alts.

The number of people actually playing WoW.... A lot less than 11.5 mill.

Hey they still have the best population of any MMO, so kudos to them... I just know I'll never be one of those subs.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Li-Su

Originally posted by Ceridith

It's not growing, it's peaked.

They've claimed 11.5 million for some time now, and the reason they have increased profit is the additional services and RMT they added via the pet store.    Proof?

There are people leaving, but there are also a few newer so how many left and how many new comers? players trickling in at about the same rate. From now until the release of Cata however, these will be a gradual decline of players due to boredom, because quite honestly, Wrath is getting pretty stale and there's barely any additional content left before the next expansion.  New content already in PTR 

WoW's not going anywhere anytime soon, but it starting to hit the period in it's life cycle where it doesn't have much of anymore market segment to grow in...  when will that happen, if you do not provide a date you cannot be wrong That's why they've been adding more and more RMT lately, and expect even more to come.

I have heard enough of these empty predictions since I was borned.  I can give you a much more accurate and precise prediction.  Here goes.

WoW has peaked, or near peak.  It maximum sub base is capped by the population of the mother earth and enough people die everyday to halt wow's growth.  WoW will definitely die when a comet hit mother earth smashing it into 200+ pieces.

See? I am more specific than you are, at least.

I tried to stay vague because I don't have the hard numbers of who's leaving and who's staying. I'm applying product life cycle theory to estimate WoW's position within it's own lifecycle, based on the trend in reported subscribers over time and the 'added value' features that have been added to the game.

Then again, who am I to think that the die hard fan boys will do anything other than stick their fingers in their ears and scream bloody murder at anyone who has anything remotely negative to say about their new god.

• Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by Ceridith

It's not growing, it's peaked.

They've claimed 11.5 million for some time now, and the reason they have increased profit is the additional services and RMT they added via the pet store.    Proof?

There are people leaving, but there are also a few newer so how many left and how many new comers? players trickling in at about the same rate. From now until the release of Cata however, these will be a gradual decline of players due to boredom, because quite honestly, Wrath is getting pretty stale and there's barely any additional content left before the next expansion.  New content already in PTR 

WoW's not going anywhere anytime soon, but it starting to hit the period in it's life cycle where it doesn't have much of anymore market segment to grow in...  when will that happen, if you do not provide a date you cannot be wrong That's why they've been adding more and more RMT lately, and expect even more to come.

I have heard enough of these empty predictions since I was borned.  I can give you a much more accurate and precise prediction.  Here goes.

WoW has peaked, or near peak.  It maximum sub base is capped by the population of the mother earth and enough people die everyday to halt wow's growth.  WoW will definitely die when a comet hit mother earth smashing it into 200+ pieces.

See? I am more specific than you are, at least.

I tried to stay vague because I don't have the hard numbers of who's leaving and who's staying. I'm applying product life cycle theory to estimate WoW's position within it's own lifecycle, based on the trend in reported subscribers over time and the 'added value' features that have been added to the game.

Then again, who am I to think that the die hard fan boys will do anything other than stick their fingers in their ears and scream bloody murder at anyone who has anything remotely negative to say about their new god.

First, you know I am a die-hard?  You know as a fact that I still log onto WoW, or got time to log on?

Second, your product lifecycle theory, pls be more specific.  Different kinds of products have different forms of life cycles,  Bringing up a vague theory and trying to be vague does not contribute to discussion b/c anyone can interpret your vague words in his own manner.  You sound like the door to door mormon preacher.

Finally, life cycle means cycle.  It could be a long cyclical up and downs.  The general trend could be going up for a long time, and for all that matters I will only be playing games for no more than another 10-20 years.  If Wow stays good for that much longer, IF, IF, IF, then for me, WoW is eternal.  If you tell me that WoW will cease to be top dogs 20 years down the road, I trust you, but then, its meaningless to me.  You can also tell me that the tree outside my house will fall down 100 years later.  Does it matter?

Now, I never predict WoW will last that long, nor do I claim I play WoW now.  So do not try to use that dirty trick of personal attacks to divert attention.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

We do not just settle for endless choice, we want candidates worthy of consideration.  Give me a few good games, and I am more than happy, as I have only a couple hours a day max for gaming, and not everyday.

'Worthy' is a very subjective concept, a matter of personal taste: some find it still exciting to do raids night after night, others are varying games to keep it fun for them.

Personally, I like to play GW, AoC, LotrO and WoW from time to time switching between them, but not play day in day out.

I think that the guild or community that you're part of is the biggest deciding factor for someone to stay around in a game he/she has played up to end level. If the community sucks you'll still play if it is entertaining enough, but if you're in a great guild or community with friends, they can make you stay and enjoy the game even if the game itself has grown bland, not what it used to be.

But about the games next year, tastes differ but I'd think there's enough that could be very entertaining: of course there'll be CATA, but there's also GW2, TERA, SW TOR, TSW, Rift, Vindictus among others. Probably not all will be a success, but it's a strong line up for a wide range of tastes. Of course, we'll only know for sure next year how it'll be.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Originally posted by Azzkicka

And the rest of us are sick of people like you who are obsessed with WoW and have to start useless threads about the game every day.

Reading MMO forums are so painfull now....

Agree!

• Originally posted by cyphers

We do not just settle for endless choice, we want candidates worthy of consideration.  Give me a few good games, and I am more than happy, as I have only a couple hours a day max for gaming, and not everyday.

'Worthy' is a very subjective concept, a matter of personal taste: some find it still exciting to do raids night after night, others are varying games to keep it fun for them.

Personally, I like to play GW, AoC, LotrO and WoW from time to time switching between them, but not play day in day out.

I think that the guild or community that you're part of is the biggest deciding factor for someone to stay around in a game he/she has played up to end level. If the community sucks you'll still play if it is entertaining enough, but if you're in a great guild or community with friends, they can make you stay and enjoy the game even if the game itself has grown bland, not what it used to be.

But about the games next year, tastes differ but I'd think there's enough that could be very entertaining: of course there'll be CATA, but there's also GW2, TERA, SW TOR, TSW, Rift, Vindictus among others. Probably not all will be a success, but it's a strong line up for a wide range of tastes. Of course, we'll only know for sure next year how it'll be.

This is a very clear and specific response, and lots of ideas I can echo or respond to.

Yes, it is subjective,  I am trying to find hints of a good game elsewhere or new ways of looking at some existing games, when I read and discuss here. I hate raiding every night, for one.

I know the method, switching games, maintaining 2-4 concurrent subs and a few good single player game, plus social life.  Yes I do that myself.

Guilds and friendlist make or break a game, I can safely ignore most of the rascals, and interact politely to normal people, if I have a few good friends to talk to or play with.  I do not want to be a loner in an online game.  One of the good things about WoW is the huge community.  You can always find enough active and nice people to stay in touch.

Really, I want to try new games next year, Cata, meh, I hope I can drop WoW from my list of concurrent sub eventually.  Not that WoW is bad, but can I have a few candidates better than WoW?