Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you not like about GW2?

Comments

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

There is so much to like, I do think though that using language like 'bury other games' is hyping it too much, don't forget theres no sub so dipping in and out alongside a sub based game is going to be easier :)

But if we are being nit picky.....

I'm worried about character models, they don't look much better than GW and I'm not particularly fond of the Sylvari and I'm only going to play an Asura if I can make it look totally evil, if there's any remnant of 'cute' I won't be playing one.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

What don't I like about GW2? Easy. That it is based on the first Guild Wars. I didn't like that game at all(far too much instancing, community seemed non existant and combat bored me).

BUT...

This second installment sounds and looks ten times better than the first one and probably is only similar in Lore and Name(I'm hoping). So I won't knock it till I try it.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

So far, from what I've heard and read, I like it.  Instance pvp/level playing field is a plus for me.  If I want to indulge in bit of sparring, I can.  If not, then I don't have to worry about it.  The ability to solo to max level is also pretty nice.  Sometimes I don't want to have to deal with putting together a team/replacing members that leave/afk's.  This may be a negative to people that like to group, though.  I think the lore sounds good and that they intend on letting you be a part of the story.  So far, so good in my book.

To the person that was worried about the level gaps with friends.  Apparently, they are instituting a "sidekick" system ala CoH. So, you can still team.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Also i think some dynamic events that would flag you for PvP on either of the 2 or more sides would have been cool... but not to many of these, just a few, and not in all scenes of the event but only in a certain scene... it would give players even more the feeling that they can actually chage things in this world... Now they only have the option to participate in an event or not... but they cam mever join the other side....  

Well I'm still hoping against hope that we'll have some events in the Mists.. IMO that was one of the biggest missed opportunities in WAR. Open RvR there would have been so much better there if there were a few contestable PQs in the RvR lakes...

Strange...

This is exactly what i don't want to see... WvW is what it is.... WvW, 3 worlds each with their own goals. 

I bet there are main goals and mini goals in WvW.. but these will bring the PvP to another level way above the mindlessly killing in many other MMO's

Hmm.. I don't see how events conflict with this in any way.

A resource cart taking wood from the logging mill to the keep is an event of sorts isn't it? (That's an actual example from an interview). Bashing down a keep gate would be much more interesting if there was some event mechanic involved, like summoning a npc monster to help break the gate or somesuch. Maybe to summon the monster you need to activate an altar deep in the enemy territory.. things like that. It would definitely be more interesting than the "do X damage to door" thing.

There could be lots of interesting PvP events strewn about that would really bring the whole PvP thing to another level - more than "kill players, hold points" /yawn...

Another example - event that would cause a bridge to be build.. or be destroyed. Something that is more than "do X damage to bridge." Maybe you could do it by opening a nearby dam guarded by enemy NPCs and perhaps players?

Anyway from my experience I find PvP much more enjoyable if there are various tasks and events involved, even with npcs.. WAR's PvP endgame is finally starting to look good since they introduced monster NPCs into the mix - it is a rush to follow your champion around trying to heal him and fighting off the other faction. It really breaks the tedium of "kill red" which is all fine and dandy in competetive PvP but imo world PvP needs (and tolerates) more chaos in the whole design. IMO the best FPS ever was Enemy Territory where you performed various tasks while the other side tried to stop you from doing it. Killing the other guy was never a goal in itself - you killed him because he was in the way of your performing the goal! Lots of fun I tell you. :) Anyway, it is much more interesting than "deathmach" and "king of the hill" which is sadly what mmos still hold on to, even in world PvP.

And besides, if you have those events that have to be performed strewn about the place it might help with the usual zerging problem. I.E. an event that has to be performed to weaken the said keep gate might require players to be at three spots at the same time. IMO if they already have the event system in place they should use it to spice up the goals and make the PvP situations more varied, especially in WvW. Again, competetive PvP should remain "clean" but there is no reason not to make WvW more... juicy. :)

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I could be wrong, but wasn't that what was stated in interviews, that there would be all kinds of events and missions of which players could take part of in the Mists?

I didn't get the impressions by the comments made in interviews that the dynamic events system would be skipped for the Mists, it sounded more like it would be enabled for all kinds of smaller goals that you could help out with yourself or with a few, and larger goals that would further the cause of your world.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by cyphers

I could be wrong, but wasn't that what was stated in interviews, that there would be all kinds of events and missions of which players could take part of in the Mists?

I didn't get the impressions by the comments made in interviews that the dynamic events system would be skipped for the Mists, it sounded more like it would be enabled for all kinds of smaller goals that you could help out with yourself or with a few, and larger goals that would further the cause of your world.

What they've described so far aren't really events though. They're not scripted with a specific goal, they're merely methods to aid your faction. What they've described don't react to your actions, for example protecting a caravan with supplies and weapons which can help to upgrade your defenses but thats it. They don't trigger trolls to attack your base or any of that sort of thing, it's simply resource gathering to improve equipment. The point is everything is up to the the strategy of the team and most of it is not scripted.

The best description is a comparison with a RTS and the event system. In the event system if you complete an objective it triggers another objective to occur or something to occur in that map. In an RTS completing an objective say for example gathering some resource doesn't trigger anything it mere allows you to spend that resource to improve your buildings/army. 

Everything you do is reactive to your enemy according to what your strategy to defeat that enemy is. it's compleetly free flow not scripted thats the difference between WvW and the event system or my interpretation of what WvW is. 

Basically the event system is a boss battle and the event system is an RTS, they both have objectives but one is genrally more free flow than the other.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

I don't like that the game is not out yet, and therefore there is no way to know whether I don't like it or not.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Theres nothing that I specifically dislike that would be a gamebreaker for me, but some things I am somewhat not happy with are:

1) Skill trainers -  I hated them in GW1 and they return in GW2 In GW1 they give you tons of skills and then you just run to them all and pick them up.  This gave way to players creating a taxi service which really killed the "progression" however little it took to progress in the original guild wars.

2) Map caps, and instanced maps.  This isn't a gamebreaker, its all for performance, I know,  but like CO its been said that there will be a cap on the amount of players allowed in an area ::not just server caps::  which doesn't bother me too much depending on the cap size.  100 is understandable,  300 even better.  We'll have to wait and see, but it is a slight concern of mine.

3) No new classes released so far.  Again, not a deal breaker, but I would like to see some kind of class progression, especially if they decide not to allow true cross classing.

4) Less skills allowed at a single time.  I know that they've split these skills up now to where you have to have some skills, but this decreases the new, fun skills you get to have selected at any time.

Although these things have been mentioned so far, theres still a long ways before the game releases, and these may be subject to change, but if they don't.... it won't stop me or many, from buying the game.

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

This is of course based on what I have seen so far, but...

I have to agree that the character models I have seen so far are not that impressive at all. The humans look like department store mannequins or stock 3d art. Like someone else mentioned...they look like plastic. Some of the character pics I have seen for Rift: Planes of Telara look WAY better than the GW2 models I have seen.

Since it hasn't been released, what they have shown may not be the final artwork. I am really hoping that particular aspect of the game improves before release.

Marcus

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Theres nothing that I specifically dislike that would be a gamebreaker for me, but some things I am somewhat not happy with are:

2) Map caps, and instanced maps.  This isn't a gamebreaker, its all for performance, I know,  but like CO its been said that there will be a cap on the amount of players allowed in an area ::not just server caps::  which doesn't bother me too much depending on the cap size.  100 is understandable,  300 even better.  We'll have to wait and see, but it is a slight concern of mine.

They've already said that the cap will be designed to be very high so that it would be unlikely for it to be reached so I only really expect it to be reached at launch and maybe very popular festivals.

• NoEndInLifeNoEndInLife Member Posts: 189

Originally posted by CcDohl

I don't like all of the races.

I say they drop the elves and mutated gnomes and come up with something along the same lines as the shapeshifters and big bear monsters.

At least put dwarves in to counterbalance the elves.

Hey dude, there are no elves in the game and there are no gnomes.

And i know you are referring to the sylvari and asura. To remove those two races basically means to start everything over. They already created or at least have an overall idea of those race's lore.

As for adding new races, I extremely doubt that cause as i said they are too far in already.

Besides, no one will force you to get a sylvari or asura. Get a norn or something. It seems like you think shapeshifting into bears is awesome so go for it.

"Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet." -Bob Marley

I'm probably one of those people who just get wet.

Originally posted by Warband

They've already said that the cap will be designed to be very high so that it would be unlikely for it to be reached so I only really expect it to be reached at launch and maybe very popular festivals.

You are right sir!  I do remember that,  I was just saying, map capping is an item for concern to me, but under no circumstances is it a deal breaker.  Even at a low 100 player cap it wouldn't bother me *that* much, but as they said the cap would be set high that bodes well.  That there is a cap was my only issue.

In the same avenue though, a map cap could end up being a good thing for GW2.  If I can change maps and the world will be different in another map, then perhaps it will add to the enjoyment of the game rather than detract.  Its one of those things you just have to play to know for sure.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Armor and character graphics. To asian.

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

(mod edit)

Again, thanks for making this an interesting read - does anyone have anything they dislike aside from nitpicky things? I see the player cap in an area as being a little bit major depending on how they implement it - or perhaps we could change the direction of the thread into "What out of the things you like, do you find yourself questioning if it will be more flavor than mechanic - or what out of the things you like, are worried with be implemented poorly".

Thanks people, keep it up.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Originally posted by nyxium

I've read that the Faction races won't be at war with each other and getting along. The game is nice and will be my main MMO *if* they stick to the proposed business model and not stick a sub or ingame CShop in there. But I would have liked it if the factions weren't all allies, with some teaming up against others. But meh, no complaints otherwise.

Even though it has yet to be announced I can almost 100% guarantee that there will definitely be a cash shop.  GW1 had one as well.  They have to have some revenue besides box sales.  Nothing in the GW1 cash shop was game breaking at all.  Although I guess you could argue pvp skill/equipment unlocks saved you some time, but w/e.

Steam: Neph

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Nephaerius

Originally posted by nyxium
    I've read that the Faction races won't be at war with each other and getting along. The game is nice and will be my main MMO *if* they stick to the proposed business model and not stick a sub or ingame CShop in there. But I would have liked it if the factions weren't all allies, with some teaming up against others. But meh, no complaints otherwise.

Even though it has yet to be announced I can almost 100% guarantee that there will definitely be a cash shop.  GW1 had one as well.  They have to have some revenue besides box sales.  Nothing in the GW1 cash shop was game breaking at all.  Although I guess you could argue pvp skill/equipment unlocks saved you some time, but w/e.

Yeah the current cash shop has:

• extra character slots - if you own all chapters you had plenty anyway, but more mules always useful, espicially if your an armour whore like me :D
    • some nice fluff costumes - social, worn on top of armour
    • some extra inventory - this is pure convenience, the game gives enough to easily cope
    • name change
    • make over packs
    • unlock all pets - Doesn't include the 'prestige' pets and all pets can be captured pretty easily in game
    • Skill unlock - again all easily done in the game if you just play it
    • PvP Item unlock - yet again all easily obtainable with a bit of effort
    • Bonus mission pack - small group of missions, initially released as a bonus for pre order (my memory is sketchy on that one?), proved popular so it ended up being for sale after

Nothing that will give you any edge except for time.

If they continue with that kind of shop I'll have nothing to complain about, I'm hoping they are confident enough that box sales will provide enough to not change the model too much. They did add a major content patch shortly after the original launch of GW for free, as GW2 is going to be much larger, I don't see that happening this time. Further chapters like the last game should provide enough peaks of business. They got more than they anticipated with GW, with the current buzz and info it looks like those initial box sales for GW2 will be good.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by Venomzer0

Originally posted by brokenss

Isn't it a bit too early to tell? I mean have you actually played the game?

What I dislike the most (only thing perhaps) about GW2 is people like you, asking these silly questions, but I guess thats nothing to do with the game itself....

Personally, the only thing i'm worried about is the higher level cap, they kinda skirted the subject in the interview, saying "people aren't sick of levels, they are sick of doing boring things to level"

When infact the main problem with levels is being seperated from your friends.  I love the low level cap in GW1 as I can play with my veteran friends in no time. (pvp focused games can't have too much ramp-up time imo)

I do trust that there will be enough interesting content to make me not even notice the levelling process (GW1 was one of the few games that actually pulled me into its story and had me questing to find out more, not to grind that little green bar)

1st, dont mind his obvious troll post, he apparently didnt even read the OP which said this was about the things we DO know about, not made up theories.

2nd, they will have a sort of scaling / sidekick system in place specifically to counter your fear. They have state dthey dont want that gap / divide to occur, and will ghave systems in place to basically allow you to play with whoever you want regardless of level gap.

Also i think some dynamic events that would flag you for PvP on either of the 2 or more sides would have been cool... but not to many of these, just a few, and not in all scenes of the event but only in a certain scene... it would give players even more the feeling that they can actually chage things in this world... Now they only have the option to participate in an event or not... but they cam mever join the other side....  

Well I'm still hoping against hope that we'll have some events in the Mists.. IMO that was one of the biggest missed opportunities in WAR. Open RvR there would have been so much better there if there were a few contestable PQs in the RvR lakes...

Strange...

This is exactly what i don't want to see... WvW is what it is.... WvW, 3 worlds each with their own goals. 

I bet there are main goals and mini goals in WvW.. but these will bring the PvP to another level way above the mindlessly killing in many other MMO's

Hmm.. I don't see how events conflict with this in any way.

A resource cart taking wood from the logging mill to the keep is an event of sorts isn't it? (That's an actual example from an interview). Bashing down a keep gate would be much more interesting if there was some event mechanic involved, like summoning a npc monster to help break the gate or somesuch. Maybe to summon the monster you need to activate an altar deep in the enemy territory.. things like that. It would definitely be more interesting than the "do X damage to door" thing.

There could be lots of interesting PvP events strewn about that would really bring the whole PvP thing to another level - more than "kill players, hold points" /yawn...

Another example - event that would cause a bridge to be build.. or be destroyed. Something that is more than "do X damage to bridge." Maybe you could do it by opening a nearby dam guarded by enemy NPCs and perhaps players?

Anyway from my experience I find PvP much more enjoyable if there are various tasks and events involved, even with npcs.. WAR's PvP endgame is finally starting to look good since they introduced monster NPCs into the mix - it is a rush to follow your champion around trying to heal him and fighting off the other faction. It really breaks the tedium of "kill red" which is all fine and dandy in competetive PvP but imo world PvP needs (and tolerates) more chaos in the whole design. IMO the best FPS ever was Enemy Territory where you performed various tasks while the other side tried to stop you from doing it. Killing the other guy was never a goal in itself - you killed him because he was in the way of your performing the goal! Lots of fun I tell you. :) Anyway, it is much more interesting than "deathmach" and "king of the hill" which is sadly what mmos still hold on to, even in world PvP.

And besides, if you have those events that have to be performed strewn about the place it might help with the usual zerging problem. I.E. an event that has to be performed to weaken the said keep gate might require players to be at three spots at the same time. IMO if they already have the event system in place they should use it to spice up the goals and make the PvP situations more varied, especially in WvW. Again, competetive PvP should remain "clean" but there is no reason not to make WvW more... juicy. :)

I agree some dynamic event type stuff in WvW would be nice, but they havent stated 1 way or the other. Basically all we know is it will be server vs server, with objectives & resources for us to fight over. No info yet really about how any of those objectives will work or if they will be static or dynamic. It could very well be that they are working on putting in thing ssimilar to what youre talking about. Just wait for them to finally give an interview about PvP / The Mists and im sure we will be pleasantly surprised

4) Less skills allowed at a single time.  I know that they've split these skills up now to where you have to have some skills, but this decreases the new, fun skills you get to have selected at any time.

Horrible misconception about this new system. 1st off, GW1 was limited to 8 skills, GW2 will be 10.... basic math says thats more, not less. There will be several major differences too:

- As you mentioned, some slots restricted to specific skill types (such as heal), but 5 will be freely interchangeable. So youve got 5 main skills, as well as other slots which in all reality would have been taken up by similar types/classe sof skills in GW1 anyway. Theyre just kind of giving us a better template to work with, and also making balancing a bit easier by giving us that template and knowing that we will all basically have around the same number of X type of skill when you consider the following:

- skills will change with use of different weapons and environmental weapons (such as Elementalist using a boulder and being given skills like throwing the boulder into the air and raining it down in pieces on the enemy like a meteor shower).... not to mention omg environmental weapons! :-)

-Unlike GW1, where you had to return to town and leave the instance to change skills, in GW2 you can swap out all of your skills and traits at anytime (so long as your out of combat). This means you wont be limited to a preset 8 skills, you can change them as needed making you more flexible and overall allowing use of many more skills and changing you build / spec on the fly.

- Interaction between player's skills, such a sthe examples they used of an Ele. casting a static field spell, and warrior shooting a bullet through the field towards enemies, resulting in an electrically charged bullet. And an Ele. casting a flame wall type spell, and a warrior using certain axe skills (either sweeping or spinning, forget which they mentioned) and causing flames to shoot forth from the warrior.

Considering all of the above, as well as the fact that there could also be more than what i listed in the future, it is not limiting anything compared to GW1, it is removing most of the limits GW1 had and adding so many more possibilities and more flexibility.

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

Originally posted by kzaske

So far there are a few things I am nervious about.  But really dislike?  Only one thing.  I am not playing it yet!  LOL.

I'm going to have to go with this.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by KillHurt

Originally posted by kzaske

So far there are a few things I am nervious about.  But really dislike?  Only one thing.  I am not playing it yet!  LOL.

I'm going to have to go with this.

Same here.

Some things give me a bit of a pause but I won't pass judgement since there is a lot of information still to be given.

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

Originally posted by kaiser328

1st, dont mind his obvious troll post, he apparently didnt even read the OP which said this was about the things we DO know about, not made up theories.

2nd, they will have a sort of scaling / sidekick system in place specifically to counter your fear. They have state dthey dont want that gap / divide to occur, and will ghave systems in place to basically allow you to play with whoever you want regardless of level gap.

Oh, I didn't see that, well, then I feel a lot better now :p Thanks.

About lack of skill choice, it's the opposite really, you get 5 skills from your weapon (I'd imagine this is quite a range of skills) 3 class skills of your choice, 1 elite skill (choice) and 1 healing skill (most people had one in GW1 too)

And changing weapons out of combat makes it more dynamic (I'd imagine you can't change weapons in pvp, but don't quote me on that)

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Horrible misconception about this new system. 1st off, GW1 was limited to 8 skills, GW2 will be 10.... basic math says thats more, not less. There will be several major differences too:

- As you mentioned, some slots restricted to specific skill types (such as heal), but 5 will be freely interchangeable. So youve got 5 main skills, as well as other slots which in all reality would have been taken up by similar types/classe sof skills in GW1 anyway. Theyre just kind of giving us a better template to work with, and also making balancing a bit easier by giving us that template and knowing that we will all basically have around the same number of X type of skill when you consider the following:

- skills will change with use of different weapons and environmental weapons (such as Elementalist using a boulder and being given skills like throwing the boulder into the air and raining it down in pieces on the enemy like a meteor shower).... not to mention omg environmental weapons! :-)

-Unlike GW1, where you had to return to town and leave the instance to change skills, in GW2 you can swap out all of your skills and traits at anytime (so long as your out of combat). This means you wont be limited to a preset 8 skills, you can change them as needed making you more flexible and overall allowing use of many more skills and changing you build / spec on the fly.

- Interaction between player's skills, such a sthe examples they used of an Ele. casting a static field spell, and warrior shooting a bullet through the field towards enemies, resulting in an electrically charged bullet. And an Ele. casting a flame wall type spell, and a warrior using certain axe skills (either sweeping or spinning, forget which they mentioned) and causing flames to shoot forth from the warrior.

Considering all of the above, as well as the fact that there could also be more than what i listed in the future, it is not limiting anything compared to GW1, it is removing most of the limits GW1 had and adding so many more possibilities and more flexibility.

Not really a misconception on my part at all,  its exactly what I was less excited about.  They are kind of conforming your characters in to specific classes whereas in the original guild wars, sure you had set classes (dual classes) but you had the ability to change any of the skills available to you so you could spec your character pretty much any way you wanted to.  Though you have more skills ( less overall abilities)  but less customization of them on your bar at any one time it shortens the amount of fun for me that I could create the specific build I want no matter if my extra attack skill would make me vulnerable or I couldn't heal myself.

Being able to switch at any time is a nice addition, but it won't matter at all when  you're in combat and you would like that extra AOE skill instead of this defense buff.  I don't really care that much though, as I said before its a minimal gripe to me,  the game will play however the game plays, and I will accept it as such.   

Since this is a buy to play title I'm not so critical of the features because if I buy it and don't like it, I can stop playing, and come back later for free.  In a P2P game, I am more critical of features I dislike because if I try it and I don't like it,  if I choose to come back, it will still cost me.

In this avenue GW2 will be a nice backup title for any new P2P games that come out that don't cut the mustard for me. (why would you cut mustard anyways?)

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

It's not out yet....    ;(

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

Granted, we don't know much - and in attempt to keep this OP as short as possible while retaining my point, allow me to ask this question after a bit of backstory...

I have been an MMORPG gamer since EQ back in '99. I have gone through quite a few different games and been at the year long pre-release hype parties for others. I never got sucked into the WAR/AOC > WoW debacle. Frankly, I don't think I have been this excited for an MMORPG ever. So far, I have seen nothing (and please, try to remember that I am quoting things that are actually announced thus far - not attempting to create a speculation thread) that I dislike about this game. It is right down my alleyway, a large number of classes - a new twist on combat - good graphics - excellent storytelling methods - the heritage that says GW2 will have staying power - unique mechanics and skill combinations.

So I mean, that is most of the stuff that we know about the game thus far - and assumedly the stuff we all like. Have you seen anything you don't like?

One word: NCSoft. NCSoft has got to be the worst company I've seen when it comes to customer service and concern for their customer base.

Folks can say 'I feel like just a number' in respect to a whole host of companies but, in my experience, NCSoft takes the cake. I've had terrible experiences with Alienware, having to stay on their back for 9 months just to get a laptop that works and finally, after two shipped-to-me-broken laptops and two repairs-that-were-not-repairs, I actually received a refund: 9 months later after nearly 100 e-mails and who knows how many hours on the phone. Blizzard is...Blizzard. With Verizon Wireless I actually had to remind them to check their inventories after sending back two phones that didn't work because they billed me for them without bothering to check said inventories.

I can go on and on about this and I think, in reality, most of us can too. With NCSoft, though, their support for product after product has caused me to be genuinely wary of anything connected to them. If it wasn't for the fact that ArenaNet does such good work and can't help being a wholly-owned subsidary of NCSoft, getting all of the support for their products that that means, I would never touch another NCSoft product again.

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.