Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you not like about GW2?

n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Granted, we don't know much - and in attempt to keep this OP as short as possible while retaining my point, allow me to ask this question after a bit of backstory...

I have been an MMORPG gamer since EQ back in '99. I have gone through quite a few different games and been at the year long pre-release hype parties for others. I never got sucked into the WAR/AOC > WoW debacle. Frankly, I don't think I have been this excited for an MMORPG ever. So far, I have seen nothing (and please, try to remember that I am quoting things that are actually announced thus far - not attempting to create a speculation thread) that I dislike about this game. It is right down my alleyway, a large number of classes - a new twist on combat - good graphics - excellent storytelling methods - the heritage that says GW2 will have staying power - unique mechanics and skill combinations.

So I mean, that is most of the stuff that we know about the game thus far - and assumedly the stuff we all like. Have you seen anything you don't like?

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

Comments

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

Well, due to the great marketing strategy of Anet , informations about the game really impressed me. I cant find anything that I don`t like. Still I have to point out that many games looked good on paper, but in the end didn`t. So far I`m satisfied with the flow of information that we receive and I hope gw2 will come trough.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

So far there are a few things I am nervious about.  But really dislike?  Only one thing.  I am not playing it yet!  LOL.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Although I like the graphics overall, I'm not that enthusiastic yet about the character faces, in the ingame screenshots they're too plasticky and generic.

When GW came out, the characters were absolutely awesome and the best quality around. The GW2 characters look better, but not the best around.

I did see some artwork models of a GW2 artist where the characters looked better. I don't know if that was only a pre-rendered model or that we will see that kind of quality ingame too.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

So far I'm worried only about the announced removal of collision detection.

IMO this is quite an important feature in PvP, for too many reasons I'd care to mention here... However the wording in the interview is still a bit vague and may refer only to the "main" world - the PvE one. It is still possible they are going to feature it in competetive PvP and the Mists. I agree that CD in PvE usually creates more trouble than what it's worth, but in PvP imo they really should keep it.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

interesting question !

in the case of GW2 it's very little that i don't like.

i for sure don't like asura and sylvari looks. I am no big fan of guns! I would have prefered another title than Guild wars 2.

But all so small things that i really had to dig deep to remember what it was.

But as the ekspectations is getting higher and higher , it's more like worries come knocking at the door!

i am worried about if they can pull all the promised off! and i have found myself thinking that i would be more sure if it was a game with a montly fee! Not that i prefer one ! it just easyer to grasp all this goodness... when imagining subscribtion

• CcDohlCcDohl Member Posts: 65

I don't like all of the races.

I say they drop the elves and mutated gnomes and come up with something along the same lines as the shapeshifters and big bear monsters.

At least put dwarves in to counterbalance the elves.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

So far I'm worried only about the announced removal of collision detection.

IMO this is quite an important feature in PvP, for too many reasons I'd care to mention here... However the wording in the interview is still a bit vague and may refer only to the "main" world - the PvE one. It is still possible they are going to feature it in competetive PvP and the Mists. I agree that CD in PvE usually creates more trouble than what it's worth, but in PvP imo they really should keep it.

wow...ditto really... i couldn't have put it better myself..both my worry and my belief about CD...

oh ur good...:)

besides that, game seems to be heading in an evolutionary and revolutionary direction in the mmo genre.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

I don't really dislike anything about the game design.

The only thing I'm worried about is the Dynamic Event system.  While reading a lot of the interviews/articles about dynamic events I can't help but to think back to the interviews/articles about Public Quests before WAR was released.

I know that the Dynamic Event system is based off of the Public Quest system, and I also know that ArenaNet has had ample time to see where Mythic failed with their creation and how to fix it.  But the actual text in the articles really worries me, because they are very similar with just a few differences in favor of the Dynamic Events.

It seems that ArenaNet has coding in-place to counter the failures of WAR's system so I'm crossing my fingers that ArenaNet will be able to deliver on this.  But in the back of my mind I just can't shake the feeling that it's going to be lack-luster due to the failure of WAR's similar system.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• heimer73heimer73 Member Posts: 147

Nothing comes to mind ... I am actually pretty excited about GW2.

I think it will have the innovation needed to be a big hit.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

The only thing that worries me is my fear they would remove cross-class combos..this is one of the features Im really psycked about (and dynamic events...through interviews it doesnt seem like public quest to me, but we'll see ;) )

But if anythink...there are still so many cool features that I'll play the game even if they cut half of it :P

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

My biggest complaint is that its coming out at the same time as alot of the other games on the horizon. I dont say that because im worried that ill want to play something else instead. Im worried because it means i may not get the opportunity to play some of the other potentially awesome games coming out. I almost wish it wasnt coming out till 2012. At least that way these other games that at this point would deserve to do well (hopefully) could have a chance at being succesful before GW2 buries them all. It just seems that if GW2 buries these other games, it will convince the other companies to copy GW2 instead of continuing to inovate on there own. And we will have another 5 yr cycle of imitators, like we are just finally escaping from, since WoW. I just hope im wrong and history doesnt repeat itself.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I've read that the Faction races won't be at war with each other and getting along. The game is nice and will be my main MMO *if* they stick to the proposed business model and not stick a sub or ingame CShop in there. But I would have liked it if the factions weren't all allies, with some teaming up against others. But meh, no complaints otherwise.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by Nailzzz

My biggest complaint is that its coming out at the same time as alot of the other games on the horizon. I dont say that because im worried that ill want to play something else instead. Im worried because it means i may not get the opportunity to play some of the other potentially awesome games coming out. I almost wish it wasnt coming out till 2012. At least that way these other games that at this point would deserve to do well (hopefully) could have a chance at being succesful before GW2 buries them all. It just seems that if GW2 buries these other games, it will convince the other companies to copy GW2 instead of continuing to inovate on there own. And we will have another 5 yr cycle of imitators, like we are just finally escaping from, since WoW. I just hope im wrong and history doesnt repeat itself.

only one thing to do, got a half year to build the nerd bunker, with hot line to the nearest pizzahut.....and rip out the year 2011 to dedicate it to MMOs.

agreed tho, really alot of MMOs coming out that seems like good games in their own ways....loads of games to buy, install and uninstall :P  how Id get to try out new MMOs these days, hard to feel excited over any MMO after EQ2 - did sorta like guild wars 1´s 2 last beta rounds tho

Originally posted by nyxium

I've read that the Faction races won't be at war with each other and getting along. The game is nice and will be my main MMO *if* they stick to the proposed business model and not stick a sub or ingame CShop in there. But I would have liked it if the factions weren't all allies, with some teaming up against others. But meh, no complaints otherwise.

Well you will have "factions".. tho they won't be race based or even on the same server. In GW2 your server is your faction which I find a great and novel concept. In fact this concept's been bandied around for ages in mmo design circles and it realy gladdens me to see some dev having the guts to implement it. (Jeez, the sheer inertia of the genre is staggering)

This server=faction concept has so many advantages that they are almost too numerous to list. For example, you are truly free to choose the race you want without having to think what your pals are choosing. PvE content is used to its max - in a 2 faction game basically half of the PvE content is closed to you (WAR anyone?) etc etc.

However if you feel that this is somehow not really immersive, there is nothing stopping you from creating a guild which accepts only some of the races. I know I will have an alt guild named "Masters of the Universe" open to Asura only, just for fun. :)

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm really worried about the character models. The five Iconic character in the trailers should be completely awesome, but they aren't. The Sylvari woman, in particular, has got to be one of the worst character models I've seen in an AAA title in at least the last five years. The armor looks like (in some cases), it may be better than GW, but even there, I just do not see the design and quality I would expect.

I hate EQ2's character models with a passion and too much of what I've seen of GW2's character models are disappointingly similar.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by nyxium

indeed is their big selling point to me, would leave EQ2 with no regrets if they stick to this, mainly since know I could get afew from rl to try it out.

would expect they release more expansions tho, do need to earn money from somewhere, did read someone note how many they had released for guildwars 1.  2 expansions and 3 campaigns (guessing its a mini expansion with lower price) iirc  in the last 5ish years it have been out.   but have always been ok with buying expansions, as long it doesnt feel like a rip off

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Originally posted by Dameonk

I don't really dislike anything about the game design.

The only thing I'm worried about is the Dynamic Event system.  While reading a lot of the interviews/articles about dynamic events I can't help but to think back to the interviews/articles about Public Quests before WAR was released.

I know that the Dynamic Event system is based off of the Public Quest system, and I also know that ArenaNet has had ample time to see where Mythic failed with their creation and how to fix it.  But the actual text in the articles really worries me, because they are very similar with just a few differences in favor of the Dynamic Events.

It seems that ArenaNet has coding in-place to counter the failures of WAR's system so I'm crossing my fingers that ArenaNet will be able to deliver on this.  But in the back of my mind I just can't shake the feeling that it's going to be lack-luster due to the failure of WAR's similar system.

Don't worry about that mate. It has been stressed that the dynamic events will have resulting effects that chain off and/or cascade with other events across the world depending on how the players accomplish an event. From what i gather from the Public Event System when the event ends the world doesnt change to reflect the effects of the players' accomplishment. MMORPG.com site has an interview with a GW2 developer about the Dynamic Event System and how it works and the 5th question basically addresses your concern.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/4235/Guild-Wars-2-Dynamic-Events-Interview.html

"

MMORPG.com:

How do Guild Wars 2’s dynamic events differ from similar sounding, already existing game mechanics like, say, public quests in Warhammer Online?

Colin Johanson:

The difference between these two systems lies in the word “dynamic.” When a public quest ends the game world does not change; the actions the players took really made no difference. A timer starts counting down and then the public quest runs again.

In Guild Wars 2, when a dynamic event ends, the game will be changed as a result of the event occurring. The event will then chain and cascade out into other events that occur as a direct result of the outcome of the previous event, creating a world where the content is dynamic and changes based on player participation and activity. You’ll never encounter a point in Guild Wars 2 where you complete a task and a timer pops up and says, “4 minutes until the thing you just did happens again.” It breaks your sense of immersion and gives you a sense that things you do in the game world don’t really matter.

Another major difference is because the events dynamically scale in difficulty, anyone can participate in and complete them, regardless of how many people are in the zone. Their public quest system required a lot of people to be in the area to complete most of the quests, because they were too difficult for the single player. So when server population went down, or you were off playing solo, or the population in the game moved on to higher level maps, people couldn’t play the public quests. People will always be able to participate in the dynamic event system- anytime, anywhere, at any point in the game’s life cycle.

The final core difference between our dynamic event system and public quests is that everyone who actively participates in the event will receive the full reward for the event. There will be no instance where someone shows up for the last 30 seconds of the event, kills a couple minotaurs, and then receives the best reward from the loot system. If you participate fully in the event, you get the reward, period.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• brokenssbrokenss Member Posts: 44

Isn't it a bit too early to tell? I mean have you actually played the game?

What I dislike the most (only thing perhaps) about GW2 is people like you, asking these silly questions, but I guess thats nothing to do with the game itself....

~Awesome Tr!x

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There is nothing yet that i really dislike...

But i'd love to have seen character collision implemented between PC's ..

I loved the diversity of multiclassing, and was a little disapointed in the beginning, but i now think the new system will be just as good and diverse.

Also i think some dynamic events that would flag you for PvP on either of the 2 or more sides would have been cool... but not to many of these, just a few, and not in all scenes of the event but only in a certain scene... it would give players even more the feeling that they can actually chage things in this world... Now they only have the option to participate in an event or not... but they cam mever join the other side....  

But my biggest minus is still that tough i know a lot allready about thios game, there is still so much more i don't know anything at all about...  I will not judge this game till i actually played  it... I have been hyped one to many time and while looking great on paper, things like the Dynamic event system could not work out in practice

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

Granted, we don't know much - and in attempt to keep this OP as short as possible while retaining my point, allow me to ask this question after a bit of backstory...

I have been an MMORPG gamer since EQ back in '99. I have gone through quite a few different games and been at the year long pre-release hype parties for others. I never got sucked into the WAR/AOC > WoW debacle. Frankly, I don't think I have been this excited for an MMORPG ever. So far, I have seen nothing (and please, try to remember that I am quoting things that are actually announced thus far - not attempting to create a speculation thread) that I dislike about this game. It is right down my alleyway, a large number of classes - a new twist on combat - good graphics - excellent storytelling methods - the heritage that says GW2 will have staying power - unique mechanics and skill combinations.

So I mean, that is most of the stuff that we know about the game thus far - and assumedly the stuff we all like. Have you seen anything you don't like?

I don't like the asura. They look silly. I realize that is totally subjective and it certainly wont stop me from playing but come on...

Charr - badass! plz dont eat me kittydog

norn - badass! plz dont sit one me bearperson

Sylvari - pretty cool. plz dont sprout more trees on my lawn.

Asura - uh. hrmm. Here is a Q-tip clean those big ole ears and bring me a soda.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

Originally posted by brokenss

Isn't it a bit too early to tell? I mean have you actually played the game?

What I dislike the most (only thing perhaps) about GW2 is people like you, asking these silly questions, but I guess thats nothing to do with the game itself....

I'm just multiplying the awesome of the trailers, by the amount of fun i've had in Guild Wars (proving how good the devs are)

Personally, the only thing i'm worried about is the higher level cap, they kinda skirted the subject in the interview, saying "people aren't sick of levels, they are sick of doing boring things to level"

When infact the main problem with levels is being seperated from your friends.  I love the low level cap in GW1 as I can play with my veteran friends in no time. (pvp focused games can't have too much ramp-up time imo)

I do trust that there will be enough interesting content to make me not even notice the levelling process (GW1 was one of the few games that actually pulled me into its story and had me questing to find out more, not to grind that little green bar)

@astoria : And i'm glad it's not your choice, Asura are my favourite ^_^ (love all the races though, they are so different, and there will be some interesting interactions between them in the storyline)

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

Originally posted by CcDohl

I don't like all of the races.

I say they drop the elves and mutated gnomes and come up with something along the same lines as the shapeshifters and big bear monsters.

At least put dwarves in to counterbalance the elves.

wtf dude. dwarves to counterbalance elves?     I don't know if you ever played GW but adding dwarves to the playable races would be horrible imo.   Now I know that there are dwarves in GW, but there aren't a ton...and it's not the type of thing where you see them all the time.   GW2's races are all from the GW universe (except the Sylvari), and I'd have to say that if you ever played GW then you would probably know that playing a dwarf would not feel like it's guild wars.   As for the "mutated gnomes", they are also from GW: eye of the north.    

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

The fact that it's not out yet and people are already giving reviews.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Also i think some dynamic events that would flag you for PvP on either of the 2 or more sides would have been cool... but not to many of these, just a few, and not in all scenes of the event but only in a certain scene... it would give players even more the feeling that they can actually chage things in this world... Now they only have the option to participate in an event or not... but they cam mever join the other side....  

Well I'm still hoping against hope that we'll have some events in the Mists.. IMO that was one of the biggest missed opportunities in WAR. Open RvR there would have been so much better there if there were a few contestable PQs in the RvR lakes...

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Well I'm still hoping against hope that we'll have some events in the Mists.. IMO that was one of the biggest missed opportunities in WAR. Open RvR there would have been so much better there if there were a few contestable PQs in the RvR lakes...

Strange...

This is exactly what i don't want to see... WvW is what it is.... WvW, 3 worlds each with their own goals. 

I bet there are main goals and mini goals in WvW.. but these will bring the PvP to another level way above the mindlessly killing in many other MMO's

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)