Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to game why the hate?

Comments

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

I think the hate can be explained by the STO history:

1. On one hand in order to increase CO subscriptions with the lifetime and 6month subscription there was a supposedly exclusive access to close beta. Besides not being really exclusive for many people was at the end of the closed beta 1-2 week at most. On the other hand, many ST fans were playing a game in a genre they were not much interested, so when wow in spandex was not there they were frustrated, failing to understand how superhero mmos approach (at least for the only 2 ones) is different from fantasy or scifi mmos.

2. The beta was pretty much clear, the picture of how the game would be was clear, what could change and what could not. Still, many people stayed thinking that if they complained a lot STO magically would have turned into its dream version of a star trek game. This also was a source of frustration.

From buying a game that they were not interested just to access a couple of beta weeks and then buying a game they knew pretty much it never satisfy their expectations. Some players needs to point fingers out of themselves to not feel foolish, pretty much a displacement of guilt. 

I bought and subscribed to CO which I still played because I like it, but I saw how STO was designed and it didn't satisfy my taste so I did what my neurons advised me: To Not Buy It.

Anyway, as I said in other threads, many other mmos are coming and I hope they get what they want I am pretty sure they will be happier.

• Lizard_SFLizard_SF Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by gandales

I think the hate can be explained by the STO history:

2. The beta was pretty much clear, the picture of how the game would be was clear, what could change and what could not. Still, many people stayed thinking that if they complained a lot STO magically would have turned into its dream version of a star trek game. This also was a source of frustration.

This is a pretty good point, and it applies to most games. Usually, you know what a game is, in terms of broad style and design choices, pretty early in the development cycle. Few games radically change after the point at which you're seeing even early alpha footage. Details may alter, but not the core framework. (Games which do make these changes late often suffer; Warhammer online, for example, was supposed to focus mostly on instanced PVP, but fans wanted open world PVP, so the "Lakes" were introduced and because the core design wasn't built around them, they were constantly revised to make them relevant to realm control so people would fight in them.)

However (and I blame a generation of whiners taught that they're special snowflakes and that their desires and wishes are more important than their actual abilities), there's a huge segment of the fanbase (well, a LOUD segment, not sure how huge it really is), that simply fixates on what they WANT something to be, not what it IS, and get angrier and angrier when the game that exists in the real world is nothing like the game they made up in their imaginations... and somehow, the fault isn't their lack of research, it's the evil game company not understanding "what the players want".

KOTOR is not going to be a sandbox/crafting/politics game, it was never promised as a sandbox game, nothing ever hinted it was going to be a sandbox game, but SWG fans who hated (rightfully so) the NGE decided that any new Star Wars game HAD to be a return to the pre-NGE/CU style of play, and the more it came to light KOTOR wasn't that, never was, and never would be, the more hateful they became.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

There is a lot of hate because it's a pretty bad game in all aspects, Cryptic are an awful company in most aspects, and there is simply a lack of anything to like about the thing, which leaves only the hate.

OP, if you want some support, fanatical support mostly, look for blue names on the official boards.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by Die_Scream

There is a lot of hate because it's a pretty bad game in all aspects, Cryptic are an awful company in most aspects, and there is simply a lack of anything to like about the thing, which leaves only the hate.

OP, if you want some support, fanatical support mostly, look for blue names on the official boards.

This, this, this, a thousand times THIS!

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

Just play EVE for a proper space game.

Complicated - Yes

Varied - most definately

Massive - completely

(no dog fighting - but hey can't have everything)

Whereas STO is

Pointless - why play when you do nothing to whats around you

Insipid - Wheres the deep lore of star trek? I believe its in the buy it now section of the Cash shop

Silly - Borg the first things you kill? Don't care how weak they are, they don't congregate in corners to get shot at...

STO could have been good, but beta made me cry (click here on the big blocky bit of furnature to complete mission)

Originally posted by Dalmont

Just play EVE for a proper space game.

Complicated - Yes

Varied - most definately

Massive - completely

(no dog fighting - but hey can't have everything)

Whereas STO is

Pointless - why play when you do nothing to whats around you

Insipid - Wheres the deep lore of star trek? I believe its in the buy it now section of the Cash shop

Silly - Borg the first things you kill? Don't care how weak they are, they don't congregate in corners to get shot at...

STO could have been good, but beta made me cry (click here on the big blocky bit of furnature to complete mission)

I don't like Eve or STO, both of them are pretty boring to me. Eve is pretty much a faceless game that cater the very specific sandbox crowd, funnily not much different in the gross sense to the some of the pirate mmos f2p. I tried Eve free trial, it didn't last more than a couple days in my hard drive.

Now the question, do I hate Eve? No, I don't hate it even less CCP, they made a good game that I just don't like.

Several years ago, I bought at release RF Online, $50 bucks, I was under the impression that it would be like wow with mecha(yep, silly me). It last a week before I gave up. It was not for me. Do I hate Codemasters? No, they didn't put a gun on my head to buy its game. They didn't make cinematic fraud on how their game was. It was my decision, to buy it without trying first, without thinking first. The issue is that is easier to hate that take responsibility for our choices.

"Bad games" are, have been and will be in the market. Surprisingly there are people who play them, so for them cannot be that bad.

It is funny how DCUO hasn't gone into beta so we know very little about it and still so many people make such a big assertions about the game not worth be p2p

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Wyrdsoul

I've just started the game and can't see what all the hate is about!

I'm finding it fun and involving. I've tried lot of mmo's and this is 1 of the better launch or  just launched titles I've come across.

Whilst only new it seems to have a broad amount of things to do.

So just thought I'd post this after reading al the negative threads, glad they didn't put me of trying this game.

Well, the game wasn't really what people hoped it would be.

The biggest problem is that the game isn't made for the Star trek fans but more for casual gamers.

Also, the game was made in record time, they should have left it in development longer.

But your are obviously the group Cryptic is targeting, It is the people in other groups that like the IP that is complaining. You can't make everyone happy but they should have put in more stuff for the Trekkies, they are a large group consumers who doesn't mind to spend money on the things they like.

Originally posted by Loke666

I'm finding it fun and involving. I've tried lot of mmo's and this is 1 of the better launch or  just launched titles I've come across.

So just thought I'd post this after reading al the negative threads, glad they didn't put me of trying this game.

The biggest problem is that the game isn't made for the Star trek fans but more for casual gamers.

Also, the game was made in record time, they should have left it in development longer.

But your are obviously the group Cryptic is targeting, It is the people in other groups that like the IP that is complaining. You can't make everyone happy but they should have put in more stuff for the Trekkies, they are a large group consumers who doesn't mind to spend money on the things they like.

Finally a rational person, I am myself a star trek fan( not fanatic but still a good fan, all movies, series, etc). However, I knew it was pretty difficult to put star trek spirit in a video game, even less in a mmo. First, star trek is by nature a sandbox but still is bound by structured environment (starfleet command), so the rogue nature of sandbox games like Eve does not fit completely in the star trek. On the other hand, themepark style is too rigid to allow diplomacy and other subtle activities. Star trek is good for Pen and Paper RPG but it fails when going to the computer, it is not devs fault is just the way it is. I think Cryptic did a action game that works on star trek like universe, more like playing doom reskinned as x-men. Still, I think they made a good job in the space combat with the whole shield/phaser/torpedo dynamic, but certainly is not innovative enough, good for a single player game, too repetitive for a mmo.

However, I still think that it is silly to hate Cryptic for that, they made a game, you saw it, you didn't like it, you won't play it, end of story. The crusade for saving the world from Cryptic is just silly. Star trek IP has been available and nobody took it before perpetual, why blizzard, bioware of any other of the good devs took it, because they knew that Star Trek is not a good IP to put in a video game, the best thing you can get is an ok game. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

The thing is, it is not "hate" to say that a company puts out products that do not live up to even moderate expectations.

For a well known IP like ST, those expectations were higher than a generic Sci-FI (like Eve, for instance).

I don't wish Cryptic to burn or anything, I just won't buy their products in the future. They have demonstrated they can't/won't put out anything that is not a shallow, quickly made product, and I won't be buying those. I'll vote with my wallet.

Which does not mean I won't occasionally take a trial from a game company I don't support, on the off chance I am wrong, but I haven't been wrong so far. Companies that have a had a poor business record, have continued to as time has gone on so far.

And there are a couple comanies I won't even take a trial for: SOE and one or two others maybe, they have behaved so poorly in the past, that they have lost me as a customer.

Reputation is very important in this industry, and once a company gets a bad one, it is very hard to recover from.

Originally posted by gandales

Originally posted by Loke666

Finally a rational person, I am myself a star trek fan( not fanatic but still a good fan, all movies, series, etc). However, I knew it was pretty difficult to put star trek spirit in a video game, even less in a mmo. First, star trek is by nature a sandbox but still is bound by structured environment (starfleet command), so the rogue nature of sandbox games like Eve does not fit completely in the star trek. On the other hand, themepark style is too rigid to allow diplomacy and other subtle activities. Star trek is good for Pen and Paper RPG but it fails when going to the computer, it is not devs fault is just the way it is. I think Cryptic did a action game that works on star trek like universe, more like playing doom reskinned as x-men. Still, I think they made a good job in the space combat with the whole shield/phaser/torpedo dynamic, but certainly is not innovative enough, good for a single player game, too repetitive for a mmo.

However, I still think that it is silly to hate Cryptic for that, they made a game, you saw it, you didn't like it, you won't play it, end of story. The crusade for saving the world from Cryptic is just silly. Star trek IP has been available and nobody took it before perpetual, why blizzard, bioware of any other of the good devs took it, because they knew that Star Trek is not a good IP to put in a video game, the best thing you can get is an ok game. 

The game is certainly the Devs fault.  Say all you want about how it is an action game, but it is VERY shallow.  The game was rushed on a very short schedule because they wanted to make more money and what came out was largely crap.  Best case scenario for most anyone is that it can keep you entertained for a month or two.  Even then though, I say it isn't worth a Box Fee + Monthly Fee + Microtransactions.  STO is truly a case of less for more.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Cryptic didn't exactly make the game, Perpetual Ent. did but Cryptic obviously did a poor job of improving it.

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by sookster54

Cryptic didn't exactly make the game, Perpetual Ent. did but Cryptic obviously did a poor job of improving it.

Cryptic didn't get much from PE... just about everything in STO you see is Cryptic doing.

They may have used some of PE ideas... but that is about it.

Originally posted by lornphoenix

Originally posted by sookster54

Cryptic didn't get much from PE... just about everything in STO you see is Cryptic doing.

They may have used some of PE ideas... but that is about it.

Cryptic explicitly said on multiple occasions that they started from scratch on the game.  They didn't use anything of Perpetual's.

• jotulljotull Member Posts: 256

The hate depends on who you talked to Hardcore gamers hate everything  with the possible exception of EvE  and pre CU SWG.  Then we have the Hailing frequency crowd they are the last vestiges of a site called sto.net, Sto.net can't get over that perpetual (the company that had the STO licensee )  failed, they pretty much hate everything Cryptic has or will do and will buy accounts just to rant on the forums. The you have the I hat cryptic because I purchased a lifetime Champions online account just to get in the STO beta and only got to beta test a couple weeks.

Personally I find the game fun as do a lot of other people for a game to be failing  it's interesting that Sol always has at least ten instances the DS9 RP events on Sunday last week filled up four separate instances, (that is no small feat even some of the devs who joined in were shocked) and according to My wife who works for Gamestop Corporate sales are still very brisk....Haters gonna hate it's that simple if you find the game fun OP keep playing when it stops being so its time for a new game...how sad it is that the vast majority of so called games can't grasp that simple concept.

Originally posted by jotull

The hate depends on who you talked to Hardcore gamers hate everything  with the possible exception of EvE  and pre CU SWG.  Then we have the Hailing frequency crowd they are the last vestiges of a site called sto.net, Sto.net can't get over that perpetual (the company that had the STO licensee )  failed, they pretty much hate everything Cryptic has or will do and will buy accounts just to rant on the forums. The you have the I hat cryptic because I purchased a lifetime Champions online account just to get in the STO beta and only got to beta test a couple weeks.

Personally I find the game fun as do a lot of other people for a game to be failing  it's interesting that Sol always has at least ten instances the DS9 RP events on Sunday last week filled up four separate instances, (that is no small feat even some of the devs who joined in were shocked) and according to My wife who works for Gamestop Corporate sales are still very brisk....Hates gonna hate it's that simple if you find the game fun OP keep playing when it stops being so its time for a new game...how sad it is that the vast majority of so called games can't grasp that simple concept.

I don't fit into any of your categories.  Didn't know about sto.net, don't like EvE or pre-CU SWG, and I didn't buy STO because the beta sucked.

The game is shallow, has little content, costs as much as a AAA title to buy, has a AAA monthly fee, and then tacks on an Item Shop.  That makes it cost more than almost any other MMO on the market, while at the same time delivering less.  Combine that with very lousy ground combat and you are essentially paying top dollar for Starfleet Command game which is crazy.  Now the price for the box is a bit cheaper of course (30 bucks at Gamestop), but the other costs are still quite high.

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

I have been playing since beta and I find STO to be fun, yes it could have/should have been more. I will admit to not caring for some of Cryptics design decisions(to much instancing, no real exploration, the warp map, WoW BG style PvP, etc but all in all I enjoy the game quite abit.

STO is not the game for you if you play 10 hours a day, but, if you have a life and only a few hours here and there to play, or need a second MMoRPG to log into every so often then this is a great game.

Lets face it, what MMoRPG has depth? and dont go screaming about original SWG cuase I was there and the same complaint was screamed at that game...

No game is going to please everyone but no game is also as bad as the regulars on these forums claim either, oh ya, I hope the new Star Wars MMoRPG is going to be great, but read all the hype about it, its the next coming of Christ, just like every other game since WoW, and as soon as release these forums turn on it like pigs in blood lust, unfortinatly the same fate will befall Bioware soon.

Godz of War I call Thee

Originally posted by waveslayer

I have been playing since beta and I find STO to be fun, yes it could have/should have been more. I will admit to not caring for some of Cryptics design decisions(to much instancing, no real exploration, the warp map, WoW BG style PvP, etc but all in all I enjoy the game quite abit.

STO is not the game for you if you play 10 hours a day, but, if you have a life and only a few hours here and there to play, or need a second MMoRPG to log into every so often then this is a great game.

Lets face it, what MMoRPG has depth? and dont go screaming about original SWG cuase I was there and the same complaint was screamed at that game...

WoW has 10 times the depth of STO (and I don't play WoW anymore for what it matters.

Originally posted by Drachasor

WoW has 10 times the depth of STO (and I don't play WoW anymore for what it matters.

WoW has depth? ...you actually caused me to laugh out loud, and I do play it...you my friend just lost any credibility you thought you had.

Godz of War I call Thee

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

WoW has depth? ...you actually caused me to laugh out loud, and I do play it...you my friend just lost any credibility you thought you had.

I think depth was the wrong way to say it. It is more about serface area of the game world where players can interact. Even though WoW has mo depth at all. It is a MMO where you can run around in open zones with many other players. STO has areas that you can see up to 50 players if you are lucky. STO is a SPG with multiplayer activities. It can and will add more to the game. But instances with a max of 50 players doesn't make a MMO at all. 

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

1 is 10 times bigger than .1, but I wouldn't call 1 a large number.

l2math.

You read the comment the wrong way around.  I wasn't saying WoW had a lot of depth, I was emphasizing how little depth STO has.

• jotulljotull Member Posts: 256

Personally I find the game fun as do a lot of other people for a game to be failing  it's interesting that Sol always has at least ten instances the DS9 RP events on Sunday last week filled up four separate instances, (that is no small feat even some of the devs who joined in were shocked) and according to My wife who works for Gamestop Corporate sales are still very brisk....Hates gonna hate it's that simple if you find the game fun OP keep playing when it stops being so its time for a new game...how sad it is that the vast majority of so called games can't grasp that simple concept.

I don't fit into any of your categories.  Didn't know about sto.net, don't like EvE or pre-CU SWG, and I didn't buy STO because the beta sucked.

The game is shallow, has little content, costs as much as a AAA title to buy, has a AAA monthly fee, and then tacks on an Item Shop.  That makes it cost more than almost any other MMO on the market, while at the same time delivering less.  Combine that with very lousy ground combat and you are essentially paying top dollar for Starfleet Command game which is crazy.  Now the price for the box is a bit cheaper of course (30 bucks at Gamestop), but the other costs are still quite high.

Yep and that's called opinion,  what do you consider a AAA title? WoW? EvE?  whatever it is I can probably find just as many folks who will say the exact same thing about thouse games. Seems to me your real beef is with MT's and a Sub, the great thing there is no one is being forced to sub or buy Mts ( In Soviet Russia MMO plays you)  the point is that one opinion is no more or less valid than the other...you may like or hate STO but in the end it all comes down to preference...

Yep and that's called opinion,  what do you consider a AAA title? WoW? EvE?  whatever it is I can probably find just as many folks who will say the exact same thing about thouse games. Seems to me your real beef is with MT's and a Sub, the great thing there is no one is being forced to sub or buy Mts ( In Soviet Russia MMO plays you)  the point is that one opinion is no more or less valid than the other...you may like or hate STO but in the end it all comes down to preference...

It's a fact that STO has a ridiculously small amount of content.  It's a fact it was launched with a half-finished faction that still isn't done.  It's a fact it is charging more than MMOs that offer far, far more features (because to get all of STO's features, you have to pay more cash).  Even ignoring the micro-transactions, it is still a LOT LESS  content for just as much money.

My real beef is with crappy games that charge more than they should.  Even without MT it would still be not worth a sub.  The MT is just salt in the wound.

• x3r0hx3r0h Member Posts: 186

The game was just not appealing to me. It didn't feel like Star Trek.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Your pride, good sir, far exceeds your worth." -x3r0h

Oldest mmorpg.com member with the least amount of post counts. That counts for something, right?

It's a fact that STO has a ridiculously small amount of content.  It's a fact it was launched with a half-finished faction that still isn't done.  It's a fact it is charging more than MMOs that offer far, far more features (because to get all of STO's features, you have to pay more cash).  Even ignoring the micro-transactions, it is still a LOT LESS  content for just as much money.

So what are these "facts" based on ?  What feature of STO requires the cash shop? The Klingons where very under developed at launch I will give you that one, but, I am not sure you actually know what your typing about or that you just parrot the hate posts of others.

Anyway if you dislike STO so much why are you spending so much time in forums about it? OCD maybe?

Godz of War I call Thee

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

So what are these "facts" based on ?  What feature of STO requires the cash shop? The Klingons where very under developed at launch I will give you that one, but, I am not sure you actually know what your typing about or that you just parrot the hate posts of others.

Anyway if you dislike STO so much why are you spending so much time in forums about it? OCD maybe?

Well, I'd call it a fairly well established fact that a game is content light, when a player can cap out and do all the in-game content during the free month without playing 4-8 hours a day. Heck, people were capping out  in 10-14 days, the hardcore types. And that is what we have here. Otherwise, as bad as STO is to some people, there would not have been the population crash after the first month, would there?

And, for being feature light, I would point to the economy, crafting, and meaningful options for non combat gameplay. All of these have been given very, very little attention in STO, both in comparison to other modern MMOs and the ST franchise itself. It is a fact that besides combat, there is nothing much to do in STO.

And there is game design. Over instanced everything, the whole game is a bunch of instances, really. And the player caps are so small, not all people in the same fleet could fit into the same instance. And God forbid you want to try to get together with friends when you go someplace with multiple stacked instances and can't get into the ones you want together (although this is probably less of a problem,, now that so many have canceled).

STO had its shot and missed the mark. In the end, it is just another mostly failed MMO to throw on the fire, when the remaining diehards finally give up.