Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Palladium Books Claim Dismissed

2»

Comments

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Originally posted by LodenDSG

Originally posted by svann

I really dont see how there is any question.  If Palladium already has a registered copyright on the name "Rift" as a computer game Im almost certain it doesnt matter if Trion is coming to market first.  What use would there be registering it if that wasnt so?

I dont see how they where even able to register the word "Rift" by its self honistly its not only a commonly used word but also a real word with a real deffinition . . . didn't Microsoft try to pull some crap like this with the word "window" in relation to calling a UI elment on the screen being a contaner object a window . . . cant recall but at any rate in makes 0 since that it would stand being a single non unique tag which is a real word and currently in common use.

A better analogy would be the fact that MS registered "Windows" as the name of their operating system.  They did it, it is legitimate, and if you try to make an OS named windows you will get sued.   

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by xSagai

http://www.riftgame.com/en/

If you look at the bottom of the home page it says this

"Rift: Planes of Telara™ by Trion Worlds, Inc. is NOT related to or affiliated with Rifts ® by Palladium Books, Inc"

Not sure how long that has been there, but my guess is that is ALLTrion will have to do with this whole thing.

That disclaimer reminds me of the game Dead Rising.

At the bottom of the game box is a disclaimer that it isnt affiliated with George Romero(Dawn of the Dead).

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.