Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR - not a gamebreaker, but something that annoys me

From the videos I've seen so far, it appears that when you talk to a questgiver, you lose camera control and you watch a conversation like you're watching TV.  (I know a few other games have done this too). This is a bit annoying to me.  With the huge number of quests you do in a MMO, this is going to quickly turn into something players will immediatly hit 'escape' and skip (if that's even possible) for the sake of time.

I'd much prefer to be in control.  I always dislike when I lose control of my camera...it pulls me out of the game world.  When I play MMO, I'd much prefer feeling like I'm actually in that world (immersion), and not just watching it on TV.  I know this has been done in other games, but if I want to listen to the questgiver (or read the quest) while doing jumping-jacks or running in a circle I should be able to. 

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Honestly this game is probably not for you.

Have you ever played a Bioware game?

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by heerobya

I like how when some one has nothing to really say. they say this game is not  for if you don't like some parts of it. If they have pvp in this game i hope they do have you set there like a stump so I can kill you while you listen to the  stupid story. Now thats going to be fun.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

Originally posted by Qazz

From the videos I've seen so far, it appears that when you talk to a questgiver, you lose camera control and you watch a conversation like you're watching TV.  (I know a few other games have done this too). This is a bit annoying to me.  With the huge number of quests you do in a MMO, this is going to quickly turn into something players will immediatly hit 'escape' and skip (if that's even possible) for the sake of time.

I'd much prefer to be in control.  I always dislike when I lose control of my camera...it pulls me out of the game world.  When I play MMO, I'd much prefer feeling like I'm actually in that world (immersion), and not just watching it on TV.  I know this has been done in other games, but if I want to listen to the questgiver (or read the quest) while doing jumping-jacks or running in a circle I should be able to. 

That is not exactly ALL that is happening during those sequences. In most (if not all) you will be having to choose between multiple responses to the CONVERSATION. Your choice will determine many things.....like how that npc will react to you or how his minions will react to you.It is not JUST a video sequence for you to watch but rather something that you must react to. Now if that annoys you, then you probably had better just steer away from this game because it is a major design feature for THIS mmo.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by Qazz

In all probably it won't irk you as much if / when you play actually the game.  It worked in AOC fine and no one complained about it that I noticed.  Besides, having fixed cams during dialogue helps the developers to "set the stage" for the dialogue, just like in movies. 

To counter your arguement, I could argue that I actually like the fact that it may actually stop people from bunny hopping around quest givers whilst reading / listening to dialogue.   So for me, thats a bonus because THATs more annoying than having a fixed camera during dialogues  image

What you have to understand about SWTOR is that the dialogue system has different options that actually have different consequences.  Unlike AOC where it didn't matter which option you took, the outcome was the same.  Therefore, it is not advisable to just "escape" out of a dialogue sequence.  However, I suppose its reasonable to assume that the player MAY be able to do that. But, they will probably have to either start the dialogue again from the start of it, or continue from "safe points" in the dialogue. 

More likely though, pressing Escape will just "fast forward" the dialogue (as opposed to exiting the dialogue completely) to a point whereby the player is expected to choose an option (which is more likely).  In my opinion, NOT having that as an option would be worse than having it.  At least it gives people the opportunity to "fast forward" the dialogue IF they wish.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by Bruise187

I like how when some one has nothing to really say. they say this game is not  for if you don't like some parts of it. If they have pvp in this game i hope they do have you set there like a stump so I can kill you while you listen to the  stupid story. Now thats going to be fun.

owned:D this goes to sig:D

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

If they have pvp in this game i hope they do have you set there like a stump so I can kill you while you listen to the  stupid story. Now thats going to be fun.

If openworld truely is in the game, then I very much doubt they will fall for the same issues that originally plagued AOC, where people on FFA PVP servers were being slaughtered in the newbie zones whilst reading / listening to dialogue.

In fact, have Bioware confirmed that there will be a FFA PVP server?  If not then openworld PVP will most probably be consensual in areas with quest givers, and thus you will only be able to do that IF the player is stupid enough to leave themselves open to attack whilst listening to dialogue.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by Pigozz

owned:D this goes to sig:D

Owned my ass. That will be in the game and if you don't like it then that game is really not for you. 

Op said     :With the huge number of quests you do in a MMO, this is going to quickly turn into something players will immediatly hit 'escape' and skip (if that's even possible) for the sake of time."

For the sake of time? Why, what you're gonna do with that time? Story will be this game's strongest part and if you really hate to read or listen what is going on then yeah, that's not really a game for you. Quests of this game are not supposed to pick up blindly, finish it and turn it like it's some quest grind. If you don't enjoy that part than pick another game.

• FawarendanFawarendan Member Posts: 98

Stupid story? GTFO now, this game is definitely not for you. Go play some counter strike.

Playing: Starcraft II.
    Played: Tibia, Ragnarok Online, Ultima Online, Guild Wars, World of Warcraft.
    Wanna play: Guild Wars 2, SW:TOR, Final Fantasy XIV, Diablo III.

Originally posted by Edli

Op said     :With the huge number of quests you do in a MMO, this is going to quickly turn into something players will immediatly hit 'escape' and skip (if that's even possible) for the sake of time."

For the sake of time? Why, what you're gonna do with that time? Story will be this game's strongest part and if you really hate to read or listen what is going on then yeah, that's not really a game for you. Quests of this game are not supposed to pick up blindly, finish it and turn it like it's some quest grind. If you don't enjoy that part than pick another game.

Well when I played ME for the second/third time I hit space quite often, I was more into shooting stuff with different class...but thats just me...

I dont wanna sound bitchy (tired of the afterflaming) but this game is for the type of WoW players (you all said it, and thats why all the "like wow" answers) and most of todays WoW players use quest finders/quest guides/power lvling etc... Tho for example the warlock quests (or raid quests) are really interesting...today players want to hit the level cap and do PvP pwning...

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

Well when I played ME for the second/third time I hit space quite often, I was more into shooting stuff with different class...but thats just me...

I dont wanna sound bitchy (tired of the afterflaming) but this game is for the type of WoW players (you all said it, and thats why all the "like wow" answers) and most of todays WoW players use quest finders/quest guides/power lvling etc... Tho for example the warlock quests (or raid quests) are really interesting...today players want to hit the level cap and do PvP pwning...

I don't really plan to go over the same content several times. Plus every class have it's own story. The op though thinks that this will be the typical quest grind. For some it may be but not for me. I will approach it like it's kotor 3 and enjoy the story. For those who have a hard time with this part, will most likely get disappointed. This game will attract mostly bioware's fans and they want the typical bioware game. We're just waiting to see how they will translate it to a mmo.

I don't really plan to go over the same content several times. Plus every class have it's own story. The op though thinks that this will be the typical quest grind. For some it may be but not for me. I will approach it like it's kotor 3 and enjoy the story. For those who have a hard time with this part, will most likely get disappointed. This game will attract mostly bioware's fans and they want the typical bioware game. We're just waiting to see how they will translate it to a mmo.

The same for me..Im not all that SW uberfan but I did enjoy Kotor a lot...for me its Kotor 3 all the way, I actually dont really care about the MMO part..Im going to enjoy my evil sith inquisitors story full of treason, politics and murders :P

• AeternumAeternum Member Posts: 38

It gives me great sorrow to tell you that you wont be able to do jumping-jacks and run around while you receive quests. This is not WoW. Also, you are not forced to play this game. Bioware doesnt hold your family as hostages.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

How did he not have something to say?

The story is half the game. If you're actually not into the story stuff, this game likely ISN'T for you. You'd be better off with one of the other MMO's coming soon after.

I tried a lot of times to read and understand the quests of wow but just couldn't. The way they are presented with that block of text, the lack of depth. Really had a hard time trying to enjoy it so I started using addons too. That's the problem. That game's primary form of leveling is by quests and if I don't enjoy it then it starts to feel like a grind. The whole process of leveling is boring and all you want is to reach the endgame. It's like trying to finish a game as soon as possible because you are not enjoying it.

That is what I think will change with SWtor. If the process of leveling is by quests then we better do em right. Would it bore me if it is high quality as ME? Not only it wouldn't but I don't want to even reach the end. Like those games that you hope go on forever. So the race to endgame is not an objective anymore. 

• storylessstoryless Member Posts: 158

Hey, a valid point is being made. It's very annoying when you lose camera control and then you get attacked by a NPC or even a PC character.

• DexterGrifDexterGrif Member Posts: 35

I can see how its an annoyance, its ment for a cinematic esque perception. Its a common thing in all Bioware games for that to occur. Luckily, Bioware is aware some people dislike waiting for dialogue to finish, so you can make your decision, skip the sequence and move on.

• when you go to talk to a guest giver you are phased or go into a mini instance( not sure which it really is, people keep calling it different things) that only you and your party members may enter.  so someone wouldnt be able to kill you while you are talking to the npc.  and no there are no loading screens when entering the phased area.

• Hendo0069Hendo0069 Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by storyless

Hey, a valid point is being made. It's very annoying when you lose camera control and then you get attacked by a NPC or even a PC character.

Pretty sure they said when you go into a dialogue sequence with an npc you phase out of the world till your conversation is over. Not entirely sure though.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

If you do indeed loose control for a little bit.. I can understand how that will be unatractive to some in an MMO.  This happens a lot in their single player games where a cut scene is used to advance the story.  Though im willing to put up with it in this game.    I enjoy biowares way of telling the story and advancing you though their games.  

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Hendo0069

Originally posted by storyless

Pretty sure they said when you go into a dialogue sequence with an npc you phase out of the world till your conversation is over. Not entirely sure though.

From the videos and blogs out there. It has been shown and said that the story quest givers are in rooms and places that have an opening with a green film over it. That tells you that you will be enterng an instance. The open to instance will be seemsless, but once inside, the NPC will be you and your party only. No chance of PvP or anythng else while in this story instance room. It will just be a way to tell the story as BW does in most of it's games. Outside in open areas where PvP may occur may be the typical quest giver. But no one has seen this yet, so we do not know. 

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Originally posted by Aeternum

It gives me great sorrow to tell you that you wont be able to do jumping-jacks and run around while you receive quests. This is not WoW. Also, you are not forced to play this game. Bioware doesnt hold your family as hostages.

Whew, that's a relief. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

If this was a game with a quest system like WoW, where the quest text DOESN'T MATTER and at best is kinda interesting and can become quite boring (and I LIKE Lore a lot), then the OP's concern would be a major problem.  It would slow down the game and you would just want to "get it over with" since they'd just talk about stuff that doesn't matter much.

Thankfully, the dialogue is actually part of the game, with choices and decisions that matter.  You don't want to turn in quests really quickly, grab new ones, and go back to the game.  Instead when you talk to someone that is something that involves you and your decisions just as much as combat does.  Since quest givers aren't just window dressing anymore, but more like "real" people, having the camera change and things focus on talking to the quest giver and how you and he react is a very good thing.

• TrobonTrobon Member Posts: 300

This is a legitimate concern and everyone here who is flippant about it are being way to defensive over a game that they have neither played nor made. That being said, I don't know if this is going to change. One of the major design choices that Bioware has seemed to go with is the ability to make choices within the dialogue. Now this by itself may not preclude skipping over things, but the multiplayer dialogue aspects will make it a lot harder I imagine.

Now I can't say that skipping dilalogue won't be an option. In fact I think it would be a very good idea for it to be one if we are all expecting over one million players. However, I wouldn't put a bet down on it being in the game.

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263

I don't like it either but I can live with it, I wouldn't make a thread about it tho.

• EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200

Why is STOR a MMO again? It's heavily instanced and heavily story based, it might as well be a single player game.. Online games were created as role-playing, there was nothing panned out for you, they revolved around social interaction in a immersive game world that had endless possibilites and players would group up and accomplish things that the developers had no intention of knowing what could happen..

Even after 12 years, Ultima Online is still one of the greatest MMORPG's and should be the ONE MMO that sets the examples for all the others..