Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weak 1yr Ban but game looks good

TaljinnTaljinn Member Posts: 81

Got this a little earlier today on the JG forums. Those guys are ultra sensitive, looking forward to the game though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojava1 View Post

I get the impression that Rockjaw hasn't a clue about any changes. Other than being a game set in space, it seems the devs are keeping there moderators in the dark.

Rockjaw

Getting down to the level of exactly how and what code was changed isn't actually something I feel I need to know right away. If the game's better because of what they changed, then that's all I need to know (and trust me, having played the pre-code change version, it is). That said, if someone wants that specific level of detail, I'll get it for them.

This is also the second time you've directly insulted me/Alpha in the space of two posts! Way to go, Mr Positive! Notice how the poster in question felt my response was reasonable? Why not take some time to think about making a positive contribution to the community while being banned.

Stephen 'Rockjaw' Reid

Community Director, Gazillion Entertainment

@JumpgateEvo || @Rockjaw

You have been banned for the following reason:

Insulting staff

Date the ban will be lifted: 06-18-2011, 07:00 AM

Edit/Delete Message

Comments

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

So why are you coming here to whine about it?  It didnt sound like your post was meant to be anything good, claiming someone working on the project  "has no clue". 

I agree with the ban.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by godzilr1

So why are you coming here to whine about it?  It didnt sound like your post was meant to be anything good, claiming someone working on the project  "has no clue". 

I agree with the ban.

How on Earth can you agree with that?  Lol, too funny.

The guy says he gets the impression that the mod does not have any clue about the changes and that it seems the developers keep the moderators in the dark.

Have you ever been to any forum for any game?  Seriously, what he said there was pretty damn nice in comparison to how people will call out moderators for being the inbred retarded limp mouthpieces of a useless company that does not give a crap about their customers.  You see far worse than what I just said all the time.

If this is legit, all I can say is forget the game.  I do not share the same enthusiasm the OP has for the game itself away from the forums.

I quit EVE because of some of the retarded stuff their folks said in forums.  I've quit WoW because of some of the retarded stuff their people have said on the forums.

Are they there to take abuse?  No, but many times they are there to hear what the community says - and that means that they face the high risk of not everybody grabbing their ankles and saying thank you.

Of course, this could all be a lie...but still, it was not about the usual garbage that everybody feels the need to post a million threads on - so it was slightly refreshing to read.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Comical, but unsurprising.  Official forums tend to be overmoderated by "little kings" who think its their holy mission to "protect" the community from the bad guys.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CymTyrCymTyr Member Posts: 166

I think a 1 year ban is seriously going overboard... but then again back when NCSoft introduced gameguard to Lineage 2 I got banned from the official forums permanently... for pretty much nothing.

Still, I think a year is a bit overboard.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

A 1yr ban for that comment seams extremely overzealous. i dont think it was insulting at all. just an obsevation.

i think it was during the AOC launch that i read a forum post of someone demanding to know the devs addresses so he could go burn down their houses. now that WAS woth a ban :)

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

Looks like you took it in the chin from the 'Banhammer of Doom +1'..

Bummer.. But to their defense, it is E3 week, they're all probably tired and a bit cranky.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

I didn't see anything worth a year there but then again I didn't look at the other post the little guy with the big ban button refers to either.

The game does look interesting though.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by plescure
    A 1yr ban for that comment seams extremely overzealous. i dont think it was insulting at all. just an obsevation.

i think it was during the AOC launch that i read a forum post of someone demanding to know the devs addresses so he could go burn down their houses. now that WAS woth a ban :)

I concur. The comment didn't deserve a response much less a ban. Someone has an ego problem.

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by Copeland

Originally posted by plescure

I concur. The comment didn't deserve a response much less a ban. Someone has an ego problem.

Seems like their boards needs a "Beware of manstruating Mods" sign. Sorta like this one... ;)

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I see nothing there that would constitute a warning, much less a ban. He was simply making an observation.

Hooray for overzealous moderation!

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Originally posted by MoJava1, Jumpgate Evolution Forums

Hit the nail on the head there, E3 is well underway and we still know very little about the gameplay. As for Rockjaw and Alpha, ignorant seems like the best description I've heard. Why in the world would Netdevil hire folks who have never played the game to moderate is beyond me.

I think the above post of yours might have contributed more to the reason for the ban.  Nonetheless, a year ban is still extreme.  Most forums have a tiered warning system; starting out with a warning, 24 hour ban, week ban, month ban and then year/perma ban.  Unless the user goes to some radical extreme like threatening bodily harm, there is no reason to jump to a year ban.  Sounds like it was an ego problem - I think you hurt rockhead's feelings.

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

I agree they have been over sensitive but also more informative and talkative. It is important to note that as far as I know they  just have the marketing people handleing the forum moderation because they let the hired moderater/community manager go because she was unable to move to Colarado and work from ND's headquarters. So they are operating without a propper cummunity manager still as far as I know and I do wish she was back. She was a lot of fun and pretty good at handleing us rowdy bunch of  space geeks.

Hang in there Taljinn I hope to see you in JGE when it launches. :)

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Honestly, this is one of my bigger concerns with the game at the moment. I don't know about the devs because we don't really get to interact with them, but the community managers, especially Rockjaw, have been real toolbags to the community and honestly are putting a real bad image for the team in general. I constantly see them overreacting and making  condescending responses to the community, and yet when they recieve critisism they respond with snide comments and long bans. Not the way you want to run your game if you don't want to piss people off. Believe it or not, people WILL avoid your game if they feel the community is being abused.

He has to have someone that needs to keep him in line. I would go over his head and see if you can e-mail one of the devs and make it an issue. Maybe he'll grow up after someone talks to him about this crap.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I wish they would hand out more bans to people that post things just to call someone a name or troll with insults that have no point other than to show that you are a jerk.  Also, insulting the moderators or devs is always a bad idea.

That being said, the post that got the ban was pretty tame compared to much of what we see on a typical forum.  Maybe that guy was feeling particularly cranky that day, lol.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• sOnEsOnE Member Posts: 10

HaHa this is too funny. I like the comment about burning down the devs house.

I hate Codemasters, horrible customer service. I got a lifetime ban cuz I didn't update my adress with them.  Down with codemasters, they have fail games like RfOnline and they ban you just for voiceing yourself on their forums.  Damn commies

• whitelockwhitelock Member Posts: 17

Alpha is Netdevil and Rockjaw is Gazillion, niether are codemasters who don't seem to be on speaking terms with netdevil and Gazillion if you look at the lack of update on the EU site.

The ban does seem a  bit over the top, but the message from Rockjaw says the op insulted them twice in two posts, what was in the other post?

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

You have to pity community managers.  They face the community every day, and they only know what the devs (or the devs' managers) tell them.  They also almost never let the devs talk freely to players, so community managers also sort of create their own living hell, which is a form of justice.

And far be it from "working on the game", they are not artists, programmers, or designers, though often they may want to be.  They have nothing to do with making the game at all.  Community managers are PR people with the worst job of all, and are usually related to the marketing group.

And marketing, though necessary, is the root of all evil in the game industry.  They are the first to say something will be in the game that isn't, the last to tell us that somehting won't be, and the ultimate cause of all misleading hype.  I work in the industry, and I hate marketing with a passion.

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Not to pick sides, but the moderator said he was insulted 2 times in 2 posts. You realy can't pass judgement on someone without hearing the full story. Both parts not just one. The mod could either be out of line, or he could be really pissed off about the first post.

Meh (shrug) just my 2 pennys. Rub them together or throw them at each other .. i care not which (lol)

Work hard Play Harder

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

So the whole only child mentality got you burned, then you come here to QQ about it?

Honestly, insulting mods in 2 posts in a row (remember we didn't see his other post) is gonna get you banned. Remember, YOU DIDN'T PAY FOR ANYTHING. You don't have a RIGHT to play. It's a luxury.

If you weren't even in the beta, and you were just trolling, then good riddance.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

The site and forums are owned by ND.  They police them how they like, they are allowed to.  It's theirs. 

Lets suppose that one of the guests at a party at your house began to insult YOU in front of everyone.  Not just once, but twice. You'd expect them to retaliate and throw you out on your ass.  And that's exactly what they've done.  Yes, they should have "thick skins" but it seems you over stepped the line between was is acceptable and what isn't.

Take responsibility for your actions OP, and don't whine when people take offense at your stupidity.  Next time, perhaps give a little thought as to how your remarks can be taken personally.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I was following this game for almost 2 years.. For awhile there, it almost seemed dead in the water.. However it sprung new life, but this Rockjaw mod seems to enjoy his trolling on their own forums.. I find him unprofessional and because of that, I will not be looking at this game any further.. As the saying goes.. "A first impression is a lasting one", and Rockjaw just gave me a bad one.. You blew it JE.. good bye

• decoy26517decoy26517 Member Posts: 313

yeah I agree with the ban. The forum has rules that you agreed to. If you break those rules repeatedly, it will get you banned. It's the same way around here. Mock or insult the MMORPG staff and get a slap on the wrist. Same as with the JGE forums.

"World of Warcraft is the perfect implementation of this genre." - Hilmar Petursson. CEO of CCP.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Aristides

You have to pity community managers.  They face the community every day, and they only know what the devs (or the devs' managers) tell them.  They also almost never let the devs talk freely to players, so community managers also sort of create their own living hell, which is a form of justice.

CM's only say what the devs tell them they can say, not the other way around.

If you know of any devs that take orders from their CM's, let me know; so I can avoid whatever game they're making.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

Well I'll tell you that every dev (that's dev, not producers and the like, although some of them too) probably takes orders as far as what they can say and where they can say it directly or indirectly from the marketing/PR dept. So it would depend on a company' internal structure, and how much pull within that structure the CM has.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Originally posted by godzilr1

I agree with the ban.

Holy crap!  If SOE used those standards, everyone on the SWG Forums would have been banned within 2 months!  How about Developers grow some thicker skin as one way or another, someone is going to say you have no clue.

They banned him from that site, now he is posting on a third party site that gets more hits most likely.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.