Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just don't understand how pple enjoy this game THAT much.

Silver_LeafSilver_Leaf Member Posts: 135

First of, combat is turn based with all of your guys in a line. You pick which battles you enter, and while graphics are allright I wonder how much time is spent in the game world.

Secondly its one of those takes forever to reach level cap games.

I mean, what does this game have to deserve the position of BEST released game on mmorpg.com? Not to say it sucks, its just not my cup of tea. But seriously. The BEST game on mmorpg.com?

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Silver_Leaf

First of, combat is turn based with all of your guys in a line. You pick which battles you enter, and while graphics are allright I wonder how much time is spent in the game world.

Secondly its one of those takes forever to reach level cap games.

I mean, what does this game have to deserve the position of BEST released game on mmorpg.com? Not to say it sucks, its just not my cup of tea. But seriously. The BEST game on mmorpg.com?

First off, you need to like turn-based gameplay to enjoy it - why force yourself if it's not your thing?

Plenty of us have been doing it for decades and stil enjoy it.

Secondly, I got to level 70 of 120 in about a week. I didn't realize that was too long, but maybe I am just getting oooold.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Yeah it has its issues, and its not for everyone, but youve got to understand... most of us have been playing nearly the same exact game with 1 or 2 unique features in it, and renamed something different.... but essentially the same game, especially when it comes to combat mechanics (such as spamming hotkeys). The game offers something unique for MMOs and has a more strategic aspect rather than being all about who hits who first and has the better gear. So it isnt so much the quality of the game that make sit that high, but its originality. Surely someone else could make a bette rversion of a similar style game, but then we'd be getting back into the "clone" rut again. Im sure millions would say WoW is the best game too, but i strongly disagree, it all comes down to personal preference though.

• Silver_LeafSilver_Leaf Member Posts: 135

Agreed, it is not a WoW clone and we must give it credit for that. Agreed also that many people like turn based games, something I can't personaly wrap around in an mmo. However I don't think its rating is justified. I agree with the devs' rating, its average. Hell even a little above average. But definately the BEST game on MMORPG.com. And its a f2p asian grindfest.

And its a f2p asian grindfest.

Don't go throwing that around where it doesn't belong, the pacing in both this game and Aika are great. Just enough quests to complete and level on, then move forward - which is no different than "westernized quest grinds".

Its the quantity that matters. How long does it take to reach endgame? Most folks would probably never reach it.

WHy play a game if yo ucan't ever hit level cap?

Hell if I know, but I already said the first 70 levels took a week. It's really fast, but does slow down considerably at the end.

If you are looking for me to equate it to how fast it takes to maxout in WoW? Probably less than.

Well actually, there is a big obstacle at level 100 if I remember right, but it didn't seem that bad to me where I was.

Here's my question to you though - why play a game where you maxout quickly and find less things to do afterwards?

Did AoC not have this problem from the get-go? They just recently added the AA/reputation to amend that, and that's ment to last as long as it possibly can too. People are only interested *while* grinding, but bitch about it all the same. Once it's over they cry louder, you know this.

Doesnt work like that. First 10 levels of any mmo I do it in an hour. You took a week to get 1-70. Probably will take you a week to get from 100-101, and a year from 119 to 120 and you can finally start enjoying the game.

Doesnt work like that. First 10 levels of any mmo I do it in an hour. You took a week to get 1-70. Probably will take you a week to get from 100-101, and a year from 119 to 120 and you can finally start enjoying the game.

What goes on in your head?

There is nothing to do at level 120 besides pvp other lvl 120's and rehash the same end-game content - like... every... other... game... out there. Do you enjoy the endless repitition of endgame more than the first taste that comes with all the prior content that's made obsolete?

Some of you players are wicked strange to me.

These games don't *start* at endgame - they *END* there.

But don't you want to get to level cap ASAP so as to quit being bullied around by anyone? But I'm an achiever at heart so maybe its just me. However good and innovative this game is, I don't see how it could be THE BEST.

Bullied around? By who?

I really don't get where you are coming from, but last I checked, MMOs weren't high school.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by GTwander

What goes on in your head?

There is nothing to do at level 120 besides pvp other lvl 120's and rehash the same end-game content - like... every... other... game... out there. Do you enjoy the endless repitition of endgame more than the first taste that comes with all the prior content that's made obsolete?

Some of you players are wicked strange to me.

These games don't *start* at endgame - they *END* there.

Exactly. Peoples racing for endgame like there's something to do in there. It looks like they struggle during the leveling process so they can finish the game as soon as possible. Not realizing that the way to the endgame is the game and if you don't enjoy it than why even bother finishing it.

I've been a ff fan and atlantica has been a blast for me in the beginning. It's hard and it requires strategy. Pvp is fun and really unique. Plus I liked that historical aproach it took. Finally travelling around the real world and killing count Dracula and things like that.

Well, so it isn't exactly an achiever's cup of tea. Many people arn't, so its good that you folks got your own mmo. However, don't you think it is a little overrated? Seriously, is this the BEST game on the list?

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Well, so it isn't exactly an achiever's cup of tea. Many people arn't, so its good that you folks got your own mmo. However, don't you think it is a little overrated? Seriously, is this the BEST game on the list?

I don't think it is the best. It was just a fun and unique experience for a while. When I reached lv 80 or so the game lacked content, at least for the time and I got bored. I was just killing mobs just for the sake of leveling. Not anything else to do but farm and some pvp. It was just a nice change for a while.

We are referring to *every* game when we speak about racing to endgame. It's never been any different, so don't jump us for being F2P-loving heathens.

Well you miss the main point here. I love RTS and many people don't. Lots of people probably like turn based strat and I hate it immensely. However the point is if this game really deserves its place at the top of the list. To be honest, I suspect either all the fanbois came and screwed up the rating or the devs did it themselves, which is common for unscuperous f2p enterprizes, especially those in my part of the world (asia).

Same reason as eve but that is a little more subjective, some people may really think its that good but I think mostly swarms of fanbois. But this is clearly NOT the best, even the staff agree and gave it a 7.5 (average).

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I love turned based. Turn-based strategy has always been more of a thinking man's game than RTS. RTS is mainly how fast you can left click and drag and then point those troops at something. In TB you have to plot out that if I do this, then he does this, then I can do that, like chess.

Anyway, I did actually play this F2P (I know, pick your jaws up for those who know me on here) and did enjoy it until I figured out that mounts help you in PvE AND PvP (and make a significant difference) and that the better mounts have to be bought via the item mall. Add on to that you buy a mount box and it's randomized.

No thanks.

If it has changed since then, good for them. They had their chance with me and I don't often come back to a game that I give up for reasons akin to this.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Well I believe quick thinking is the key and there is no skill in playing chess where you have 10 years if you like to think of your next move. But thats not the subject of debate. The fact is even the staff here rates it an 'average' 7.5 and I would give it a low actually (partly due to imba cash shop). The cash shop is really... too much to put it in civil terms. Most games with cash shop (like Dragonica, the one I'm playing) provide stuff that either speed up what would take slightly longer (exp multiplyers), cosmetic features (nice outfits). It is going in very dangerous terriroty by allowing RMT to gold transactions but that actually makes the next point slightly better.

Unfortunately DGN has also started giving out cash items with +stat, though they are rather... minor.

The point is, if you're going to put in a cash shop, the stuff in the cash shop had better not affect gameplay OR there should be a way for those with $0.00 in their bank account to get it. Like the way DGN has done it, gold to cash.

However, there is a risk of gold inflation as everyone goes for the more desirable cash. THerefore, they have learnt well from eve. Total gold earned by all players = NEARLY equal to total gold lost by all players.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I personally thought that it was rather boring but I have no problem to understand that some players like it. Taste differs.

I have only liked one turn based online game and that was the original "Neverwinter nights" from SSG (or was it SSI, I never remeber that). That was kinda the grandpa to MMOs together with the muds, don't confuse it with Biowares game that used the same name in honor of the first game.

I do think you again could make a turn based online game that would do it for me personally but Atlanticas combat just was way to simple for my taste.

But fans of the Suikoden games might love it. And some people think less is good and prefer fewer options, many modern MMOs really go to far with different types of attacks and combat skills.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

I played it for a bit and liked it alot actually.

My only problem is that, especially with an MMO, I would like to see more content as far as unlockable progression goes. I made it to 40ish in this game, before I realized it didn't really have what I was hoping it had. It has a few unlockable things, but not exactly what I was hoping for. (I mean Final Fantasy Mime/Ninja type stuff)

Originally posted by TheHatter

I played it for a bit and liked it alot actually.

My only problem is that, especially with an MMO, I would like to see more content as far as unlockable progression goes. I made it to 40ish in this game, before I realized it didn't really have what I was hoping it had. It has a few unlockable things, but not exactly what I was hoping for. (I mean Final Fantasy Mime/Ninja type stuff)

If you were guilded then you'd find much more content. Owning a namesake city on the mapface comes with it's own benefits, and you can build decorations like houses and trees that raise various parameters of the overall city's worth, as well as convince wandering NPCs of various jobtypes to emigrate to your town. I started having a blast once I got into a city-owning guild.

Plus, the grouping mechanics need mentioning, because you'd have to be a complete fool to avoid grouping up regardless of the distance. You get freebie xp for your lowest lvl merc and can trade monster info back and forth. There was tons of little things like that to enthuse being sociable, but you had to have taken that first step to even notice it.

Problem is that there is just not much to do. Turn based combat gets old, same toons, same skills. Imagine playing chess with 5 pieces. Repeatedly. For 2 hours.

• MizakoMizako Member Posts: 31

Atlantica has a way much more to do on high lvls than most other games. To the OP: did you reach the lvl cap to say that it takes forever? AO is one of the easiest lvling games I've played. You don't need to kill 100500 monsters to get a lvl, you just do nice easy quests, get nice reward and see how your exp bar fills. I have played AO for more than a year and I still think this is definitely one of best MMO.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Problem is that there is just not much to do. Turn based combat gets old, same toons, same skills. Imagine playing chess with 5 pieces. Repeatedly. For 2 hours.

Which is a lot more fun than most other MMORPGs, which is like playing "Whack-a-mole" Repeatedly.

Atlantica has its problems, but turn based combat isn't one of them. If you don't like, why not play any of the other 100s of cookie cutter real time combat games?

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

In my opinion both sides are right.

The root of it all is in this poll, which was around the release of Atlantica. When the upper bar hit the 400-500 mark, several newly made accounts appeared in this mmorpg.com forum and praised every new little item shop thing "Oh, this will be sooo cool" for a long time. Just go several pages back and you will find all the "Be a NINJA", "beautiful new mount" etc threads. There was some enthusiastic marketing, for 10 pages full of threads at least, I guess.

I like this game, but all the things around it left a bitter taste.

• RammurRammur Member Posts: 575

Actually very simple everyone is diffrent everyone likes diffrent foods nobody like the same thing same goes too games.