Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official site updated - New Trailer, looks very nice.

GoggyGoggy Member Posts: 84

http://www.riftgame.com/en/

New trailer to coincide with E3 and a fe other things.

Also a big explanation on how the Soul Attunement system (skills tree)  works

Comments

• pittelpittel Member UncommonPosts: 34

I am still surprised how good this game is looking.  Trion just needs to  get  more marketing and dev teams talking with folks.

• lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

I would love to be able to read and see more about the combat system, to be able to compare with the very impressing one of Guild Wars 2 and their events.

• BurnthebedBurnthebed Member Posts: 443

This game came out of no where for me haha. I literally just heard about it like 2 weeks ago.

Looks really well polished so far (based on screens and vids) but we'll see how it turns out. Hope it does well, show what a smaller dev team can do!

The sleeper awakes...and rides his dirtbike to the mall.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Originally posted by Burnthebed

This game came out of no where for me haha. I literally just heard about it like 2 weeks ago.

Looks really well polished so far (based on screens and vids) but we'll see how it turns out. Hope it does well, show what a smaller dev team can do!

Well, it's not really a small dev studio.  Trion is one of the most well funded and professionally backed development companies out there.  I believe they have 3 separate studios working on three separate MMOs, with a 4th studio, in Austin I think, working on the shared architectural / technological platform they invented.  Last I heard they had at least 150 million in backing.

Nonetheless, Rift is showing the potential for a true next-gen MMO, in features, not just graphics, and it is indeed looking quite good so far.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Burnthebed

I would not call them a smaller dev team.  They have a $100 million in funding and some of the best and most expereinced devs in the business.  Their devs have worked on 27 released MMOS with lots of experience from EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, DAOC and Warhammer.

Edit:  My apologies I just read the post above mine and he said a lot of the same.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Been following this game for a while, hoping it turns out to be something to appeal to the PvE crowd that gravitate towards EQ and Vanguard type games.  Must say I'm not thrilled about another 2 faction based system, but we'll see where it goes.

• Osias000Osias000 Member Posts: 110

Happy to see the soul system spelled out this game is just looking awesome. The new vid was pretty cool too.

"cinnamon buns"
    - Pickles

• cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197

They are sort of slowly ramping up the 'hype' engine. It is nice that they've not been just hyping it to no end so far, but I imagine they won't go to the opposite extreme and just stay quiet until release now.

Oh, 8.5 minute video from E3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLBYiTQnnuY (sound not great, but still interesting).

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Originally posted by Margulis

Been following this game for a while, hoping it turns out to be something to appeal to the PvE crowd that gravitate towards EQ and Vanguard type games.  Must say I'm not thrilled about another 2 faction based system, but we'll see where it goes.

I agree with you although i don't think it will be as much an issue in this particular instance.  Reason being, everything i've seen and read (which is pretty much all of it, been following this project since it was Heroes of Telara and the articles were talking about their server systems) the game is not going to be PVP focused.  From what i understand its going to work a lot like original EQ, in that there will be a majority of PVE servers, with a few PVP servers for the open world types, and then there will be WOW style battlegrounds available on all servers.

The trap they DESPERATELY need to avoid falling into, is the same trap that WOW fell into; trying to balance classes/skills for PVE and PVP at the same time.  Its been proven time and time again to be IMPOSSIBLE.  The only way around it is to either create a different set of skills for PVP, or the existing skill have altered effects for PVP vs PVE.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche