Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving around.

freizofreizo Member UncommonPosts: 17

Ok, I havn't played the game, but watched some clips.

Is it just me or does the moving in Tera feel a bit unsmooth, walking around turning different directions?

Im pointing at the transition between the squares building up the grid on the ground.

The bigger squares building the grid the more unsmooth the walking will be, like Archlord.

I must mention WoW, sry :P, but that grid is perfect, almost making the character "independent" from the ground, if you know what I mean. Walking is smooth in all directions without big turning angles according to the grid on the ground.

In this video you can see what I mean, running forward with mouse look is smooth, but when you use strafe the character just align to the grid 45 degrees or more :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cseZPTmgMHI

Sure this is not that big of a deal, but in WoW I really enjoyed the smooth freelook and pristine movement in ALL directions.

If you dont understand what I mean I may post a nicely done paint picture ;P.

Give me your own opinion, thoughts or facts about this.

Comments

• dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192

man i totally get what your saying. most people dont even notice things like this and i dont see how. fluidity of movement and just fluidity in general can make or break a game for me. wow does an exceptional job at this. but im not worried about tera, its still in production and im sure there is a lot of polish and fine tuning that will take place before release

• DiExMachineDiExMachine Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by freizo

Is it just me or does the moving in Tera feel a bit unsmooth, walking around turning different directions?

Im pointing at the transition between the squares building up the grid on the ground.

The bigger squares building the grid the more unsmooth the walking will be, like Archlord.

I must mention WoW, sry :P, but that grid is perfect, almost making the character "independent" from the ground, if you know what I mean. Walking is smooth in all directions without big turning angles according to the grid on the ground.

In this video you can see what I mean, running forward with mouse look is smooth, but when you use strafe the character just align to the grid 45 degrees or more :

Sure this is not that big of a deal, but in WoW I really enjoyed the smooth freelook and pristine movement in ALL directions.

I would say for right now what technical demos they have and builds from the Korean beta version will be whats in at the start of Western beta.  Then as the beta's progress (probably going to be 2 or 3 of them) they will transfer in rendering and lines in to both versions., hopefully making it better.  I believe the Koreans will get it before us.  They hopefully will be a good semi-gold tester audience.

I would suggest making the same post on their forums, the mods and devs seem to like to talk to everyone.  Heck, you could send a private message to one of the developers accounts on the forums and ask the question directly.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by freizo

I was in the 2nd focus test group for TERA and I will tell you depending on the class you pick makes a huge difference in movement during combat. Movement is very different then in WoW in a few aspects, Firstly when in combat mode you move slower in general, also certain attacks in TERA will force you not able to move and some will force you forward with momentum. I didnt have much issues with the movement system exce[t with the Slayer class. I am pretty sure people who love how combat works for WoW wont like TERA's combat unless your looking for something more action based.

If you want more details or something else you want to know, you can PM me about it.

• trembulanttrembulant Member Posts: 101

The terrain mesh is what your referring to?

The number of polygons has nothing to do with at which degree the character strafes.

That is all how the character movement is coded, that's all.