Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What’s your most favored enemy MOB in an mmo?

DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

So what do you tend to hunt the most, or hunted? As the classic ranger has a favored enemy, I’m sure many players have their own grudges regarding particular mobs and hunt them relentlessly. So what is yours? And is/was there a particular game that made hunting that MOB the best fun and why?

---

Ok, typically I like to hunt undead. However, the one mob I’ve probably hunted the most was in UO and it was the Poison Elemental. Few hunted this MOB, it was very dangerous and no one liked to get poisoned to say the least. This too was before all the crazy resist armor, before UO went item based more or less, so it was a deadly game that didn’t even pay very well heh.

It took serious skill and determination to stay alive… though not always with the greatest of success. Other players even used to thank me for keeping the dungeon clean, because it was a vicious, nasty, vile, ugly creature and players hated to even see the Poison Elemental tag flash onto the edge of the screen. Die PE Die!

It's 10PM, do you know where your MOB is at?

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

Comments

• LotosSlayerLotosSlayer Member Posts: 247

Anarchy Online cyborgs in Mort. Probably the one mob I killed most in any MMO. They gave a ton of exp and were so challenging since the people in your party were usually around level 100, the cyborgs were around 170. One add and your party is screwed.

Also a special mention to FFXI goblins, I can't tell you how many times my parties have wiped because of them spawning near our puller or camp. >.< Ah the memories.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

Frogloks. 

I was so damned happy when they added the froglok illusion potions to alchemy in EQ by Iksar BST became a froglok pretty much permanently. .  I loved farming seb and guk, some of my favorite zones of all time in any game.

*FROAK*

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

Not sure what my favorite is, but my LEAST favorite are Murlocs from WoW and Devourers from GW.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I couldn't think of anything in particular which was my favorite to fight but I have a favorite thing that mobs said.  The orcs in East and West Commons in EQ always loved to shout, "You have ruined your own lands, you'll not ruin mine!"

In hindsight it appears almost prophetic if you imagine they were talking to SOE.  Unfortunately it would seem the orcs lost their battle to preserve their lands.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Used to be the number 1 killer of players. Before the nerf. Might still be.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I used to love killing the Sand Giants in South Ro (Everquest 1). The Spectres were pretty neat too, "DIE!.......DIE!".

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Well, I must say my favorit mob in any MMO thus far has got to be the Mursaat from GW. When you first meet them they have a skill called Spectral Agony that does 24 pips of health degen(caps at 10, but makes it a bitch to counter), attack move and use skills 80% slower, and deals 81 dmg per second for 5 seconds. This deals 600 damage, where the average health in the game is about 500. This combined with the damage that they tend to do as a group usually made it a death sentence.

Later in the game you can get a special upgrade on your armor that reduces the effect, but I will never forget the first time I ran at them going "How hard can they OH MY GOD, RES ME RES MEEEEEE" *party wipe*

Afterwords I enjoyed them because of their specific builds and just their overall design as enemies.

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

Imps in Rubies of Eventide. However i always ended up killing their babies as the older ones were way too dangerous. Half a second of lag was enough time for them to cast their devastating, 1-shot kill spell. That was one reason i hated em so much. Then it was that my character was like chaotic good while they were like lawful evil. Last but not least it was that every powerplayer would have one of these imps as a pet even if they were supposed to be good-aligned themselves and the server was about roleplaying, cause it was the best pet of the game.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Leets in AO.  Whenever I come across a person that takes on an elitist attitude about a game, I always picture the Leets from AO.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Any undead in Unrest once my pali got a GhoulBane back in 01.

Other than that, I used to like to kite the tables in Po Fire with my nec. Huge solo exp.

CoX I used to like knocking any mob off the side of a cliff, watching them run back up, then knocking em off again. The only re-deeming quality I found in that game(Played at launch).

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322

Balrons in old school UO

• VladanVladan Member UncommonPosts: 36

Krayt Dragon Ancients from SWG. Always made me all fuzzy inside when I downed one on my own.

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

Originally posted by Moaky07

Any undead in Unrest once my pali got a GhoulBane back in 01.

Wicked cool, Dude! EQ1 did undead really well. One of the reasons I'm keeping an eye on World of Darkness is in hopes of it having a regular human class that hunts undead mobs and undead players. But EQ1 definitely had the undead thing going, was really fun to camp 'em.

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

For soloable mobs, it was Chief Goonda in EQ:

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I always like bashing skeletons.  I like the sound when they fall apart.

• negentropynegentropy Member Posts: 241

Plague Beast Lord in UO. They are slow moving, but they never forget, so just when you think you've outrun it... image

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill
  • ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by Daywolf

So what do you tend to hunt the most, or hunted? As the classic ranger has a favored enemy, I’m sure many players have their own grudges regarding particular mobs and hunt them relentlessly. So what is yours? And is/was there a particular game that made hunting that MOB the best fun and why?

---

Ok, typically I like to hunt undead. However, the one mob I’ve probably hunted the most was in UO and it was the Poison Elemental. Few hunted this MOB, it was very dangerous and no one liked to get poisoned to say the least. This too was before all the crazy resist armor, before UO went item based more or less, so it was a deadly game that didn’t even pay very well heh.

It took serious skill and determination to stay alive… though not always with the greatest of success. Other players even used to thank me for keeping the dungeon clean, because it was a vicious, nasty, vile, ugly creature and players hated to even see the Poison Elemental tag flash onto the edge of the screen. Die PE Die!

It's 10PM, do you know where your MOB is at?

Liches were my most favorite kill in UO.  They dropped nice loot and you never knew when they might pull out a Flamestrike and smoke you.  There was a secret mage city in a mountain cave that had lich spawns all around it and reagent vendors in town.  The perfect hunting spot.

EQ had alot of fun mobs to kill.  Anything humanoid was fun because of the crunchy sound effects when you got a good melee hit on one.  Plus they ran at 20% health which made the snare casters important.

My youtube MMO gaming channel