Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

single player sandbox

Mr_WolfxMr_Wolfx Member Posts: 176

I'm wondering if theres any games out there like haven and hearth or xyson except singleplayer. Games that let you build houses and farms and just kinda live life out in the wilderness.

Yes I have a dream… And its not some MLK dream for equality. …I wanna own a decommissioned lighthouse …And I wanna live at the top… And nobody knows I live there. …And theres a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space.

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Not too many games out there your desiring I would recommend Red Dead Redemption for more of a open world type/sandboxish game no world building or houses, another game that is coming out in the fall would be Fable III which I hear that will have world building and management involved when you become king and queen of the kingdom, and Fallout New Vegas another game with sandbox elements and world exploration, other than that all I can think of. The prospect of single player sandbox games sounds pretty interesting .

• DrOrpheusDrOrpheus Member Posts: 46

There's three games that come to mind.

- Second Life.* This is a free MMO that allows you to play and interact with thousands of others. In this game you can create and view other peoples creations - be it clothing, houses, scenic areas and even cities. There's a lot of stuff to do.. sadly, it's not a game for people who want to 'play'. It's more of a role playing game (as in dressing up, creating stories, etc). ~ Here's a pretty good summary of the game.

* I know you said single player, but I thought I'd still throw this out there. You don't really have to interact with others if you don't want to.

- Dwarf Fortress. I don't expect you to like this game (not many people are - simply because it's too overwhelming and the interface is like something straight out of the 70s). Basically, in this game you control a small group of villagers where you slowly turn that village into a thriving kingdom. Think of this game like SimCity meets Civilization - but with dwarfs. Like I said, this has a very bad interface.. but you can get 'tilesets' to make the game look a bit better.

- MineCraft. I haven't played much of this game. What I do know is you play as a miner or some sort and pretty much dig your way into the world. You can create awesome caves, houses, and all sorts of things. Here's a video showing multiplayer gameplay (it's not strictly multiplayer, you can play by yourself.). Don't know if there is farming or anything..

And they're all free! - Aside for Second Life, which technically is free, but you need to purchase 'linden dollars' (in-game currency) to buy stuff. Though you don't need to.

• KirijiKiriji Member Posts: 340

You could try Unreal World, which is an roguelike were you try to live out your life in the Finish wilderness in the dark ages, its pretty hard but rewarding, you can build a house and farm and stuff which takes ages, and you have to hunt for food by fishing, spear/bow or trapping which is cool. You can also craft alot of things from the animals you hunt like clothing and hides for trading. Theres also seasons and you ahve to make sure you have enough food stored for winter or else your in the shit.

Theres  Stranded 1 and 2 were your shiprecked and you try and survive on a desert island by what you can find and kill, its pretty cool for a free game.

• ExploriumExplorium Member Posts: 395

Originally posted by Bladeinhand

You could try Unreal World, which is an roguelike were you try to live out your life in the Finish wilderness in the dark ages, its pretty hard but rewarding, you can build a house and farm and stuff which takes ages, and you have to hunt for food by fishing, spear/bow or trapping which is cool. You can also craft alot of things from the animals you hunt like clothing and hides for trading. Theres also seasons and you ahve to make sure you have enough food stored for winter or else your in the shit.

Theres  Stranded 1 and 2 were your shiprecked and you try and survive on a desert island by what you can find and kill, its pretty cool for a free game.

I'm not sure if I would like Stranded...it looks meh to me. But I'll give it a try eventually, not on my top list. Graphics are suitable enough...but it seems a bit weird. Tower defense? Colored block things? I dunno...guess its aiming for more fun than realism, which is fine. Like I said, I'll definitely try it sometime. I always liked the idea of being stranded on an island or being lost somewhere :P Since I don't really need to be around people anyway, I'm pretty anti-social in real life. 

Unreal World on the other hand is awesome so far. Its definitely pretty hard, but I love it. Enough to pay for it. :) Sure graphics aren't, OMG THESE ARE AWESOME...they are 2d graphics. Not really that great of 2d graphics either (not in my opinion anyway)...but the gameplay itself is a lot of fun. You have a lot of choices when making a character. I started out in the middle of nowhere in an abandoned camp. Away from people and civilization. Fits me perfectly. And I love the outdoors and nature. I'm still learning things...but I like all the things you can make and use...and like Stranded, its really all about survival. :) This is one of my favorite games I've played in a while...it would be my top 10 list if the graphics were slightly better. But I'm still lovin' it.

(edit)

Stranded is out. My friend tried it, and he said there was tons of graphical glitches...so if that is indeed correct, I'm skipping it.

I highly recommend Unreal World, though...if you like sandbox/RPGs/survival games...its awesome :D

Check out my nature/animal/relaxing music channel on Youtube!

My game channel on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/vendayn