Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This site is filled with hate, and no one stops them

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Dear Mr. Stradden, MMORPG team

I am here for many years, and for a long time I had enjoyed being here. I took some absence for a time, trying to get some distance after finding my positions and argumentations confronted with personal attacks and the most low mockery ("get a job and move out of your basement") on and on, and I am just tired of it. I understand a moderator can not see and control everything. But the way people are treated here, not just me but others as well... it has just evolved in a way I don't want to face anymore. I know a popular website like yours probably won't care, but it is my necessary act to say it nontheless. This site has too much become a place of hate and attacks.

As such, I can not tolerate to spent time in a place where I am not protected from personal attacks. I am sure those who always just wanted to silence me will rejoice in what shallow victory they can claim. May it be so. I do not make myself further the object of people's hate, so I am taking my leave. Permanently.

As to you who only had hate and mean words for me: may you find what you gave to others. You are so full of hate and anger, I pity the life you lead. It is a sad way of dealing with other human beings, and life is too precious, too short to waste it with being bad to another just because you disagree with him. Maybe one day you think about it what you doing to others.

Elikal

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

That's because the moderation around here has been bad for a long time.   You get a warning for the stupidest things and yet some people can nerd rage and personally attack others and nothing is done.     Such are the forums of MMORPG.com.   I seriously doubt they'll change anytime soon.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by Teala

That's because the moderation around here has been bad for a long time.   You get a warning for the stupidest things and yet some people can nerd rage and personally attack others and nothing is done.     Such are the forums of MMORPG.com.   I seriously doubt they'll change anytime soon.

Agree

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• VoltlivesVoltlives Member Posts: 280

I am sorry that things lead you to feel this way.  Truly.  However, when I enter the internet world I never, under any circumstances do so believing I will be avoiding conflict of some type.  There are conflicting generations, ideals, opinions, and tempers that will always want to give their minds.  Be them healthy or otherwise.  Especially entering the world of an MMO forum where emotions can be high about something that some person has a strong belief for / against.  Moderation to a degree is expected to make sure a line is never crossed, I can appreciate that request.  But you have to approach these free opinion environments with a thick skin, there are going to be things that people say intentionally or unintentionally that are going to raise hairs.  I wish the best, but just keep in mind the world can be an ugly place be it virtual or real.

END OF LINE_

~V

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I saddens me. I enjoy talking to people about games. Even if their idea is totally against mine. For instance, often I found myself in different opinions like Imhotepp. But he writes and argues well, and so I respect him and value his opionion. Even when I disagree.

But I get too much mockery and hate these days. For long time I said, I don't want to give the place to haters. But they won. They defeated my will. I hope they are happy, because I am surely not. What kind of people is it who enjoys to break another just for the sake of disagreeing on a GAME? I don't get it, but I get that for the sake of my personal peace I won't stay in a place where I am target practice for people's mockery.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by sevitoth

Agree

Double agree.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Elikal

I saddens me. I enjoy talking to people about games. Even if their idea is totally against mine. For instance, often I found myself in different opinions like Imhotepp. But he writes and argues well, and so I respect him and value his opionion. Even when I disagree.

But I get too much mockery and hate these days. For long time I said, I don't want to give the place to haters. But they won. They defeated my will. I hope they are happy, because I am surely not. What kind of people is it who enjoys to break another just for the sake of disagreeing on a GAME? I don't get it, but I get that for the sake of my personal peace I won't stay in a place where I am target practice for people's mockery.

Here is what I do.    Up next to the person name is the word Report and the word Block.   Just click Block if they are makin a personal attack and if you must you can also report.    That is the best way to handle these forums.   Do not leave though.   MMORPG.com has a lot of good people that post here.   They are active participants in some great discussions.    Do not let a few bad apples spoil all the good things this website offers.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I have sometimes wondered if all the RNG that certain games have tried to get rid of over the years ended up in the Logic Machine used for why certain posts (and even threads) disappear while others remain.

edit:  I'm surprised this thread has not vanished already, btw... but that would probably make sense.

edit 2:  Okay, perhaps I am just upset that the socio-economic thread was deleted...lalalala.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

You reap what you sow in public forums. 

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

There is more blatant stupidity than there is hate. Either way its all the same when you hate stupid people.

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

Controversy seeds activity, activity seeds more page hits, more page hits increases ad revenues. mmorpg.com is a million dollar business, NOT a reliable gaming/forum/discussion site. Get with the program or find somewhere else, unfortunately...

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

I completely agree.  I am tired of seeing people continuely get put down for voicing their opinions.  I came to this site to discuss MMORPG's, not to argue with every other person due to my certain point of views on different aspects of games.  Now granted, I love a good arguement.  It just gets to me when people call each other "trolls" and say things to others that may actually hurt them.  Some people get easily offended and the last thing I thought I would see on this site is people picking on people like they do in real life.  Atleast in real life we have some limits and authority.  Here it's a free for all and the moderators are calling other posters douches.  I have said in past posts personal attacks can get your point across which is on page 2 of my posts.  A couple of days after that post it came to me.  I was being an asshole.  No one should use personal attacks on someone to get their point across.  If you can't get it across in a formal manner, then you can not get your point across at all.

My Tab button is not working so excuse me for not indenting.  I had to edit because i pressed it and it posted.

Now, to my MMORPG.com moderators.  Why do you completely allow this kind of bashing?  People deserve to be respected and not treated like a piece of trash.  Calling others "Douchebags" is not a very good role model for this site.  If needed I will search through your posts and find them.  I assure you, they are there.  Until I see a change in this site, you will see no more pepsi1028 on this site.  Yeah, you can say "Who needs him anyways..." But I am one of many who agree and some may follow and many will not.  That is all I have to say....

Pepsi1028

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• RhadovanRhadovan Member Posts: 22

I am more of a forum lurker than a poster. I to have noticed the angst. Is there another website similar to mmorpg.com that I can peruse? 

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Well, do you live in your parents basement?  Do you need to get a job?  I'm going to guess no to both.   Remember something, those that use personal attacks are by definition telling you that:

A) You are smarter than they are

B) They are mentally inferior and no longer able to develope a mature, well organized and supportive arguement

C) You won your point and they are just too immature to admit it

D) All of the above

Don't quit just because there are a LOT of dweebs that got/get their butts kicked all the time in High School and come to places like this and attack people like you in a failed attempt to boost their own self esteem.  Ignore them, their continued posting only serves in a failed attempt to fill the variable blackhole that is their own self worth.

Originally posted by Rhadovan

I am more of a forum lurker than a poster. I to have noticed the angst. Is there another website similar to mmorpg.com that I can peruse? 

As was mentioned in another thread (whether still there or not), it is good business for the site to allow a certain amount of angst - let the emotions flow - and have debates rage on...

...something to do with the manner in which the site generates revenue via ad displays.

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

This..

It's to the point now where I hit my stopwatch after clicking 'Post Message' to see how long it takes to flag me as a troll in a thread where people are shooting racial derogatories at eachother or the OP is nothing but bait.

It's so pathetic, it's actually amusing.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

A video game forums having lax moderation? Surely you jest my good sir! Honestly been banned more then enough simply on the basis people don't agree with what I say. Might not agree with what they say but I'm not out slapping a ban notice to admins. Cause either way still respect the other peoples position even if I don't agree about there words. Seriously some simple agreeing to disagree is all that is needed. You don't need an admin for everything to keep stuff civil, honestly.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• RhadovanRhadovan Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by VirusDancer

As was mentioned in another thread (whether still there or not), it is good business for the site to allow a certain amount of angst - let the emotions flow - and have debates rage on...

...something to do with the manner in which the site generates revenue via ad displays.

That I can understand. And I would agree. Still, I would like to read other sites and what not.  

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Latronus
    Don't quit just because there are a LOT of dweebs that got/get their butts kicked all the time in High School and come to places like this and attack people like you in a failed attempt to boost their own self esteem. Ignore them, their continued posting only serves in a failed attempt to fill the variable blackhole that is their own self worth.

See:

Originally posted by Latronus
    Remember something, those that use personal attacks are by definition telling you that:
    A) You are smarter than they are
    B) They are mentally inferior and no longer able to develope a mature, well organized and supportive arguement
    C) You won your point and they are just too immature to admit it
    D) All of the above

Something is tasting sweet.

Originally posted by VirusDancer

That I can understand. And I would agree. Still, I would like to read other sites and what not.  

A Google of the term may help.  I personally could not recommend any other site, and I could see them frowning on a thread discussing where people could go instead (since technically, that would cut into their revenue).

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

Use the Block option.   It's the only reason I can survive here.  So much drivel and nonsense I have to sift through... *clicks Block button*   Ahhhhh. :)

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I think some amount of hate and rage are natural human emotions. If you are not going to rage about games, WHAT THE HELL will you focus your aggression on?

Not like there is anything else bad happening in the world like

classism based on race or nationality

wars to support the classism

genocide

unprecedented extinction of flora and fauna

global warming

epidemic diseases

resistant strains of diseases

‘patent’ (also class-based) unequal access to medical care

or lite jazz.

I mean, all that stuff has been pretty much been fixed, at least as far as I can tell by watching most national cable channels.

We have world peace, the only things we really have to worry about are what Snookie and Paris H are wearing, the new Twilight book, and games.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Simple strategies to ignore the true trolls and flamers:

1) If you're personally attacked report the user and block the user. You'll never again see their post unless someone quotes it. It may be deleted it may not. IMO, this helps purge of the site of people who only want to insult others. They get enough warnings and deletions they will leave, or mend their ways. Don't respond to the trolls or flamers.

2) Grow a thick skin. Some people think that when others disagree with them they are being personally attacked. Don't be this guy/gal.

3) Realize this is a forum where people are going to have opposing viewpoints. Probably has more to do with thick skin. People are going to like things that you don't. You can't control that. Say your piece withtout retaliating with personal attacks.

4) There is no reason to write a 300 word response to someone else's response. I hate when people do this, and we end up with quote box the size of a 10 story building.

5) Again, don't respond to flamers/trolls. There is nothing worthwhile in it. Realize there are people here whose response to anything they disagree with is "UR A IDIUT! UR SO MORON!". Realize you're the smarter person. Don't jump in the mud after them. Don't respond to them. What good would it do to argue they're wrong? They obviously aren't that intelligent, so don't bother.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by brostyn

Simple strategies to ignore the true trolls and flamers:

1) If you're personally attacked report the user and block the user. You'll never again see their post unless someone quotes it. It may be deleted it may not. IMO, this helps purge of the site of people who only want to insult others. They get enough warnings and deletions they will leave, or mend their ways. Don't respond to the trolls or flamers.

2) Grow a thick skin. Some people think that when others disagree with them they are being personally attacked. Don't be this guy/gal.

3) Realize this is a forum where people are going to have opposing viewpoints. Probably has more to do with thick skin. People are going to like things that you don't. You can't control that. Say your piece withtout retaliating with personal attacks.

4) There is no reason to write a 300 word response to someone else's response. I hate when people do this, and we end up with quote box the size of a 10 story building.

5) Again, don't respond to flamers/trolls. There is nothing worthwhile in it. Realize there are people here whose response to anything they disagree with is "UR A IDIUT! UR SO MORON!". Realize you're the smarter person. Don't jump in the mud after them. Don't respond to them. What good would it do to argue they're wrong? They obviously aren't that intelligent, so don't bother.

I wish I were that strong. Fact is, when someone says something mean, it hurts me, no matter how silly. I am hurt. :(

• drkoracledrkoracle Member UncommonPosts: 120

They do care, I have been warned 2 times :) Not that I was trying to be edgy or mean I was just angry at the poster. I think they do a fine job of modding, if you want to see real hate go read the Youtube comments, I love them.

What you have to remember is that the person doesn't see you, he only sees your argument, and if he doesn't like it he will try to destroy it, they don't call it a war of words for nothing. I guarantee you if any forum was changed into a face to face meeting it would be very different.

If someone says you should move out of your moms basement use these simple steps:

1. Do you Care ? You seem to so move to Step 2.

2. Do you actually live in your mom's basement ? If yes move to Step 3, if not then you know its not true so it shouldnt bother you

3. Do you like it ? If yes, then it makes you happy and there is nothing wrong with wanting to be happy. If no move to Step 4.

4. Move Out and get a Job.

Hope this helps.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Elikal

Dear Mr. Stradden, MMORPG team

I am here for many years, and for a long time I had enjoyed being here. I took some absence for a time, trying to get some distance after finding my positions and argumentations confronted with personal attacks and the most low mockery ("get a job and move out of your basement") on and on, and I am just tired of it. I understand a moderator can not see and control everything. But the way people are treated here, not just me but others as well... it has just evolved in a way I don't want to face anymore. I know a popular website like yours probably won't care, but it is my necessary act to say it nontheless. This site has too much become a place of hate and attacks.

As such, I can not tolerate to spent time in a place where I am not protected from personal attacks. I am sure those who always just wanted to silence me will rejoice in what shallow victory they can claim. May it be so. I do not make myself further the object of people's hate, so I am taking my leave. Permanently.

As to you who only had hate and mean words for me: may you find what you gave to others. You are so full of hate and anger, I pity the life you lead. It is a sad way of dealing with other human beings, and life is too precious, too short to waste it with being bad to another just because you disagree with him. Maybe one day you think about it what you doing to others.

Elikal

Actually, we do care. A lot. That is why we have stepped up moderation significantly since the beginning of this year, and while the forums are still not perfect, no forums ever are. If you are being harassed, attacked, etc. by another user the best thing to do is to simply report them and not dignify them with a response. Our moderators patrol the forums constantly and review reports all the time. If you find that your report was not handled in a satisfactory manner you can feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] or [email protected] so I can look into the matter personally.

I disagree with those of you who are posting to say we are not doing enough, it's easier to notice the things we don't do than the things we do, especially when we do our jobs right. Our moderators work very hard day in and day out, and it is often a thankless job. While errors do occur, we have no issues admitting a mistake when one is made and correcting it.

Leaving the forums is certainly your choice, however, we encourage you to be part of the solution and help us identify posts/users that are in violation of our Rules of Conduct so we can do better at our job and provide you with forums that are conducive to constructive and intelligent discourse. That is our ultimate goal here.

I hope you'll stick around!