Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another MMO Bites The Dust - Cash Shop Stealthed In

12346

Comments

  • VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

    Quitting a game cos they introduce a cash shop rofl.

    Then you should not play MMOs, as all MMOs have cash shops. Official or un-official.

    In fact the official ones are better than the un-official ones as they have limited items and they actual are a deterrent to the un-official ones(i e gold sellers).

    Oh and it is not the devs that want cash shops it we the players that demand it. They are just responding to that demand, a demand from players who want to buy gold in game.

    And if cash shops help the game companies get more income and make better games then i for one are for them, even though i don't actual use them myself.

     

    PS: Even if the items are not fluff what does it matter, since i can buy gold and then go to the auction house and buy what ever item i feel like. If you want to rage, rage to gold buyers, your fellow players, as they are responsible for Gold sellers, a much greater evil then Cash shops.

  • RegomarRegomar Member Posts: 122

    I almost subscribed to this game today since it's on sale on Steam.  Then I saw it had a cash shop.  Thanks but no thanks.  I've been down that road before.  I agree with the OP.  I dont care what's in it, they dont spend the time to develop a cash shop just to sell two things.  Those XP buffs will likely be next :P  I've seen it before, and the cash shop in a P2P game is always the start of a quick milking before the updates stop coming or the plug is pulled.  or both over time.

  • rabidkiwirabidkiwi Member CommonPosts: 44

    they can do what they like with the cash store in my mind.. if it comes down to the answer "you cant kick ass and have fun without buying xyz from the item store" then maybe i will rethink playing.. but i dont see that happenning.... and if i can still have fun in it right now.. why would i stop my fun.

    and yes .. i do have principles.. but i tend to have a set of principles and a "soapbox" in real life.. this is a time to relax and play a game .. not start freaking out...

  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

    When a game is doing as bad as FE has been, what do you expect them to do to earn extra money? When they have trouble keeping players whom they've given the client to for free there's little option left but try and milk the players they have. I'm not going to argue over whether cash shops are good or bad as it's a matter of personal preference. As for it being a cash grab, sure I'll buy that, as they obviously need the cash (unlike many other companies).

    I view this as a necassary evil on their part at this point, they seem to be out of options, as obviously they're not getting an influx of players anytime soon. They've added quite a bit, tweaked functions added more pvp functionality, yet none of that helped raise their revenue, will a cash shop? Who knows, however, considering they have tried just about everything else I see it as they had little choice but to try.

    In the end it still most likely won't work, FE is a niche product there's no question about that, they've advertised all over and have little to show for it. Those who love the game may end up having to support them through microtransactions, as that may be the only way they survive the long haul.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson


  • CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

    MMO's either are shipping with a cash shop of some sort, or are having one added later.  Just seems to be the standard now, or its quickly becoming the standard. 

  • MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

    There's a right way and a wrong way to do cash shops in my opinion. WOW, EQ2, DDO all do it right. The offer cosmetic to minor convenience items that don't really disrupt the way the game is played. Allods does it so horribly wrong, it's in a league of fail all by itself. There is really no way to play Allods without using the cash shop.

  • vkaynevkayne Member Posts: 42

    Originally posted by kaiser3282

    Originally posted by lornphoenix


    Originally posted by Loktofeit


     
    Did you bother to look into this at all or did you just see exrtas available for a fee and freak out?

    It a matter of principle to some people, and there is there nothing wrong with that.

     Funny thing about principles is they only seem to apply to a very limited thing when it suits someone who wants to cry about something, but they dont stick to em. Do the people with these "principles" also pull over, turn off their car, throw away their drivers license, and refuse to ever drive again because "OMG someone with the same car as me drove by and they had more extras that they paid for an i dont have them and its not fair that they have a better car".

    Yeah, driving may not be the same situation as a game, but youre still sharing the road with those people, just like sharing the gamespace, yet you dont see people throwing a bitch fit because people bought extras for their own car with their own money, why does it bother people so much that someone else in a game has something they dont?

    Your analogies....they do suck..

  • Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

    For me, Cash Shop is a fail for MMOs, either F2P or P2P. I believe Cash Shops destroy MMOs, at least that part of MMOs I love the most. Those that agree with me know what parts I speak of. Those who do not agree never will understand, our point of views are too different to ever find common agreement.

    ...Yes Publishers and Developers can add Cash Shops in if they like, either from the beginning or later since I will never have a say in the matter....

    ...Yes Players can ask for Cash Shops in their MMO and utilize Cash Shops if they like, that is none of my business.

    There WAS a time not so long ago when P2P MMOs didn't have Cash shops (official ones that is). No, I have never and will never buy Gold/Items from a "Gold Seller". This is the one "crime" I wish I could buy a Hunting license for in real life.

    Now almost all P2P MMOs have a Cash Shop or will have one soon. For me this signals the end of my participation in MMOs and since FE now has one I will not be buying it and playing. I had been planning on going to FE once the F2P conversion goes live in LotRO... since I will never agree to a EULA or TOS for a MMO with a Cash Shop ever again. There I will play LotRO until F2P goes live and then never again.... I won't be cancelling my account and no you can't have my stuff... my Kin gets it.

    For the record I have agreed to EULA's and TOS's for MMOs with Cash Shops in the past, but after experiencing them I am now convinced that World of Warcraft wasn't the biggest destroyer of old style MMOs... Cash Shops are.... more directly the preference of many Players to want convenience rather than equality, instant gratification instead of well earned reward for perseverance and determination. MMO Publishers and Devs are giving the majority of Players what they want. What the majority of Players NOW want is not what MMOs gave them as they used to be designed, so MMO design is changing to accommodate what Players want now. I do not appreciate or agree with what most Players want from their MMO now in 2010.

    For those of you who have no problem playing MMOs with Cash Shops I sincerely wish for you to enjoy your MMO gaming as much as I did over the last decade. It's been a great ride, a very enjoyable hobby, but with the way I feel about Cash Shops, with the way I believe in the idea of "There should be no financial connection/portal between the real and the virtual in MMO Gaming" there is no place for a person like myself in MMOs now.

    LotRO will soon have CashShop... leaving it.
    EvE has plex..which is RMT same as Cash Shop... won't go back to EvE.
    FE now has CashShop, dangitall I was going here, not now.

    Until Cash Shops go away as a trend in MMO Game Design I will say 'Fare Well".

    I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    ...............
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

    Originally posted by vkayne

    Originally posted by kaiser3282

    Originally posted by lornphoenix

    Originally posted by Loktofeit

     
    Did you bother to look into this at all or did you just see exrtas available for a fee and freak out?

    It a matter of principle to some people, and there is there nothing wrong with that.

     Funny thing about principles is they only seem to apply to a very limited thing when it suits someone who wants to cry about something, but they dont stick to em. Do the people with these "principles" also pull over, turn off their car, throw away their drivers license, and refuse to ever drive again because "OMG someone with the same car as me drove by and they had more extras that they paid for an i dont have them and its not fair that they have a better car".

    Yeah, driving may not be the same situation as a game, but youre still sharing the road with those people, just like sharing the gamespace, yet you dont see people throwing a bitch fit because people bought extras for their own car with their own money, why does it bother people so much that someone else in a game has something they dont?

    Your analogies....they do suck..

     QFT. That anaolgy wasn't even in the ballpark of correctness.

    I also won't play an p2p MMO that has a cash shop, even if all the items are purely fluff. I will only play a game where everyone pays the same price and has equal access to all items. Sure there will always be a lot of people who have more time to play then I do, so in return they will have more and better items. But as long as the option is there for me to have earned the same items they did, I'm fine with that.

     

    As soon as someone can use cash to get more things then someone else, I'm out.

  • ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

    It seems to me that there's an awful lot of people who are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

    It boils down to a simple question for me - regardless of what else is on offer, regardless of who else does what, regardless of the latest distraction from the developer, regardless of the latest "OMG they've ruined the game" rants on the boards, am I having fun playing a game with good value from the subscription? If the answer is "yes" then I play on, if the answer is "no" then I cancel. Anything else is a red herring and no amount of principled self-importance from me will change it anyway.

    If a game offers me good entertainment and value for my subscription then I will happily play on, and I would be a fool to myself to do otherwise. Principles are about more important things in my life than whether or not a game has a cash shop that I am under no obligation to use.

  • sanskritsanskrit Member UncommonPosts: 95

    GW had a cash shop early on in the form of pvp unlock packs which gave a tremendous ingame advantage, but didn't see much complaining. It's not a matter of "this principle" or "that," but just a purchasing decision based on a publisher's business model. If you want the items in the cash shop, buy them. If you don't like players being able to buy items as opposed to play for them, play something else.

    Would it make any difference if the items were touted as "mini expansions?" I don't know, but it would certainly cut down on all the needless cash shop ranting because players seem to find the expansion concept more palatable for some odd reason, and will gladly pay for a game that charges both a sub and expansion pack fees. Once content is classified as part of a cash shop and not an expansion pack, some strange outrage emerges despite the fact that the "cash shop" and "sub + expansion pack" business models are identical in essence.

    Either buy the product/service or don't. It's like making a huge deal of boycotting McDonalds because they spend money on promotions and contests like Monopoly that you don't personally play, but thecosts of which are built into the price of the food. An apt example because the average adult meal at McDonald's is about 1/2 the cost of a monthly game sub, yet offers much less comparative value.

    A completely individual choice with no big "right or wrong" issues entailed. Most people make the cost of a game sub in -after tax- earnings from one single hour of work. Cash shops are only a raging issue for folks who take the games they play a bit too seriously IMO. 

  • Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

    Originally posted by gatheris

    Originally posted by Loktofeit


    Originally posted by gatheris

    Sub cancelled and no you can't have my stuff :)

    and just to avoid the noise

    I'm paying a subscription fee which IMHO gets me 100% percent of the content of the game - i don't care if the item in the shop is a pink tutu with purple spots it better be earnable/available in game

    if/when the game goes ftp - THEN i won't care

    But... you can get a pet dog in the game. You also outgrow the benefits of the goggles by level 5 or so.

     

    Did you bother to look into this at all or did you just see exrtas available for a fee and freak out?

     apparently reading is not second nature to you

    please try again starting with "i'm paying a subscription..............."

    there is no "freak out" - i just don't pay a sub for games with cash shops - again, i don't care what is in it

    i don't expect anyone to follow me like little lemmings - though if it would put a stop to this that would be cool as i really liked this game - sigh

     

    running out of choices though - back to EVE maybe until LOTRO is availabe FTP

     

     "lornphoenix" - thanks for that response - - - happy to see someone on these forums has at least 2 brains cells to rub together :) 

     

    and another one "Khalathwyr"

    Back to EvE??? LMAO..

     

    You do know EvE sales PLEX.. Which is more of a cash shop then FE has..

     

    Hypocrits make me sick.. You think a $10 dog and a crappy pair of $5 glasses is gonna do anything for anyone?? But you'll play a game that sales a item worth 300-500mil in game currency (which is a lot) for $35.00 to anyone that'll fork over the cash?? Learn you're facts then you won't look like such a moron.


    image

    Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 40,285

    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

    Originally posted by Loktofeit


    Originally posted by gatheris

    Sub cancelled and no you can't have my stuff :)

    and just to avoid the noise

    I'm paying a subscription fee which IMHO gets me 100% percent of the content of the game - i don't care if the item in the shop is a pink tutu with purple spots it better be earnable/available in game

    if/when the game goes ftp - THEN i won't care

    But... you can get a pet dog in the game. You also outgrow the benefits of the goggles by level 5 or so.

     

    Did you bother to look into this at all or did you just see exrtas available for a fee and freak out?

    I think it's more of an issue of principles. Not everyone is ok with or likes cash shops. It has also been proven time and again that games start out with "something small and meaningless" to gauge the shop and if it does well they move on to selling things that do give advantages. *shrug*

    Resurrecting this just let you know you were a prophet.  One could easily argue these 4 new cash shop items do provide advantages in game.

    http://www.fallenearth.com/node/725


     

    FE ATV

    The Fallen Earth all-terrain vehicle (ATV) provides additional protection for clones through elevated armor and defense skills, making this ride one badass way to get across the Grand Canyon. The ATV has 300 more hit points; 50 percent higher fuel efficiency; 25 percent larger gas tank; 4 more storage slots than basic ATVs; custom Fallen Earth paint and rims.



    Price: $15 USD

     

    Badland Rider

    This Badland Rider is a badass way to travel in style. Not just an ordinary motorcycle, it offers 600 Health, 200 Armor Use, 256 Dodge, 256 Melee Defense, 112,000 Stamina, 1,000 Fuel Efficiency and 20 slots!



    Price: $15 USD

     

    Scavenger's Shirt

    When worn, this t-shirt offers +5 bonus to Scavenge, Nature, and Geology, allowing for easier harvesting of critical components and a higher chance to get rare components from the same harvesting nodes. It also grants a +10 bonus to Social, enabling the character to get minor discounts from merchants. Who wouldn’t want to have this in their wardrobe?!



    Price: $15 USD

     

    Clone Psychoactive Shot

    This special injector shot grants +15 percent experience earned for one hour, and is persistent through death! The injector has five charges.



    Limited Time Offer!



    Price: $5 USD

    Also, coming up next week they'll be letting you redeem reward points (given for each month you sub) or pay cash for extrastorage space (which in this game is an advantage, believe me) as evidenced by this annoucement.

    "You got a preview of ‘em on the PTS, and soon you can redeem Reward Points or visit the Fallen Earth online store to pick up some new items!

    Round up your Reward Points! The Weak Nitrous Booster, LifeNet Collar Hacks, additional Barter and Sector storage space (8 and 16 slots) and improved Geology, Nature and Scavenging Tool buffs will all be available from Rewards Merchants throughout the world on Monday, October 25!

    Haven’t collected enough Reward Points yet, but need more room for your findings? Fear not! Exclusive Sector and Barter Safety Deposit Boxes (8 and 16 slots) will be available for purchase at theFallen Earth online store."

    Now in my case this doesn't really bother me, I tend to have more cash than free time so I might actually buy some of this stuff (though 15 bucks a throw for vehicles seems a bit high, 5 bucks might have been more reasonable) but it certainly does seem that the lure of easy money has a very strong appeal.

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

    Originally posted by Kyleran

    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

    I think it's more of an issue of principles. Not everyone is ok with or likes cash shops. It has also been proven time and again that games start out with "something small and meaningless" to gauge the shop and if it does well they move on to selling things that do give advantages. *shrug*

    Resurrecting this just let you know you were a prophet.  One could easily argue these 4 new cash shop items do provide advantages in game.

    http://www.fallenearth.com/node/725


     

    FE ATV

    The Fallen Earth all-terrain vehicle (ATV) provides additional protection for clones through elevated armor and defense skills, making this ride one badass way to get across the Grand Canyon. The ATV has 300 more hit points; 50 percent higher fuel efficiency; 25 percent larger gas tank; 4 more storage slots than basic ATVs; custom Fallen Earth paint and rims.



    Price: $15 USD

     

    Badland Rider

    This Badland Rider is a badass way to travel in style. Not just an ordinary motorcycle, it offers 600 Health, 200 Armor Use, 256 Dodge, 256 Melee Defense, 112,000 Stamina, 1,000 Fuel Efficiency and 20 slots!



    Price: $15 USD

     

    Scavenger's Shirt

    When worn, this t-shirt offers +5 bonus to Scavenge, Nature, and Geology, allowing for easier harvesting of critical components and a higher chance to get rare components from the same harvesting nodes. It also grants a +10 bonus to Social, enabling the character to get minor discounts from merchants. Who wouldn’t want to have this in their wardrobe?!



    Price: $15 USD

     

    Clone Psychoactive Shot

    This special injector shot grants +15 percent experience earned for one hour, and is persistent through death! The injector has five charges.



    Limited Time Offer!



    Price: $5 USD

    Also, coming up next week they'll be letting you redeem reward points (given for each month you sub) or pay cash for extrastorage space (which in this game is an advantage, believe me) as evidenced by this annoucement.

    "You got a preview of ‘em on the PTS, and soon you can redeem Reward Points or visit the Fallen Earth online store to pick up some new items!

    Round up your Reward Points! The Weak Nitrous Booster, LifeNet Collar Hacks, additional Barter and Sector storage space (8 and 16 slots) and improved Geology, Nature and Scavenging Tool buffs will all be available from Rewards Merchants throughout the world on Monday, October 25!

    Haven’t collected enough Reward Points yet, but need more room for your findings? Fear not! Exclusive Sector and Barter Safety Deposit Boxes (8 and 16 slots) will be available for purchase at theFallen Earth online store."

    Now in my case this doesn't really bother me, I tend to have more cash than free time so I might actually buy some of this stuff (though 15 bucks a throw for vehicles seems a bit high, 5 bucks might have been more reasonable) but it certainly does seem that the lure of easy money has a very strong appeal.

    Much of the above is the equivalent of spending $5 for a limited editition Big Bronze Knife that has a Blizzard logo on it and does double damage.

     

    The Fallen Earth ATV is better than the first free ATV that you can build in a low level quest but is surpassed in stats by every other ATV in the game. You're pretty much paying for 4 extra inventory slots and the look of the thing... which looks like the ATVs that came with pre-order and early purchases.

    The Badland Rider stats look crazy, so that might be one item where the motorcycle is above what can be obtained in game. It was probably done to get people to start using them since motorcycles realy aren't good for much more than driving in a straight line and showing off in town.

    Plenty of items give Social and Scavenging bonuses. "allowing for easier harvesting of critical components and a higher chance to get rare components from the same harvesting nodes." <-- that isn't a unique property of the shirt, rather just a description of what raising scavenging does.

    The boosters I won't even touch, since nringing up xp boosters makes some people's heads explode around here.

     

    So if people are finding these items to be overpowered or must-haves then marketing did an excellent job because even basic research shows most of them to be nothing really spectacular except the bike and, well, have fun trying to ride that thing anywhere other than out in the open.

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

    It depends to me on the game.  AOC had packs available which gave you a whole host of stuff for around £50 ($80) - now to me that didn't seem like value especially considering the state of the game. Ignore fixing bugs and release packs of fluff to just make money.  Focus to my mind was all wrong. The game needed fixing - people were screaming about stuff like storage space. The time spent on the various packs should of been spent on the game.

     

    In contrast, I think Fallen Earth (FE) is value for money and I like the way the game is going. The shop prices to me are reasonable and offer stuff that only gives you a marginal helping hand.  I mean I bought a Badland Rider because I didn't want to be bother building bikes and wanted to focus on other stuff. So I thought pick one up and it will see me through for some time.  In essence I bought it for convenience more so than anything.  Partly because I don't have as much time these days to play as I want. I can in the future see myself buying the odd thing that saves me time.   But if the focus started turning to shop items at the expense of fixing bugs and continued development in other areas I would soon stop my support.  At the moment I think FE can have the luxury of the shop to bring in that extra bit of income, without sacrificing the game.  

  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

    Can't help but feel like I'm getting hustled every time I see a cash shop whether its Team Fortress 2 or all the current MMORPGs on the market. I know none of those items are necessary to enjoy the game, but damn it if I wouldn't like to have them, and can't help but think every other punk on ther server has them so why shouldn't I? Still, it is against my principals to participate in such things as I firmly believe this new trend is of great detriment to the video games industry in general.

    Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

    Originally posted by lornphoenix

    Originally posted by kaiser3282

    Yeah, driving may not be the same situation as a game, but youre still sharing the road with those people, just like sharing the gamespace, yet you dont see people throwing a bitch fit because people bought extras for their own car with their own money, why does it bother people so much that someone else in a game has something they dont?

    You are looking at this the wrong way.

    It not about who has what but more on how they got it.

     so in a way you ARE looking at others and how they play the game?

    If they want to buy content, let them...do what you want with your characters and let them waste money on ingame itemshops.

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

    Originally posted by Palebane

    Can't help but feel like I'm getting hustled every time I see a cash shop whether its Team Fortress 2 or all the current MMORPGs on the market. I know none of those items are necessary to enjoy the game, but damn it if I wouldn't like to have them, and can't help but think every other punk on ther server has them so why shouldn't I? Still, it is against my principals to participate in such things as I firmly believe this new trend is of great detriment to the video games industry in general.

    totally agree... i dont like cash shops at all, even the one in WoW is ... getting a bit borderline..  i pay to play, have no real interest in F2P games, because of the cash shop mentality.. which inevitably ends up being.. buy to win.. i dont think game balance should be related to the amount of disposable income you can afford...  it really does ruin games, irreparably.

  • ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

    Originally posted by Palebane

    I firmly believe this new trend is of great detriment to the video games industry in general.

     That's a tricky one in my view. While on the one hand I can see what you mean and agree with you, on the other hand there's no denying that the one key thing this new trend is doing is bringing in new money to MMO's and that has to be a good thing. Subscriptions haven't really risen in the past 10 or 12 years whilst costs have clearly escalated, and at least with the extra money coming from cash shops rather than from increased subscriptions all players have a choice as to whether they spend more money or not.

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 40,285

    Well, I agree that FE is a great game, and personally I don't mind paying for extra items like these to support the game and keep it improving, but I do understand why other folks might not.

    I think in the future all MMORPG's will follow the trend of finding ways to maximize their revenues and it will include hybrid payment models which include a mixture of subs and cash shop items.  Hopefully most games won't go pay to win (and nothing provided in FE give such an advantage, such as extra AP points or anything) but I think we'll see things like FE is offereing in almost every game.

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

    Originally posted by Shadewalker

    Originally posted by Palebane

    I firmly believe this new trend is of great detriment to the video games industry in general.

     That's a tricky one in my view. While on the one hand I can see what you mean and agree with you, on the other hand there's no denying that the one key thing this new trend is doing is bringing in new money to MMO's and that has to be a good thing. Subscriptions haven't really risen in the past 10 or 12 years whilst costs have clearly escalated, and at least with the extra money coming from cash shops rather than from increased subscriptions all players have a choice as to whether they spend more money or not.

    Personally speaking, if one of the games i was playing had to increase subs - with a valid reason that is, rather than just to improve their profit margin.. i'd be fine with that. All too often it seems these cash shops are blatant cash grabs, whose only aim is to maximise profits, rather than 'subsidise' existing game play, that, in itself speaks more about the quality of the company involved, than anything.. so yes.. i'd rather see subs rise as necessary to cover operating costs etc.. than see cash shops appear for a game.

  • MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

    Get rid of all subscriptions and replace them with "Pay Per Update/Content" and I'll be as happy as a pig in muck =).

    Reward the devs with my hard earned cash for real content updates rather than handing it over each month for providing access to the same old crap day in day out.

     

     

     

  • RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

    Originally posted by fallenlords

    But if the focus started turning to shop items at the expense of fixing bugs and continued development in other areas I would soon stop my support.

    Interesting thread, with lots of debate covering the spectrum of opinions. Me? I'm somewhere in the middle (he/she who sits on fence, gets splinter in ass!), somewhere between Fallenlords (although I've only paid for server transfer in EQ2 and LOTRO - note to self: why, why, WHY do I always choose the RPG server, then feel pangs of guilt and server transfer to a non-RPG server? Choose the NON-RPG server, idiot!) and Palebane.

    I also think that microtransactions are here to stay - for good and ill - although I generally prefer a P2P model (subs only), although a B2P or F2P model - with clear and coherent T&Cs indiciating (i) what is included, (ii) what isn't, and (iii) full costs for (ii) - could work.

    The real concern is the point that Fallenlords made (see above) i.e. short-term profit maximisation over medium-long term profit / revenue stream. Absolutely nothing wrong with profit. It's whether such profit comes with any added value, or it's just an attempt to hoover nickle and dimes from trouser pockets, until the developers hit lint.

    At the moment, this is all moot (for me, at least!) because due to time constraints, I only play single-player and make a 3 or 6 month occasional check at MMORPG.com. That said, I'll keep an eye on developments - not least because FE is on my radar, but also on the direction of microtransactions and their ingame effects.

    Regards

    "If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

  • maxebornmaxeborn Member Posts: 148

    by staying you're just legitimising cash shops in P2Play games.

  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

    I refuse to go to Disney World. Last time I went I paid an outrageous entry fee and when I tried to walk out of the park with a Goofy plush-toy...well...the bastard from Security World stopped me and expected me to pay for it. Now that I know Disney has cash shops...I refuse to go back until they get rid of the admission fee. It's bullshit. I like Disney...but it's just the principle. So..booo Disney and shame on you Fallen Earth.

Sign In or Register to comment.