Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another MMO Bites The Dust - Cash Shop Stealthed In

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by gatheris

Sub cancelled and no you can't have my stuff :)

and just to avoid the noise

I'm paying a subscription fee which IMHO gets me 100% percent of the content of the game - i don't care if the item in the shop is a pink tutu with purple spots it better be earnable/available in game

if/when the game goes ftp - THEN i won't care

First of all I truly dislike cash-shops and never will use them no matter what.

But you know what I am still enjoying the game since release.

I am wondering did you actually enjoy Fallen Earth to just leave at the slightest change or where you already in doubt of leaving and this item shop deal was just your final draw?

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by kobietruman

is it safe to assume that FTP is not so long in coming?

More likely, "OoB", unfortunately.

I've got nuttin against cash shops, but in a game as flawed as this one, any resource spent on cash shop stuff no doubt leaves a bad taste in the mouth of your average subscriber.  Offering items you'd normally have to learn to craft(crafting being the biggest asset of the game) has to alarm some folks, too.

F2P would be a pretty big risk in a game that's got a good deal of PvP in it.  But accessibility is really gonna save or kill this game.  A niche game like this needs to find all the folks it can.  Just, that it has to do it in a way that won't piss off current players and PvP purists.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by kobietruman

is it safe to assume that FTP is not so long in coming?

More likely, "OoB", unfortunately.

I've got nuttin against cash shops, but in a game as flawed as this one, any resource spent on cash shop stuff no doubt leaves a bad taste in the mouth of your average subscriber.  Offering items you'd normally have to learn to craft(crafting being the biggest asset of the game) has to alarm some folks, too.

F2P would be a pretty big risk in a game that's got a good deal of PvP in it.  But accessibility is really gonna save or kill this game.  A niche game like this needs to find all the folks it can.  Just, that it has to do it in a way that won't piss off current players and PvP purists.

1 month sub fee for near $15 USD OR $15 USD to buy both the dog with 4 extra slots of inventory and goggles weareble at lvl 3 instead of lvl 7. I know where my money would be going..........and it wouldn't be on those item mall items for sure........

I am a full crafter and to be honost I just laugh at those 2 items, definltly not worth it for me. As said I might get worried if they keep adding more and more, again depending on what type of items they will add, but knowing Icarus I am sure they going to be very carefull with what they put in their item malls.

And also as said before I am against Cash-shops, but my principle is against the use of a item shop for myself and against it if it's items are or becoming better then what can be found, looted, crafted ingame, or if without the use of item mall items limit your progress. Sure I can not craft a small dog with those extra 4 slots, but that dog might be fine if you in the very low lvl's, see no use having such a dog on any of my characters. Same with the goggles, much better goggles are crafted, looted or bought.

I truly hope it doesn't go F2P as it brings in a very different type of MMO player, often one that hops in and out without allot of dedication to the game, which limits the community feel of this genre, which is obviously my own opinion based on my own experiance of what I have seen with plenty of played games. Which can be different then someone's else's opinion.......

• RaganaRagana Member Posts: 458

I'm paying a subscription fee which IMHO gets me 100% percent of the content of the game - i don't care if the item in the shop is a pink tutu with purple spots it better be earnable/available in game

Amen. If a game has a cash shop I won't even look at it. This new trend is ruining the genre; simple as that.

Veni, Vidi, Vici

• Justarius1Justarius1 Member Posts: 381

I cancelled my sub as well.  Ah well.  I've been enjoying a lot of non-MMO games lately, and I have SW:TOR to look forward to. Cash shops leave a bad taste in my mouth and the game isn't even FTP (yet)...  First they fire 2/3 of their staff and now a cash shop.

Way to go, Icarus.  You turned my favorite little gem of a game into another sad farce.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

The truth is, it is not a fail. Cash shops are a success or they wouldn't be as popular as they are becoming. Obviously they are helping more they hurt.

The best example is devoted players probably buy stuff and thus one actual player could take the place of 3 players that would just subscribe each month. There are many benifits to the developers in that particular scenerio.

• frostsmithfrostsmith Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by natuxatu

The truth is, it is not a fail. Cash shops are a success or they wouldn't be as popular as they are becoming. Obviously they are helping more they hurt.
    The best example is devoted players probably buy stuff and thus one actual player could take the place of 3 players that would just subscribe each month. There are many benifits to the developers in that particular scenerio.

Cash shops are not popular by the consumers POV. They are put there because it isn't popular, but another way to make money. The developers get enough money from subscription if the MMO is doing good. I just wish these companies would put more money in customer service and the game instead of pointless items that are jacked up in price.
  • ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

Originally posted by Ragana

Amen. If a game has a cash shop I won't even look at it. This new trend is ruining the genre; simple as that.

How would you know if you don't look at the games that have them? 

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Originally posted by Phirmware

Yeah, driving may not be the same situation as a game, but youre still sharing the road with those people, just like sharing the gamespace, yet you dont see people throwing a bitch fit because people bought extras for their own car with their own money, why does it bother people so much that someone else in a game has something they dont?

Not only is it not the same situation, it's not even close.

In what way? Youre performing a task using something you bought (just like you paid for your game/account), and sharing a common space with other people who did the same (just like other players in a game). Yet you dont see people refusing to drive because people have nicer cars than them that they bought with their own money. Sure, people will complain and be jealous about others having nicer things than them, but they dont flat out quit doing something because others can afford better.... yet in games everyone acts as if its a communist nation and we should all have equal of everything and nobody should be allowed to have something they dont have, even though that person was the one who worked for it.

Driving may seem like a silly example, but you could apply anything in life where you are able to upgrade something you own and is seen by (and in some cases interacts with) others to this idea of "principles". Why do people act so different in one situation, but oh no you better not touch their precious video game.

Its more like going to college and having the ability to get all your grades upgraded for a lil extra cash.

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

Originally posted by epsilon426

Originally posted by Loktofeit

But... you can get a pet dog in the game. You also outgrow the benefits of the goggles by level 5 or so.

Did you bother to look into this at all or did you just see exrtas available for a fee and freak out?

apparently reading is not second nature to you

please try again starting with "i'm paying a subscription..............."

there is no "freak out" - i just don't pay a sub for games with cash shops - again, i don't care what is in it

i don't expect anyone to follow me like little lemmings - though if it would put a stop to this that would be cool as i really liked this game - sigh

running out of choices though - back to EVE maybe until LOTRO is availabe FTP

"lornphoenix" - thanks for that response - - - happy to see someone on these forums has at least 2 brains cells to rub together :) 

and another one "Khalathwyr"

"back to EVE maybe until LOTRO is availabe FTP"

I hate to tell you, EVE has a cash shop as well, it called plex.

I don't see problem with cash shop as long as it does not grant an advantage in the long run. If you upset with goggles that help lowbies and pet that are cosmetic in nature, I don't know how you could play EVE online at all then. Also, what games wont let you pay extra for pets, cosmetic stuff like that or XP boost? Also how does someone speding money on things like that hurt your enjoymeny of the game? I personally feel good about it that I have something I got, while they spent money on it. Even if cash shop are not in game, you can buy power leveling servies or item from people with real money, just not legit.

ROFLPMS Power leveling items in EVE? Are you joking? Seriously? All the plexes allow you to do is get more money to buy stuff and fund PVP, you can't have 'power leveling items' in EVE as you can only use what you have skills for. ISK is the real deal in EVE and making it.

It also allows people who have plenty of isk coming into to not pay for their subs any more which is fantastic idea!

As for Fallen Earth, I'm against cash shops in general also, but I'm no longer a subscriber anyway as I don't have the cash to fund more than the 4 mmo's I currently play and work at the same time :P

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

The game FAQ of this game had specifically mentioned that microtransactions werent going to be part of Fallen Earth :/

So apparently this priciple, that was so important to the devs that they added it to the game FAQ, has been thrown overboard. This can only mean that there are new dev leaders or suits.

First this 'reorganisation', then a state of the game that just rehashes what had been announced already without mentioning what comes after that. Now this item shop which goes against their original gamedesign philosophy.

I cancelled for the time being. Want to know first what else they are going to change.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Ragana

I won't go that far but I do agree with the OP. Pay to Play then I better get everything and not have to deal with a cash shop. 

F2P then be my guest and add a cash shop. 

This double dipping crud needs to stop lol. I mean for the love of all that is gaming if your going to go with a hybrid business model then at least discount your monthly sub because otherwise you simply come off greedy. 

GW&GW2 = Buy to play, my fav model. 

EvE= Monthly fee and every expansion is FREE. You can even buy game time with in game currency. My second fav model lol. 

P2P = Meaning monthly fee and no cash shops. The only acceptable thing on a cash shop for a P2P game for me is name changes, Server Transfers and other service of that nature. Nothing more. 

F2P = Do what you want with the cash shop just don't go over board or you won't be getting many customers lol. 

The Hybrid P2P with cash shops needs an extreme discount on the monthly sub if they are going to be hybrid otherwise it's an asinine attempt at double dipping. 

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

The Hybrid P2P with cash shops needs an extreme discount on the monthly sub if they are going to be hybrid otherwise it's an asinine attempt at double dipping. 

The cash shops would need alot more things than two items in it. How long do you think they can run the servers on selling those two  items and at the same time have an extreme discount on the monthly fee?

----

As for this silly fuzz in this topic and thread.

Get a grip it's two things they are selling on the cash-shop, two thing that is neglictable in game. Make a fair comparisment to games where the cash shop items is something that will actually help you in the game (in a way that makes a noticable difference) and in those cases where buying from the cash shop is almost a necessity to be able to enjoy and play the game.

This two items is worth shit in that comparisment.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• SirmakiSirmaki Member UncommonPosts: 118

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Orphes

Get a grip it's two things they are selling on the cash-shop, two thing that is neglictable in game. Make a fair comparisment to games where the cash shop items is something that will actually help you in the game (in a way that makes a noticable difference) and in those cases where buying from the cash shop is almost a necessity to be able to enjoy and play the game.

Which is why it's safe to bet the farm it won't stop there. Why go to the trouble to set up a cash shop for things almost no one will buy and that will certainly generate few repeat buyers?

Exactly. This is the point Orphes didn't cover.

I was super-hyped over this game in development, and don't get me wrong, the devs are great guys/gals, but the game just didn't turn out the way it could have. I mean I was so into this game, I managed to score 2 t-shirts ;) If they expand the shop in a reasonable manner, then maybe they could drop/lower the sub and get more people to play. Sticking to vanity items and convenience items is a big part tho. Crossing my fingers on this.....

Originally posted by Sirmaki

Which is why it's safe to bet the farm it won't stop there. Why go to the trouble to set up a cash shop for things almost no one will buy and that will certainly generate few repeat buyers?

Exactly. This is the point Orphes didn't cover.

That was exactly one of the points I covered.

There is nothing in the cash-shop worth anything yet. There is nothing there to replace the P2P model.

As zym said there is items there that noone will buy. Please come back when there is things worth something, when they do have a cash shop worth it names and fulfills the same usage as the cash shops do in other game.

Fallen Earth is not there yet, there is no reason for them to go F2P as the cash shop is worthless in that regard.

I covered zyms point pretty well, it could just simply been read beetween the lines.

When they add those items, when they do it like it is done in the F2P games. Ok, this thread could then have a just cause. At this time the items are 'crap' they are not something that can replace the income from subscription fee.

Why go through the trouble setting up a cash shop? I do not think it is that much of a trouble, relatively. Balancing the game with cash shops as they are done in other games is something else. 

It's not done yet. They have not put in a fullblown cash shop and at the same time take a sub fee.

• MadimorgaMadimorga Member UncommonPosts: 1,920

Originally posted by ray12k

Originally posted by Phirmware

Yeah, driving may not be the same situation as a game, but youre still sharing the road with those people, just like sharing the gamespace, yet you dont see people throwing a bitch fit because people bought extras for their own car with their own money, why does it bother people so much that someone else in a game has something they dont?

Not only is it not the same situation, it's not even close.

In what way? Youre performing a task using something you bought (just like you paid for your game/account), and sharing a common space with other people who did the same (just like other players in a game). Yet you dont see people refusing to drive because people have nicer cars than them that they bought with their own money. Sure, people will complain and be jealous about others having nicer things than them, but they dont flat out quit doing something because others can afford better.... yet in games everyone acts as if its a communist nation and we should all have equal of everything and nobody should be allowed to have something they dont have, even though that person was the one who worked for it.

Driving may seem like a silly example, but you could apply anything in life where you are able to upgrade something you own and is seen by (and in some cases interacts with) others to this idea of "principles". Why do people act so different in one situation, but oh no you better not touch their precious video game.

Its more like going to college and having the ability to get all your grades upgraded for a lil extra cash.

From a 2002 study:  "eight out of every 10 Harvard students graduate with honors and nearly half receive A's in their courses"

So I guess it's just a matter of paying that cash upfront to the right school.

As for a cash shop, if it sells fluff I'm fine with it.  None too happy about paying for extra bag space, since bag space shortage is such an obvious gimmick to get you to visit the cash shop in f2p games.  I hate the doom and gloom flavor in this thread regarding FE, because I'm really looking forward to trying it out in a couple months.  Hope it's still alive and kicking by then.

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Originally posted by Justarius1

I cancelled my sub as well.  Ah well.  I've been enjoying a lot of non-MMO games lately, and I have SW:TOR to look forward to. Cash shops leave a bad taste in my mouth and the game isn't even FTP (yet)...  First they fire 2/3 of their staff and now a cash shop.

Way to go, Icarus.  You turned my favorite little gem of a game into another sad farce.

This.

Anyone that knows me knows I was a huge proponent of this game after release.

After the cash shop news, I hae cancelled my account and will never look back at the game I feel had the most potential in the genre.  Had they kept their sights on the big prize instead of going for the quick buck, FE could've easily become the next  EVE.,

But FE chose to go for the quick buck and now they will be nothing but another miniscule footnote in MMO history.

I wish FE/Icarus all the luck in the world, but if they thought this was the right move, they truely didn't know their faithful playerbase at all.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

This.

After the cash shop news, I hae cancelled my account and will never look back at the game I feel had the most potential in the genre.  Had they kept their sights on the big prize instead of going for the quick buck, FE could've easily become the next  EVE.,

But FE chose to go for the quick buck and now they will be nothing but another miniscule footnote in MMO history.

I wish FE/Icarus all the luck in the world, but if they thought this was the right move, they truely didn't know their faithful playerbase at all.

This is the best description between hype and dedication.  I'm still enjoying the game, nothing changed so far that impacted my gameplay :)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

cancelled my account a few days after learning of the cash shop, i had to think about it for a few days because i really liked the game. i have always told myself id never pay a monthly fee to a game with a cash shop, and it will have to be better than fe (as good as it is) for me to break that. really sucks they decided to go this way

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Originally posted by DonnieBrasco

This.

This is the best description between hype and dedication.  I'm still enjoying the game, nothing changed so far that impacted my gameplay :)

DB

Call it what you want, it doesn't dimish the fact that this move has many long time players/beta testers pissed off and leaving.

The subscription plus cash shop model is a blantant cash grab and I will not participate as a matter of principle no matter how much I like the game.

I'm glad you're still enjoying the game though.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

The subscription plus cash shop model is a blantant cash grab and I will not participate as a matter of principle no matter how much I like the game.

Not participating in a cash shop on a point of principle is perfectly understandable. Quitting a subscription-based game which a player is enjoying because the developer has opened a cash shop with two low-level items in it is rather less understandable in my view.

I recognise the principle involved, but in order to show his rejection of a cash shop in this or any other game all that any dissenting player has to do is not buy from it. Quitting may be a grander gesture but it has the disadvantage for the player that he is now without the game he was enjoying playing, and such a grand gesture seems unnecessary to me when not favouring the cash shop with his custom would serve the purpose equally well without disadvantaging the player.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Originally posted by Shadewalker

Not participating in a cash shop on a point of principle is perfectly understandable. Quitting a subscription-based game which a player is enjoying because the developer has opened a cash shop with two low-level items in it is rather less understandable in my view.

I recognise the principle involved, but in order to show his rejection of a cash shop in this or any other game all that any dissenting player has to do is not buy from it. Quitting may be a grander gesture but it has the disadvantage for the player that he is now without the game he was enjoying playing, and such a grand gesture seems unnecessary to me when not favouring the cash shop with his custom would serve the purpose equally well without disadvantaging the player.

Precisely. Not to mention that subscribers leaving the game will just push the devs/publishers more in the direction of trying to squeeze more money from the cash shop (assuming it proves to be successful, or at least promising), so this kind of objection is not only undetectable, but can also prove to be counterproductive. 

IMHO the ONLY thing that would possible help, is simply ignore the cash shop, while continue playing. I know you can't force or convince others to do this, especially all of them, but canceling subs would still be totally unnoticed, and uncared for.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• AreannaAreanna Member UncommonPosts: 55

I hate micro transactions and if this was anything more then fluff I would be cancelling also. You should try the game as the shop items are just pure fluff, and the game is quite good been here playing since beta then about a month into release! :)

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

Originally posted by DonnieBrasco 

. . .  canceling subs would still be totally unnoticed, and uncared for.

This is the one thing you're wrong about. A single canceled subscription with "I h8 ca$h $hop" written in the reason for quitting form is more powerful than a thousand rage posts on the forums. This is true for any game, where unpopular news is met with a lot of forum whining but very little subscription cancelling; but in a game with as few subscribers as FE, the difference would be felt very strongly and very quickly.

Personally I understand people being alarmed by a cash shop in FE. It's a crafting based game, so a cash shop has the potential of having a serious impact on the in-game economy -- if only the cash shop items weren't such superficial cheese. And as long as they are superficial cheese, there's no reason to be alarmed. When they start putting mesoprene and hexweave armor in the cash shop, everyone should unsubscribe all at once.