Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why can't SWG turn back the hands of time?

2»

Comments

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

How about a free to play version of Classic SWG.  As much as I will never forgive them for what they did to SWG, I will admit I would come back to play a classic SWG server in a heartbeat.

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

This is why:

There's no reason to.

SoE dropped CU to make SWG more "real".  Yeah, they lost a lot of people.  But they are still making money off of SWG, people still play, plently of vet's do as well.  I've tried to go back a few time's but can't do it.

Also, with the F2P Clone Wars and SWTOR coming out, SoE really has no reason to mess with SWG anymore.

It's gone.  We should all accept that.  Although I still can't :(

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by meleemadness

Why can't the people at SOE undo what they did and go back to pre-CU in SWG?  That was by far the best game I ever played, period!!! 

i do not understand why they destroyed it but I am even more boggled as to why they can not undo their mistake?  Is there some legal reason or is it stupid pride or what?

because then everything would be right int he world  i mean if i really think about it i would still be playing SWG to this day if it was pre CU..and hell at this point ill take the CU   just pre NGE

• smugglaprosmugglapro Member UncommonPosts: 47

Easy enough to understand....

It's improbable they'd do any good even if they could, because they'd just do ...

....this : http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0

Trials of Obi-Wan...nuff said about that...

...and this: http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

all over again as they don't learn from their mistakes, can't/won't admit them,  and are the same bunch of scum they were when they did it the first time.

Not hard at all to think of why they can't turn time back.  "Once you fail...fail, fail again"

Yes, I have anger issues. They taste like chocolate bunnies.

• RysinLexiconRysinLexicon Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by Kazara

I truly believe that LA/LEC  is involved in why $OE failed to roll back to Pre-NGE game play when it became quickly apparent that the NGE failed on an epic scale and/or why $OE didn't launch classic servers later to try and recover the lost playerbase. I don't think it is a matter of pride with Smedley - he has proven that there is little he would NOT do in pursuit of $$$$.

While a classic server would definitely draw far more players than what the NGE version has now, there simply is not the dev talent left to handle such an undertaking. As another poster mentioned, this venture just would not provide the kind of return on the resources invested to make it worthwhile to $OE.

Why does everyone blame LA / LEC for not going back to the Pre-CU?  I honestly think the simple answer is the most accurate one, they (SOE) won't go back to the Pre-CU because they don't think they could every fix it (especially now) and they no longer beleive in the original "sandbox" concept for it. 

I think some of you guys forget how buggy, grossly unbalanced, and just flat out broken the Pre-CU was.  The entire reason the CU happened was because the Pre-CU was not working and people (most people) were not happy with the bugs and unbalance.

I agree that the Pre-CU was better then the NGE (or should I say, had more potential) but at this point or even the right after the NGE, it was to late to "save this game".  People were disenfranchised after a few months of the CU.  Face it, if they created Pre-CU servers you would play it for 3 months and quite because of the bugs and inbalance (same issues people were quitting in groves before the CU). 

I think the best solution would have been in between what the Pre-CU was and what the CU tried to do.  The Sandbox was a great concept, but they just made it to big and needed some limitations on the different possibilities.  But, in the end for whatever the different theories are for "fixing it" and "would have been" or "should have been" or "could have been" ideas, the bottom line is they had one chance to save it and it was the CU. 

Unfortunitly, they rushed it out in order to sell more copies of RoTW and didn't learn thier lesson from the Pre-CU rollout of making sure the product is working before you sell it to people, especially when people are leaving in groves over quality.  They should have rolled out elements of the CU in waves (enough to keep people engaged and give them hope) and made sure that the elements were working as in intended before rolling in the next piece.  Start with the bigger issues (balance via the stats and mods) and move on the the next issue (armor balance, weapon balance, etc). 

As a team member for the CU Alpha Testing, we were on the right track, but what they rushed out was not what we talked about and had seen in the documents.  They added and change a lot of what we were talking about when they shut us down and rolled it out.  We never got out of the Alpha stage before they went to the Test Center with 2 weeks before it went live.  In addition, they tried to much all at once rather then just trying to fix what was there without changing the primise.  They ending up changing to much of the basic elements of the game and as a result, rather then "fixing" things, they created new things (which may or may not have been good) that were also broken because they were rushed out.

Anyway, neither here nor there now.  Is what it is.  But the answer to your question is they didn't and won't go to the Pre-CU because they cannot justify the expense at this point and they don't beleive they can fix it (nor do they probably want to try).

Originally posted by jaxsundane

SWG at it's peak drew 500k (I heard it was actually like 300k peak) but let's say even if it was 500k with that being the most they can expect to get since anyone "missing" the old swg would be included in that number it's just not very fiscally responsible so I can certainly understand why they don't waste time on it even though I too found the original SWG to be more fun than the CU or NGE.  But I would also like to add that it was not in my opinion any better than anything else on the market then or now, I can attribute it being my first mmo to it's proper position given that fact overall the game just isn't that good.

Not sure I agree.  I agree that a lot of the people that were playing the Pre-CU were playing because it was Star Wars, but had the game of worked and not been so buggy and broken, it would have taken off.

Keep in mind, WoW was not based on anything (meaning no "name" to give it a spike) and it took off.  Why, because it worked.  It had a few bugs, but it was not fundamentally broken in so many areas.  But do not get me wrong, I don't think the theory of the SWG (meaning the sandbox approach) but the implimentation was broken and it never got fixed and that is why the game fell apart.  It was just unreliable.  What worked today would be nerfed tommorow and you were constantly starting over again.

Let's face it, WoW is a powerhouse, why pay any other game that is basicly the same when you can just play WoW.  What was great about SWG was it was a different open concept then all the other MMO, they just missed the make on quality and made a poor product.  Had the game of had better quality, it would have been huge (IMO). 

Star Wars name + Quality game = Success (probably even higher then WoW)

• MiffyMiffy Member Posts: 244

The problem I have is if they went back then the game would still be broken and have no content. Instead of spending the five years fixing the game and adding quality content, they ruined it and have just been putting out sub par content compared to other MMOs. So really what is the point in going back when the game has no potential anymore? I say make SWG Pre CU 2.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by RysinLexicon

SWG at it's peak drew 500k (I heard it was actually like 300k peak) but let's say even if it was 500k with that being the most they can expect to get since anyone "missing" the old swg would be included in that number it's just not very fiscally responsible so I can certainly understand why they don't waste time on it even though I too found the original SWG to be more fun than the CU or NGE.  But I would also like to add that it was not in my opinion any better than anything else on the market then or now, I can attribute it being my first mmo to it's proper position given that fact overall the game just isn't that good.

Not sure I agree.  I agree that a lot of the people that were playing the Pre-CU were playing because it was Star Wars, but had the game of worked and not been so buggy and broken, it would have taken off.

Keep in mind, WoW was not based on anything (meaning no "name" to give it a spike) and it took off.  Why, because it worked.  It had a few bugs, but it was not fundamentally broken in so many areas.  But do not get me wrong, I don't think the theory of the SWG (meaning the sandbox approach) but the implimentation was broken and it never got fixed and that is why the game fell apart.  It was just unreliable.  What worked today would be nerfed tommorow and you were constantly starting over again.

Let's face it, WoW is a powerhouse, why pay any other game that is basicly the same when you can just play WoW.  What was great about SWG was it was a different open concept then all the other MMO, they just missed the make on quality and made a poor product.  Had the game of had better quality, it would have been huge (IMO). 

Sure, WoW was only based off of one of the most popular RTS franchises of all time.  No name at all.

• DeathstinyDeathstiny Member Posts: 386

pre CU SWG was a horrible game and was destined to fail as most beta players predicted. The devs didn't listen, they launched anyways, players left and then the devs tried to fix it not understanding that you cannot recover from a bad launch especially not by upsetting the few players who actually liked that abortion of a game. If they turned back time or even relaunch original SWG the exact same thing would happen. Players would realize how much of a turd that game is and stop playing.

Bring on SWTOR

• Lizard_SFLizard_SF Member Posts: 348

I certainly wish they would. No other game I know of offers the chance to find a treasure map on a dead space pirate, follow it to where the treasure is buried, kill two random guards who spawn and promptly begin to wander off in a random direction, then recover a chest containing 2 units of a totally random ore and a melon.

We certainly need more gameplay of that calibre!

• miceinblackmiceinblack Member Posts: 122

I thought SWG was decent before all the changes and it definitely had the best chargen creator out there for making a character toon. However, I don't feel this game will ever return. SWG screwed up and everyone pretty much knows it as there are many threads and even a  rant board to remind SOE of their folly.  However, I don't feel this game will ever return. SOE has moved on even if old players have not. I suppose those that lost high level characters such as Bio Engineers or those who did the Jedi grind probly also feel that salt is being rubbed in the wound whenever SOE does anything successful. Especially if it is being successful at some cheesy free to play game.

This game is dead and this corpse of a game has been kicked around so many times that it couldn't even be raised by an Arch Lich. Its a feat that might even be beyond the powers of Chuck Norris. Its dead Jim. Move on and jus remember the good ole days or bad days as it were. Games go in cycles and eventually they will make a giant sand box game to appeal to gamers after all this Free to Play and Microtransactions stuff has played itself out. Unfortunately, you might have to wait and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the younger players are in their 40's by the time they do put out such a game.

Hmmm..... Maybe they will make a Fallout MMO.

• Lizard_SFLizard_SF Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by miceinblack

Hmmm..... Maybe they will make a Fallout MMO.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but just in case you're not, they ARE making one. Information released thus far is sketchy, but broad hints seem to indicate it won't be as sandboxy as some people might hope, which doesn't mean much. "Sandbox" is a continuum, not a boolean.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Sure, WoW was only based off of one of the most popular RTS franchises of all time.  No name at all.

I understand that "Warcraft: Orcs & Humans" was a very successful RTS game, but when you compare the name recognition of "Warcraft: Orcs & Humans" to that of "Star Wars" there is no comparison. 

Far more people can relate to fantasizing about being part of the Star Wars universe then being part of the Warcraft universe and I would say that holds true even today.

That was the point I was making.

• sif-lawdsif-lawd Member Posts: 3,402

I understand that "Warcraft: Orcs & Humans" was a very successful RTS game, but when you compare the name recognition of "Warcraft: Orcs & Humans" to that of "Star Wars" there is no comparison. 

Far more people can relate to fantasizing about being part of the Star Wars universe then being part of the Warcraft universe and I would say that holds true even today.

That's a good point -- however, you're discounting two things:

* Sure, many people might fantasize about being part of the Star Wars universe, but not many of those people are gamers. And while I'm sure many people became gamers so they could be part of the SW universe, it wasn't as many as they needed to consider the game a successful title.

* You're also forgetting Warcraft's immense popularity in Asia, which is where a great deal of WOW's subs come from.

Originally posted by sif-lawd

* Sure, many people might fantasize about being part of the Star Wars universe, but not many of those people are gamers. And while I'm sure many people became gamers so they could be part of the SW universe, it wasn't as many as they needed to consider the game a successful title.

* You're also forgetting Warcraft's immense popularity in Asia, which is where a great deal of WOW's subs come from.

Very valid point. 

From personal experiance, the only reason I even ventured into the MMO world (from an FPS world) was because of the lure of being part of that Star Wars Universe.

Of course, it is all fun debate and we never will know for sure, but that is why it is so fun to speculate.

Originally posted by sif-lawd

Very valid point. 

From personal experiance, the only reason I even ventured into the MMO world (from an FPS world) was because of the lure of being part of that Star Wars Universe.

Of course, it is all fun debate and we never will know for sure, but that is why it is so fun to speculate.

Same here. SWG was my first MMO as well (started in Dec. 04, stopped playing in January of this year). I've played others since, but the whole reason I started was because I grew up a Star Wars fan and wanted to play a game in that universe.

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

I'm a rare bird I guess, because I didn't start playing to be in a Star Wars universe.  I decided to start playing when friends that were trying it out described the classes, skill tree, crafting, player housing, bank, vendors, etc.  Having some familiarity with the SW storyline only helped me take my first step into an MMO world. 

• liberalguyliberalguy Member UncommonPosts: 118

Originally posted by Recon48

I'm a rare bird I guess, because I didn't start playing to be in a Star Wars universe.  I decided to start playing when friends that were trying it out described the classes, skill tree, crafting, player housing, bank, vendors, etc.  Having some familiarity with the SW storyline only helped me take my first step into an MMO world. 

During the pre-cu game most of the people I played with weren't playing the game because it was Star Wars...they were playing the game because it was an amazing sandbox game. When SOE killed the sand box to make the game more Star Warsy and iconic all of those people left.

People who still play aren't really SW fans either (zombies and ewok love festivals lol) they are gluttons for punishment.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by liberalguy

During the pre-cu game most of the people I played with weren't playing the game because it was Star Wars...they were playing the game because it was an amazing sandbox game. When SOE killed the sand box to make the game more Star Warsy and iconic all of those people left.

People who still play aren't really SW fans either (zombies and ewok love festivals lol) they are gluttons for punishment.

I don't care what the setting is.  Bring back this type of true sandbox with a class system like SWG had at first and I'd be there asap.

People who still play aren't really SW fans either

I really don't think that's your call to make, guy.

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

I don't care what the setting is.  Bring back this type of true sandbox with a class system like SWG had at first and I'd be there asap.

If it ever were to happen, I'll see you there.  So many times I've wished they would strip the Star Wars IP, re-skin it and give us Pre-CU back in some form.

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

SWG was the first sandbox game I ever liked.  Well the only sandbox game I liked to this day actually.  I do like star wars, and I did buy it for star wars, but at the same time, I loved it after I played it because it was a great game, bugs and all.

• willvaswillvas Member Posts: 137

whatever you are smoking dude please pass right after you puff... IN RED.... you are kidding right?  the FAMOUS warcraft RTS series is the biggest reason its huge now.  You do realize ... warcraft 3 is still played religously around the world?  heck in china alone.. warcraft 3 has its own TV SHOW. 

and no by publish 14 in PRE CU... things were on the up... they had made many HUGE fixes.  They still had fixes to go.. which SOE LIED about sayign that the CU will fix the other classes left.  They were doing publishes to fix classes.  They just were too lazy... love to lie... and saw the success of WOW.  THey basically said wait a sec.  We can make this game more like WOW and get some of their subs. 

Im sure smedley said screw our current player base.  Lets get WOWs.   they have more. 

we all know what happened.  He lost his loyal playerbase.  And barely got a smidge of some of WOWs players. 

had they stuck with their plans and continued with publishes fixing the classes.. the game would still be thriving.  They needed a new starter area to explain the game better... and finish fixing classes as they had promised.  Instead they gave us CU... then the NGE.

P.S.  and by the way, most of us didnt play because it was star wars... however thats a bonus.. but as for many of us... we enjoyed the sandbox.. we enjoyed the player only economy... crafting system... the skill system.. NOT a class system.  the variety of 32+ professions 10+races...

the gameplay was great... and we are still looking for something to release like that.  Sorry i hate the theme park its BORING after awhile.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by Binny45

I agree.  Played it, even maxed out a character in mutliple classes in search of the Jedi unlock.  One day, while grinding freakin Krayt Dragons, I simply stopped and refused to pay SOE to be BORED anymore.

The game sucked then, it sucks now and the only appeal it had in the past was the fact that it allowed RPer's the freedom to do their thing.  I'm not an RPer, so it just wasnt' for me.  They should have left well enough alone and let them have their game because now the game is just complete crap and good for no one.

Yes, you are the type of subscriber $OE was refering to when they said they were bleeding subscribers right after launch.  You like my brother are power gamers.

While I was sampling soil, collecting and selling minerals and gas as a master ranger, you were out grinding to become a Jedi.  I bet you also exploited experience like my brother showed me, he sat me down one day and we taught me how to grind out experience with that profession that changed appearances, I forgot what it was called.  I wasn't happy I could exploit the system, I was mostly angry that others were doing it and bored to tears sitting around and hitting the same key over and over again.

(Mod Edit)

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

There is no reason whatsoever to play NGE since all the old devs are gone and the new ones admit that the coding is so messed up they cant fix it and that they will just keep on adding crappy mindless content to the game that doesent realy change the game.

They cant even fix the countless bugs in mustafar and when you try to enter a instance as a group half the group does not enter due to bugs and then your group is ruined since you cant enter a instance again like other games and the instance is saved and the group is disbanded and bye bye so the only way was to for someone to run across the lava then bug your way over the hill and set up a camp so people could use the shuttle to fly in and this was considerd a exploit and you would be banned if caught. But this was the ONLY way of getting the entire group in.

SWG is never going to be fixed its always going to be broken so dont waste your money on this game the devs and mods say it them selfs. Im not gonna go look up on the forums where he said it was broken and cannot be fixed if its still even there but im sure some remember.