Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why can't SWG turn back the hands of time?

Why can't the people at SOE undo what they did and go back to pre-CU in SWG?  That was by far the best game I ever played, period!!! 

i do not understand why they destroyed it but I am even more boggled as to why they can not undo their mistake?  Is there some legal reason or is it stupid pride or what?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

The answer is quite simple, it would not be profitable enough for them to do so.

No, they don't want the small change that creating a classic server might bring, they're thinking of sub numbers in the millions, (think WOW)

Anything less and they won't put the investment into it.

Besides, most of the people who created that early game are long gone, and resurrecting it now would be a real challenge.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

We wouldn't have invented the word "Tragedy" if we didn't sometimes have to use it.

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

It's pride.

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

Originally posted by Kyleran
    ...they're thinking of sub numbers in the millions, (think WOW)

yeah! wait, what???

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

I truly believe that LA/LEC  is involved in why $OE failed to roll back to Pre-NGE game play when it became quickly apparent that the NGE failed on an epic scale and/or why $OE didn't launch classic servers later to try and recover the lost playerbase. I don't think it is a matter of pride with Smedley - he has proven that there is little he would NOT do in pursuit of $$$$.

While a classic server would definitely draw far more players than what the NGE version has now, there simply is not the dev talent left to handle such an undertaking. As another poster mentioned, this venture just would not provide the kind of return on the resources invested to make it worthwhile to $OE.

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

we've already had this discussion

• jotulljotull Member Posts: 256

The game is quite simply too long in the tooth to provide anything but Maintenance mode on, and SOE is moving into a different business model. Despite what you may read by the I hate SOE crowd the Free Realms model has made SOE a ton of cash, as the new Clone Wars Adventures and DCUO will, both of these games plan to follow the FR business model and it has been mores successful than anything they have done to date, and that will be their business model going forward, You can pretty much bet EQ 3 will be a F2P with cash shop game that uses the FR engine (which by the bye is the same engine that  made DCUO and The Agency)  

The type of game SWG was will never happen again because there were just too few people who actually liked it to make it worthwhile, it really only had as many as it had because it was Star Wars. When they can do a Free Realms type game and get ten or twenty times the subscriber base they would be stupid not to go that route.
  • NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Becqause SOE would have to ADMIT they were wrong in their decision to change it.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Echobe

I wish they would.

I wish they would too. No game will ever compare to the original SWG. The depth and feeling of "community" will be almost impossible to ever recreate.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by TUX426

I wish they would.

I wish they would too. No game will ever compare to the original SWG. The depth and feeling of "community" will be almost impossible to ever recreate.

I agree , the community was incredible. Even with the incoming WoW...SOE should have stuck by their guns...but alas.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• EchobeEchobe Member Posts: 262

I am a true believer in the SWG(edit).

They have done a rather wonderful job of it. Almost like old times.

• RedRaptor22RedRaptor22 Member Posts: 44

Have none of you ever heard about the EMU? it's the classic version and it's free.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Changing back to PreCU would be another epic failure. All the content and added features after NGE would be wasted. But I guess that some ppl in this section like to dream and assume that it could all be converted to the old system just like that.

Just the balance pass which would be needed for all content additions since CU would already take a huge amount of dev time.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by someforumguy

Changing back to PreCU would be another epic failure. All the content and added features after NGE would be wasted. But I guess that some ppl in this section like to dream and assume that it could all be converted to the old system just like that.

Just the balance pass which would be needed for all content additions since CU would already take a huge amount of dev time.

Everything added to the game since the NGE (I would say CU, but the time between the CU and NGE was mostly spent with the dev team trying to make the CU core game functional) was a waste of time and effort.  Besides the fact that none of the quests in the game have any depth or logic to them, the core game mechanics ensure that even well thought out content would not be any fun to experience.

Combat in SWG is just flat out bad, so adding content that is combat focused is not any fun, and therefore a waste of time and effort.  Character movement in SWG is clunky and akward, so adding content where you have to move your character is going to feel clunky and akward.  All that is left would be scrolling text, and while it could be implemented in such a way that it becomes a tedious grind, the current SWG dev team doesn't have anyone with enough talent or vision to figure out a way to make reading scrolling text a tedious grind so they wouldn't put forth any effort to implement scrolling text.

Basically, doing anything other than unplugging the servers would be a waste of effort as far as SWG is concerned.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

SOE had problems fixing the Pre-CU and CU versions and they can barely keep the NGE version working.

With what little Dev Team they have now, what makes you think they can run 2 versions?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I liken SWG on release as a sturdy ship minus one sail (space adventure) and a host of small, though considerable leaks in the hull. SOE managed to get the missing sail up and functional, but they totally ignored the leaks in the hull, opting instead to add on coats of various-shaded paint, exotic deck chairs, and gleaming brass fittings, as well as a likeness of a naked lady to adorn the bow. This was the fun stuff to develop. The hull was boring and getting increasingly worse as the hold filled with water.

Star Wars Galaxies was good and could have been great, but SOE had no inclination to fix what needed fixing. The sad thing is that they really haven't learned anything.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Obee

Everything added to the game since the NGE (I would say CU, but the time between the CU and NGE was mostly spent with the dev team trying to make the CU core game functional) was a waste of time and effort.  Besides the fact that none of the quests in the game have any depth or logic to them, the core game mechanics ensure that even well thought out content would not be any fun to experience.

Combat in SWG is just flat out bad, so adding content that is combat focused is not any fun, and therefore a waste of time and effort.  Character movement in SWG is clunky and akward, so adding content where you have to move your character is going to feel clunky and akward.  All that is left would be scrolling text, and while it could be implemented in such a way that it becomes a tedious grind, the current SWG dev team doesn't have anyone with enough talent or vision to figure out a way to make reading scrolling text a tedious grind so they wouldn't put forth any effort to implement scrolling text.

Basically, doing anything other than unplugging the servers would be a waste of effort as far as SWG is concerned.

You are trying to convince the wrong person. Nowhere I said that combat in SWG is any good. I just said that changing back to PreCU is a task that the current team isnt capable of doing.

Your last sentence just shows how selfish you are. There are enough players who enjoy SWG for what it is. Even you should understand that, because otherwise SOE wouldve pulled the plug already.

Hoping they will pull the plug means that you want to take a game away from other players. Thats plain childish. Ill never understand this kind of reasoning. The pure hatred for some company at the cost of other players.

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

Originally posted by JestorRodo

Originally posted by TUX426

I wish they would.

I agree , the community was incredible. Even with the incoming WoW...SOE should have stuck by their guns...but alas.

Greatest community ever...

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by Obee

You are trying to convince the wrong person. Nowhere I said that combat in SWG is any good. I just said that changing back to PreCU is a task that the current team isnt capable of doing.

Your last sentence just shows how selfish you are. There are enough players who enjoy SWG for what it is. Even you should understand that, because otherwise SOE wouldve pulled the plug already.

Hoping they will pull the plug means that you want to take a game away from other players. Thats plain childish. Ill never understand this kind of reasoning. The pure hatred for some company at the cost of other players.

I never wrote that I hoped they would do anything, I just accurately pointed out that the only thing they could do that wasn't a complete waste of effort would be to unplug the servers.  At any rate, the folks who continue to subscribe to SWG, and to SOE products in general, are doing severe harm to everyone by showing there is a market for horribly unfun, buggy wastes of time where tedious grinding is considered content, and a market for horrible customer service and outright hostility from employees of the companny that produces those horrible products.  All that does is ensure there will be many more products that are complete crap and that the folks at SOE will continue to be openly hostile towards their customers.

If it was just confined to SOE, it wouldn't be a big problem.  As it is, folks from other companies see how SOE opperates, or even worse hire former SOE management, and we end up with more comanies like Cryptic in its current state.  We need fewer SOEs and Cryptics, not more.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by meleemadness

Why can't the people at SOE undo what they did and go back to pre-CU in SWG?  That was by far the best game I ever played, period!!! 

i do not understand why they destroyed it but I am even more boggled as to why they can not undo their mistake?  Is there some legal reason or is it stupid pride or what?

SWG at it's peak drew 500k (I heard it was actually like 300k peak) but let's say even if it was 500k with that being the most they can expect to get since anyone "missing" the old swg would be included in that number it's just not very fiscally responsible so I can certainly understand why they don't waste time on it even though I too found the original SWG to be more fun than the CU or NGE.  But I would also like to add that it was not in my opinion any better than anything else on the market then or now, I can attribute it being my first mmo to it's proper position given that fact overall the game just isn't that good.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• sienosieno Member Posts: 119

well number one  if $oe did turn back the hands of time and put up a repolished pre-cu server  it would mean that they were wrong and I dont think smedly could ever live with wrong couse $oe has reminded us how right they are all the way up to the cancel button  but there are still right here is a free trial to show you how right $oe is  reminder  and will forgive us  becouse we dont know what we want in smedleys game in $oe,s mind there right and us as the customers are wrong

p.s please stay tuned next week for point number 2

You want loot? Go kill some npcs, you wanna visit hades? come find ME, and dont forget to bring coins for the ferryman,

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Because the game sucked and no one played it.  Get over it.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Maybe they should just license the you know what and make it legit.  They could throw a little support behind it to get it ready for prime time and it would be like a whole new game they could put on their game list.

The graphics are still good. Good enough.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

I agree.  Played it, even maxed out a character in mutliple classes in search of the Jedi unlock.  One day, while grinding freakin Krayt Dragons, I simply stopped and refused to pay SOE to be BORED anymore.

The game sucked then, it sucks now and the only appeal it had in the past was the fact that it allowed RPer's the freedom to do their thing.  I'm not an RPer, so it just wasnt' for me.  They should have left well enough alone and let them have their game because now the game is just complete crap and good for no one.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by Kyleran

The answer is quite simple, it would not be profitable enough for them to do so.

No, they don't want the small change that creating a classic server might bring, they're thinking of sub numbers in the millions, (think WOW)

Besides, most of the people who created that early game are long gone, and resurrecting it now would be a real challenge.

^ this

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo