Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A safe haven

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I am someone who jumps from MMO to MMO, i like parts and tidbits of all of them and i dislike other parts of them... So i keep jumping from game to game... sub a month here, leave it behind, sub a month to another game and then 2 months to game X.

With GW2 being a free game, and no sub game i finally have a free game to return whenever i want, and when i don't want to play GW2 for some days and try something different, i can allways return as i don't need a new subscription for the game. So i hope it will be a free haven for me, to return to whenever i want to, but without forcing me to play night after night after night..

GW2 will be my new home from where i can jump to anyother game, but allways being able to return without extra costs.

I surely will play SW:TOR to experience their world, but i will allways return to GW2...

Yes this game promises to be my new home.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I am someone who jumps from MMO to MMO, i like parts and tidbits of all of them and i dislike other parts of them... So i keep jumping from game to game... sub a month here, leave it behind, sub a month to another game and then 2 months to game X.

With GW2 being a free game, and no sub game i finally have a free game to return whenever i want, and when i don't want to play GW2 for some days and try something different, i can allways return as i don't need a new subscription for the game. So i hope it will be a free haven for me, to return to whenever i want to, but without forcing me to play night after night after night..

GW2 will be my new home from where i can jump to anyother game, but allways being able to return without extra costs.

I surely will play SW:TOR to experience their world, but i will allways return to GW2...

Personally I intend to make it the other way around but I know exactly what you mean, if they keep with the box sale only model they will do well simply out of people like us who want a fall back MMO to add variety without adding another sub fee.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Assuming of course that GW2 is entertaining enough to be worth going back to of course.

With me and GW1 it was 3 months and i was done with it for good.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jdram14jdram14 Member Posts: 36

@Kyleran: Did you no-life it or something? I can imagine beating all three games and even the expansion in that time, but the main story is mostly skin-deep. The real game starts once you've begun to master every profession and use them in the most powerful combinations possible.

I've been playing GW for over 5 years now. Sure, I've taken breaks for summer activities, other MMOs, and other single-player games as well. But GW has never really gotten old. There's still so much I need to accomplish before Guild Wars 2. I mean, I've only maxed out 13 titles!

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I've always came back to Guild Wars. Sometimes I was away for a month or two but it was always something I could come to and have fun. Not everybody is going to like the same thing. Kyleran didn't like it and there are others as well, no big deal. I'm sure there are games he and others like that I don't.

The only problem I have of other people and their input on games is if they are spreading lies or stating something without any facts or support behind that statement. An obvious example is that some people think GW2 will be fully instanced like GW was and they state as a fact.

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by jdram14

@Kyleran: Did you no-life it or something? I can imagine beating all three games and even the expansion in that time, but the main story is mostly skin-deep. The real game starts once you've begun to master every profession and use them in the most powerful combinations possible.

I've been playing GW for over 5 years now. Sure, I've taken breaks for summer activities, other MMOs, and other single-player games as well. But GW has never really gotten old. There's still so much I need to accomplish before Guild Wars 2. I mean, I've only maxed out 13 titles!

Meh some people just don't like that type of game. The pvp was always for the most part the shining section of that game. In the begining it had pretty much the best Arena style pvp in an mmo. Currently it still has one of the best but of course as the game progressed and people got better at it, it became harder and harderb for an average player to attempt to get into a higher level pvp. Still the classes are fairly balanced compared to other games *cough*WoW*cough* and it is purely based on skill based with gear having zero effect in pvp or pve for that matter.

For the most part gw1 was a pvp game with pve tacked on I completely understand why some pve players really didn't like it. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Warband

For the most part gw1 was a pvp game with pve tacked on I completely understand why some pve players really didn't like it. 

I think many of the missions where a lot of fun and challenging, so the PvE was okay. But then it was not a real open world, which was also why those missions worked so good as things where more predictable for developers, no more 5 groups of 5 players ravaging content meant for groups of 3 players.

Its like every advantge has its disadvantge... but PvE was okay by my standards and in some of the better missions really excellent.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Warband

I think many of the missions where a lot of fun and challenging, so the PvE was okay. But then it was not a real open world, which was also why those missions worked so good as things where more predictable for developers, no more 5 groups of 5 players ravaging content meant for groups of 3 players.

Its like every advantge has its disadvantge... but PvE was okay by my standards and in some of the better missions really excellent.

Yeah the missions were pretty good, it's just that because most of the game had been designed around the pvp it massively limited what could be done with pve with it mostly beening some quests and missions with little variation. For what it was gw1 was great but because of that it couldn't really be expanded into a particularly deep pve experience.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Same here...At least my crippled player's soul will rest for eternity:))

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• jdram14jdram14 Member Posts: 36

It's really interesting to read the replies on this thread.

I mentioned above that I've been playing on and off (mostly on) for the past five years.  In that time, nearly all of it has been spent on PvE content.  The only exception are Alliance Battles and Jade Quarry.  Otherwise I find structured PvP too much of a barrier to pass through.  I could do it if I cared, but I'd rather play the PvE and enjoy the story, the lore and the characters.  For me personally, it's Guild Wars' powerful storytelling ability that has sold me day after day after day.  Good stories are very often lacking in video games and especially in online games.

All that beside, I'm an explorer by nature.  I'm one of those people who actually reads quest dialogue.  Don't judge.  =P

Edit - I never really made my point did I?  I basically find it interesting that so many people don't care for Guild Wars' PvE, and even consider it "tacked on."  I think it's a thousand times more engaging than PvP.

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

I must admit, from what I've seen so far this could be the online 'haven' I have been waiting for the past several years.

However, I'll not be looking at it with 'rose tinted specs' (just yet :P). Lets hope Anet produce the corker of a game we all wish for.

RP and exploration aspects do appear to be a significant hook with this title and the world vs world pvp sounds moderately enticing even to an untalented "clicker" like me :P