Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TRON MMORPG

ext1ext1 Member Posts: 98

Where the hell is my TRON MMO? It seems like an easy and natural choice for a developer out there somewhere....

That is all.

Comments

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by ext1

Where the hell is my TRON MMO? It seems like an easy and natural choice for a developer out there somewhere....

That is all.

Funny you should mention this....

Yesterday, me the wife and our 2 daughters went to see Iron Man 2. Immediately upon entering I saw an advertisement for Tron. Guess they are redoing it.

They had a Tron PC game a few yrs back, but IIRC it didnt sell well.

As far as a MMO.....I dont know....racing cars and frisbee throwing would prpbably get old....but then again who knows. I would say if they are going to make one, this one be the right time to cash in on it.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,935

Ive been saying for a while that Tron would be a perfect fit for an MMO.

I mean, computer programs controlled by people interacting and fighting each other on a common server? Absolutely perfect.

The problem before was that the computer world wasnt fleshed out enough. With the upcoming movie that problem is now solved.

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

I Don’t know about a perfect fit, but it beats the heck out of another Avatar mmo thread :D

I assume you are not thinking open sandbox/world style and just a CRPG mmo or quasi-mmo type of game. I mean the rebellion was not that big, they were just following the instructions set by the CPU most of them. Could I play a single-minded automaton in a sandbox? Uhh… don’t think so. In a game like GW style? Could work with everyone the hero and stuffed into instances, but I’d be more interested in it if it were just a solo CRPG. Actually could make for a good pure mmofps really, that I could spin, like old PlanetSide.

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,303

Originally posted by Moaky07

Originally posted by ext1

That is all.

Funny you should mention this....

Yesterday, me the wife and our 2 daughters went to see Iron Man 2. Immediately upon entering I saw an advertisement for Tron. Guess they are redoing it.

They had a Tron PC game a few yrs back, but IIRC it didnt sell well.

As far as a MMO.....I dont know....racing cars and frisbee throwing would prpbably get old....but then again who knows. I would say if they are going to make one, this one be the right time to cash in on it.

I recently saw some trailers for the new Tron movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HcsDc_9LX8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9szn1QQfas&feature=related

having seen the original in the theater (and I own a copy) I'd love a tron mmo. Especially if it adapted the slightly darker art desing of the remake.

It's perfect because there is so much there but not anything that pidgeon hole's any particular story. So much could be built on it. This is one of the few science/fantasy ip's that would actually keep me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RedRaptor22RedRaptor22 Member Posts: 44

Dunno how tron would lend itself to an mmo, I'm guessing it would be like said above, lightbike racing and frisbee tossing would get old really quick.

I wanna know where my Bladerunner mmo is! along with my Bladerunner pt2!

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

If done right, I'd give my left testicle to play a Tron MMO. I'd give them both, but I already gave up the other a few years ago when I said something similar about a Tron movie sequel. Next thing you know I'm in a Disney executive's office and... well, things get a bit hazy after that.  image

Originally posted by RedRaptor22

Dunno how tron would lend itself to an mmo, I'm guessing it would be like said above, lightbike racing and frisbee tossing would get old really quick.

oh, it's very easy.

In drawing you dont' necessarily have to draw every line in a portrait but can easily get away with drawing only a few lines to suggest some contour and eventually you will see the face.

Everything we know of the world of tron would be those lines.

Light cycles and killer frisbee matches are what goes on inside the world of tron. They don't define tron.

The world of tron is a world that is ruled by master computer, you have programs (the people) who either fall in line or are against this new order, you have the religious zealots who believe in the Users who created them and you have a vast landscape which to build on.

Since the original tron was just one person's story in this landscape it assumes that there was a world before and obviously, because of the sequel, after him.

It's perfect because it doesn't have huge story issues that confine it but only help define it. It is perfect because one can build quite a bit into this realm without really ruining anything.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

It was a great trailer. The movie is a sequel ...not a redo thank gods. I would like to see a TRON MMO....but I don't know if I could take that flourescent blue color scheme for very long...think i'd get a raging headache.

Originally posted by Sovrath

The world of tron is a world that is ruled by master computer, you have programs (the people) who either fall in line or are against this new order,

That's the problem, they are not people. The people.. or person, was that one guy, that was it. Those that helped him were a small handful of rebels against the CPU, the ones that he changed. Otherwise, every program followed it's instructions and gave account to the CPU like good little drones.

You could make more of them rebels, but where does the story end then? It changes it, changes it to something else. Now you have 1 million programs, and none can defeat the CPU. And if they did defeat the CPU, the game would end.

How do you get around the 1 actual person problem? I mean if you don’t change the programs, you introduce more people form the outside, ok. So 1 million humans running around in the mainframe. What movie/book is this again? We should do the same to Shakespeare then, add UFO's and nuclear submarines into Hamlet to make it fit better into some sort of perceived progress. We'll sell them at McDonald’s with any apple turnover purchase. heh

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

An MMO for Tron would be a nice change of pace if done right. The universe is a great setting for gaming, if anyone played Tron 2.0 , which was fps a couple of years ago. But it looks like another game will come out roughly simultaneously with the movie. I hope it doesn't follow the usual forumula of game-from-movie=suck.

http://disney.go.com/tron/#/game

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by Daywolf

The world of tron is a world that is ruled by master computer, you have programs (the people) who either fall in line or are against this new order,

That's the problem, they are not people. The people.. or person, was that one guy, that was it. Those that helped him were a small handful of rebels against the CPU, the ones that he changed. Otherwise, every program followed it's instructions and gave account to the CPU like good little drones.

You could make more of them rebels, but where does the story end then? It changes it, changes it to something else. Now you have 1 million programs, and none can defeat the CPU. And if they did defeat the CPU, the game would end.

How do you get around the 1 actual person problem? I mean if you don’t change the programs, you introduce more people form the outside, ok. So 1 million humans running around in the mainframe. What movie/book is this again? We should do the same to Shakespeare then, add UFO's and nuclear submarines into Hamlet to make it fit better into some sort of perceived progress. We'll sell them at McDonald’s with any apple turnover purchase. heh

that's not true at all.

If that was true then He wouldn't have had help. He wouldn't have faced that one opponent who was scared to death.

Essentially each player would represent a program. They would not be sucked into the computer world. That's not hard to imagine. You have essentially just gravitated to one way of doing it by having a human get inside the computer. I'm saying that each player would play a program. And as I said, not everyone ran to master computer. Certainly not the two who helped Jeff Bridges and certainly not the priest who believed in the users.

And your example of hamlet and ufo's is way off. Essentially you have just created some worst case scenario as no one is saying add anything that isn't congruent to the world.

• RedRaptor22RedRaptor22 Member Posts: 44

oh, it's very easy.

In drawing you dont' necessarily have to draw every line in a portrait but can easily get away with drawing only a few lines to suggest some contour and eventually you will see the face.

Light cycles and killer frisbee matches are what goes on inside the world of tron. They don't define tron.

The world of tron is a world that is ruled by master computer, you have programs (the people) who either fall in line or are against this new order, you have the religious zealots who believe in the Users who created them and you have a vast landscape which to build on.

Since the original tron was just one person's story in this landscape it assumes that there was a world before and obviously, because of the sequel, after him.

It's perfect because it doesn't have huge story issues that confine it but only help define it. It is perfect because one can build quite a bit into this realm without really ruining anything.

I know what the world of tron is about, seen the movie about a million times...Just speaking in terms of combat most of it takes place in the form of games, aside from the tanks there was nothing that resembles what the typical person considers combat.

I agree from a visual and development standpoint tron would lend itself easily to an mmo, the world is so basic that you could endlessly detail the "programs" to the point of photo-realism and still have it play like a dream.

I'm just curious how it would work as an mmo because of the combat and lack of most standard mmo/game features like economy and itemization and stuff.

If they did want it to be immersive they would have to create a lot of things that you just don't see in the tron world.

oh, it's very easy.

I know what the world of tron is about, seen the movie about a million times...Just speaking in terms of combat most of it takes place in the form of games, aside from the tanks there was nothing that resembles what the typical person considers combat.

I agree from a visual and development standpoint tron would lend itself easily to an mmo, the world is so basic that you could endlessly detail the "programs" to the point of photo-realism and still have it play like a dream.

I'm just curious how it would work as an mmo because of the combat and lack of most standard mmo/game features like economy and itemization and stuff.

If they did want it to be immersive they would have to create a lot of things that you just don't see in the tron world.

Well, why not just before master computer took over? Or perhaps after Master Computer was destroyed?

Economy, well, didn't they have energy as some sort of power ups? Maybe it would be more like city of heroes and there isn't a huge amount of "items".

The developers would just have to think a bit outside the box and not make a standard mmo.

It's the world that is very interesting as only a part of it is define by the story of tron.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Wouldn't mind a Tron MMO, but would really love to see Bladerunner MMORPG, heck would even love to just see a Bladerunner GAME regardless if it's a MMO image

that's not true at all.

If that was true then He wouldn't have had help. He wouldn't have faced that one opponent who was scared to death.

Essentially each player would represent a program. They would not be sucked into the computer world. That's not hard to imagine. You have essentially just gravitated to one way of doing it by having a human get inside the computer. I'm saying that each player would play a program. And as I said, not everyone ran to master computer. Certainly not the two who helped Jeff Bridges and certainly not the priest who believed in the users.

And your example of hamlet and ufo's is way off. Essentially you have just created some worst case scenario as no one is saying add anything that isn't congruent to the world.

Well, it really comes down to the same debate that SW mmo's don't let players become clone troopers, as they are tight on orders with little to no free will as they were bred that way. Same for program’s in Tron I would take it, as too are programmed to survive, but essentially follow a strict execution of commands and intents.

The setting is awesome, but the characters are week in regards to being believable with players in command acting often in non-logical thinking patterns as humans sometimes or often do. I can't find immersion in it, apart from a nice looking setting. That's why I brought up PlanetSide and as an mmofps, as it's centric to a single function, not population and social gaming but combat and supremacy. Seems to be more in tune to the story at least, less about human experience and more about following a strict code in military fashion. Still the human element, but more buried under the polished uniformity.

that's not true at all.

Well, it really comes down to the same debate that SW mmo's don't let players become clone troopers, as they are tight on orders with little to no free will as they were bred that way. Same for program’s in Tron I would take it, as too are programmed to survive, but essentially follow a strict execution of commands and intents.

The setting is awesome, but the characters are week in regards to being believable with players in command acting often in non-logical thinking patterns as humans sometimes or often do. I can't find immersion in it, apart from a nice looking setting. That's why I brought up PlanetSide and as an mmofps, as it's centric to a single function, not population and social gaming but combat and supremacy. Seems to be more in tune to the story at least, less about human experience and more about following a strict code in military fashion. Still the human element, but more buried under the polished uniformity.

but again how do you explain all the main characters within the tron universe that had free will?

I get what you are saying and to a certain extent that argument also works exceptionally well in lord of the rings as the orcs weren't going off and doing whatever the heck they want.

So I am very sensitive and appreciative to your argument. But since there is precedent for free thinking programs I don't see the issue with players being programs. The npc's can be the programs that don't really think for themselves.

edit: oh and the guards couldn't be players because they essentially were what they were. So yeah, I get it. But again, there are free thinking programs within the tron universe.

Originally posted by Reklaw

Wouldn't mind a Tron MMO, but would really love to see Bladerunner MMORPG, heck would even love to just see a Bladerunner GAME regardless if it's a MMO image

There was. It was a point and click isomentric adventure game :) I had a copy, then gave it to my dad years ago. An MMO would work, though maybe the IP would need a dusting first, like with a late sequel first, or remake. Pref not a Disney 3D movie ;)

that's not true at all.

but again how do you explain all the main characters within the tron universe that had free will?

I get what you are saying and to a certain extent that argument also works exceptionally well in lord of the rings as the orcs weren't going off and doing whatever the heck they want.

So I am very sensitive and appreciative to your argument. But since there is precedent for free thinking programs I don't see the issue with players being programs. The npc's can be the programs that don't really think for themselves.

edit: oh and the guards couldn't be players because they essentially were what they were. So yeah, I get it. But again, there are free thinking programs within the tron universe.

Essentially they were effected as if exposed to a virus. The human was a sort of virus, remember when they would change colors? He had an effect on the environment, one that changed the entire environment in the end. In the new movie, he is still there, but now they all follow him, and I guess he went evil or something, who knows, and his son or grandson is the new visitor. In the end they will change again I suppose, liberated from the current state into yet another. Linear short story, but in a nice environment. I'm sure they will make another game, but I just have a hard time rationalizing plot from the story for a persistent world mmo.

that's not true at all.

Essentially they were effected as if exposed to a virus. The human was a sort of virus, remember when they would change colors? He had an effect on the environment, one that changed the entire environment in the end. In the new movie, he is still there, but now they all follow him, and I guess he went evil or something, who knows, and his son or grandson is the new visitor. In the end they will change again I suppose, liberated from the current state into yet another. Linear short story, but in a nice environment. I'm sure they will make another game, but I just have a hard time rationalizing plot from the story for a persistent world mmo.

I seem to remember something about that. He was like a virus I suppose.

Ok, so why not have it that several users got into the computer (non player) and affected some of the programs. It would have to be more like a RVR type of game then if there needs to be some sort of pull from some stronger force such as a user.

And I think you are correct, the plot of the new movie seems to lean towards jeff bridges going back in, maybe even with the idea that a human mind could control a computer more readily and easily from inside and he was somehow corrupted.

Edit, though that doesn't exactly explain the priest?

edit 2 though it seems that there is a delete scene that suggests that the programs might have had some free will prior to Jeff Bridges arriving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qq1py7BQGo&feature=related

edit 3: another scene where two characters are introduced to jeff bridges and it seems that they also have free will without any influence from him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEU5Mk_pmlE&feature=related

still the point is a good one.

Not sure, we'll have to see what they do with the story :)

If anything, it could go like a GuildWars type of game I could imagine. Put all the CRPG features into offline play and like Steam does with Portal and record awards. Then have multi-player options and gather in a post-game world (like GW end-game islands) to play light bikes, Frisbees and a ton of other multi-player mini-games and combat arenas.

Not sure, we'll have to see what they do with the story :)

If anything, it could go like a GuildWars type of game I could imagine. Put all the CRPG features into offline play and like Steam does with Portal and record awards. Then have multi-player options and gather in a post-game world (like GW end-game islands) to play light bikes, Frisbees and a ton of other multi-player mini-games and combat arenas.

Don't forget Jai-Alai image

though I doubt there will ever be a Tron mmo.