Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is going to be playing Mortal Online & why?

2»

Comments

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

wont play it,  pvp in 1st person view is stupid. Pretty much just shows the talent these guys have.

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

I have also been following this game for over  a year but I won't subscribe now for the following reasons

• I want more general stability to the game

• I want more PVE content and places to explore that are worthwhile

I am confident they will address these things .Reasons I will subscribe

• I like the Dev's ..they do communicate and I do believe in there vision of where they want the game to get to

• I like the concept of the game e.g. skills based game in  a brutal world

Lets give SV the benefit of the doubt around this MMO and what it can become

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• AevirAevir Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

wont play it,  pvp in 1st person view is stupid. Pretty much just shows the talent these guys have.

So developers who makes MMO's in FPV have less talent than those who make games in TPV (3rd Person VIew)? I usually play all games in FPV if I can so thats not a problem for me.

OnT: No I won't. I rather wait some months and play with less bugs. If there will be less bugs months later lol.

• ange10ange10 Member Posts: 307

Originally posted by Sasami

Originally posted by funkmastaD

I will be playing at release as well.    I don't see the problem with controls to be honest, though the GUI in general is very basic and a bit clunky.  Combat is somewhat slower than darkfall, but much more tactical in that attacks are more deliberate and consequential.  First person view is also a great touch once you get used to it.   That being said, below are my main motivations for playing:

1) It has all the fundamental elements of a good sandbox:   FFA PvP with full loot,  Local banking,  open skill system (no levels), very limited NPC supply of goods (players craft most (all?) armor and weapons used in the game).  If none of these (or the idea of a 'sandbox' games in general) appeal to you than MO is not your game.

Full loot means lot of people run naked since dying doesn't give penalty. It has no economy at all since thieving makes hubs useless. Local banking is making it worst. Game isn't sandbox like most game it's box with sand nothing else!

this would be not be the case seeing that naked people die in like 1-3 hits with a decent weapon

2) The richest crafting system I've ever seen.  There's thousands of possible combinations for  weapons (and armor), and most every stat for every item you make is dependent on your choice of materials for the weapons.

Which 90% is totally useless since they are crappy versions which you make when you LEVEL your crafting skill. Since crafting takes no real skill at all, you only need to know what to use (which can be found anyday in net). It's highly confusing first since this is so hardcore that nothing is explained (again forcing people to read on net instead of making game player friendly).

again not the case seeing getting good gear takes time and you have to get certain resouces for decent gear and getting metal armour and weapons takes a very long time so i doubt we will see many people in the best gear and how would you explain to people that there is so many  different possible recipes and the even getting the best metal ingame is only known to a select few which may not even be the best metal.

3) no grind  - you can reach the skill cap in a casual week (edit: closer to two probably), and can switch your build pretty easily.

Bullshit, it's all grind to get skill up. And it's dead boring since there isn't enough mobs and they seem to float and bug all time. It's really boring.

the grind is small and not really noticable seeing you can get most of your stats maxed out in 1-2 days and then work on your skills which just gradully get up and there are mobs everywhere, obviously you have not played the game, its way better then any other game currently on the market aka world of warcraft or darkfall for example at least the grind is fun, you can pvp other people and you actully have to do some fighting when going up against mobs instead of just spamming the 1-9 key and having auto combat on like other games at least mortal online you have to use your brain in some situations.

4) THIEVES!  A controversial addition that solves the "Safe Zone VS. Gank Zone" dichotomy that plagues most sandbox MMO's (EVE, DF, etc), and makes cities a bit more interesting.  They recently took this out

Doesn't work. Now all are exploiting this feature all time. Whole point of NPC cities are to work as trade hubs, now most people avoid them since they are plagued with thieves. Highly unbalanced.

its to be expected, thieves will be in major cities and thieving was only bad in meduli and fab, other towns like bakti and mk, the theive population was quite low and also in the beta thieving was the highlight so many people become theives to kill time but thieving was abit unbalanced so its been removed and are improving the system plus thievs are very easy to counter if you get used to them, 1. theives are always  in rags or naked, 2. check behind you 3. even towns are not safe which i like about mortal online and this may not be fun for some but mortal online attracts players like me who like risk vs reward.

5) The devs are pretty cool.  They communicate much more often than any other dev team I've seen (often to their detriment), and their shady dealings are tame compared to industry standard.

Rubbish, they kept saying they fixed desync issue for 5 months! They closed open beta without ever testing miracle patch which they again claimed to fix desync issue, just like they did for last 5 months! Communication has been bad, fact that they hang in IRC doesn't help when they kept pushing information to last minute, example release dates.

desync is fixed, its a ploblem of the past, the issue it self was not on their fault but epic chinas seeing they bought the network solution from epic and even if communication is bad in the sense of irc its still way way more frequent then other companies who do not speak to their customers on the level sv do in terms of casual chats and stuff like most companies just keep to offical announcements but you can talk to the developers on the irc or have them comment in the forum, but in the past they was more frequent in the forum but of course its a very busy time for the developers.

Overall whole game is bare skeleton without meat. But hey it's hardcore; crafting is hit and miss style (unless you read everything on net), no info is available in game all are available in net (I guess knowing how to use google and browser is REALLY hardcore), there is no inside game communication(unless you use irc or other chat), fighting seem to favor running around and swinging mindlesly due lag, you have large areas to run around mindlessly without ever founding any mobs or people. Everything is basic, everything is bland after few weeks, it's boring, full of gankers and HC nazis.

pvp is one of the main core features of mortal online and after release they can work on adding the other features that uo had and i have not experinced much lag since the update and also im not sure about what you mean by never seeing mobs or people when for example in the open beta i usally see a person every 5 mins somewhere in hte game and yes some things may feel basic but thats because sv just want to get the core features polished and work on the rest to come and you may feel its boring and fall of gankers nad HC nazis but some others still like it.

i feel like you compared mortal online with darkfall, which has most of the ploblems you just listed, like naked ganking, weak weapons never really used, and of course the grind in darkfall was horrible and boring and thats why most players cheat and macro.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by ange10

1. There were naked people EVERYWHERE, regardless how quickly they died

2. The best "secret" metal recipe (known) can be found on google, I found it in about 30 seconds of search

3. I maxed my stats in 1 day, and almost maxed the skills in about 5 days-1 week

4. Thieving is as bad as it can get. I was in Morin-Kur (for one), and the population was about 60% thieves. That was incredible! SV just thrown the thieving idea in the game to make it look like UO, but never put 5 minutes of thinking in it. A thief can run to you, you SEE that he's trying to search your inventory, and you CAN'T DO ANYTHING!!! If you hit the thief, you go gray and you die! (They want realism?? How is that real? If a thief comes to me in RL, and I see him, I will beat the crap out of him before the cops get there. He will need an ambulance, not hand-cuffs)

5. Stop calling it "desync"! It's not, it's just bad programing, and it's not fixed. The problem existed since the begining, and NOTHING they did solved it. I'm pretty sure they can't fix in a few days what they were incapable of fixing in about 1 year.

And one more thing.. the devs are not THAT nice as some of you think they are. When I was testing, I tried to report some bugs, and at about my 3rd report, I was told quite ironically that I'm "very unlucky, to get all the bugs while some players don't find bugs at all" (LOL). They probably didn't took too nicely me finding all sort of bugs in their "professional" programing.

Also, the people that played in the Beta have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what Beta is, and what a beta tester should do. They just have "fun" for free, and flame the people that report problems. 

P.S. I have written about some specific stuff here, try telling me that I haven't played the game!

• GarinoldGarinold Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by WraithHunter

2. The best "secret" metal recipe (known) can be found on google, I found it in about 30 seconds of search

3. I maxed my stats in 1 day, and almost maxed the skills in about 5 days-1 week

4. Thieving is as bad as it can get. I was in Morin-Kur (for one), and the population was about 60% thieves. That was incredible! SV just thrown the thieving idea in the game to make it look like UO, but never put 5 minutes of thinking in it. A thief can run to you, you SEE that he's trying to search your inventory, and you CAN'T DO ANYTHING!!! If you hit the thief, you go gray and you die! (They want realism?? How is that real? If a thief comes to me in RL, and I see him, I will beat the crap out of him before the cops get there. He will need an ambulance, not hand-cuffs)

5. Stop calling it "desync"! It's not, it's just bad programing, and it's not fixed. The problem existed since the begining, and NOTHING they did solved it. I'm pretty sure they can't fix in a few days what they were incapable of fixing in about 1 year.

And one more thing.. the devs are not THAT nice as some of you think they are. When I was testing, I tried to report some bugs, and at about my 3rd report, I was told quite ironically that I'm "very unlucky, to get all the bugs while some players don't find bugs at all" (LOL). They probably didn't took too nicely me finding all sort of bugs in their "professional" programing.

Also, the people that played in the Beta have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what Beta is, and what a beta tester should do. They just have "fun" for free, and flame the people that report problems. 

P.S. I have written about some specific stuff here, try telling me that I haven't played the game!

That works both ways.  I've seen a lot of people that flame a game they're beta testing for being unpolished.  "The game sucks...there are bugs!"  "This game blows....there isn't much content!"  "There are to many theives in capital cities"  "A lot of the stuff used for lvling crafting sucks!"  Well sorry that not every MMO can be made by Blizzard, have an alpha phase of 10 years, and be completely polished for open beta.

I know I asked for some of the issues regarding game mechanics.  Some of the issues discussed in this thread don't sound like anything a typical company can't remedy.  There are a lot of theives in the capital cities?  Well I'm sure they can easily fix that with either a nerf, or perhaps an enhanced guard presence.  Lots of naked people?  Did you miss the sign which said "Topless Beach"?...jk Its beta, & none of these problems sound like they should hinder the overall game.  There were probably a lot of naked people because they just don't understand basic pvp tactics & strategies to employ in a FFA pvp envirnoment.

A lot of people are bitching and moaning over 1st person view.  Personally I'd rather have 3rd person.  However, I played EQ1 in 1st person so its not completely alien to me, and besides its an interesting perspective on the action.  And ask yourself; if the main problem with the game is 1st person view, isn't that still better than the problems that plague other pvp games on the market?  Ultimately, I would rather struggle with getting use to 1st person view for maybe the first month of gameplay than go play Warhammer online for pvp and essentially engage in glorified dueling in its themepark joke of rvr.  Play WoW pvp, and be limited to a few pvp zones w/ flying mounts or arenas?  No thanks.....Oh about going back to DAoC, which only has like 2.5k people playing it.....nope.

And to be honest, I don't think your limited experience in working with the devs is representative of their true capabilities.  Ultimately, you're just one person that is saying this.  Not every hard working beta tester that reported every bug he/she came across will share the same prespective.  Furthermore, you don't know what has been going on behind the scenes.  This "desync" problem, whatever it is, is as you probably know just one of many problems.  After reading this post, and posts regarding the open beta in the past, it sounds like this company actually used beta for what it should be used for.  Instead of having an alpha phase that lasts for 60 thousand years, and using beta simply as an advertisement for how polished the game is to attract subscribers, they actually wanted to test and develop the game outside of their inner circle.  It is what it is....not every company can be blizzard, with auto-massive sale franchises like "Warcraft", "Starcraft", & "Diablo".

It is a shame though that people won't play, what looks like a pretty decent MMO, because of things like 1st person view, or there is some stupid lag bug.  If what you're saying is true, that it is some strange massive bug that is totally unfixable by the company, or they don't bother, and it totally ruins gameplay to the point that the game itself is unplayable....than yes I understand not playing.  I've honestly never seen anything like that though in 11 total MMOs played.  Warhammer was one of the buggier games I've played recently, and to be honest there weren't bugs that ruined gameplay and were left unfixed for a substantial amount of time.

• ThorpeyroxThorpeyrox Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by Garinold

Originally posted by WraithHunter

Good post Garinold but here's the kicker, the desync was fixed ages ago as in absolutely fixed.

They've added quiet a bit more content but yet posts on this forum suggest they've added nothing.

Clearly large amounts of naked people/ A high population of theives is a BETA ONLY PROBLEM. Come release people will be bothered to grind a little for mats and a huge majority won't want to waste skill points on theiving due to the fact you earn more killing the basic mobs. Yet people here will still flag them as 'major' game breaking issues.

My point being people need to check their facts before swearing down that they're true.

• KhorsKhors Member Posts: 147

Desync fixed, recipes shuffled from what I hear, and thievery taken out of towns. . .now Im ready to look.  Downloading the client now.  If theres anyone in a US-based clan, send me a pm here for an applicant.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I'm going to wait on it. The game will still be a mess at launch, and not even just technical issues - community ones. I'll wait for it to calm down and get it's shit together, because what I played in OB wasn't bad at all, just a mass of frustrating bugs and players.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• consortitudeconsortitude Member Posts: 36

I will be playing at release as well.    I don't see the problem with controls to be honest, though the GUI in general is very basic and a bit clunky.  Combat is somewhat slower than darkfall, but much more tactical in that attacks are more deliberate and consequential.  First person view is also a great touch once you get used to it.   That being said, below are my main motivations for playing:

1) It has all the fundamental elements of a good sandbox:   FFA PvP with full loot,  Local banking,  open skill system (no levels), very limited NPC supply of goods (players craft most (all?) armor and weapons used in the game).  If none of these (or the idea of a 'sandbox' games in general) appeal to you than MO is not your game.

Full loot means lot of people run naked since dying doesn't give penalty. It has no economy at all since thieving makes hubs useless. Local banking is making it worst. Game isn't sandbox like most game it's box with sand nothing else!

2) The richest crafting system I've ever seen.  There's thousands of possible combinations for  weapons (and armor), and most every stat for every item you make is dependent on your choice of materials for the weapons.

Which 90% is totally useless since they are crappy versions which you make when you LEVEL your crafting skill. Since crafting takes no real skill at all, you only need to know what to use (which can be found anyday in net). It's highly confusing first since this is so hardcore that nothing is explained (again forcing people to read on net instead of making game player friendly).

3) no grind  - you can reach the skill cap in a casual week (edit: closer to two probably), and can switch your build pretty easily.

Bullshit, it's all grind to get skill up. And it's dead boring since there isn't enough mobs and they seem to float and bug all time. It's really boring.

4) THIEVES!  A controversial addition that solves the "Safe Zone VS. Gank Zone" dichotomy that plagues most sandbox MMO's (EVE, DF, etc), and makes cities a bit more interesting.  They recently took this out

Doesn't work. Now all are exploiting this feature all time. Whole point of NPC cities are to work as trade hubs, now most people avoid them since they are plagued with thieves. Highly unbalanced.

5) The devs are pretty cool.  They communicate much more often than any other dev team I've seen (often to their detriment), and their shady dealings are tame compared to industry standard.

Rubbish, they kept saying they fixed desync issue for 5 months! They closed open beta without ever testing miracle patch which they again claimed to fix desync issue, just like they did for last 5 months! Communication has been bad, fact that they hang in IRC doesn't help when they kept pushing information to last minute, example release dates.

Overall whole game is bare skeleton without meat. But hey it's hardcore; crafting is hit and miss style (unless you read everything on net), no info is available in game all are available in net (I guess knowing how to use google and browser is REALLY hardcore), there is no inside game communication(unless you use irc or other chat), fighting seem to favor running around and swinging mindlesly due lag, you have large areas to run around mindlessly without ever founding any mobs or people. Everything is basic, everything is bland after few weeks, it's boring, full of gankers and HC nazis.

100% agree with the above posters, this game is just a barren, boring gankfest.  What few people you see swearing it is so awsome are fanbois that would worship it if it were smeared on toilet paper and flushed down the drain to the sewer where it belongs.  I was suckered into buying it last year, but I won't be sucker enough to hand SV another penny this year.  Oh and I'm still pissed about them setting me to auto-renew without any notification of doing so.  Fortunately, I saw that they were doing it on MMORPG.com and was able to go change it to not renew though.  Thanks mmorpg.com!

They sold us a half-baked Fail-sauced pizza.
    * With a side of monthly fee!

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by consortitude

100% agree with the above posters, this game is just a barren, boring gankfest.  What few people you see swearing it is so awsome are fanbois that would worship it if it were smeared on toilet paper and flushed down the drain to the sewer where it belongs.  I was suckered into buying it last year, but I won't be sucker enough to hand SV another penny this year.  Oh and I'm still pissed about them setting me to auto-renew without any notification of doing so.  Fortunately, I saw that they were doing it on MMORPG.com and was able to go change it to not renew though.  Thanks mmorpg.com!

THIS. You can see and do just about everything in a day or two.  The only mildly interesting part is the crafting and that is outweighed by the gankfests or bugged guards and full loot. The hassle of remaking armor/weapons(easy once learned) once it's stolen just isn't worth it. Combat is buggy at best which REALLY makes a PvP heavy game an excercise in futility. 

Once I figured out how all the systems worked I was done with the game and have had zero desire to ever play it again. It's a third rate unpolished game with decent ideas and zero follow through.