Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is going to be playing Mortal Online & why?

GarinoldGarinold Member Posts: 29

For a long time I have been keeping an eye on Mortal Online.  I had always thought it would be the best pvp MMO since DAoC (I am referencing my expierences on the FFA servers in DAoC, not RvR).  However, during the beta phase I started hearing some bad stories about the gameplay mechanics & the difficulty of the controls.  I heard from one person say that he hadn't figured out how to cast a spell (and this was late in the closed beta testing).  For those of you who have been in beta, what do you think of this game?  Is it noticibly harder to use your character in this game compared to others, or is what I heard a load of BS?  How is the overall gameplay in the game? 

Also, do you guys think this game can run well on a laptop?

Specs -

Windows XP

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

GeForce 8600M GT

EDIT:  I know this game is being sold in Europe.  Is this a game that will show up in stores at release, or is it going to be the purchase online & download type of situation?

Comments

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

2 things would get me to play MO

1: Fixing of bugs and issues to where it was at least as stable as Darkfalls (or even AOC launch)

2:  Third person view in melee combat ,  mounted and resting.  I know this has been debate a million times but i hate fpv melee.

• ButtermilchButtermilch Member Posts: 208

Controls are HORRIBLE.

I won't play this. Gameplay seems to be boring too.

I tried OpenBeta btw.

• GarinoldGarinold Member Posts: 29

Can someone please elaborate on the gameplay in MO & explain in detail the various aspects to allegedly suck?  Also can someone elaborate on why the controls are "horrible"?  As I have said this isn't the first time I have heard this, and it sounds like one of the dumbest things the devs can do to screw up a perfectly good MMO.

• merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by Garinold

Can someone please elaborate on the gameplay in MO & explain in detail the various aspects to allegedly suck?  Also can someone elaborate on why the controls are "horrible"?  As I have said this isn't the first time I have heard this, and it sounds like one of the dumbest things the devs can do to screw up a perfectly good MMO.

The controls themselves feel a lot like your typical FPS. Being stuck in first person view is a huge challenge after playing mmos for years in third person. You definitely won't like it at first and will feel confined and clunky.

Over time the feel of the controls improves as you change the way you think about your environment. The first person view is actually one of the best things MO has going for it. I'm not here to debate the quality of the game so take my comments regarding movement for what you will.

• GarinoldGarinold Member Posts: 29

To be perfectly honest I couldn't careless about the game being limited to 1st person view.  When I played original EQ, I played in 1st person exclusively.  It was when I started playing DAoC & on that I got use to 3rd person and preferred it.  If that is the key complaint, than to be honest I don't care.

What are the other complaints?  & can someone also respond to my original inquiries regarding purchase of the game & system requirements?

• merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by Garinold

To be perfectly honest I couldn't careless about the game being limited to 1st person view.  When I played original EQ, I played in 1st person exclusively.  It was when I started playing DAoC & on that I got use to 3rd person and preferred it.  If that is the key complaint, than to be honest I don't care.

What are the other complaints?  & can someone also respond to my original inquiries regarding purchase of the game & system requirements?

Your system should run it. The game did not run well for me when I only had 2gb ram. I eventually upgraded to 8gb and didn't have any problems after that. I can't really say for sure what performance is like at 3gb ram. RAM seems to be one of the major factors in this game in terms of performance.

As far as purchase I think it's buy and download distribution. Not sure on that though.

As far as complaints go you just need to read these forums or the MO forums. Most people aren't in game right now to be able to confirm/deny what is going on right now as the release approaches.

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

Here is some of the problems I saw with MO.

-very unstable. crashes were frequent

-the game is very barren. Finding enemies in the wild is a chore and with out a map you will almost always get lost if you just set out looking for the three enemies that spawn with in 20 miles of you

-the company is shaddy, they have put out several patches to fix issues and they do not fix the issue, worst of all the close open beta and then tell us all that everything is now fixed when the general public can not see it and it is under a 10th of the load it was under before in open beta

-desync. see a charater, where did he go? Oh now I am dead by some invisible force.

-Almost every mob starts floating off into the distance.

-professionalism is lacking to where I would be afraid to put in time leveling to just have the game tank

good things though

+The first person view adds alot of depth to game play

+I thought the controls handled well, combat was well animated and slow enough to make it more tactical and fast enough to make it fun.

+Potential to be a great game, but as to not get banned again on these forums I will say it like this: some people, at some company, seem to think that making a game is a game, and it is not. 

I will not purchase MO, but I am deeply rooting for it to make it a year. In a year this could be a very good game!

Excited for MO 2011!

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

I would play it if they either add assault rifles and a crosshair, or a third-person view.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I'll be waiting a year at least before i play.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

As is the case with most games for the longest while now, I wait till they are released and see what people say.  Once I can get my hands on some gameplay videos from the released client I'll watch them and then decide if I want to take that extra step and see for myself what it's all about.  On top of that I read about the game and see if it's something that interests me.

I have not been keeping up with MO, I refuse to become involved in the hype machine that plagues this genre... and others.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• ThorpeyroxThorpeyrox Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by Killsmallchi

Here is some of the problems I saw with MO.

-very unstable. crashes were frequent (Still needs fixing but is better than before, they do however take the server down regularly to tweek and optimize which should be considered crashing)

-the game is very barren. Finding enemies in the wild is a chore and with out a map you will almost always get lost if you just set out looking for the three enemies that spawn with in 20 miles of you 

(This is a none issue, come release there will be plenty of people around due to the fact the world is relatively small compared to DF lets say)

-the company is shaddy, they have put out several patches to fix issues and they do not fix the issue, worst of all the close open beta and then tell us all that everything is now fixed when the general public can not see it and it is under a 10th of the load it was under before in open beta

I wouldn't go as far to say the company is shady.... they've had a few fixes that didn't work out so well yes. They didn't lie, having brought the game myself there have been huge improvements however it still has quiet a few bugs to get rid of.

-desync. see a charater, where did he go? Oh now I am dead by some invisible force.

That's gone now, 100% fixed.

-Almost every mob starts floating off into the distance.

That's fixed, although the AI still needs some tweeking.

-professionalism is lacking to where I would be afraid to put in time leveling to just have the game tank

good things though

+The first person view adds alot of depth to game play

+I thought the controls handled well, combat was well animated and slow enough to make it more tactical and fast enough to make it fun.

+Potential to be a great game, but as to not get banned again on these forums I will say it like this: some people, at some company, seem to think that making a game is a game, and it is not. 

I will not purchase MO, but I am deeply rooting for it to make it a year. In a year this could be a very good game!

Excited for MO 2011!

• LastChimeLastChime Member Posts: 107

Your system should run it, that graphics card *might* be a hiccup, but u can get something newer for pretty cheap if u shop around, start with low settings, if your not happy slap a new card in, other than that the rest checks out.

I'll be playing it on release and for at least a month or two after, wanna see where they go with it. It's not perfect no denying that, but I've had fun with it and that to me is the ultimate measure of value.

Biggest reasons, it's something different, always wanted a Daggerfall online and it kinda feels a bit like that to me anyways with graphics somewhere between Morrowind and Oblivion (sorry for all the TES but closest comparitor for me, not to take anything away from bethesda's masterpieces).

I like the way they went with FPV, combat controls need a little bit of work but not much, the pace is about right, just would like to see some more guards with the various weapons (which btw there are a hell of a lot of).

Interface is pretty minimal, but that's kinda nice when the scenery looks pretty sick, chat commands kinda harken back to UO, only a few options for chat though /whisper /yell /shout and normal, nothing long range, but with my experience in recent titles that's more of a blessing in disguise.

Crafting is indeed well done, lots of variety, the actual crafting windows need a bit of love, in a little more text around to tell you what does what, discovery is great, but some quantity numbers being associated to what your doing would make more sense right in the window rather than it just spamming u in chat with a list of materials you need to complete an item.

Flagging system is alright I guess, but currently just kinda feels like some voodoo karmic thing going on, hoping they incorporate someone actualy reporting you or npc line of sight, something along those lines. Thieving is bloody annoying, but hopefully they incorporate some aspects I mention in the last line there.

Could definantly use some sort of friends list or mail system or something, 'cause a lot of the times you'll hang out with someone have some fun then have to contact them out of game if u wanna meet up again, I don't personally care much for that choice.

More willing to give it a shot because they've made some good choices, and want to see what it grows into for a while, if I like the direction it heads I'll stay if not I wont, that simple.

All just one guy's opinions, really wait till release check out some youtubed vids and actual proper reviews of what's actualy going on then, rather than the hype this way spin that way right now on both sides.

EDIT: Needed moar spaces sorry

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

I will be playing at release as well.    I don't see the problem with controls to be honest, though the GUI in general is very basic and a bit clunky.  Combat is somewhat slower than darkfall, but much more tactical in that attacks are more deliberate and consequential.  First person view is also a great touch once you get used to it.   That being said, below are my main motivations for playing:

1) It has all the fundamental elements of a good sandbox:   FFA PvP with full loot,  Local banking,  open skill system (no levels), very limited NPC supply of goods (players craft most (all?) armor and weapons used in the game).  If none of these (or the idea of a 'sandbox' games in general) appeal to you than MO is not your game.

2) The richest crafting system I've ever seen.  There's thousands of possible combinations for  weapons (and armor), and most every stat for every item you make is dependent on your choice of materials for the weapons.

3) no grind  - you can reach the skill cap in a casual week (edit: closer to two probably), and can switch your build pretty easily.

4) THIEVES!  A controversial addition that solves the "Safe Zone VS. Gank Zone" dichotomy that plagues most sandbox MMO's (EVE, DF, etc), and makes cities a bit more interesting.  They recently took this out

5) The devs are pretty cool.  They communicate much more often than any other dev team I've seen (often to their detriment), and their shady dealings are tame compared to industry standard.

edit for formatting

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

I will be playing @ release.

Why? Because I already bought the game and have 30 days of play time. Those 30 days is the time the devs have to prove to me that they can live up to what they promise. And there better be a couple decent patches in that timeframe. I'll reserve my judgement to re subbing after that times up.

• marmotomarmoto Member CommonPosts: 101

To the OP:

Your system should run it fine.

Why I will be playing? well to be honest I like the game, the FPV takes some hours to get used if you come from a long time of traditional MMOs. I dont really think there are a lot of problems with the controls it is very similar to FPS. Also, the potential to expand for the game is very interesting, I hope they get the "unique bosses" thing that was announced to be implemented in the future quick, it will be great for PvE players.

Last time I played was with the desync issues and i think they have worked very well on that.

• KoisadKoisad Member Posts: 61

I will be playing, i looked and couldn't find anything else better to play. with all its bugs and issues, MO still takes the cake for me.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

I had no problems with the controls whatsoever. IF they will fix the severe bugs (a whole lot of them), this would be the game for me. Also, I was used to 1st person from The Elder Scrolls series, and I think it's the only way you can feel you're "there".

The local banking, even if at first glance might be weird, I found pretty nice. I had to move from my starter village to a big city, and when I had all my "riches" on me, traveling, trust me, I was REALLY careful to take the road less travelled, preferably at night.

In my honest opinion, the only good thing about the game is the design manual (the actual written list of ideeas). Anything past that went wrong. 

• BesttheiswowBesttheiswow Member Posts: 301

Im going to play it, because im a block A CE  proud owner have already a month included on the loot bag and must fraps alot of bugs and unworking features, ganking, theft , bad slow combat etc..and posted on youtube to show people the game...unbiased ofc..just stating what works, and what doesnt...but ill try really hard to check the positive aspects, one that i like is the art, graphics, environment overal its immersive.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by funkmastaD

I will be playing at release as well.    I don't see the problem with controls to be honest, though the GUI in general is very basic and a bit clunky.  Combat is somewhat slower than darkfall, but much more tactical in that attacks are more deliberate and consequential.  First person view is also a great touch once you get used to it.   That being said, below are my main motivations for playing:

1) It has all the fundamental elements of a good sandbox:   FFA PvP with full loot,  Local banking,  open skill system (no levels), very limited NPC supply of goods (players craft most (all?) armor and weapons used in the game).  If none of these (or the idea of a 'sandbox' games in general) appeal to you than MO is not your game.

Full loot means lot of people run naked since dying doesn't give penalty. It has no economy at all since thieving makes hubs useless. Local banking is making it worst. Game isn't sandbox like most game it's box with sand nothing else!

2) The richest crafting system I've ever seen.  There's thousands of possible combinations for  weapons (and armor), and most every stat for every item you make is dependent on your choice of materials for the weapons.

Which 90% is totally useless since they are crappy versions which you make when you LEVEL your crafting skill. Since crafting takes no real skill at all, you only need to know what to use (which can be found anyday in net). It's highly confusing first since this is so hardcore that nothing is explained (again forcing people to read on net instead of making game player friendly).

3) no grind  - you can reach the skill cap in a casual week (edit: closer to two probably), and can switch your build pretty easily.

Bullshit, it's all grind to get skill up. And it's dead boring since there isn't enough mobs and they seem to float and bug all time. It's really boring.

4) THIEVES!  A controversial addition that solves the "Safe Zone VS. Gank Zone" dichotomy that plagues most sandbox MMO's (EVE, DF, etc), and makes cities a bit more interesting.  They recently took this out

Doesn't work. Now all are exploiting this feature all time. Whole point of NPC cities are to work as trade hubs, now most people avoid them since they are plagued with thieves. Highly unbalanced.

5) The devs are pretty cool.  They communicate much more often than any other dev team I've seen (often to their detriment), and their shady dealings are tame compared to industry standard.

Rubbish, they kept saying they fixed desync issue for 5 months! They closed open beta without ever testing miracle patch which they again claimed to fix desync issue, just like they did for last 5 months! Communication has been bad, fact that they hang in IRC doesn't help when they kept pushing information to last minute, example release dates.

Overall whole game is bare skeleton without meat. But hey it's hardcore; crafting is hit and miss style (unless you read everything on net), no info is available in game all are available in net (I guess knowing how to use google and browser is REALLY hardcore), there is no inside game communication(unless you use irc or other chat), fighting seem to favor running around and swinging mindlesly due lag, you have large areas to run around mindlessly without ever founding any mobs or people. Everything is basic, everything is bland after few weeks, it's boring, full of gankers and HC nazis.

Originally posted by Sasami

Full loot means lot of people run naked since dying doesn't give penalty. It has no economy at all since thieving makes hubs useless. Local banking is making it worst. Game isn't sandbox like most game it's box with sand nothing else!

Which 90% is totally useless since they are crappy versions which you make when you LEVEL your crafting skill. Since crafting takes no real skill at all, you only need to know what to use (which can be found anyday in net). It's highly confusing first since this is so hardcore that nothing is explained (again forcing people to read on net instead of making game player friendly).

Bullshit, it's all grind to get skill up. And it's dead boring since there isn't enough mobs and they seem to float and bug all time. It's really boring.

Doesn't work. Now all are exploiting this feature all time. Whole point of NPC cities are to work as trade hubs, now most people avoid them since they are plagued with thieves. Highly unbalanced.

Rubbish, they kept saying they fixed desync issue for 5 months! They closed open beta without ever testing miracle patch which they again claimed to fix desync issue, just like they did for last 5 months! Communication has been bad, fact that they hang in IRC doesn't help when they kept pushing information to last minute, example release dates.

Overall whole game is bare skeleton without meat. But hey it's hardcore; crafting is hit and miss style (unless you read everything on net), no info is available in game all are available in net (I guess knowing how to use google and browser is REALLY hardcore), there is no inside game communication(unless you use irc or other chat), fighting seem to favor running around and swinging mindlesly due lag, you have large areas to run around mindlessly without ever founding any mobs or people. Everything is basic, everything is bland after few weeks, it's boring, full of gankers and HC nazis.

This poster has a point...and its true fact..

• RaythorRaythor Member Posts: 134

Wow, this post pretty much nails MO in its current state!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

The game has more than plenty of issues but at the same time I find it a lot of fun and very immersive.  I will be playing it.  .Right now it likely has enough content to keep me interested for a few months (2 or 3 maybe).   Based on the pace of development with the small team I am not sure what will be coming out after release and at what rate but I tend to game hop.

I hope they fix the playabililty issues by release. . clean up the interface etc.  If they can do that it might keep people around long enough for them to add a few more things on their list.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I will 3rd this or 4th it lol.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Answer to OP: The game is forced first person view which, imo, is awful for melee. Combat, from what I have seen, is mostly hack and slash and somewhat FPS like.

Content and things to do? Dunno, haven't seen much beside gathering junk and crafting (and ofcourse PvP ganking). Not many mobs around, beside animals, and I think there is a dungeon but it is mostly empty.

The game would be worth trying if it cost 5€ and was Free to Play. But 40€ and 14€/month? No way in hell...

Originally posted by parrotpholk

MO could not hold the sweat off of DAoC jock strap.  It may one day be a very good game but this is not the game to early adopt.

Nowadays a game releases in this state and not going to grow ever..theres just too many games comming out..so people just look ahead and go play another game

Aion is going down for exemple...too mutch time to do the changes and introduce new better content..people will skip it and turn to the new giants comming..ff14, gw2, swtor etc..

MO not even worth mention, it is that bad..and will continue to be..2 months from now people that start will leave and wait for something else..

ATM im in darkfall, its the one i can play...but im waiting for a good game to come..ill leave DF asap.