Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How big is AH for you?

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

In a previous post the subject was descuss about boting. Then "namelessbob" - Advanced Member touched the subject of AH to summarize he wrote:

"Bots outside of BGs in the open world are not so bad. People who say people selling large quantities of stuff on the AH are bots are not aware that one of the largest gold makers in WoW is playing the AH like the stock market in real life. Buy low sell high. I have had up over 500 epic gems on the AH at one time, but in no way does that mean I bot rofl. Also due to that reason alone is why they are coming up with the AH iphone app. They know the AH is a huge draw and a game in itself to some people."

Now as for me I also see the AH as a good way to make G playing WoW but I like to undercut the competition for example I will have lets say have 3 stacks of 20 in wool. My strategic would be to put them in a min bid at 0.40 with a buy out of 0.50 @ 5 a stack that gets me 2.2 after AH subtracts its fee. now I of course  will sell all my stacks and make a easy 26.4 in G so I feel undercuting is better because with the AH mod it tells me that those who choose to sell high will not get the sale that day but I will. Remember this is a simple example now take it to better heights but keep it in the Green and you will make money most of the time.

That is my theory for AH and it works just fine to undercut sale in the green to make money.

Comments

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

I have never been big in the AH, mainly because I am an alt-aholic and have almost a level 80 with every profession maxed.  My main runs a lot of instances and gets all the other stuff I need.

The introduction of heirloom items drastically cut my need for the AH to buy things.  A blue-quality weapon, shoulders and chest is enough to level easily even with crappy greens in the other slots.  In the past, with alts like my warrior and rogue, I spent a lot of time shopping for weapon upgrades.  I don't do that anymore because of heirlooms.

I am not a bleeding edge raider, so my guild isn't really into forcing people to have the latest epic gems in every slot, same with pots.. no big deal if we don't use the absolute best.

The other reason I don't play the AH like a stockmarket is because it involves a lot of annoyance, like emptying your mailbox and storing large amounts of stuff.  But the biggest reason is that nothing I really want in the game costs gold, Everything is emblams badges and points, which is the biggest reason why I think there aren't as many botters (gold-farmers) as people think.  There just isn't that huge off a market for it anymore.

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

The AH is a serious income for me. It used to be a lot higher but I don't log in all that much anymore.

I am one of the major glyph crafters on my server and making an absolute killing from it. It is very competitive though and if I don't relist multiple times in a day I don't make as many sales as I would otherwise. I also cut+sell gems on the side and buy/resell just about any commodity you could think of from another character.

As for the web/iphone auction house app - I have no use for it whatsoever. It is not possible to efficiently create/relist tens or hundreds of auctions with it in a reasonable amount of time.

Simply not feasible to play the AH without addons.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224

I pay £8.99 per month for the whole game. Why would I pay 20% extra just to buy from the AH on myiPhone? I think plenty will but not me. Fools and their money and all that.

My biggest regret over all this is the signal it sends to Blizzard - that they think micro transactions will be an acceptable way to go with their new MMO. I don't play free/micro transaction MMO's as I like to have a limit on how much I spend on them each month without being tempted to blow the arse off it. If Blizz goes down the m/transaction route for their next game I'll be gutted. and it's looking like they like that business model more and more lately.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

The Trojan horse (steed) paved the way for micro-transactions.

It sent a message to Blizzard/Activision alright... and it red: $$$

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Garfunkel

I pay £8.99 per month for the whole game. Why would I pay 20% extra just to buy from the AH on myiPhone? I think plenty will but not me. Fools and their money and all that.

My biggest regret over all this is the signal it sends to Blizzard - that they think micro transactions will be an acceptable way to go with their new MMO. I don't play free/micro transaction MMO's as I like to have a limit on how much I spend on them each month without being tempted to blow the arse off it. If Blizz goes down the m/transaction route for their next game I'll be gutted. and it's looking like they like that business model more and more lately.

It is already accepted. Just look at the pet & mount .. those are big successful. And i don't see the problem.

This is a new service .. a web/iphone service tying to a MMO. Blizz does not have to do it. They did it becuase there is a market and they profit from it. Seems fair to me.

And I would gladly pay $3 a month because now i can do my auctions at work. Plus, i bet the API will be learned and there will be tools for playing the market soon.

• GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Garfunkel

It is already accepted. Just look at the pet & mount .. those are big successful. And i don't see the problem.

This is a new service .. a web/iphone service tying to a MMO. Blizz does not have to do it. They did it becuase there is a market and they profit from it. Seems fair to me.

And I would gladly pay $3 a month because now i can do my auctions at work. Plus, i bet the API will be learned and there will be tools for playing the market soon.

My problem was the price. It's very little extra functionality for a big % uplift in the sub. 

To be honest after trying the beta I have to say I am a convert. I'll probably stump up the extra £ when it goes live. It's just too useful. I still think it should be cheaper though.