Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I give you this ruined Castle. What would you do with it?

2»

Comments

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

However, how do you ad this feature for everyone to enjoy? What happens once the Castle is rebuilt? Now there is no broken down castle for me to rebuild, and I've missed out on the fun. 

If you can rebuild it, there must be a way to break it, or else it's just a one time deal for those that play the game first. 

Correct.  There must be a way to break it, furthermore, the rebuilding should serve a trigger for this.  Also, the other obvious  solution is just to have multiple castles (or multiple places to rebuild / build).  

A feature like this existed in Anarchy Online - in a more primitive form.  It was supposed to be added to AoC in the way you describe above, but never made it in.  

In AO, a guild would build a city and once it was built, it would draw the attention of invaders that would attack it.  The strength of the attack was dynamic and based on the number of people online in the guild at the time.  It was totally awesome.  (Although there was no danger of the city being destroyed, there were rewards to defending)

But to take it a step further, we can have the attacks continue until the city is destroyed.  But it should happen slow, so that there is some benefit to rebuilding it (other than just have it destroyed every day).   To this end building should include improving the defences.  It should also be the only way of having player housing in the game.  If the players own it, they'll be motivated to re-built it / defend it. 

Of course there is the "instance" solution, but it seems rather odd to me that we're all repairing the same castle, each in our own instance. 

Why then would we play together? I'd be repairing the castle in my instance, nad you in yours depending on when you found the castle, and so on. 

Instance or non-instance doesn't matter in this case.  The personal housing inside castles gives multiple players motivation to rebuild same castle - because they get their own place inside.  If it's instanced, then the instancing would be castle-based, not player-based (i.e. "Castle 8" vs. "Player1's Castle") and shared by multiple people.  

Although the suggestion to rebuild wasn't mine, these are the solutions I'd use.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

http://www.arteria3d.com/p/1050904/ruined-castle-ruins-pack.html

It's just a random ruined castle. The picture is an example that could actually go in a game. The artwork isn't important, lets' say you could substitute another art style you like. 

Ok, you are the developer. The art department has laid down this ruined castle on the landscape. You have a team of l33t programmers that can add just about any game mechanics, or write any quest, lay down and design any MObs, you can think of. 

What are you going to do?

Kill 10 skeletons quest?

Bring me back 10 bat wings?

Ogres live here, kill them for XP and loot? 

Solo through the ruins? Some content requires a group?

Can you bring the castle back to it's former glory?

Is it a raid dungeon?

The landing site of aliens that will give you an anal probe if you attack them and lose?

What would you like to run across if you were a player and you walk over a hill see this ruined castle, and decide to give it a closer look?

It will NOT be quest/mission based but just a real time event.

Inside the ruins there will be several doorway's, leading to different lvl's of what once was a hugh castle, behind each door you enter rooms filled with danger and different type of puzzles, some are combined with monsters and puzzles, some just have puzzles and some just have monsters or creature's. The monsters/creatures/skeletons when killed could drop either useless loot (vendor food) or usefull loot, some loot you gonna need to complete certain puzzle's, some loot you need to make certain potions to be able to defeat certain monsters or creature's in certain rooms, some loot is used for rebuilding purposes, some loot will benifith the fighter class.

Some of the rooms can be cleared solo, most of the rooms needs to be cleared or solved with team work, in the end it's a full team of people either just grouped or guilded that will be able to take over the ruins, at the centre of the ruins which will take you several lvl's underground you will meet the end boss, once defeated that boss which again requires a hugh group to defeat you will be able to start rebuilding the ruins again with the help of others, both crafters and fighters will be needed for many of the rooms to clear aswell being able to rebuild the ruins into a castle again. But the whole procces will need allot of players to actaully accomplish.

Once the ruins are captured and rebuilding starts the one we defeated as end boss was just part of a monster race, so rebuilding the ruins activates and new chapter and now while rebuilding you also need to defend the ruins. As the monster race will send it's troops, those monster and creature's you have defeated in the rooms inside the building will now attack to ruins.

Defences can be build by high lvl crafters, while low lvl crafters can be usefull to build stones which are needed to rebuild, mid lvl crafters are able to lets say make fences, full walls, but they need stones, so it would take any lvl of crafter to help out rebuilding the castle to it's former glory, same with low lvl fighter classes can defend the castle with their weapons, higher lvl fighters can make use of certain defences high lvl crafters have made.

The monster race can only attack with full moon, this to ensure to make the whole happening real-time, as said in another topic most people can NOT play 24/7 there for there will be certain times for the attacks, players how ever when confronted with the ruins can conquer it any time, but as said it's undoable solo and it needs lots and lots of team work from many players together.

There will be allot of these type of ruins around the world, but as said you gonna need all sorts of players with different skills/abilities and lvl's to complete it in real time and everything is real-time and can be seen by every player who passes by.

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

I would add 4 levels of ruins beneath. Then i would add skeletons on the surface level that would only come out at night. The entrance to the ruins would unlock by some kind of riddle that would be inscribed on the stones outside. (each group would have to solve it in order to enter). At the first level it would have more skeletons and zombies. At second level i would put zombies and a human necromancer boss. That boss would be part of some quest. At third level i would put ghouls and fiends which would have a small chance to drop rare gear. At fourth level i would put skeleton champions, vampires and a lich boss which you might have heard from some crazy old man. All these would have a chance for good drops too. Of course it wouldn't be instanced.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

Make it chat lobby where people can troll each other while waiting to get in dungeon.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Originally posted by Jazqa

Make it chat lobby where people can troll each other while waiting to get in dungeon.

• wisesquirrelwisesquirrel Member UncommonPosts: 282

I'd let the player find a book by himself (No NPC quest givers, he has to explore) and find a ritual which requires himt o collect 10 hearts of other players in order to perform a ritual of summoning and awesome monster to be his minion as a reward.

And if he doesn't, the quest have him givena  debuff for a very long time for not following the ritual in time 0_O.

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

I’m familiar with Artaria, can’t say I care much for their work… but maybe I just like making my own stuff. But anyway, I’d bulldoze it down and build a star port so the players could get to other planets in adjacent star systems... :)

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.