Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expansion of new content or package of nerf bats?

RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

Hi,

My sub ran out patch day so I thought: What a great time to wait and see how things unfold.  Now, imagine you're a paying customer (or at least until this month) and you're reading about all the 'enhancements' this expansion has brought.

Is this expansion worthy of the title 'content expansion' or is it the nerfs in disguise coupled with lots of new bugs that I'm perceiving it to be?

Comments

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

If planetary interaction isn't new content then I don't know what is. So I'd say yes - it is worthy of 'content expansion'.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Dreathor
    If planetary interaction isn't new content then I don't know what is. So I'd say yes - it is worthy of 'content expansion'.

It isn't.
    It's a carbon copy of pos reaction mechanics with a different UI and different output.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

The only thing that's changed as far as I am concerned is that you can no longer assign fighters off-grid. And it seems that this is "bug not feature" anyway.

So really it hasn't made a spit of difference.

The mission runner tears about not being able to produce more minerals than hi-sec miners any more are quite tasty though.

Oh wait: insurance change. That's actually a pretty major change, although it seems to be too subtle for most to notice. CCP probably did more long term good with this than they did in the whole Dominion expansion.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Honestly Tyranis hasen't had much of an affect on me at all.

PI isnt fully released, I ignore Eve Gate, The insurance changes don't have much of an affect on me at all, I only do missions casually with an alt so I couldn't careless about the material changes.

Oh! And I would rather be sexually mutilated by an amarrian slave master than fly Cadari BS, So the scorp graphic doesnt matter either.

Until june 8th the whole thing is a big mehh...

Oh wait!! I do like that new UI color, Black perl is awesome lol.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

If you like missions you just got royally screwed and not just by the mineral changes.  L5's are now only in low sec and mostly in the border space with high sec making doing them incredibly hard without a fleet to deal with gankers and the Mobs.

• EleazarosEleazaros Member UncommonPosts: 206

Originally posted by batolemaeus

It isn't.

It's a carbon copy of pos reaction mechanics with a different UI and different output.

It's obvious that you don't understand this new content or you wouldn't say that.

Then again, you're not an industrialist type so I seriously doubt you examined how this stuff works directly.  I have and yes, it's new content and extended differently than POS operations. 

There's a lot more complexity to it yet also a bit easier to get into in many respects.  I'm sure you'll learn more as it goes live.

About the only thing I'd like to see them 'change' when it goes live: Allow folks to blow up competition and the like vs the planned "later on you can..." stuff.  Let that in from the get-go vs the current "safe and easy" release plan.  There's very little to no risks involved in PI and that should be there from the start. -- just my opinion on that...

Originally posted by Eleazaros
    It's obvious that you don't understand this new content or you wouldn't say that.

It's obvious that you have no idea what I've done in Eve.
    I've had enough reaction towers to recognize a reaction chain when i see it. Processing A+B to C isn't new either. Putting up multiple reaction chains from multiple source moons/planets..where's the difference, other than in ui?

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

I've had enough reaction towers to recognize a reaction chain when i see it. Processing A+B to C isn't new either. Putting up multiple reaction chains from multiple source moons/planets..where's the difference, other than in ui?

well, the difference is in availability. moon reactions are "exclusive toys" for a few big guys (often only directors of big corps and alliances get to play with "the moons that count" directly, while the moon goo and the necessary equipment is way too costly for most players, as you need several hundred millions just to start a small reactions pos).

with Tyrannis you get a whole new set of tools that are available to a lot more people, so those that are interested in industry but not yet billionaires will have new toys to play with.

Originally posted by ryuga81

with Tyrannis you get a whole new set of tools that are available to a lot more people, so those that are interested in industry but not yet billionaires will have new toys to play with.

This is true. however, it doesn't change the fact that PI is just a rehash of old mechanics.
    The initial ideas were far more genuinely new concepts. Pollution and inter-player relationships were very prominent. The PI that is being rolled out looks like something hacked together at the last minute, like the sov system which was like the old one with minor variations.

• XarmoXarmo Member Posts: 5

It's the shallow end of the pool for what is coming down the road...

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

It isn't.

Your point, although correct, is irrelevent.

Just because its similar to an existing function does not mean its not "new"  it just means that its not different.

Remember, Eve is a "SAND box"  with this expanion CCP have added more sand!...  it may not look much different for the existing sand... but its STILL new sand!  therfore is correctly labeled "expansion"  since the box has expanded in order to accept the new sand.

:P

• EleazarosEleazaros Member UncommonPosts: 206

It's still obvious you don't understand it. 

It is different in several ways but you won't see it until it's live.  I seriously doubt you spent much time on SiSi testing it.  I did and I'm not interested in it on live but that's my choice from knowing how it worked prior to going live -- just like I'm not intersted in mining nor all that interested in most of the manufacturing stuff in the game, though I do enough to supply myself a bit.

IMO, PI is about as exciting as running a industrial focused POS with mining mixed in -- get the stuff, refine, make things, haul it off to sell.  Not a major interest area for me -- more like "afk mining" and checking on production queues than "gaming" in a fashion I enjoy but just UI changes?  Not quite.  I'm sure you'll see for yourself soon enough.

Oh and yes, I have a good idea some of the things you've gotten into.  I've been around these forums and playing EVE for over 8 months and you've touched on a variety of subjects that span major porions of the game.  This is new and you've seen a few commentaries on it but I'll lay bets you didn't spent much time hands-on with it while it was on SiSi.

I'll lay bets you didn't spent much time hands-on with it while it was on SiSi.

What exactly are you betting? I wouldn't mind to make a few mil isk that way..