Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVE question

Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

First how is the content with PVE?

Second how is the challenge with PVE? I'm looking for a challenge not a sleep walk to max level like in Wow. I'm tired of games that have zero challenge in PVE in the outdoor environment and you have to look to dungeons / raids to get a challenge.

Thanks for any replies.

On a side note anyone know if the crafting is any good?

Comments

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

I love AoC, mainly from a PvE standpoint.

With that said leveling is extremely easy (easier than WoW) and crafting is...odd...it's hard to explain it's just...odd.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

First how is the content with PVE?

Second how is the challenge with PVE? I'm looking for a challenge not a sleep walk to max level like in Wow. I'm tired of games that have zero challenge in PVE in the outdoor environment and you have to look to dungeons / raids to get a challenge.

Thanks for any replies.

Contents very solid.  I'm skipping tons of quests because I'm simply outleveling them in the process.   Quest dialogues and storylines are very good, the zones are very immersive, and the leveling experience is as fun as I've ever had in an MMO (better than even WoW imo, due to the immersion factor and the more mature nature of the quests).

As far as difficulty; for leveling, harder than most games, but still pretty easy.  You can make it more challenging by using a class or spec that isn't as proficient in solo PvE  (ie an Assassin or a Reaver Barb)... or by being a little looser with your pulls.  However, if your being patient and making smart pulls, its pretty cake.

The mobs in the new expansion zones are very tough.  But thats content at level 80.

• nathanvandynnathanvandyn Member Posts: 98

You will die a LOT if you arent careful or run from combat, and fail a few quests in Rise of the Godslayer., in the new 20-40 zone. The game pve wise, is VERY FUN. 

The combat is fun enough to the point I can sit there and fight mobs all day and not get bored. Can't say that of any other mmo I have played honestly. And i have literally played just about every mmo out there. 

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

I wouldnt say all the PvE content is easy. Tortage? Yeah, thats a cakewalk, which is why right now Im just making alts seeing all the different classes=p After Tortage so after lvl20 it depends really on the class and then whether you find yourself a group. I have noticed that generally if there is a group quest you need to do you have better find a full 6 person group or youll get slaughtered. Id say the game is harded than WoW, but then again most things are=) Cant say much about crafting yet. Ive only done some gathering quests so far. Its odd that there are dedicated zones for gathering but I guess since the AoC world isnt to open there would be problems otherwise. Oh and ofcourse if youre looking to have fun doing quests dont play on a PvP server, its a pointless gankfest.

if you love the thrill of open combat that can strike any time, pvp servers are great. if you want pvp but dont want to be bothered while questing and such, pve servers still have PLENTY of pvp, especially with the shrines addition at 80 along with mini games.

Nothing thrilling about being ganked at lvl14 by three lvl19s=)

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

From the replies it looks like the PVE is fun but easy. That has been my experience so far in Tortage.  With the lack of crafting replies it seems that crafting is just a after thought which is on par with all MMO's these days. :(

I dont know about the other people who have replied, but I am not really a crafter. When I play an mmo I usually go the easy money route and take gathering professions since finding out which of the things i can make people will actually buy is too much of a hassle=p Its frustrating when I have scores of recipies but only 2 or 3 thing i make will sell.

alchemy is probably the best trade. makes potions and food. questing is pretty "easy" but there are group quests you will need to have a group for to complete. soling in godslayer 20-40 will get you killed. A LOT, if you aren't careful. Even if you are, you will have to run sometimes. if you want a challenge pull more mobs than you should. thats how any mmo is even old school ones heh.

If you are looking for EQ style "hard" regular pve , you probably wont find it in AoC outside of dungeons usually, but there are some 80 zones in godslayer where you will be forced to group basically, even on the regular mobs.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

It depends on your definition of easy. Can you solo all the way to 80? You bet although you'll miss quite a few group level quests. To be honest I can't think of one mmo that isn't easy to level to cap.

I will say that the new level 80 zones are a bit more challenging though. If you approach them the same way you did in Kheshatta or the Commons you can get your ass handed to you. It also will depend on your class as well (ie my assassin can solo non-elite boss mobs in pre-xpac zones no problem, in the Northern Grasslands I have to have help - damn undead elephant keeps killing me).

Edit: Forgot to add about crafting. It's nothing special, about on par with WoW if you have played that game. Can't start them until level 40 though. I find Alchemy and Prospecting the most useful professions to be honest although all of them have some use (high end stuff you need to be in a guild though).

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

From the replies it looks like the PVE is fun but easy. That has been my experience so far in Tortage.  With the lack of crafting replies it seems that crafting is just a after thought which is on par with all MMO's these days. :(

I wouldn't say PVE is "easy", in fact it can be quite challenging.

You'll notice this more once you get out of Tortage, and especially in the higher levels.

The game does a pretty good job of easing the difficulty up gradually over time.

Tactics are very important later on, as is really knowing your class well.

Suggestion: If you want the full "AoC effect", roll a melee class. Fun, challenging, different, and engaging.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I forgot to add about leveling or soloing in general. In this game it is very easy to get overwhelmed by mobs so you do have to be careful on how you pull, except if you play a Necro I suppose.