Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Frank Pearce on 2010 Cataclysm Launch: "If it's ready."

Comments

• BisWinterBisWinter Member UncommonPosts: 14

It would make sense for them to release around Christmas '10 or wait until right before or right after Star Wars comes out. It is a business after all.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Wasn't TBC delayed by 2-3 months?  I thought it was origninally suppose to ship in Nov 07 and got delayed to Jan/Feb. can't rembmer which of 08.  Wouldn't this conflict with the whole "pushing out" before it was ready?  As a previous poster stated, it gets fuzzy, but I know it was delayed at least once.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by SaintViktor

They going to try to make players choose between GW2, TOR or Cataclysm. Sorry guys but once GW2 hits or TOR we will not be playing WoW much anymore. So if you want your subs back then release in 2010 because not many will choose an expansion over 2 potentially great  mmos.

I'd not expect GW2 any time this year... Perhaps next spring.  If you guys are lucky.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • OvumOvum Member UncommonPosts: 103

The King is dead.. nothing else to do for an entire year. They have to release it 2010.

Music is the science of manipulating people trough sound.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Or they can wait for those games to be release, see which elements that players like, implement it into their own game fast, hope players get dissapointed with those new games, release cata, and those players to come back...

RIP Orc Choppa

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Galon

WoW expansions are fun and interesting for a little while till we figure out it is the same car with a fresh coat of paint.  I think there are a large number of people playing it just because there is nothing better to go to, I am one, so Blizzard better hope that SWToR is not half as good as it looks like it could be or they will have a serious contender on there hands.

I think there are going to be plenty of new MMO's that will hurt WoW. The launch of the 3 most anticipated titles will be interesting to watch in regards to WoW numbers:

1. SW:ToR - I am becoming more and more discouraged about this solo play MMO.

2. GW2 - I had zero interest in this...but it is starting to sound pretty amazing.

3. FFXIV - I would still be playing FFXI if their credit card security bugs would allow me to.

Throw Tera in the mix and you have some serious competition for Blizzard...finally!

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by arctarus

Or they can wait for those games to be release, see which elements that players like, implement it into their own game fast, hope players get dissapointed with those new games, release cata, and those players to come back...

Lol they can't do that, as said before swtor may not even be released in 2011 and they won't have anywhere enough time to implement enough features from those games without coming off as half assed. They can't delay the game by another year as the game would well and trully go into decline and they can't even be certain they will be able to take swtor players anyway. It's just a plain terrible idea.

Originally posted by bigsmiff

WoW expansions are fun and interesting for a little while till we figure out it is the same car with a fresh coat of paint.  I think there are a large number of people playing it just because there is nothing better to go to, I am one, so Blizzard better hope that SWToR is not half as good as it looks like it could be or they will have a serious contender on there hands.

I think there are going to be plenty of new MMO's that will hurt WoW. The launch of the 3 most anticipated titles will be interesting to watch in regards to WoW numbers:

2. GW2 - I had zero interest in this...but it is starting to sound pretty amazing.

3. FFXIV - I would still be playing FFXI if their credit card security bugs would allow me to.

Throw Tera in the mix and you have some serious competition for Blizzard...finally!

TOR doesn't draw from the same player demographics as WoW does.  GW2 will be lucky to make it out by spring next year from what I hear. FFXIV does look like fun, but if it follows FFXI, its not going to appeal that much to the WoW crowd.  As much as some might wish other wise, the only real threat to World of Warcraft at this point is Blizzard itself. 

So far, every game that has been deemed to be competition(or a WoW killer) has fallen FAR short of the task.  I've no doubt that its theoretically possible... But likely? No. Not for quite some time to come.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Wraithone

TOR doesn't draw from the same player demographics as WoW does.  GW2 will be lucky to make it out by spring next year from what I hear. FFXIV does look like fun, but if it follows FFXI, its not going to appeal that much to the WoW crowd.  As much as some might wish other wise, the only real threat to World of Warcraft at this point is Blizzard itself. 

So far, every game that has been deemed to be competition(or a WoW killer) has fallen FAR short of the task.  I've no doubt that its theoretically possible... But likely? No. Not for quite some time to come.

Unfounded opinions FTW!!!

Anyway...Go to the WoW off topic forums, in game chat, and many other places and see if the SW:ToR isn't the buzz for WoW players. And, a lot of FFXI folks that I have played with are part time WoW players also. The GW2 comment I can't argue against.

A lot of folks are just looking for that MMO immersion feel that crosses genre lines. I have zero interest in games like APB, but if it gives an immersive feel, I will try it. A lot of people are like that...

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

So you have at least 4 games coming out between now and march. Swtor, Gw2,Tera and Rift. If none of these games tears away people from WoW no  mmo will anytime soon.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

Originally posted by Wraithone

Unfounded opinions FTW!!!

Anyway...Go to the WoW off topic forums, in game chat, and many other places and see if the SW:ToR isn't the buzz for WoW players. And, a lot of FFXI folks that I have played with are part time WoW players also. The GW2 comment I can't argue against.

A lot of folks are just looking for that MMO immersion feel that crosses genre lines. I have zero interest in games like APB, but if it gives an immersive feel, I will try it. A lot of people are like that...

Hey now! If I based my *opinions* on hard data/facts I'd be drummed out of the chat room corps! image

But really, look at those attracted to TOR with its space science fiction theme. There is *some* over lap with fantasy, but from experience, not as much as some might think.  Many may try it(many tried AoC and Warhammer...) but I suspect that most will go back to WoW.

Have you actually played FFXI? If so, you know that its fan base is rather different than WoW's is.  Thats why I said that if FFXIV is like FFXI it would appeal to a different demographic.

I've looked at APB, and its just not the type of game I have any interest in these days. To each their own.

• OvumOvum Member UncommonPosts: 103

But why so many ppl are looking for a WoW killer? I don't want it to die. Just lore wise makes me wish not to.

Music is the science of manipulating people trough sound.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I agree with Bismiff.  For example I don't think a lot of wow players were necessarily warcraft players when they signed up.  Pleny yes, but pleny not. 

I am not sure what leads anyone to believe that someone can only enjoy 1 IP and not another.  If guild wars or final fantasy are done well enough I'm certain they will pull tons of wow players as well as players from many other games.  The way the current mmo market is I don't think beggars can be choosers and if a good game is presented to players they will come.

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180

u r forgeting 1 thing. blizzard has unlimited source of funds. so theirs marketing strategy is probably a very smart, eloborate plan. and haha to STWOR "threat". it sure will take a chunk of wow subs, but for cata to fail it will take far more than that. after all there are 10 milions gamers. even if half of them buys it which would be considered as "not so succesfull" it will still generate ridiculous amount of money and cover the expense of cata.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

"Sure, everyone knows the old adage of "when it's ready" that Blizzard strictly follows..."

Starcraft 2.  Not ready.  Still releasing July 27th.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

Starcraft 2 is beyond ready.  It's been in beta for months and runs with barely an issue.  They're mostly working on balance and small glitches as well as on Battle.net bandwidth issues.  They could release it today if they wanted.  But, they have 2 months.

Meanwhile, CAT is in F&F alpha and the word is it is FAR from ready with LOTS of problems remaining and a ton of unfinished content.  It MIGHT make it by December.  But, I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm just praying Diablo III makes it out by Dec 2011.

• chreechree Member Posts: 5

• chreechree Member Posts: 5

I would rather have Blizzard release Cataclysm when it is completely ready than release it with myriads of bugs to fix later. 

Take your time, Blizz.  I have lots to do while I wait. 

• yayitsandyyayitsandy Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Ovum

But why so many ppl are looking for a WoW killer? I don't want it to die. Just lore wise makes me wish not to.

Inspite a lot of negativity thrown at WoW not many of us really want it to die . We would however like something else to come along that offers serious competition to it . I'm not one of these people that think theres only X-amount of potential mmo players in the world I think there could be a lot lot more potential players once other games come out with the same mass appeal as WoW .  I can't see WoW maintaining 10+ million subs forever but decline may not be a bad thing as it might make Blizzard concentrate on a different audiance . Also competition is always good in the market place . As for Cataclysm I doubted it would get a 2010 release and thought there was very little chance it would get a Spring/Summer release as hard-care advocates of the game like Zorn predicted . I think its still possible for a November 2010 release but if it takes a month or two longer it wont be a bad thing . Remember TBC was delayed but Lich King was released on time . I know which I think was the better expansion .

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Originally posted by Liltawen

If it's delayed it will be going up against Star Wars. That will be fun to watch.

I can see Blizzard doing that intentionally. Cataclysm will take so much of the market the first 2 months of its release, it could really mess up the launch for SWTOR.

• MyrathiMyrathi Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by TookyG

"Sure, everyone knows the old adage of "when it's ready" that Blizzard strictly follows..."

Starcraft 2.  Not ready.  Still releasing July 27th.

Can't disagree with this one, more's the pity; that and TBC was anything but 'ready.' (WotLK less so.) All of these added to the horrible Worgen models make for a very sad and doubtful pair of woogly eyeballs, when it comes to Cata evoking anything other than a passing "meh." :(

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

Way to make a story out of nothing. Anyone who's actually followed WOW over the years knows Blizz says this all the time, about EVERYTHING. Nothing has changed, but feel free to read into this and freak out.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Originally posted by ghettobooste

If it's delayed it will be going up against Star Wars. That will be fun to watch.

I can see Blizzard doing that intentionally. Cataclysm will take so much of the market the first 2 months of its release, it could really mess up the launch for SWTOR.

My inner conspiracy theorist is suggesting that Blizzard might do this intentionally in an attempt to lure competitors' into force-releasing an unfinished product. With people like Bobby Kotick involved in the mix, this seems a more likely strategy than ever. Far better to piss off the addicted than let any viable comptetition release without being eclipsed by Blizzard's release.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• wolf11223wolf11223 Member CommonPosts: 54

haha yeah would kinfa suck on WoWs part though. I imagine SWTOR will be quite a threat to their growing numbers.

• KyotaKyota Member Posts: 11

It will be delayed..

Saddly in a world of economic competition in the MMO market .. Blizzard can't ignore Bioware's TOR..

Which is particularly annoying to me as I'm reallllllly waiting for Cata.. I still play but something a little new would be good.. if I have to toss up between Cata and TOR... saddly for Blizzard Bioware win.. atleast for the first month or more. :)