Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mysterious radio waves emitted from nearby galaxy?

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I heard about this awhile back and was wondering if anyone has more info on this phenomenon? I searched the forums, but couldn't find anyone discussing this.

"There is something strange in the cosmic neighbourhood. An unknown object in the nearby galaxy M82 has started sending out radio waves, and the emission does not look like anything seen anywhere in the universe before."

"it does seem to be moving – and fast: its apparent sideways velocity is four times the speed of light. Such apparent "superluminal" motion has been seen before in high-speed jets of material squirted out by some black holes."

LINK

Comments

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

The " apparant"  sideways velocity doesn;t mean that it is actually moving 4 times the speed of light, it just means it appears that way. 

See:  Superluminalmotion

In the link you provided it said it was most likely just a black hole with irregular motion.

• ScalperOneScalperOne Member Posts: 281

Radiowaves as far I know do not travel the light speed. So something moving that fast would prbably be far off and for us to recieve it's radiowaves means that thing whatever it may have been has been goon for a long time. Correct me if I am wrong.