Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long does it take to get into EVE?

fooflingerfooflinger Member Posts: 121

I'm really starting to develop an interest to this game as I love the sandbox concept, and the idea of massive corporation battles really appeals to me. However, I remember reading awhile back that it's very complex to get into, and it can take years to become good. How long does it take to get a decent ship how long does it take it to get into the pvp? The pvp concept really appeals to me but i just simply have months to spare just to get into the game. That being said if it does take a long time to get into, will I still enjoy this game? 

Waiting for: Archeage, Darkfall 2.0, and Planetside 2.

R.I.P Shadowbane; The best MMORPG I've ever played...

Check out my amateur gaming blog at: Thegamingbible.com

Comments

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

you can get into one of the most dangerous ships within 24 hours give or take (Rifter)

you can get into pvp and have some kills under your belt a few hours after the tutorial

but to really get into the game and get used to it and really settle in, i would say 3 months

• VendakuVendaku Member Posts: 77

Honestly, it takes a hell of a long time to become useful in Eve. PvP wise. The most you can do right now if you're a new player is act as support in Pvp. Take a frigate and jump the enemy with warp scramblers, then let your more powerful mates take them out.

To get a decent ship? Few weeks probably. But it does take a very long time to get your skills up to truly enjoy the game.

Personally, I pay the subscription for Eve and all I do is train skills whilst playing other MMO's. I kind of hate the idea of having newb skills. So I just patiently train 24/7. Don't play much anymore though. Not yet.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

No one but you can tell you if you will enjoy the game.

You can PVP since day 1 basically.

Preferred ship for big fleet ops is battleship, 2-3 months training.

Originally posted by Sunbelt

Honestly, it takes a hell of a long time to become useful in Eve. PvP wise. The most you can do right now if you're a new player is act as support in Pvp. Take a frigate and jump the enemy with warp scramblers, then let your more powerful mates take them out.

To get a decent ship? Few weeks probably. But it does take a very long time to get your skills up to truly enjoy the game.

Personally, I pay the subscription for Eve and all I do is train skills whilst playing other MMO's. I kind of hate the idea of having newb skills. So I just patiently train 24/7. Don't play much anymore though. Not yet.

you are doing it wrong

(really all your points that you stated is what not to do or are incorrect about them)

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

You can take a look at EveMon or the like to see how many years it will take to be useful aside from being fodder.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

There is lots you can do that doesn't involve straight up PvP right away.   You can run missions.  You can mine.  You can salvage.   You can be a high-sec ratter(kill NPC rats in high-sec) in asteroid belts and protect miners.   Those are just a few things you can do for starters.    Once you get some skills under your belt and know how to do a little combat then you can try some PvP in low-sec.    Try to find a good corp first though.     EvE is very open ended and there are a myriad of ways to participate in the game.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

i'll use this thread to put out another question...

And how long does it takes to get into Industry ?

i'm getting lured into EVE as well and was thinking about my potential character. My thoughts are: get deep into industry as Ammo crafter. For combat  i'd have a ship and skills to snipe or maybe tank.

is it possible ?  be useful in PVP but focus in industry at the same time ?

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

It is possible but it will take a long time to specialize in both PvP and industry since they require completely different set of skills. Skills train in real time which is not a big deal for basic skills but improving 1 level on advanced skill can take weeks. This is why many players choose to train each character for one specific role.

One thing you should know however, while per one account you can have up to 3 characters only 1 can train at a time. So, if you want to have 2 chars that train at the same time you will have to open two separate accounts.

Remember, it all depends how far do you want to train in each profession. Going all the way in both will take A LOT of time.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by VirusDancer

You can take a look at EveMon or the like to see how many years it will take to be useful aside from being fodder.

Lol? you dont know what you talking about. You are cannon fodder no matter how old you are in eve. Seriously, in 0.0 fleet battles even capital ships are fodder to supercapitals. think about that.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

you can get into one of the most dangerous ships within 24 hours give or take (Rifter)

you can get into pvp and have some kills under your belt a few hours after the tutorial

but to really get into the game and get used to it and really settle in, i would say 3 months

You can be a stealth bomber pilot for a null sec corp in a couple of months without any problems, and in 6 months you can be a regular on their kill board.

You will die a lot, and it will be hard to learn everything and make money at the same time, but it's there if you want it.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Can't speak for everybody. But I was hooked from the moment my first ship went into hyperspace after the initial tutorial. Think it's the kind of game that is going to peak your intrest from the begining or maybe not at all. I just judeged the game to be a massive challenge and something I would have to learn and thats the next thing that hooked me. Of course everybody is diferent, but this is just my own input.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Originally posted by SanHor

It is possible but it will take a long time to specialize in both PvP and industry since they require completely different set of skills. Skills train in real time which is not a big deal for basic skills but improving 1 level on advanced skill can take weeks. This is why many players choose to train each character for one specific role.

One thing you should know however, while per one account you can have up to 3 characters only 1 can train at a time. So, if you want to have 2 chars that train at the same time you will have to open two separate accounts.

Remember, it all depends how far do you want to train in each profession. Going all the way in both will take A LOT of time.

i'll read more about it and see how possible it is.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by yaminsux

Lol? you dont know what you talking about. You are cannon fodder no matter how old you are in eve. Seriously, in 0.0 fleet battles even capital ships are fodder to supercapitals. think about that.

There is a difference between acceptable losses and fodder spam.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Different aspects to the question of how long does it take to get into Eve. I am going to assume the question to mean how long until you "get into" the game itself and not how long untill you can own everyone in pvp.

For me it was about 2 weeks and a good corp. At the end of 2 weeks with a bit of diligent study on how to play the game you should have a good idea of what to do and where to go and how to play( IE: combat, industry, trading etc). You can do a lot of stuff solo but a good corp will help you progress 10x faster than on your own in knowledge, tactics and sometimes in supplies(IE ships, mods etc).  To get into pvp and have a chance it takes about a month if you know exactly what you are doing, 2 months if you dont.

There are always new players entering eve so if you stay in high security area's your primary competition will be other new players and you will not be behind the curve. Even in High security there are plenty of pvp oppurtunities. By the time your ready to enter low security and 0.0 space you should hopefully know what the heck you are doing and wont need anyone to hold your hand. On average 3 months to low security and 6 months to 0.0 security. Just know you will be low man on the totem pole by and large and dont sweat losing a few ships. They are easy to come by so long as you dont try to be a big shot in a tech 2 or tech 3 ship.

If you cant get into the game(IE have fun) within the first month playing...odds are the game just isnt for you. The best option is to get one of the 21 day free trials from the buddy keys floating around. You will know by the end of the trial whether the game is for you or not. If you choose to subscribe during the trial all of the free time leftover is added on to your first month so you will never lose any of your free time from the trials.

There are several newbie channels and help channels that provide a ton of general information. The tutorials are good and if you decide to play do them all, even if its an area of the game you dont think will excite you.

It is an interesting game that is constantly evolving. CCP is making enough money to keep the development going so its definately still fun to play.

Originally posted by yaminsux

There is a difference between acceptable losses and fodder spam.

not if you follow this simple rule, dont fly what you can;t afford to loose,

besides if you are new and in a corp, they will most likely

A) give you a ship to go loose, which you can buy back with the insurance pay

B)bring you in missions or ratting so you leach iskies out of the bounties, 

if none of those conditions apply change corps

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

I'm not gonna get in to a big long threadnaught with you or anything - it's your time and your money. All I can say is that I suspect you're cheating yourself, because while your character is training skills, you aren't.

I have seen over and over and over, the results of this "I will wait until I have the 10/20/50/100 million SP that I think I need to "compete" in PVP before I start" and it always turns out badly. All that happens is that you'll do your learning in 200mill HACs rather than 2.5mill frigates. Then we have to read your bitterpost complaining that EVE is a grindfest because you have spend 9475649 hours missioning to pay for each 5 seconds you PvP.

Or maybe not, Maybe you're that one guy that's different, I dunno. Anyway, best of luck.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• VendakuVendaku Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Malcanis

I'm not gonna get in to a big long threadnaught with you or anything - it's your time and your money. All I can say is that I suspect you're cheating yourself, because while your character is training skills, you aren't.

I have seen over and over and over, the results of this "I will wait until I have the 10/20/50/100 million SP that I think I need to "compete" in PVP before I start" and it always turns out badly. All that happens is that you'll do your learning in 200mill HACs rather than 2.5mill frigates. Then we have to read your bitterpost complaining that EVE is a grindfest because you have spend 9475649 hours missioning to pay for each 5 seconds you PvP.

Or maybe not, Maybe you're that one guy that's different, I dunno. Anyway, best of luck.

Lol. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so vague. My bad. I have been training skills so I can feel less like a newb later on, but the real reason I am not playing at the moment is because I am maxing learning skills. All of them, to lv5. Then doing a remap and maxing perception/willpower to train my gunnery skills. And somewhat because I always join boring and/or useless corps that never really do the things I aim for. Such as, Lv4 missions right now. So because of that, I also wish to get my skills up in order to Solo them myself with my BS.

I agree with you though, at least partially. I am not personally training skills as a player. But I do possess the basic knowledge in order to slowly advance myself when I get back to playing a lot again.

• MokweeMokwee Member Posts: 286

Id advise you to go find another game. Eve will bring you nothing but sadness

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

How long does it take to get into Eve?

I don't know...

I fell in love with the lore and setting right away and after about a month of trials (trying out a few playstyles,races before buying) I subbed.

I think i was fully immersed in Eve forever after about three weeks into my paid sub.

Everyone is different though.

Edit: on the topic of pvp viability I was flying a Vigil and learning how to tackle on my first day of my pvp career. Considering we got quite a few kills that day I would consider that viable.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by fooflinger

I'm really starting to develop an interest to this game as I love the sandbox concept, and the idea of massive corporation battles really appeals to me. However, I remember reading awhile back that it's very complex to get into, and it can take years to become good. How long does it take to get a decent ship how long does it take it to get into the pvp? The pvp concept really appeals to me but i just simply have months to spare just to get into the game. That being said if it does take a long time to get into, will I still enjoy this game? 

if you are into PVP, dont fly what you can't afford to lose, simple.

it's THE sandbox mmorpg imo.

If you have enough money to buy cheapass frigates to go fight in, np, if you spend it all on that one very expensive ship, same thing.

Just be prepared to cope with losing those ships and you should be allright.

There's no 'pwning ship', 99% are grouping in this game so it's basicly how well you can adapt to group tactic and do your role.

Don't believe the ppl that say you have to learn for multiple years to catch up with the veterans, it ain't true, I see veterans get nuked daily by players in cheap lowskill ships.  There's a use for every type of player ingame, and while you play and enjoy the game you will learn more skills and you have a bigger selection of ships+equipment.

I owuld just advise you to do your own thing and stick by it.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Malcanis

Lol. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so vague. My bad. I have been training skills so I can feel less like a newb later on, but the real reason I am not playing at the moment is because I am maxing learning skills. All of them, to lv5. Then doing a remap and maxing perception/willpower to train my gunnery skills. And somewhat because I always join boring and/or useless corps that never really do the things I aim for. Such as, Lv4 missions right now. So because of that, I also wish to get my skills up in order to Solo them myself with my BS.

I agree with you though, at least partially. I am not personally training skills as a player. But I do possess the basic knowledge in order to slowly advance myself when I get back to playing a lot again.

Well jeez at least go join Red vs Blue or something. You're paying for the game, why not play it?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• SpliffsanSpliffsan Member Posts: 34

simple answer: Your whole life

WTF podded again?

• tddavistddavis Member Posts: 159

tackler is probably the fastest way to get into eve PVP, it will take you some time though. got to train into scramblers and webs. than the rest is just training skills for dodge tanking because you will practically be 1 shot if something hits you as a tackler. it would probably take 3 months to half decently fly a Tackling ship.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by Mokwee

Id advise you to go find another game. Eve will bring you nothing but sadness

I agree.  Completely useless "game".  I won't rehash things that have been posted tenthousand times already but don't waste your time and money on something ultimately unrewarding.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343

I started having a ton of fun Day 1 of the game. 

If anything the more and more skills I get, and the more and more toys I have in game at my disposal, the less fun the game is becoming.