Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on STO from a casual perspective.

kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

When the game was released I just purchased a foreclosed home that needed about 15k worth of work done to it so I literally played 3 days then was off the next month.  I already purchased a year subscription so wasn't concerned about playing for the first six months since I truely believe any MMO is total suckage now during that period.

After we got in the home I started to play.

My first feelings is this, 1-10 in the same shitty ship that EVERYONE else is in is absolutely a dumb idea.  Mind you it took me a week or so to get into my science ship if not longer(End of Feb)  After I got my next vessel(science) the game was starting to pick up, it was a world of difference.

Now its End of may, officially been out for nearly 4 months and I'm Commander 3.  Why so lax on the level considering I pounded out a 20-80 in AoC in a week when the guild needed a different class?  The game doesn't change.

What I mean to further explain is this.  Whenever you reach a new rank you have 10 levels of the same stuff.  Meaning if you are twinking an alt, you buy your stuff at Lt.Commander 1, Commander 1, etc.  Nothing inbetween.  NADA ZIP.  What that means is effectively your grinding because you really can't better yourself(sure you might by a quest giving something slightly better, but its not really going to happen if you purchase stuff for your alt)

All that boils down to a game that is no different than COH but less variety.  Ground PVP is the funnest I've had in this game.  Space combat leaves a lot to be desired.  Like I want to control the battle from the bridge not worry about my f'in manueveuring.  Its more about doing the same thing over and over in a bad setting.  (Though I must say combat around astroids and other objects at least make it more tactical)

If I played this hardcore like I play most MMO's I would of been burnt out in a month.  Is the game what I expected from Cryptic, pretty much(I play COH only for a month or so when it was released but played it longer later on when things got adjusted) 

So how to fix it to make me log in everyday?  Add some real loot tables.  Some real missions that constitute more than go kill 500 fucking klingons on this backwater planet in shitsville galaxy holding some backwater scientist or diplomats.  Make me fight from a bridge and get rid of this 50 on fucking one spaceship shit.

Until then I'll continue to work my way towards the cap and enjoy when I play.  But don't expect me sit down and get all into it as there isn't anything to get into other that another backwater planet and galaxy. (Probably exactly what a company wants, someone to play that plays about 10-20hrs a month if that)

Comments

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

^ Would you like to join our secret club? The one the fanboys don't know about?

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Good post, I feel the same about this game.  It is to the point now where I just get fed up with the same missions over and over again that I just log off right in the middle of them or let my 5 year old finish them for me.

• KhorsKhors Member Posts: 147

Originally posted by kilun

Whenever you reach a new rank you have 10 levels of the same stuff.

Sorry that you got duped into purchasing an extented sub....the horror with be over soon, but until then, yes, every level is a nightmarish repeat of the previous 10 levels over and over and over again.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Well, the only difference between levels really is every 10 lvls when you get a new ship to grind to the next one ten lvls later.

There are some mildly interesting drops along the way I understand.

• Azen77Azen77 Member UncommonPosts: 125

The only way I can imagine anyone playing this game is if they had no idea what to expect from an MMO, and just were a big star trek fan (ie SUPER VIDEO GAME VIRGIN). Happily I don't have the experiences from having purchased the game because I only played the trial.

After the character creation which was about the best part of my experience (only because I love making characters), it was all so very bleak after that. Right from the time you start I was amazed at how honestly horrible it was. Everything from the delay from keypress to walk animation, to the skills, to the lead by the nose quest markers, to the space combat, to the....I feel bad to rag on a game that takes so many people so much time to make...but I feel worse that someone actually got paid to make the decisions that led to this games' release as well.

UO,AC1&2,EQ1&2,DAOC,SB,SWG,FFXI, Horizons,EvE,E&B,AO,WoW,VG, Lineage,GW,TR,LotR,AoC,CoH,DDO a myriad of FtP...and still looking...

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I'm going to agree with the OP with a lot of stuff. Having to use my Miranda class for the first 10 levels was painful. I ended up grinding through three or four levels as fast as I could because I couldn't wait to get rid of that damned ship.

The time between ranks does feel like a waste and a grind. I was hoping these cool missions that everyone was talking about would spice up the leveling... No such luck. That Guardian of Forever mission everyone was raving over? It consists of killing 5 Klingon squadrens, beaming down to a ship and killing hordes of Klingons. There isn't even any really cool loot to get after the mission was over. It also struck me as incredibly stupid that you'd send an advanced starship 70 years back in time to do all this stuff (what I would have done if I was Cryptic is I would have sent the player back to take command of a Constitution class ship from that era, it also would have made more sense fighting D7 Klingon ships that are 4 levels higher than you (seriously? A 70 year old Klingon ship is able to go toe to toe with my advanced Starfleet future ship??). Then at the end I would have had the original Constitution class ship unlocked as an alternative for the Lt. Com. cruiser as an extra special loot bonus.)

I expect that all the super cool missions they are talking about consist of "kill 5 X squadrens, beam down and kill all X enemy." Highly dissapointing.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

this game is a casual gamers delight , the op's  perspective is not from a casual players view , A casual player does not check in and think " Ive got to get to lvl 80 or Admiral in a week "  or even a couple of months that is a hard core view and although there is nothing wrong with that thinking that is not a casual perspective.   I think if anyone played this game say 6 to 12 hours a week they would enjoy it, that is what i do . A little sto a little fallout 3 maybe throw in some risen with a dash of puzzle quest and a recipy for happiness.  For me to play a game especially an mmo for more then 13 hours a week is a recipy for stress and burn out and yes sto is not made for that , I would not play my favorite game Vanguard for that many hours .  So if your opinion of sto is that it sucks that is fine, I just dont agree with your "casual perspecttve" 

Originally posted by eddieg50

this game is a casual gamers delight , the op's  perspective is not from a casual players view , A casual player does not check in and think " Ive got to get to lvl 80 or Admiral in a week "  or even a couple of months that is a hard core view and although there is nothing wrong with that thinking that is not a casual perspective.   I think if anyone played this game say 6 to 12 hours a week they would enjoy it, that is what i do . A little sto a little fallout 3 maybe throw in some risen with a dash of puzzle quest and a recipy for happiness.  For me to play a game especially an mmo for more then 13 hours a week is a recipy for stress and burn out and yes sto is not made for that , I would not play my favorite game Vanguard for that many hours .  So if your opinion of sto is that it sucks that is fine, I just dont agree with your "casual perspecttve" 

Then STO really s/b a F2P with item mall. It isn't designed to be played as often or provide an in depth game experience? Then price it that way. Not only do Cryptic want you to pay premium price for a "MMO" that you say should be played a little over an hour a day at most, they want you to buy content other (real) MMOs provide as free expansions.

Fail. (The game, not you eddie)

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Die_Scream

Then STO really s/b a F2P with item mall. It isn't designed to be played as often or provide an in depth game experience? Then price it that way. Not only do Cryptic want you to pay premium price for a "MMO" that you say should be played a little over an hour a day at most, they want you to buy content other (real) MMOs provide as free expansions.

I agree, there are many online games that are over priced.  Look at Sony I think they were still charging 15 a month for Matrix online when it was on the death bed. Right now Lotro and AOC offer pretty good deals if you are willing to sign up for 6 mo or a year , but its amazing that one of the biggest companies in the world Sony tries to rip people off right and left and yes Cryptic is not much better.

I agree, there are many online games that are over priced.  Look at Sony I think they were still charging 15 a month for Matrix online when it was on the death bed. Right now Lotro and AOC offer pretty good deals if you are willing to sign up for 6 mo or a year , but its amazing that one of the biggest companies in the world Sony tries to rip people off right and left and yes Cryptic is not much better.

We are discussing Cryptic though I agree with you about Sony to an extent.

AoC (with RotGS) and LOTRO are so far superior to STO as far as themeparks it's ridiculous.

STO is just awful in comparison.

We are discussing Cryptic though I agree with you about Sony to an extent.

AoC (with RotGS) and LOTRO are so far superior to STO as far as themeparks it's ridiculous.

STO is just awful in comparison.

STO would have been an awesome single player game. Ten years ago.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

Originally posted by Azen77

The only way I can imagine anyone playing this game is if they had no idea what to expect from an MMO, and just were a big star trek fan (ie SUPER VIDEO GAME VIRGIN). Happily I don't have the experiences from having purchased the game because I only played the trial.

Then you lack imagination. I have played a lot of MMOs and am enjoying STO immensely.  I spent over 18 months in LOTRO and COH respectively. I am still an active player in DDO and just finished a LONG play stint in EVE. I have also played in numerous other MMOs for shorter periods.

I am not saying STO is a better game, but I am saying I am having a good time.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Mopar63

Then you lack imagination. I have played a lot of MMOs and am enjoying STO immensely.  I spent over 18 months in LOTRO and COH respectively. I am still an active player in DDO and just finished a LONG play stint in EVE. I have also played in numerous other MMOs for shorter periods.

well  honestly a large part of any mmo is who you play with, even more than the game itself. having said that i found a good group of people in sto, but the game was so bad i quit anyways. ive played all the titles you have mentioned ( and some others) and i would say that sto is by a very large margin the worst of all of them.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

This may not reflect on how good or bad the game is or if it is challengeing but my 5 year old has a Fed Eng who is a LT9 and he did it all by himself, keep in mind that he can not read yet but knows how to play because everything repeats itself.  Funny thing is that he even knows not to pick up the fuzzy things (tribbles) because they fill up all his bags.  I must admit that he does have a problem with space battles and he dies alot, but on ground combat it is very rare that he gets killed.

• Azen77Azen77 Member UncommonPosts: 125

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1

This may not reflect on how good or bad the game is or if it is challengeing but my 5 year old has a Fed Eng who is a LT9 and he did it all by himself, keep in mind that he can not read yet but knows how to play because everything repeats itself.  Funny thing is that he even knows not to pick up the fuzzy things (tribbles) because they fill up all his bags.  I must admit that he does have a problem with space battles and he dies alot, but on ground combat it is very rare that he gets killed.

Haha awesome maybe they are just targeting the wrong market? I guess I'll agree with the above that I don't have the imagination of a 5 year old...I take back my earlier comments.

UO,AC1&2,EQ1&2,DAOC,SB,SWG,FFXI, Horizons,EvE,E&B,AO,WoW,VG, Lineage,GW,TR,LotR,AoC,CoH,DDO a myriad of FtP...and still looking...

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Deleted User

Haha awesome maybe they are just targeting the wrong market? I guess I'll agree with the above that I don't have the imagination of a 5 year old...I take back my earlier comments.

when sto Wii come out? you can use the steering wheel to fly your ship ........ hmm sto on wii...... might not be a bad idea?

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Yep, if you make a game you are supposed to play in a casual way (30mins or 1hr/day at most) you can't price it the same as AAA+ fully-featured hardcore-oriented games with 10x more content. 15-20$ a box plus 4-5$ a month could be ok (i'd even buy it).

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by raistalin69

Originally posted by Deleted User

when sto Wii come out? you can use the steering wheel to fly your ship ........ hmm sto on wii...... might not be a bad idea?

Everything on the Wii is a bad joke, except Wii Resort of course.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

I have heard similar stories in wow.

Originally posted by raistalin69

well  honestly a large part of any mmo is who you play with, even more than the game itself. having said that i found a good group of people in sto, but the game was so bad i quit anyways. ive played all the titles you have mentioned ( and some others) and i would say that sto is by a very large margin the worst of all of them.

I agree that the people are more important than the game and that is true with ANY MMO. I will disagree about it being the worst but then again I think an important fact gets overlooked here. This is all OPINION. Just becuase I like something does not mean others will.

My daughter loves Randy Travis, I want to barf when I hear his voice. However does not make her liking Randy Travis bad. My wife loves to watch Ghost Hunters and I want to spend the night laughing at them. Again just because she likes them and I do not does not make the show bad.

A good MMO is MORE about personal opinion and the people you play with than the quality of the game. Truth is if we looked at pure game play most MMOs really SUCK! However it is more than that. With this in mind I never ceased to be amazed at the JERK attitude of most MMO players. If they do not like the way a game is made then it MUST be bad and anyone playing it stupid. If you do not like a game more power to you but do you need to harrass those that do?

Now this tirade is NOT directed at the poster above, you stated an opinion in a respectful manner.

Personally I am enjoying STO and feel I am getting my money's worth from the gaming experience. I am running with a great group of guys and look forward to my play time. I am not rushing through but savoring every mission and moment and living my Star Trek fantasy in a way I have not been able to since SFC.

If someone else does not enjoy it, I can understand that, nothing in the world makes everyone happy. But rather than being a whining 3 year old that wants to cry and have a fit becuase he did not get the toy car from the box of crcaker jacks, try actually accepting that not everything is about your self centered moronic ass and  go find something you do enjoy. If I wanted to hear bitching about stupid crap I would have stayed married to my X.

Soap Box off

If someone else does not enjoy it, I can understand that, nothing in the world makes everyone happy. But rather than being a whining 3 year old that wants to cry and have a fit becuase he did not get the toy car from the box of crcaker jacks, try actually accepting that not everything is about your self centered moronic ass and  go find something you do enjoy. If I wanted to hear bitching about stupid crap I would have stayed married to my X.

Soap Box off

You've  persuaded me to rethink my positions on Cryptic's customer service, the quality of their product, and whether or not they've kept up with the statements they really made, and my feeling like I got ripped off. I was completely wrong about all of it!

I'm logging into STO right now!:)

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

Originally posted by saxifr

You've  persuaded me to rethink my positions on Cryptic's customer service, the quality of their product, and whether or not they've kept up with the statements they really made, and my feeling like I got ripped off. I was completely wrong about all of it!

I could care less what your position is of Cryptic and have no desire to change your point of view. My rant is not about making people like a game they do not like. What I am hoping is that somewhere along the way the morons that spent time spewing hate speach about a game they do not like will move along.

There is nothing wrong with not enjoying a game, but that does not make it bad for everyone. If you have a bad experience with a company that is truly sad and I feel bad for you but that does noit make them bad for everyone. In my opinion if you have a bad experience with a company you should voice it once, let people know what happened but then move on.

The problem is these people do not move on. They will sit in forums and pounce on any thread that shows someone having fun with the game. If you are enjoying the game in their posts they try to make a point of claiming you have no clue and are a some kind of twit because your opinion disagrees.

See I have no problems with people posting that they do not like a game, as I said everyone will not like the same thing and a well written review showing why the game fails for you is a great thing because it gives information to others that might matter to them. The same with counter perspectives. However way to many morons are not content to do that, they seek to actively try and attacvk people that enjoy a game they feel has slighted them in some way.

In your particular case Saxifr I am sorry you feel ripped off. I really feel MMO companies should offer 30 days free trials to let people to get a feel of the game before jumping in with their money. However as with all things in life we try something and if we like it we stay and if we do not we dont.

^ I haven't really seen any hate speech applied to Cryptic. I don't think there are any posts denigrating Cryptic or its employees for their religious views, ethnicity, gender, etc.

I do see a lot of criticism, valid and otherwise.

But not any hate speech.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• SpiderpopeSpiderpope Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by saxifr

I could care less what your position is of Cryptic and have no desire to change your point of view. My rant is not about making people like a game they do not like. What I am hoping is that somewhere along the way the morons that spent time spewing hate speach about a game they do not like will move along.

There is nothing wrong with not enjoying a game, but that does not make it bad for everyone. If you have a bad experience with a company that is truly sad and I feel bad for you but that does noit make them bad for everyone. In my opinion if you have a bad experience with a company you should voice it once, let people know what happened but then move on.

The problem is these people do not move on. They will sit in forums and pounce on any thread that shows someone having fun with the game. If you are enjoying the game in their posts they try to make a point of claiming you have no clue and are a some kind of twit because your opinion disagrees.

See I have no problems with people posting that they do not like a game, as I said everyone will not like the same thing and a well written review showing why the game fails for you is a great thing because it gives information to others that might matter to them. The same with counter perspectives. However way to many morons are not content to do that, they seek to actively try and attacvk people that enjoy a game they feel has slighted them in some way.

In your particular case Saxifr I am sorry you feel ripped off. I really feel MMO companies should offer 30 days free trials to let people to get a feel of the game before jumping in with their money. However as with all things in life we try something and if we like it we stay and if we do not we dont.

It's couldn't care less, not could care less. Sorry but like David Mitchell, that corruption of the phrase irritates me no end. "I could care less" is telling us you do in fact care about something, because you could care less than you do about it.

But back on topic, why should those who dislike the game "move on"? They have as much right to post their comments about the game on its various forums as those who love it.  

But i agree it's wrong to attack others for their opinions, but it is not just those who dislike the game who are guilty of that particular sin. I've lost count of the number of posts i have seen around the internet outright insulting those who didn't like STO, whilst others cheer them on.

Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-pope.

I agree it is a two way street and should be called out from both sides.