Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Companions

123457»

Comments

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by rebelhero1

The day that happens is the day terminator irl happens.

LOL

Indeed. SkyNet has better things to do than run MMOs.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I don't know which is worse really. The people like doubter who only look for the bad things in everything they hear, or in the case of this game, have no concrete info about, or the people who go off claiming a game that a game we still know very little about is going to be the greatest game ever.

People like doubter may have reasons for only looking at the half empty game box (instead of a glass :P).  Many games released, AND NOT just MMO's, have been lacking, in favor of faster release and money NOW.

People claiming games such as TOR are the holy grail with so little info just want the same thing people like doubter want, except they look at everything from the game box as half full.  Both sides can be right, but it seems in this case, both sides just won't wait for more information.

Every week that small info is released about this game, people jump all over it. They take a third of a quote and twist it to fit what they feel about the game.  Even if information says that what they just "figured out" is incorrect, they ignore it for what they want.

It does seem like a lot of people here have a preconcieved notion of this and other games, and nothing except information or release would change that.  Yet instead of waiting for the information, they just shout they are right, and everyone else is an idiot doesn't make sense.  People aren't working for bioware/EA, nor are they working against a competitor of them, yet it seems like they are on crusades against either.

Wait a few months for much more detailed information.  Guessing and second guessing EVERYTHING about this game does get kinda old <.<.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by Swanea

I don't know which is worse really. The people like doubter who only look for the bad things in everything they hear, or in the case of this game, have no concrete info about, or the people who go off claiming a game that a game we still know very little about is going to be the greatest game ever.

People like doubter may have reasons for only looking at the half empty game box (instead of a glass :P).  Many games released, AND NOT just MMO's, have been lacking, in favor of faster release and money NOW.

People claiming games such as TOR are the holy grail with so little info just want the same thing people like doubter want, except they look at everything from the game box as half full.  Both sides can be right, but it seems in this case, both sides just won't wait for more information.

Every week that small info is released about this game, people jump all over it. They take a third of a quote and twist it to fit what they feel about the game.  Even if information says that what they just "figured out" is incorrect, they ignore it for what they want.

It does seem like a lot of people here have a preconcieved notion of this and other games, and nothing except information or release would change that.  Yet instead of waiting for the information, they just shout they are right, and everyone else is an idiot doesn't make sense.  People aren't working for bioware/EA, nor are they working against a competitor of them, yet it seems like they are on crusades against either.

Wait a few months for much more detailed information.  Guessing and second guessing EVERYTHING about this game does get kinda old <.<.

You couldn't be more correct. Some people just like to try and pass off their opinions as facts, which in turn makes them look like nothing more than an agitaitng troll. They go on and on posting about things that Bioware has already stated as a fact and then try and twist it to somehow fit why TOR is not being made with them specfically in mind. I also agree, people need to learn some patience and not speculate on nothing that has not been 100% released as a fact.

As for the other end of the spectrum. People need to understand that it's only a game and becoming so overaly hyped tends to lead into some disapointment. TOR nor any other MMO will ever be everything for everyone.

• bobbadudbobbadud Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by greed0104

Theres 200+ hours of class story gameplay the devs said.

The flashpoints are instanced areas of story based gameplay

The game is 10 percent instanced and 90% open world.

Now lets apply that to the class story gameplay.

20 hours of instanced gameplay out of 200 hours.  That would leave 180 hours left if we base it on the numbers given.

Yeah, thats reaching... but I think that would be the best estimate instead of grasping at numbers.

We'll see what they show at E3. Beta seems to be around the corner...

There is something I'm curious about, they say there is two forms of quests in ToR, class quests and group quests. Are the group quests already a part of those 200 hours of class gameplay?

20 hours out of 200 sounds reasonable, wouldn't be surprised if this was correct.

As for E3, this was posted here before, http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/8103/g4tv-will-broadcast-30-minutes-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-at-e3

I'll be brief (because it is half off topic),

Since DragonAge uses the same story telling techniques: most players play it "out" in 1 to 2 weeks top.

Who of you is still playing DA now ?

It shows you can not use the same (story telling) technique with in game videos and voice over features in an MMORPG.

----- > I bet the "hardcore" will have played "out" the first content of a class within one week of launch of SW:TOR.

And then what? What about investing those 150.000.000 $ in gameplay instead of NPC's companions and voiced over video footage of NPC's?

How about investing in real mmorpg gameplay. Sorry, hardly any info: "we make a game with the most pre recorded voice ever".

Since when was that important in an on line players game?

NPC Companions - with pre recorded audio/video to overcome content : why even bother to use NPC's in an on line game based on .... players on line?

Wrong investments in MMo's. Bioware simply hit the ball completely wrong for long term gameplay.

Even the makers of Farmville know better why people play on line games.

Oh, I forgot, Bioware only made solo single player games until now ... with companions and even full partys.  So it is rather logical they use these techniques of replacing players with NPC's and prerecorded voices.

It’s embarrassing when an NPC compliments you in an MMo, the only relevant, cool and epic things come from players whispering you “Grtz, mate, we did it”. copyright Pilnkplonk

• potapithikospotapithikos Member Posts: 178

"I play MMOs to kill players"

And yet you claim to be satisfied with what you've seen and heard so far from Bioware regarding TOR. I guess our understandings of PvP and RvR are completely different so there's no point to argue further.

If one does not like 'groundless speculation' - one is free to leave the forum until release.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Originally posted by potapithikos

"I play MMOs to kill players"

And yet you claim to be satisfied with what you've seen and heard so far from Bioware regarding TOR. I guess our understandings of PvP and RvR are completely different so there's no point to argue further.

Good job misunderstanding. I play MMOs to kill players, this is what I enjoy the most. This does not mean I wont be pveing.

Will pvp be in the game? Yes.

Satisfied, now follow the rest bellow

I've liked everything I've seen so far

Nice try, try again.

Originally posted by bobbadud

Since DragonAge uses the same story telling techniques: most players play it "out" in 1 to 2 weeks top.

I do,  even though I've unlocked almost every achievement I still have fun with the game.

It shows you can not use the same (story telling) technique with in game videos and voice over features in an MMORPG.

----- > I bet the "hardcore" will have played "out" the first content of a class within one week of launch of SW:TOR.

•  The game is not aimed at the Hardcore player but the Star Wars, RPG and Bioware Fans- GamesRadar

And then what? What about investing those 150.000.000 $ in gameplay instead of NPC's companions and voiced over video footage of NPC's?

• End Game Content like Raiding is available if players do not want to re roll- MMOGamer

How about investing in real mmorpg gameplay. Sorry, hardly any info: "we make a game with the most pre recorded voice ever".

Why you mad? Because the game wasn't made for you in mind?

NPC Companions - with pre recorded audio/video to overcome content : why even bother to use NPC's in an on line game based on .... players on line?

Wrong investments in MMo's. Bioware simply hit the ball completely wrong for long term gameplay.

Oh, I forgot, Bioware only made solo single player games until now ... with companions and even full partys.  So it is rather logical they use these techniques of replacing players with NPC's and prerecorded voices.

Yup, you mad.

After about half way through I got bored of explaining why I'll play ToR, go find a game you'll enjoy.

After about half way through I got bored of explaining why I'll play ToR, go find a game you'll enjoy.

Why you bored, because the post wasn't written for you?

Seriously, though, that was a very weak reply.

Might as well just stick your fingers in your ears and go "LALALA..."

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Why you bored, because the post wasn't written for you?

Seriously, though, that was a very weak reply.

Might as well just stick your fingers in your ears and go "LALALA..."

Simple doubter, I'm bored of giving the same replies over the last few months to people. I didn't know I was supposed to say anything clever, what I ended with was some healthy advice.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

I can see the value of companions. For example, you and a couple of younger family members want to run an instance. You can use companions to fill out the last couple of slots. Like most things regarding SWToR, I am willing to wait for Bioware to show us when they are ready. 

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Originally posted by bobbadud

Theres 200+ hours of class story gameplay the devs said.

The flashpoints are instanced areas of story based gameplay

The game is 10 percent instanced and 90% open world.

Now lets apply that to the class story gameplay.

20 hours of instanced gameplay out of 200 hours.  That would leave 180 hours left if we base it on the numbers given.

Yeah, thats reaching... but I think that would be the best estimate instead of grasping at numbers.

We'll see what they show at E3. Beta seems to be around the corner...

There is something I'm curious about, they say there is two forms of quests in ToR, class quests and group quests. Are the group quests already a part of those 200 hours of class gameplay?

20 hours out of 200 sounds reasonable, wouldn't be surprised if this was correct.

As for E3, this was posted here before, http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/8103/g4tv-will-broadcast-30-minutes-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-at-e3

I've played through Dragon Age many times and have even started messing with it again. Having a storyline for my character will be interesting in ToR. I don't see how it will stop anyone from grouping. The biggest drawback to grouping is the other people you meet. Grouping was great when people actually communicated with each other. In my experience people now just use groups as a way to get better loot and form no lasting friendships with other players.