Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a standard strategy when it comes to leveling certain jobs first?

I began FFXI recently and after reading several misc forums and wiki's..they tend to point to leveling the Thief job first...with the theory that starting out, you don't have lots of gil and that eventually subbing Thief is the way to go to help aid this misfortune.  So I created one.  But it got me thinking.  Is this standard?  I assume most vets that play this eventually gain all sorts of jobs. 

So as a beginner, what job should be first?

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Maybe as a soloer you could go thief for the money, but if you have hopes of grouping and actually making good XP, go WAR, RDM or WHM. Everyone needs healers, and WHM makes a great sub-job to almost anything, and I remember there always being a lack of tanks. At least early on, it becomes a well needed specialty later on.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I'd definitely recommend either RDM or MNK first. 

BLM is horrible, WHM is too slow considering soloing to 20 is much faster and easier than trying to party. 

Red mage is good all around job you can do lots of things with, good soloer... Monk is good soloer at first too. 

If you go Monk, start Warrior at 18 after unlocking support job. Then get Warrior to 30 and unlock whatever job you want to play as to the end.

If ou go RDM, level WHM or BLM alongside it and try to endure. When you hit 30 you can play pretty much any mage job you want from there.

So if you want to be a melee, get Mnk to 18 then War to 30.. If you want to be mage, Rdm is fast job to take to 30.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by SeriphinX

I began FFXI recently and after reading several misc forums and wiki's..they tend to point to leveling the Thief job first...with the theory that starting out, you don't have lots of gil and that eventually subbing Thief is the way to go to help aid this misfortune.  So I created one.  But it got me thinking.  Is this standard?  I assume most vets that play this eventually gain all sorts of jobs. 

So as a beginner, what job should be first?

Honestly leveling thf first is the way to go. The reason being is Treasure hunter and gil finder. Drop rates aren't the best and TH1 (Treasure hunter 1) can help out in that area and gil finder increases the amount of gil you will get from mobs that drop it..

The reason many suggest lvl'ing thf first is for many reasons.

1) better drop rate on scrolls you may need as a mage, gear, weapons etc.

2) It makes farming more profitable. Better drop rate on Beehive chips and silk thread and later on tiger fangs or w/e you choose as your primary farming income.

3) A job that can AoE such as BLM can tran mobs and then AoE them and kill them for some nice pop's in cash and items with /thf.

Starting out it is good advice to lvl thf first. If it isn't the job you wish to play it's good to get it out of the way early. It helps in NM camping, Farming, and even many quests. TH1 for coffer key hunting for your AF is better than no TH at all.

So yes I would definetly do thf first as w/e job you wish to lvl can get costly in the end and you will eventually wish you had lvl'd thf for at least a sub at some point if you don't do it now.

But the choice is ultimately yours. Thf just makes your start in FFXI easier and allows you to make the gil you need easier.

• rentalrental Member Posts: 3

It would depends, for a new player I would suggest to level numerous classes to 20 since you would want your subjob to be minimum at half the level of the main job. eg. War/nin 40/20.

The easiest to level solo at lower level is the warrior, buy some meat jerky and your attack impovement would make 1-10 a cruise. At 18 level you can start the subjob quest and collect the materials needed for the subjobs. Enabling your subjob allows a second class to add to first class, though you only level your main class.

Eg. Warrior/monk 20/10, this means you are currently a 20lvl warrior but you have 10lvl monk skills to add. It become invaluable at higher level cause some subjob aid the role of the main job.

THF sub are mainly NIN or DNC, so it would be good to consider the following:

Warrior 1-20

THF/WAR 1-40 (or till you manage to unlock ninja)

NIN 1-37

then continue THF/NIN 40-75

Any job combinations are good, but unless u have a few friends leveling with you, you would find certain jobs less in demand during the formation of a party.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Also I may add in, don't always keep going for the next highest lvl mob you can handle either starting out.   When you start everything will con Decent challenge but once you hit lvl 2 or 3 those same mobs will start to con easy but still give a good amount of XP.  Sure you can venture out a little further and find some decent mobs again but they'll only hit harder and take longer to kill for what 10more xp making you have to rest sooner.

Anyway my point is, especially starting out and playing THF and wanting to get more gil, and drops and things to sell right away, stick to the easy prey consisitently even as the xp continues to drop considerably.  This way you're getting 20, 30, 50x more kills and chances at more things to drop per lvl, you're taking very little damage and once you figure out the tricks of the controls you can switch mobs at killing blows and run to the next and never put your weapons aways most times. 

Its still exciting this way, {XP adds much faster than going for the hardest mob you can handle for 80-100xp then having to rest 1min afterward, maybe getting 1-2drops} and you're getting more loot to sell to fund your adventure.  You can do this method will all jobs too when you're lvling them starting at lvl 1-20, and just sub /thf and repeat...it works well!  And don't forget to grab an FoV page every hour too, and a regen buff.

There are really so many possibiliites and strategies and locales; oh and the best part, doing it this way you can get away with only upgrading your weapons once or twice, and not buying any new gear until lvl 10-12+  The rags you start in will suffice, but better armor does help if you're not good at managing aggro from other mobs around you ...hehe